Mason Mount's Misfortune

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Surprised he got the number 7. I was expecting Mount to receive number 67 or 98.

Raven

He's getting the #7 jersey as well? Fecking hell, he'd want to be a lot better than I've ever seen from him.

JTRI

Depay, Di Maria, Owen, Valencia, Cavani and Sanchez all wore number 7 so why is this such an awful shock? The days of that shirt being sacred are long gone and so what, it really means nothing.

Castia

Buzzing with the transfer although the number 7 seems wrong

Oranges038

That is a horrific decision.
Why?

The last few number 7s have been diabolical when wearing it anyway. It's only a number and if you let that matter or dictate how you play your game then you are fcuked.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Depay, Di Maria, Owen, Valencia, Cavani and Sanchez all wore number 7 so why is this such an awful shock? The days of that shirt being sacred are long gone and so what, it really means nothing.
I would assume that most aren't shocked but there is a minority of fans who every year are invested in shirt numbers, for some strange reason.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Hate to imagine how you'd have felt in the 80's!! and then in the 90's when a CF was swanning around with it on his back!
Don’t be sarcastic to him. He has only seen Di Maria, Sanchez and the likes in no. 7 shirt.

Rockets Redglare

As fans, we can choose not to. But it is becoming increasingly important to players as it has a direct impact to their personal brand and therefore more money. Martial got our #9 jersey and launched a brand called AM9. For him to be suddenly made #11 in 2016, would've been a (quite unnecessary) kick in the teeth. Similarly, had Garnacho got our #7, his own profile for potential sponsors would've grown significantly.
So we should give Garnacho who is still basically a child the number 7 so he can grow his brand. Great idea that, do you have anymore?

Newtonius

It's just sad the way we've cheapened the significance of the no.7 shirt. Another symptom of football losing it's soul, shirt numbers are now irrelevant.
Crazy innit why do these people even support this club City is down the road if you just want good football.

And so, Eric Cantona was the next up in the lineage of the sevens.

“In general, it’s the number 10," states King Eric. "But at Manchester United, it means something more. It [Manchester] was a city for the number seven. The number seven is someone who can create things, sometimes one who needs to be free.

“Sir Alex Ferguson gave me this number. I play football like I play in the streets, like I play with my friends, the fans love this kind of player."
“I was a Manchester United fan from probably four or five years old, you know? As far as I can remember," he says. "You were always aware of how important the number seven shirt was.”

Becks goes on to explain that he had just had one of the best seasons of his career wearing the number 10 and that he got a call from Sir Alex Ferguson, who had explained to him that incoming striker Teddy Sheringham would be taking that number from him and that they’ll see him at pre-season training.

After arriving for pre-season training, Becks explained that he was invited into the manager’s office and asked how he was feeling, when he explained that he really loved the number 10, he was told he was getting the number 7.

“I think I cried,” he says. “My dad was the first person that I phoned. He was a Bobby Charlton fan, that’s why my middle name is Robert. My dad was a hardcore United fan, so the fact that I was then his son, playing for Manchester United, wearing the number seven shirt, I knew how important that was.”
“All players know, in Manchester and around the world as well, that the number seven is a mythic number at this club," he explains.

“In the beginning, when I signed for Manchester, I was very nervous to see the full stadium. The passion that the fans have for football, it kind of surprised me a lot.

“Sir Alex Ferguson said to me, ‘You’re going to take the number seven. It was that kind of moment that you never forget. I knew the history of the number seven in the club, But at the same time, I was feeling good, After an experienced manager, and an experienced person [Sir Alex] knew that Cristiano was the right player to wear that shirt.”

kaku06

Vulgarian
The amount of people losing their shit about a shirt number which has been irrelevant for the last 15 years anyway. :lol: Bloody hell.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Signing has warmed on me. Seems to have the right attitude, personality as well as the physical attributes to it too. Having an extra offensive energy beside Bruno, who can make darting runs into the box will be big for us.

Love the boiling piss of some seeing him get the number 7.
An easy comeback to “should have given it to Garnacho” is just putting on unnecessary pressure on an 18 year old who has hardly solidified a starting berth just yet.

Mount alone will not make this summer a successful one, but I can definitely see why he’s the mould of player Ten Hagg wants.

All aboard the Mount train. Looking forward to seeing him work with Bruno, Rashford, Casemiro and hopefully a decent striker who’ll be able to finish off his set pieces.

Hopefully we’ll see a lot of people on here with egg on their faces later in to the season.

MOUNT, MOUNT, MAAASON MOUNT, HE COST US 60MILLION POUNDS, COME OOON..

(To the tune of that god awful chant someone shared yesterday).

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Why?

The last few number 7s have been diabolical when wearing it anyway. It's only a number and if you let that matter or dictate how you play your game then you are fcuked.
Because it’s iconic and these things matter. For legacy and marketing.

tomaldinho1

You're overthinking based on rigid ideas of what those positions mean, I think.

If you look at the position on the pitch Eriksen/Fred were actually occupying during a lot of games in the second half of the season, it was high right alongside Bruno as #8/#10 hybrids. As opposed to the start of the season, where they were taking up deeper positions more often.

The former is where Mount will play, and it's an area of the pitch he is already used to operating in. Whether that midfield works more generally I have no idea, but the role for Mount in it is crystal clear.
I don't think this is true.

