Mason Mount's Misfortune

sparx99

I’m going to be in the minority here but I still don’t think £55m is an overpay in the current market. He’s a player who has been a mainstay for Chelsea and England and won a CL. Similar players like Rice went for £40m more because of their longer contracts. Lesser players like Gibbs-White moved for £40m or so. His price is basically broadly right in the market.

His injury issues are a different story. He’d always had a very good fitness record until the injury which kept him out much of last year. Given the extensive medical that players go through they must have been satisfied with it. So Mount seems to have just been really unlucky at the worst time.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I’m going to be in the minority here but I still don’t think £55m is an overpay in the current market. He’s a player who has been a mainstay for Chelsea and England and won a CL. Similar players like Rice went for £40m more because of their longer contracts. Lesser players like Gibbs-White moved for £40m or so. His price is basically broadly right in the market.

His injury issues are a different story. He’d always had a very good fitness record until the injury which kept him out much of last year. Given the extensive medical that players go through they must have been satisfied with it. So Mount seems to have just been really unlucky at the worst time.
It was an overwhelming overpay given in a matter of months he'd have been free.
I say that even if he'd been fit.

TsuWave

Mason Mount Much Maligned Many Months Mysteriously Missing Madness Manchester Midfielder

when we get to the next calendar month "March" will have to be included in there somewhere

Dion

Rice is considerably better though, so it's not a like for like and it wasn't just because of his contract.

AndyMUFC

He's not a bad player, I just don't know where he fits in.

It's the Van De Beek issue all over again.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
Mason Mount Much Maligned Many Months Mysteriously Missing Madness Manchester Midfielder

when we get to the next calendar month "March" will have to be included in there somewhere
Medical Miracle Maybe March? May?

Valencia Shin Crosses

If people have learned anything from the Hojlund experience, it is that you need to be patent with new players. Some catch fire to start then fade to irrelevance (Di Maria...my god), but many take some time to get going. Mount is the type of player you need to give some serious slack to because his talent is unquestioned...so if hes just given time to get going he is going to be a stud for us IMHO.
His talent is quite questioned actually :lol:

And it's not remotely comparable to Hojlund. Mount has been in the PL for 4 years now; Hojlund was a 20 year old raw striker prospect that played a single year in Italy before we signed him.

crossy1686

career ending

If we paid £55m for Lingard would you consider that an overpay? Because that's the kind of player we got, but more injury prone. And the discussion about fee isn't really relevant anyway because he would have been free this summer.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
This one still boggles the mind. With a limited budget he is not a #8 we needed, yet we seem to have bought him for that position nonetheless. He’s not a good enough #10 post Bruno either, where he misses vision and passing range. I think at best he’d be a squad player when fit, especially after signings in the coming summer..

Borys

Statistics Wizard

It isn't really an "overpay" if he turns out to be a good transfer. We definitely didn't expect him to be out for almost the entire season, so hindsight is 20/20.
We needed him NOW because Fred contract was up. I don't mind this fee really, the main thing is we can easily recoup the money we paid for him (contrary to for example Antony).

Rojofiam

If we paid £55m for Lingard would you consider that an overpay? Because that's the kind of player we got, but more injury prone. And the discussion about fee isn't really relevant anyway because he would have been free this summer.
Clueless :lol:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This one still boggles the mind. With a limited budget he is not a #8 we needed, yet we seem to have bought him for that position nonetheless. He’s not a good enough #10 post Bruno either, where he misses vision and passing range. I think at best he’d be a squad player when fit, especially after signings in the coming summer..
ETH thinks that a midfield of two no 10s can work. It sort of did with Eriksen and Bruno and he believed that Mount could do the same. Unfortunately anyone who understand the EPL know that football is very physical there. A 5ft11 attacking midfielder would struggle to adapt in a deeper role both physically and mentally (its against his nature to play this deep) unless he's Paul Scholes. Now add that to the fact that Casemiro is getting old and that all our flank men think they're frigging Cristiano Ronaldo and you'll have a recipe for disaster. The work rate is simply not there.

But that's not the mess up we have in CM. We lack tall players in defense. That's well and good in normal circumstances but in terms of set pieces and corners that's a problem as imps can't win a header battle against the typical 6ft3 opponent. Thus inches must come from somewhere else which is why McT is used so much. That's a problem because McT can only bring 2 things to the table ie a good eye for goal and his height.

