Mason Mount's Misfortune

tomaldinho1

I don't see how that can be unfortunate since McT is shocking in midfield.
Because it doesn't work as a three, not saying McT should start but would rather we go for mobility/pressing ability given we will be going long ball anyway - so Amrabat, Mainoo, Mount

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
It kind of feels like Baily all over again. The manager who signed him refuses to play him.
A bit strange. You splash out 60 mil on a player to have him warming the bench
Mourinho signed Bailly didnt he? He played a lot in his debut season and in general was pretty good. Then injuries and poor form finished him off after that.

norm87cro

Mourinho signed Bailly didnt he? He played a lot in his debut season and in general was pretty good. Then injuries and poor form finished him off after that.
And that one mistake he made sealed it for him and after that Mourhino didnt want to play him. It actually boggles the mind he didn't get enough minutes when he was available and the same thing is happening to Mount.
Personally I was never a fan of Mount but at least give the man a string of games before judging him.

joedirt87

Agree with you. Put Mount on the wing and let him compete with Antony. I think he'd prove himself to be the better player.
I don't think he's ever dropping Rashford, Antony or Fernandes. Leaves ETH with the option of starting him in that terrible 3 man midfield with the two CMs pushed up way too high that he loves to play (and I think he will return to it at some point), or being a rotation player/fill in for injuries.

Jeffthered

I think his treatment has been dreadful, and all this has done, and will continue to do, is highlight ETH's poor performance in the transfer market. I look at the signings made by Brighton, Newcastle, Spurs, Villa... even West Ham to an extent. All these clubs seem to be able to identify players and get them playing within their existing style of play.

I just think ETH has been found out.

the_cliff

We controlled possession just fine at the back, that was part of the problem. There was no clear route through, which was an issue even with Martinez and Shaw at various points in time. It's the coaching/instructions, but he'll never admit to that. He was banking on clubs pressing us and us being able to find pockets and quick transitional situations to create goals. Clubs have read him like a book and just allow us possession instead and block up routes through the middle to our hybrid 8/10s.
There's always going to be times when there's no clear route through but I think his point was it's easier to get the ball out of the back when you have Martinez and Shaw that have the ability to actually pass forward passes through the lines.

Trying to find a forward pass as a defender in general is a tough ask, you need very good accuracy and probably have a one second pass window to find the man before he's marked again. Unfortunately with the way Maguire/Varane take time on the ball they'll never be good forward passers of the ball.

el3mel

2 goals 3 assist in 12 games isn’t really great numbers though, especially when considering the fact he has been so wasteful with possession. I wouldn’t say he is undroppable based on that.
More than anything Mount achieved in the games he played.

Not undroppable but definitely not for Mason fecking Mount. Bruno is twice the player he's even while being off form.

Mount has no place in the team's starting lineup and it was a wrong signing to start with regardless of his qualities. He can't play ahead of Bruno, can't play on the wing and can't mesh with Casemiro and Bruno in the same midfield.

Craig Ward

We've gone from having very little quality in central midfield to having lots of quality that we don't know what to do with.

We play 2 CM's and an AM. We have quite a deep pool of players in this area now:
Casemiro
Hannibal
Amrabat
Eriksen
Mount
Fernandes
McTominey

With Mainoo and Donny on the fringes.

So your looking at 7 players to compete for 3 places, while finding the correct balance that works for the team.

We've signed Mount at a high price and give him the 7 shirt and caused an almighty fuss on social media about it - so you'd figure he is in the plans.

Current form you'd be hard picked to fight anyone's corner as CM has been letting us down (again).

I'd personally play Fernandes wide right, partly because that allows Mount to come in as AM and partly because Rashford is atrocious there and Anthony is really struggling for form. I don't particularly like Fernandes there, but he is a playmaker who will involve himself in the game more than our other options do. That also stops Fernandes roaming around too deep looking for the ball.

Amrabat and Casemiro can play deep, as Eriksen or McTominey cannot for various reasons.

If we had capable, fit CB's who could play out with the ball I'd opt for 1 CM pivot and 2 roamers, but we barely play the same back 4 and Varane, Maguire and Lindelof are so slow with the ball. A capable ball playing defence would make our CM options a lot easier, but because we are limited there we play 2 deep holders and the whole team is too deep which has knock on effects as we cannot control the tempo or flow of the game or get our forwards involved.

I've gone waaaaay off tanget here.

Mount has to play at some point, upto him to stake a place. Our whole midfield is up for grabs to whoever performs, so its in his hands.

The-Mezzala

Got hammered on here for saying this was a poor signing and it’s proving such. Easily could of paid the extra money and gone for Rice. Bellingham was always going to Madrid but he would obviously be first choice. Murtogh and Ten Hag wasted a huge chunk of the budget when he is no better than what we had tbh.

el3mel

And that one mistake he made sealed it for him and after that Mourhino didnt want to play him. It actually boggles the mind he didn't get enough minutes when he was available and the same thing is happening to Mount.
Personally I was never a fan of Mount but at least give the man a string of games before judging him.
Bailly was a defender whose qualities were all around physicality so when he became injury prone, he became a useless member of the squad.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Got hammered on here for saying this was a poor signing and it’s proving such. Easily could of paid the extra money and gone for Rice. Bellingham was always going to Madrid but he would obviously be first choice. Murtogh and Ten Hag wasted a huge chunk of the budget when he is no better than what we had tbh.
I doubt that, given a high proprtion of the Caf were disappointed with the signing and questioned why we needed him.

dinostar77

We had about as much chance of getting Rice as we did Bellingham i.e. zero.

