Mason Mount's Misfortune

RuudTom83

Genuinely forget he was at the club.

But all Mount has to do is get himself ahead of McTom, if that task it too great then there is no hope for him.

The team has potential to move on very quickly with the emergence of Mainoo (plus the 25% takeover) so Mount really needs to get himself going before the summer otherwise he might be the new Donny.

AndySmith1990

If we had owners who gave a toss, heads would roll for the disastrous recruitment that has been going on

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
We have more, ‘that’s such a bizarre transfer’ transfers than we do normal transfers

tomaldinho1

Genuinely forget he was at the club.

But all Mount has to do is get himself ahead of McTom, if that task it too great then there is no hope for him.

The team has potential to move on very quickly with the emergence of Mainoo (plus the 25% takeover) so Mount really needs to get himself going before the summer otherwise he might be the new Donny.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
If we had owners who gave a toss, heads would roll for the disastrous recruitment that has been going on
It’s such an odd world. Spending hundreds of millions on failed projects would get the board slung out by most businesses, but we do it over and over again with no recourse

Dan_F

In fairness, the CEO is going, Murtough is probably going and the Glazers are giving up sporting control of the club. I don’t know how many more heads can roll :lol:

Bwuk

He’s got no chance let’s be honest.

Mainoo is going to make himself a starter. Hes too good not too.

Bruno starts every game.

Well want someone with a bit more physicality in there next to them, it’ll be McSauce until Casemiro is back.

Kellyiom

Bruno starts every game.

Well want someone with a bit more physicality in there next to them, it’ll be McSauce until Casemiro is back.
This really has been a baffling transfer hasn't it? It doesn't look as though it's been a fitness issue overall. It seems like the club just randomly buys players with different factions taking turns; 'OK Erik, you had Onana for the last pick, our pick is Mason, see what you can do'.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

Bruno starts every game.

McTominay doesn't even get involved in any buildup, and doesn't really do much defensively (too high up the pitch). You got a point about Casemiro but Mainoo-Mount is as good midfield pairing as any in this squad. But that would mean we're playing Mount as an actual midfielder, and it's quite clear this is not what the manager wants.

ti vu

It’s such an odd world. Spending hundreds of millions on failed projects would get the board slung out by most businesses, but we do it over and over again with no recourse
Glazers' henchmen found a solution to save themselves from being accounted for the issue by giving managers too much power to make transfer targets, which they in many cases overpaid in wage and transfer fee. CEO doesn't sack themselves. The business is still making enough profit for the owners, so the business side is good enough. So sack the managers for underperforming and being responsible for bad transfer!

mikeyt

He may have cost less than Antony and Sancho but will probably prove a bigger waste of money as at least the other two actually played some games and were signed to fill a genuine void in the team. (well we thought Sancho would play on the right)

The most unnecessary outlay of money that could have gone on an actual need.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Like a lot of your failures, he’s a systems player who is failing to operate outside of a coherent system. See also Onana who has a similar issue (I don’t count Antony here who is a terrible, overpriced buy).

At some point you need to stop pointing fingers at the players and start pointing fingers at the coach.

I agree he is overpriced++ with the English premium attached which is why we refused to go for him and opted for macallister (cheaper fee, cheaper pay package) and Szboszlai (similar fee, lower pay package) but he has a similar profile - reasonably technical, hardworking, suited to modern coaching and systems - which is why klopp was keen on him.

From the outside looking in your problem is you have an AVB in ten hag. I’ve thought that right from the off. A tactically astute, hardworking coach who did well with a reasonably well resourced club in a smaller league but quite simply will struggle to translate his ideas in a bigger league at a higher competitive level.

The trickiest thing is identifying which of these coaches will translate their skills onto the bigger stage, and which will simply sink and have to restart their career out of the limelight somewhere smaller.

Gordon Godot

Like a lot of your failures, he’s a systems player who is failing to operate outside of a coherent system. See also Onana who has a similar issue (I don’t count Antony here who is a terrible, overpriced buy).

At some point you need to stop pointing fingers at the players and start pointing fingers at the coach.

I agree he is overpriced++ with the English premium attached which is why we refused to go for him and opted for macallister (cheaper fee, cheaper pay package) and Szboszlai (similar fee, lower pay package) but he has a similar profile - reasonably technical, hardworking, suited to modern coaching and systems - which is why klopp was keen on him.

