Matej Kovar

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Who would people say is better though Kovar or Vitek?
Would also say Kovar, but I also think it's quite close. Vitek has really come on leaps and bounds recently and he's an absolute unit. Kovar is probably the best I have seen for us at youth level though. Excited to see how both progress.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Happy to hear he's gained his confidence back. I remember after he came back, he was a liability for a bit still.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Too short.
Kovář looks every bit as tall as van der Sar or Čech, and taller than all of the current first team goalkeepers!

If anything, he is close to the upper threshold for the position when you consider the great goalkeepers of the modern era.

Idxomer

Kovář looks every bit as tall as van der Sar or Čech, and taller than all of the current first team goalkeepers!

If anything, he is close to the upper threshold for the position when you consider the great goalkeepers of the modern era.
He definitely looks tall enough.

Varun1

Does Kovar have a decent chance to get first team football at Sparta Prague?

arthurka

Played a blinder Vs Iceland U21 some brilliant work to get his team to the Euros.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Seventh clean sheet in his 11th U21 cap.

Does Kovar have a decent chance to get first team football at Sparta Prague?
Yes :) He's played every single league game since his transfer. 19 matches including two in the cup, conceded 21 goals. 7 clean sheets. Out of those 19 matches, Sparta have won 15, drawn 3 and lost 1. Sparta are level with Slavia at the top of the table.

top1whoisman

Scout

I wonder if the answer to our GK conundrum is already at the club?
I truly hope so, he was so impressive at youth level. I think he needs a loan at a more demanding level before we should throw him in the deep end. Another option would be to give him the cup games next season but I feel getting a full season of games in Championship or a top tier league in Europe would be more beneficial.

Bertie Wooster

Great to hear about Kovar.

As others have said, he was very impressive at youth levels. His EFL loans seem to set him back rather than go particularly well. But pleased to hear how well it's going for him at Sparta and with the Czech U21's.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I wonder if the answer to our GK conundrum is already at the club?
Certainly rated him the highest out of all our recent keepers, although it has been an uninspiring bunch.

top1whoisman

Scout

26 matches, 28 conceded, 9 clean sheets. Ended his season with the assist in the clip.

CM

26 matches, 28 conceded, 9 clean sheets. Ended his season with the assist in the clip.
The second clip is so dodgy :lol: That almost certainly gets punished with a goal in the Premier League

Sid234

You're right! That and the cup final on Wednesday. Should've said regular season.
More games under his belt! He seems to have had a very solid loan - hope he gets a loan to a bigger European league next season and gets more games under his belt

kundalini

The second clip is so dodgy :lol: That almost certainly gets punished with a goal in the Premier League
I disagree. It was so bizarre that I doubt any PL forwards would have correctly predicted what he was going to do, so I think he'd have gotten away with it.

whitbyviking

Looked like he didn’t mean to do it, ball seemed to get lost under his feet.

That music belongs in the things that sound sexual thread too, could be the soundtrack

Varun1

For those who have seen him at Sparta, could he have a future as number 1 at United next season? Doubt he'll want to come in as 2nd choice.

Varun1

Why not? Surely the next step would be to be number 2 if we don't bring anyone in with a view to taking over from DDG in the longer term.
Agree, he should be ok as 2nd choice as long as he gets to rotate with DDG and take over the following season. But not permanent 2nd choice, that's what I meant.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why not? Surely the next step would be to be number 2 if we don't bring anyone in with a view to taking over from DDG in the longer term.
Nah, at 23 you want him to be playing week in week out to iron out his weaknesses, unlike outfielders it's immensely difficult to bed in young keepers cause you can hardly sub them in the last 15 minutes of each game. Second choice keepers get about 10 games a season, maybe more if we end up in Europa. We shouldn't be going into next season with de Gea anywhere near the starting spot regardless but that's discussion for another thread.

Cat_knows

I spoke with my friend who is a season ticket holder at Sparta Prague. His review: Kovar is one or two level better than what is necessary for Czech league

aeh1991

We should use him as 2nd GK before deciding whether we need to replace de Gea with an expensive GK signing.

Dazzmondo

Congrats to Matej! Sounds like he had a really good season there. Good option to have as a backup next season.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Looks like he will stay on loan at Sparta for another season.