Mass boycott of the ‘Big 6’

OldSchoolManc

If there was to be a mass boycott of the ‘Super League’ teams, where exactly is their income going to come from?!
Asia, Africa and America where none of the clubs are actually based?
What a farcical situation that would be!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A boycott won't do much

But going after the broadcasters that might be interested in buying the broadcast right can have an effect if they get enough negative publicity

Traub

A boycott won't do much

But going after the broadcasters that might be interested in buying the broadcast right can have an effect if they get enough negative publicity
Going against Amazon and Facebook? This would be a minor inconvenience compared to their privacy problems. Maybe I'm just way too cynical.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Going against Amazon and Facebook? This would be a minor inconvenience compared to their privacy problems. Maybe I'm just way too cynical.
How else would go against Amazon and Facebook, or any company or service, than by boycotting them? It's by far the most powerful tool any of us, as 'consumers', have.
We're just too irresponsible, lazy and spoiled to do it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Legacy fans can boycott it all they like, it won’t make a blind bit of difference.

Traub

How else would go against Amazon and Facebook, or any company or service, than by boycotting them? It's by far the most powerful tool any of us, as 'consumers', have.
We're just too irresponsible, lazy and spoiled to do it.
Yes agreed. What I meant is if everyone still uses Facebook and Amazon right now after the privacy issues and how they treat their employees, I doubt something like this would change consumer behaviour.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
Posted this in another thread - I think fans do have the ability to hit clubs where it hurts..

#UnfollowYourClub

What can we do as fans? A simple yet effective action if you disagree with United signing up to the Super League could be to unfollow all of the Club's social media channels en masse. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and whatever else there might be - unfollow them! (from what I've seen, they have been pretty quiet since this was announced, so you wont be missing much anyway) We know the number of followers/subscribers are an important commercial indicator for Woodward and the business boffins, and we can have an impact on this.

Keep supporting the players and their personal channels.

How do I get a hashtag trending to encourage fans of the other 12 clubs to do the same?

cyberman

Kronke etc are cocooned away in the States, they dont give a feck about boycotts.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They want make money. If those pay for broadcasting the super league, they want to make a profit with it. If they pay a lot for the rights and no one watches it, they won't pay again. In the long run (if it really happens) the existence of the super league is only sustainable if people are interested in that - if not enough are, there is no use in sponsoring teams for playing in it or in paying for the broadcasting rights.

However as mentioned before, this boycott/ignorance would need to happen globally - doesn't change anything, when a million English fans decide not to watch the super league, but 100 million Chinese decide they want to see it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Kronke etc are cocooned away in the States, they dont give a feck about boycotts.
If football fans enacted their boycott by canceling their suscriptions to the services, let's say Amazon Prime, that carry this project, and by refusing to spend their money on anything related to it, they would give a feck.

Or, as @Pogba's Barber writes above, starting by simply unfollowing social media accounts. If the following drops in reaction to this, they will by impacted.
It's just that fans and consumers in general don't take responsibility for, and souvereignty of, their consumption decisions.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If the ESL falls through, I wonder what damage that’ll do to the 6 clubs.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
1. It wouldn’t happen. We can’t just switch off our support for the clubs we’ve grown up loving, despite their cnut owners

2. even if it did, it wouldn’t matter, the owners don’t give a shit about the local fans when there’s so many more “casual” fans all over the world who will buy the shirt every year & support with a smile. If we boycott OT & City boycott the Emptyhad (think they already did?) then we’ll just see the derby in Florida & Abu Dhabi.

the games gone mate.

cyberman

If football fans enacted their boycott by canceling their suscriptions to the services, let's say Amazon Prime, that carry this project, and by refusing to spend their money on anything related to it, they would give a feck.
They wont though. The global audience is huge.
Arsenal fans hated Kronke, marched for God knows how long in protest but Arsenal had them dancing like monkeys in a music video when signing Partey. Green and gold till the club is sold..still not sold.
There will be blowback but its a 23 year deal. Will there be the same passion 5 years down the line when the SL has the best players on the planet playing breath taking games against each other? While they are still playing domestic football but the doomsday scenario didnt happen?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
A hail mary would be something akin to the British Parlamament deciding that football, and more importantly the nature of jeopardy and competition is a important enough part of British culture that it need to be protected, and nationalize the clubs, in turn the clubs are put up for sale and the buyers can purchase the clubs who operate under a new set of rules that protect the sport and ensures its run the way it is today.

A extreme measure for sure, but anyone who's against it are more or less just protecting Daddy Billionaire at that point.

Ignoring the far reaching consequences of something like that happening, it'd almost be worth it just to see the Glazer family see red.

VojjE

Hit them where it hurts. Mass signatures to the big sponsors and broadcasters and platforms that show that the negative PR and boycotts from being associated with the ESL far outwheighs the potential financial gains. Adidas, Nike, Heineken, Playstation - those type of brands. It doesn't matter if they aren't involved now, make them know that affiliating with the ESL would dirty their hands.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
They wont though. The global audience is huge.
Arsenal fans hated Kronke, marched for God knows how long in protest but Arsenal had them dancing like monkeys in a music video when signing Partey. Green and gold till the club is sold..still not sold.
There will be blowback but its a 23 year deal. Will there be the same passion 5 years down the line when the SL has the best players on the planet playing breath taking games against each other? While they are still playing domestic football but the doomsday scenario didnt happen?
Surmising that fans won't boycott (which is a realistic, if depressing, assumption) is not the same as claiming that a boycott would have no impact.