Which leads us to the question of why we didn't plan for this. First of all it made zero sense to get a DM at the end of his career on silly money. Legs are the first to go. Secondly we should have brought a deep lying playmaker who can help in defensive duties. We went for Mount instead

Borys

Statistics Wizard
ETH thinks that a midfield of two no 10s can work. It sort of did with Eriksen and Bruno and he believed that Mount could do the same. Unfortunately anyone who understand the EPL know that football is very physical there. A 5ft11 attacking midfielder would struggle to adapt in a deeper role both physically and mentally (its against his nature to play this deep) unless he's Paul Scholes. Now add that to the fact that Casemiro is getting old and that all our flank men think they're frigging Cristiano Ronaldo and you'll have a recipe for disaster. The work rate is simply not there.

But that's not the mess up we have in CM. We lack tall players in defense. That's well and good in normal circumstances but in terms of set pieces and corners that's a problem as imps can't win a header battle against the typical 6ft3 opponent. Thus inches must come from somewhere else which is why McT is used so much. That's a problem because McT can only bring 2 things to the table ie a good eye for goal and his height.

Which leads us to the question of why we didn't plan for this. First of all it made zero sense to get a DM at the end of his career on silly money. Legs are the first to go. Secondly we should have brought a deep lying playmaker who can help in defensive duties. We went for Mount instead
This is very simple, but accurate problem description. One remark however is that it could probably work with one "small" midfielder, but definitely not two - so the fact ETH planned on leaving Casemiro on his own in midfield is ridiculous.

We are at the point that a powerhouse DM is probably what we need, as we can field him with some good on the ball midfielders in Mainoo and Mount/Bruno (Mount fits this system much more than Bruno imo).

AndySmith1990

Do we buy players who are already injury prone or is it only when they join United they start missing long periods of the season? It happens too often for it to be passed off as bad luck

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Do we buy players who are already injury prone or is it only when they join United they start missing long periods of the season? It happens too often for it to be passed off as bad luck
He missed most of last season

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Don't think I'd count Mount as injury prone yet. Throughout his career, only last year (1 period) and this year (two) has he been injured. If it happens again though, he'll definitely be the borderline.

OT_United

When Conor Gallagher was available for £50m we seriously bought the wrong player from Chelsea.

Robertd0803

When Conor Gallagher was available for £50m we seriously bought the wrong player from Chelsea.
Unless they are selling Cole Palmer we should just stop buying from Chelsea full stop.

(That being said they have so many players Ive lost track of half of them).

Scottynaldinho

Mason Mount Much Maligned Many Months Mysteriously Missing Madness Manchester Midfielder Mamma Mia

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Send him back to Chelsea in the summer. They love him there and he loves them too, so if they can work out a fee, I’d Robbie Keane him immediately.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
His talent is quite questioned actually :lol:

And it's not remotely comparable to Hojlund. Mount has been in the PL for 4 years now; Hojlund was a 20 year old raw striker prospect that played a single year in Italy before we signed him.
Indeed.
I'd also add that Hojlund has a lot to prove. Scoring a few goals in the league (his average goals/game is very low) proves nothing.
A few years ago, some believed Martial would go onto become one of the best in the World. We are now at stage where we can't sell him if we wanted to.
So, let's just wait and see if Hojulnd turns out to be good-great.

Regarding Mason Mount - it's been an absolute disastrous debut season for him. If we'd bought prime Messi and he was injured for his first season - this would be a viable gamble, but Mount has never been a great player.
We overpaid for him and given that he clearly has injury woes, this makes it an even worse deal for us.
In any case, next year he should be assessed and if he has a weak season, he should be ejected from the team. I am sick and tired of us hanging onto deadwood as if our lives depend on it.

sparx99

Rice is considerably better though, so it's not a like for like and it wasn't just because of his contract.
Sure, but had Mount had 4 years on his deal he wouldn't have even been available and if he was sold would be much more than 55m.

Dion

Sure, but had Mount had 4 years on his deal he wouldn't have even been available and if he was sold would be much more than 55m.
Much is a stretch. Nowhere near what Rice went for, certainly.

sparx99

Much is a stretch. Nowhere near what Rice went for, certainly.
There is 50m difference in their price. Quite a big difference and room for Mount to have been much more expensive and still significantly cheaper than Rice.

caid

Send him back to Chelsea in the summer. They love him there and he loves them too, so if they can work out a fee, I’d Robbie Keane him immediately.
Yup, same. I'm starting to think McTominay makes more sense even if you want to play 2 no 10's. Bit grim but his height is useful. I think i'd want mainoo to take his position most of the time though.

thisisnottaken1

Such a stupid signing. Injury prone, too expensive, and already plays in the position of our captain. The people who authorised it need to be placed on gardening leave.

Dion

There is 40m difference in their price. Quite a big difference and room for Mount to have been much more expensive and still significantly cheaper than Rice.
And you said similar player, I was pointing out Rice is significantly superior so not really a similar player. So a much better player with much longer on his contract, Mount really was overpriced by that metric.