Matěj Kovář | Leverkusen watch

izec

I think he can go far if he gets the chance. Issue is Hradecky is not great, but he is the captain, so to drop him would need some doing.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I think he can go far if he gets the chance. Issue is Hradecky is not great, but he is the captain, so to drop him would need some doing.
I think Hradecký’s time at Leverkusen is coming to an end anyway. Matty’s got a good chance to become their future no.1 and I’m sure the club sees it that way. He’s so much better than Hradecký with his feet.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think Hradecký’s time at Leverkusen is coming to an end anyway. Matty’s got a good chance to become their future no.1 and I’m sure the club sees it that way. He’s so much better than Hradecký with his feet.
We wouldnt spend that amounf of money for a backuo keeper for sure. I guess Kovar will be built up and integrated into the squad behind Hradecky this season and is supposed to take over the number 1 spot next year.

top1whoisman

Scout
We wouldnt spend that amounf of money for a backuo keeper for sure. I guess Kovar will be built up and integrated into the squad behind Hradecky this season and is supposed to take over the number 1 spot next year.
Yeah pretty much how I see it too.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Captain or not, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Hradecky loses the #1 spot to Kovar this season already. He's so error prone and we are in dire need of a keeper who is good with his feet. It's only a matter of time until Hradecky's next blunder and even without one I could see Kovar displacing him if the training impressions are good enough. He's still contracted until 2026 or so but according to some reports, it has been clearly communicated to him that the plan for him is to be #2 in the last year or two.

top1whoisman

Scout
Captain or not, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Hradecky loses the #1 spot to Kovar this season already. He's so error prone and we are in dire need of a keeper who is good with his feet. It's only a matter of time until Hradecky's next blunder and even without one I could see Kovar displacing him if the training impressions are good enough. He's still contracted until 2026 or so but according to some reports, it has been clearly communicated to him that the plan for him is to be #2 in the last year or two.
Yeah, I could see him moving on as early as next summer, as he wants to play to keep his starting spot for Finland. As you say he is prone to make errors and not the best with his feet. He can still come up with brilliant saves but he's simply not a modern keeper in any way.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah, I could see him moving on as early as next summer, as he wants to play to keep his starting spot for Finland. As you say he is prone to make errors and not the best with his feet. He can still come up with brilliant saves but he's simply not a modern keeper in any way.
Yes, he was pretty good when he arrived but especially under Alonso, we need a different profile :)

top1whoisman

Scout
Yes, he was pretty good when he arrived but especially under Alonso, we need a different profile :)
Yeap, I can totally understand that. The requirements and general style of goalkeeping have changed drastically in the last five years or so.

Last edited:

Varun1

He made some really fine saves and was pretty solid in all his goalkeeping work. He is a very solid keeper who will become a very good player.
Thanks, from the little we saw in pre-season he does look like he'll have a good career.

FerociousCorgis

if life was like FM and we couldve just reloaded a previous save wouldve been fun to see if he couldve made that jump up this year and have used that onana cash for todibo and someone else or whatever ha. But oh well. hope he does well though seems like he should

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He made some really fine saves and was pretty solid in all his goalkeeping work. He is a very solid keeper who will become a very good player.
He had one very bad pass out from the back as well though, just to mention that for full transparency.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Feels like a weird thread. Why are we watching a player we sold? He’s gone and likely won’t come back.
He may very well turn out better than Onana but it seems futile to watch him and pine over what could have been.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Feels like a weird thread. Why are we watching a player we sold? He’s gone and likely won’t come back.
He may very well turn out better than Onana but it seems futile to watch him and pine over what could have been.
Lots of people, myself included, like to see how academy graduates get on in their careers after leaving us.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Lots of people, myself included, like to see how academy graduates get on in their careers after leaving us.
That’s fair enough, but all the ‘could have done well here’ and ‘swap him for Onana’ posts seem futile is all. Especially when his youth career is all they have to judge him on.
I also wish him well, to coin a Caf phrase.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s fair enough, but all the ‘could have done well here’ and ‘swap him for Onana’ posts seem futile is all. Especially when his youth career is all they have to judge him on.
He also had an exceptional year on loan, playing senior football. I’m definitely on board with the idea that letting him go was a bad idea. Although if he was determined to leave maybe that wasn’t an option? It’s a bummer that he looks like a better keeper than Onana though. That’s for sure.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Now you are being weird and trying to police the context of peoples statements. People on this forum also watch other teams and we all pass judgement on ability of guys not playing for us. What does it have to do with Onana?