And I'm going to assert that rushing to claim the second means becoming complicit in making the first point's assumption more probable.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
With the international market, there's nothing a domestic boycott would do I'm afraid. These owners probably want the domestic fans to feck off so the bad press stops. The international fans will pick up the slack.

The only thing that'll make a difference is the players and managers of these club's speaking out.

Flying high

A boycott won't do much

The first words, of the first repsonse. :rolleyes:

Really, trying to diminsh the efforts of someone literally trying to save the club. Why do it?

We all know it's going to be a battle to get sufficient engagement, but really, do we have to do this on every thread?

OldSchoolManc

Very sad to hear that a boycott would do nothing.
I’ve only just heard of the term ‘Legacy fan’. Is that the domestic support who have the club’s history in their blood?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
With the international market, there's nothing a domestic boycott would do I'm afraid. These owners probably want the domestic fans to feck off so the bad press stops. The international fans will pick up the slack.

The only thing that'll make a difference is the players and managers of these club's speaking out.
You think half filled Old Trafford and Anfield, acting as secondary libraries with OOTers, will encourage people in America and India to tune in? And pay for the privilege? Most international stuff is knock off shirts made in China and illegal streaming. It's us domestic mugs that pay through our eyeballs.

Judas

Open to offers
The Super League isn't for people who care, its for casual fans, Americans, people in Asia, the ones who fanboy for players over clubs, its not for long term football fans. It's for people who see club badges as a brand name. We don't matter, we're not really needed in this vision they have of the game going forward.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I know it’s not really down to the players and they have their entire livelihood at stake but I’d love to see a players revolt organised by the PFA where the players of the top 6 agree to strike in response to the news.

Judas

Open to offers
I know it’s not really down to the players and they have their entire livelihood at stake but I’d love to see a players revolt organised by the PFA where the players of the top 6 agree to strike in response to the news.
I think this is one of the things that could work, it's nothing without the players.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You think half filled Old Trafford and Anfield, acting as secondary libraries with OOTers, will encourage people in America and India to tune in? And pay for the privilege? Most international stuff is knock off shirts made in China and illegal streaming. It's us domestic mugs that pay through our eyeballs.
I agree with you but I think the stadiums will always pack out. There's no way of organising a mass boycott.

But even if you did, I bet they'll find a way to fill in those seats ....

Or move Old Trafford to Dubai *kill me now*

OldSchoolManc

If this happened, players would get a massive amount of respect.
If there’s gonna be caps on certain conditions in this Super League, it’s in their interest to have an open market anyway isn’t it?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The first words, of the first repsonse. :rolleyes:

Really, trying to diminsh the efforts of someone literally trying to save the club. Why do it?

We all know it's going to be a battle to get sufficient engagement, but really, do we have to do this on every thread?
I suggested a different approach that can have impact?

Check my post history, I am all over this.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm sure a lot of international fans are also disgusted by this.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Sorry. Just frustrated at seeing it in every thread.
That's alright, I rail on posters that attack players and pundits that speak out as well. So maybe I should have been a bit warmer in my reply to begin with.

I support any measure that can help, including a boycott. Fans refusing to attend home games would be a welcome start.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Response to the news that they will potentially earn 2 or 3 times their current wages if the Superleague takes place?

Yes I would love to see that as well, but I don't think it will happen.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
When employees of foxcon started jumping off the roofs of the factories to protest the working conditions. We all still bought the products of MS, apple, nvidia etc. When Foxcon put up giant nets, instead of improving working conditions. We all still bought products from the companies that used foxcon for manufacture.

When we heard about little Asian kids in sweat shops making the footwear we all love so much. We didnt stop buying Nike.

When we heard about warehouse workers at Amazon having to carry around piss bottles. We didnt stop using our prime services to get next day delivery on shit we could pick up anywhere else.

When we read about all the racist abuse on twitter, and how the company was ineffective in clamping down it. We didnt stop using twitter to force them to take it seriously.

Since we didnt change with any of these, why would we change with this? We wont because its our club. Its been stolen by rich American cnuts, but its still our club. The only thing that I can hope is that we all at the very least can become a bunch of Jack Sparrows, sitting in front of the TV in our out of date replica shirts. But even that seems like a stretch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If there was to be a mass boycott of the ‘Super League’ teams, where exactly is their income going to come from?!
Asia, Africa and America where none of the clubs are actually based?
What a farcical situation that would be!
That depends, what % does matchday income make up of the these clubs annual income? That number should tell you how much local fans matter in a discussion like this.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Hit them where it hurts. Mass signatures to the big sponsors and broadcasters and platforms that show that the negative PR and boycotts from being associated with the ESL far outwheighs the potential financial gains. Adidas, Nike, Heineken, Playstation - those type of brands. It doesn't matter if they aren't involved now, make them know that affiliating with the ESL would dirty their hands.
Great post