Yanited__

Feel for the guy Mount cause I feel like he's actually not been that bad since coming back from his first injury. He's a tidy player but feels like he can't really fit into the team with Bruno in there.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

ETH said to Scholes tonight that with the defensive players out we can’t control possession at the back as well and there are gaps in midfield. Explains why Mount is dropping out.
I guess that makes sense. Shaw and Martinez are a level above our other defenders in terms of controlling possession. Once everyone's fit, I assume the plan is to use Mount more frequently and we'll see less of Amrabat.

Oranges038

No it doesn't. He had the odd decent performance, but by and large he was absolutely rubbish.

didz

The front 3 could benefit from having somebody with a pass-first mentality in it. To that end, Mount coming in for Antony would be something I'd like to see, at least until we're good enough to get away with the two free eights schtick.

weizxx

Mason Mount is a magnificent midfielder who mesmerizes audiences with his masterful skills. He possesses a marvelous touch on the ball and exhibits great maturity on the pitch. Mount is a true maestro, managing the midfield with his intelligence and accuracy in passing. His magnetic presence on the field motivates his teammates, and his mobility allows him to cover vast areas of the pitch. He is a model professional, always maintaining a strong work ethic and showing immense dedication to his craft. Mount has a magical ability to manipulate the game, creating numerous chances and making meaningful contributions. His mental strength is remarkable, as he remains composed under pressure and consistently showcases his mental fortitude. Mount's versatility is another standout aspect of his game, as he can play in multiple positions, including the midfield and the attacking line. With his exceptional speed, he can swiftly maneuver past opponents, leaving them mesmerized. Overall, Mason Mount is a marvel in the sport, constantly making an impact and showcasing his immense talent.

by chatGPT

fallengt

We controlled possession just fine at the back, that was part of the problem. There was no clear route through, which was an issue even with Martinez and Shaw at various points in time. It's the coaching/instructions, but he'll never admit to that. He was banking on clubs pressing us and us being able to find pockets and quick transitional situations to create goals. Clubs have read him like a book and just allow us possession instead and block up routes through the middle to our hybrid 8/10s.
They did press us until back line spamming long balls so they stopped. Mctomminey is a false midfielder, every tine he starts, we dont have any form of control. Its really sad
Also Eriksen sub changed to game. I thought MM would replace Rashford as well but look like he has that diva status at this club and cant ve subbed off

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Mason Mount is a magnificent midfielder who mesmerizes audiences with his masterful skills. He possesses a marvelous touch on the ball and exhibits great maturity on the pitch. Mount is a true maestro, managing the midfield with his intelligence and accuracy in passing. His magnetic presence on the field motivates his teammates, and his mobility allows him to cover vast areas of the pitch. He is a model professional, always maintaining a strong work ethic and showing immense dedication to his craft. Mount has a magical ability to manipulate the game, creating numerous chances and making meaningful contributions. His mental strength is remarkable, as he remains composed under pressure and consistently showcases his mental fortitude. Mount's versatility is another standout aspect of his game, as he can play in multiple positions, including the midfield and the attacking line. With his exceptional speed, he can swiftly maneuver past opponents, leaving them mesmerized. Overall, Mason Mount is a marvel in the sport, constantly making an impact and showcasing his immense talent.

by chatGPT
Did Eminem write this?

Devil81

60 million and not in consideration for coming off the bench in a game we were desperate for a goal.

I'm not sure he's a ETH signing, something doesn't sit right with me on this one now.

gaffs

60 million and not in consideration for coming off the bench in a game we were desperate for a goal.

I'm not sure he's a ETH signing, something doesn't sit right with me on this one now.
ETH has a transfer veto. If he didn't like him, he wouldn't have signed him.

He wanted him for a "double 8" formation which failed V Wolves and Spurs. Didn't work so he abandoned ship, just like he did re passing out the back after two losses at the start of the 22/23 season.

You can't play that high pressing system unless the whole of the front line and midfield press together. They have not been drilled to do that.

georgipep

Y'all are extremely quick to give up on players. At least give him a single season with the team before he's considered a failure.

He's still finding his feet in this team. As soon as we don't have a knife to our throat we'll find opportunities for him to make his mark.
He has played very well. His absence now is tactical, not performance related.

georgipep

Complete waste of money, had ten Hag watched England at the WC, he would have realised this also.

We should not be allowing ten Hag to control transfers going forward. Buying Mount and then promoting Mejbri and Mainoo who play the same position is very poor squad management.
For which top club, scouting agency or analytics agency do you work?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
To be fair The issue is changing from the build of structure of last season (3-2-2-3) with vertical passing in the build and the second 8 regular dropping alongside the DM to enable the left fb to join the attack. To the new structure (3-1-3-3), with shifting the ball alongside the back left and right before picking the pass into midfield. It leaves the sole holiding player having to fend off 3 players to receive the ball, with the three infront too high or wide forcing us to pass wide to progress the ball. Way easy to defend against for most teams because all they have to do is funnel our passing into wide areas, significantly reducing our ability to be fluid in passing let alone to create chances.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He’ll get plenty of games before the end of the season.

Oldyella

He's been a fan of Mount's for years. If he doesn't know how to use him that's on him.

Matt851

I guess that makes sense. Shaw and Martinez are a level above our other defenders in terms of controlling possession. Once everyone's fit, I assume the plan is to use Mount more frequently and we'll see less of Amrabat.
Don't really see how those two returning will plug the gaping holes in midfield when we lose possession sufficiently to make the two advanced 8s work

FriedClams

Mason Mount Much Maligned Mysteriously Missing Manchester Midfielder Makes Massive money maintaining mediocrity

El Presidente

I also never see the trio of Case/Mount/Bruno ever working. It was a bad idea in the summer and it's a bad idea now.
I’m not arguing that. Just saying that nothing can be worse than a midfielder that hides from the ball and averages a pass every 15 minutes.