1. Bruno is very rarely alongside Eriksen or Fred, he's sometimes further forward than our CF(!) and the vast bulk of his activity is in the opposition half. He is why we have to have a CM pair in my mind because he's so rogue positionally.
  2. Eriksen plays the Kroos RM role (which obviously is what Case is used to), where he drops off left in the CM pair and you'll see their heat maps are very similar. Obviously he is not as good as Kroos but it suits him being a less athletic player who is a good passer and he does not get as far forward.
  3. Mount is very rarely central at all, he does some defensive work but the bulk of where he's active is LW, he is a much more offensive player than Eriksen. Included previous seasons as well, he is clearly a wide attacking midfielder.
  4. Fred for comparison is basically the opposite to Mount, his work is more done in defensive areas on the left, he obviously didn't start that many games but you can see he is a very different player to Eriksen and not alongside Bruno.
  5. I'm putting Case in there so you can see the obscene amount of ground he already covers, in my mind replacing Eriksen with Mount just further stretches him. The OG, the Don, the Case in point.

Heat map Bruno in the PL: Bruno Fernandes stats and ratings | Sofascore
Heat map Eriksen in the PL: Christian Eriksen stats and ratings | Sofascore
Heat Map Fred in the PL: Fred stats and ratings | Sofascore
Heat Map Casemiro in the PL: Casemiro stats and ratings | Sofascore

Heat Map Mount in the PL: Mason Mount stats and ratings | Sofascore
21/22: Mason Mount stats and ratings | Sofascore
20/21: Mason Mount stats and ratings | Sofascore

Look I get ETH can put him in the team as an 8, I get he might surprise me and be good and you'll be right, but he's not played the role before and I think it's pretty conclusive.

Adamsk7

Michael Owen, Depay and Antonio Valencia have been no.7, let alone much better players who haven’t exactly been stellar wearing it - Ronaldo (2nd time), Cavani and Di Maria.

NOBODY should be up in arms about it going to Mount when the history of it in the last 10+ years has been the above.

We need to demystify the number and take the pressure off - it was never the shirt number that made the (few!) iconic players who wore it special.

Welcome Mason Mount! Hope he takes his talents and maximises them at our club. Very happy with this signing.

OverratedOpinion

I feel its unnecessary pressure to put on a player we've arguably overpaid for. Especially given the history of the shirt since Ronaldos first stint.
Good start but you need to throw in a few more words like "discrace" and talk about Robson, Best and Cantona a bit more.

Brightonian

If everyone is fit I think our strongest line up still includes Eriksen over Mount - he's definitely upgradeable with someone like Caceido but I struggle to see it with Mount because he's just never really played that role and I doubt you can just slot into it despite being a very intelligent player. Case on his own (any player to be honest on their own) is super high risk. If we do see him there we are going to have to dominate the ball to the a similar level as City do because that midfield three in transition (Case/Mount/Bruno) is a disaster waiting to happen if we don't.

I can see Rashford being our 9 this season and Mount starting LW. For me we'd lack a lot of pace in the attack that way given Bruno, Mount and Antony are not that fast. Only other thing I guess we aren't discussing is Antony getting dropped for Mount given there are rumours he's got this reoccurring ankle issue so we'd have Rashford - Martial - Mount as a front three.
I think that move to two #8s ahead of one #6 is exactly what Ten Hag is doing. It's how he has generally preferred to play, how he started to play with us in the second half of the season, and it's the way many top teams currently line up.

Yes, it's always going to be a risk to make that transition, because you need the possession and the quick press to work immediately otherwise there's too much pressure on the #6. That's probably why ETH has pushed hard for Mount, because he's proven in that role, proven in the league, and because he's shown through his Chelsea career that his form isn't especially fragile; move him between positions, change his teammates, change tactics, he still basically produces the same thing reliably. Only last season's absolute shambles has finally thrown his attacking stats, but even then his defensive work from the front remains rock solid, in fact league-leading in a number of key metrics.

So if Ten Hag is taking the plunge to switch formations, Mount is a sensible acquisition to do it with. And Casemiro is as good a DM as you can hope to do it with.

My concern isn't the three first-choice players we'll be building this new look midfield around. It's the difficulty of replacing them. Eriksen can cover Bruno's role. Fred can sort of cover Mount's role, but badly - positional intelligence is so key. And no-one can even slightly cover Casemiro's role. The second he's injured or suspended, we'd have to go back to the double pivot, which hardly helps build familiarity with a new system.

I'd say hopefully we're looking at a back-up DM (Joao Neves at Benfica would be tidy), but given the priority need for a CF and a GK, I doubt it's realistic.

Giggsy13

Re the "one major player" point: surely a GK would have been more major than Mount...
Not when you consider the average age of our starting midfield will be 30. We needed to get younger and better, and he is an upgrade over Eriksen who should be a rotational player.

tomaldinho1

5 mins onwards. Although given your logic that Eriksen will start and Mount is a left winger I'd say you thinking something about it is flawed is not going to be worth all that much to me.

Was Rooney a left winger? Was Eto'o?
The fact you seem to be comparing Rooney and Eto'o to Mount makes me think your username might be correct.

I can't see the source of the stats - it looks like Footystats but it's not because his numbers are much lower on there (68th percentile for blocked shot per 90) so unless we know that and can compare other players it's not particularly valuable.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
My ’general supporter of football’ view is that Mount is a very good signing and that some folk would find life easier if they to kept their focus on things that are actually important rather than getting giddy about things of no consequence. Things like whatever number they put on his shirt.