saik

Should have been kept around at least as a backup. But if he wanted to leave for first team football then fair enough, no point in standing in his way. By all accounts, he had an excellent season on loan last year so good to see him continuing to good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Can we actually have an update on how he's doing rather than some weird passive aggressive thread about Onana?

tomaldinho1

Can we actually have an update on how he's doing rather than some weird passive aggressive thread about Onana?
He’s barely played. Think he’s been given the Europa so had 2 games. They’ve won 2 from 2 against the mighty Molde and Hacken with Qarabag to come. 1 clean sheet versus Hacken and 1 goal conceded versus Molde.

Unless we’ve got a hardcore Leverkusen fan on here and even then it’s a two game sample size, I don’t know how anyone is commenting on this. Be great to see him develop but lord knows how anyone has the gall to start comparing him to other keepers yet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He’s barely played. Think he’s been given the Europa so had 2 games. They’ve won 2 from 2 against the mighty Molde and Hacken with Qarabag to come. 1 clean sheet versus Hacken and 1 goal conceded versus Molde.

Unless we’ve got a hardcore Leverkusen fan on here and even then it’s a two game sample size, I don’t know how anyone is commenting on this. Be great to see him develop but lord knows how anyone has the gall to start comparing him to other keepers yet.
Thank you. Still, a decent start for him, hopefully he can earn more opportunities there over the season.

tomaldinho1

Thank you. Still, a decent start for him, hopefully he can earn more opportunities there over the season.
Yes you'd hope he gets all the cup games (I guess the worry for a young keeper is if they get to the business end will they bring in the No1, hopefully not) and then I guess push to start in a couple of seasons. He's young, hope to see him do well unless we drop in Europa and play them of course.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yes you'd hope he gets all the cup games (I guess the worry for a young keeper is if they get to the business end will they bring in the No1, hopefully not) and then I guess push to start in a couple of seasons. He's young, hope to see him do well unless we drop in Europa and play them of course.
Isn't their number 1 their club captain?

Just seems like an unfortunate move from the perspective of the club and for him. If he was willing to be number 2 he could have stayed put.

Woziak

Just seems like an unfortunate move from the perspective of the club and for him. If he was willing to be number 2 he could have stayed put.
He would be playing now as well this was a terrible decision and probably by ETH we should have kept him as number 2

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He had a good game yesterday and made a crucial save at the end to rescue the 3 points.

In terms of his perspective at the club, the plan seems to be pretty obvious. Hradecky will be number 1 this season while Kovar gets the Europa games. This season is for adapting purposes and I expect him to be number 1 starting from next season forward. We would never pay 7-8 million for someone whos just meant to be a backup keeper for several years.

Davie Moyes

He had a good game yesterday and made a crucial save at the end to rescue the 3 points.

In terms of his perspective at the club, the plan seems to be pretty obvious. Hradecky will be number 1 this season while Kovar gets the Europa games. This season is for adapting purposes and I expect him to be number 1 starting from next season forward. We would never pay 7-8 million for someone whos just meant to be a backup keeper for several years.
Cheers for the update, that makes sense. Hope he does fantastic and then he comes back 'home' (can't remember if we have a sell-on or buy-back or first refusal).

tomaldinho1

He’s 33 though, Kovar is 23. I’ve no doubt they basically said you’ll be No1 within a couple of years if you perform well.

His prospect was stay and barely get a game, loan again but would a top club actually loan an unproven keeper? Or move somewhere he thinks he can actually get No1.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He’s 33 though, Kovar is 23. I’ve no doubt they basically said you’ll be No1 within a couple of years if you perform well.

His prospect was stay and barely get a game, loan again but would a top club actually loan an unproven keeper? Or move somewhere he thinks he can actually get No1.
Apparently, Hradecky was already told in the talks regarding his last extension that he won't be number 1 for the whole duration. Kovar will be pur first keeper within a year or two. I thought Kovar could even have overtaken Hradecky at this point in the season but the latter has surprisingly found some form after being one of the most error prone keepers on the league for two or three years.