From the outside looking in your problem is you have an AVB in ten hag. I’ve thought that right from the off. A tactically astute, hardworking coach who did well with a reasonably well resourced club in a smaller league but quite simply will struggle to translate his ideas in a bigger league at a higher competitive level.

The trickiest thing is identifying which of these coaches will translate their skills onto the bigger stage, and which will simply sink and have to restart their career out of the limelight somewhere smaller.
I think ETH could have worked in a strong football structure, which Liverpool have and Ajax used to have. He has and will fail at United where he is allowed too much say over transfers, which is why 80% of signings come from Ajax or Dutch league.

Kellyiom

An AVB? Ha, that's a blast from the past! I really don't know enough about football management at that level to comment but I do understand finances and it's remarkable how much freedom we give managers to commit hundreds of millions of the clubs funds into players both in transfer fees and salaries. It seems like there's a huge disconnect where a manager can be disposed of yet leaves behind several players he bought in for 'his' system or philosophy that don't meet the needs of the incoming staff. I agree 'management by committee' at best dilutes the impact of talented coaches and at worst leads to jumbled thinking but there must be a better way than this, for an organisation valued at over £6bn. To add some perspective that's more than the value of Manchester Airport Group which owns Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports.
Maybe we'll see a Man Utd Dakkar Rallye challenge!

TsuWave

What's going to happen with this guy now? I very much doubt the manager will play him ahead of Bruno, and Mainoo has a place locked.

hobbers

£60m for Mount looks even more ridiculous when you see Mainoo turn out to be a better player in every regard aged 18.

United888

What's going to happen with this guy now? I very much doubt the manager will play him ahead of Bruno, and Mainoo has a place locked.
Ten Hag started him alongside Bruno and Mainoo vs arsenal pre season game. He can still play alongside those two.

TsuWave

Ten Hag started him alongside Bruno and Mainoo vs arsenal pre season game. He can still play alongside those two.
That's too light a midfield for the prem - and a waste of Mainoo's ball playing abilities

slaggy

Mount+Onana

Boggles the mind how this was approved. We could have gotten a genuine world-class player in his prime in for this.

slaggy

Totally misidentifying the strengths and weaknesses of such an established England international is as bad as it gets. Even my ten year old nephew couldnt understand why we'd signed him to play in midfield.
apparently when he gets the ball he turns around well or something

croadyman

Honestly haven't a clue why we signed him and don't see him on bench until probably Luton at earliest

foolsgold

Obviously we paid too much for him, but we need squad depth. Eriksen looks done, Donny is gone, Hannibal is probably not coming back, a good offer for McTominay should see him gone in the summer. Ambrabat will go back to Italy. Gore will probably be out on loan next season.

If we ever get a fit Mason he'll get plenty of game time. "If" is doing a lot of work in the previous sentence though. We can't play Casimiro, Mainoo and Bruno in 60 games a season.

gajender

Obviously we paid too much for him, but we need squad depth. Eriksen looks done, Donny is gone, Hannibal is probably not coming back, a good offer for McTominay should see him gone in the summer. Ambrabat will go back to Italy. Gore will probably be out on loan next season.

If we ever get a fit Mason he'll get plenty of game time. "If" is doing a lot of work in the previous sentence though. We can't play Casimiro, Mainoo and Bruno in 60 games a season.
We should be looking to move on Casemiro and Bruno in Summer if we are serious about getting to back to top and also to reset the finances at United .

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He had 1 year left I believe. How can we pay 60m is beyond me. I think he will come good, could be a good option if Bruno continues that sloppy form, but my good these prices we pay

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United

If we qualify for the Europa League next season, we'll have 8 group games to play. There's going to be plenty of game time for everyone if they're in the main squad of players.

Being able to rotate between Fernandes and Mount or the occasional opportunity to even play them together should be a blessing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The club seem determined to break their own record of VDB being the weirdest signing made in the EPL

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What injury does he have? Seems to be taking forever to heal

foolsgold

We should be looking to move on Casemiro and Bruno in Summer if we are serious about getting to back to top and also to reset the finances at United .
Maybe, I think that both can still offer a lot in the right system, but the money is definitely a problem. The PSR rules seem to have real teeth, United and the rest of the EPL will need a stronger home grown focus.