Matteo Darmian

m1y2

Id be defo okay with injury free Vale and TFM on the right... Darmian is exactly one of those players who will take the game time from the younsgters, despite never making it... he's simply not good enough for the top level, I'd certainly keep him over Rojo though...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Since Mourinho sees TFM as a RB, i guess Darmian has no choice.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Well, it certainly fits the rumours of Darmian being third choice behind Fosu-Mensah and Valencia.

I'd still expect Jose to sign Fabinho if Darmian leaves, though. Valencia is in great form, but you never know. One injury and Fosu-Mensah would be our only available option, which wouldn't be ideal.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wouldn't really be bothered. He seems a bit pointless as a player. I can't think of a single thing he's actually good at. He's sort of average enough at the whole defending thing, but his dribbling is shite, he's not that quick, and his crosses usually end up at the other corner flag. At least Valencia seems to get better at the defending part, is quick, and actually looks like he's figuring out how to cross a football again.

sugar_kane

Seems extreme to be getting rid of this lad already considering the start he had last season.

TFM will be class but he's still fairly raw. I'm struggling to see how he's a safer bet than Matteo.

SambaBoy

He could work well under Mourinho. Part of the reason why last season became so difficult for him was our wing play, or lack of it. Mata is not a natural winger and drifited inside constantly, almost a 10 which meant Darmian had to provide most of the attacking threat down the right side and he's not an attacking full-back.

In all honesty, I thought he was a RWB in Italy so I expected more from him offensively but he's only been here one season and it would be stupid to write him off straight away. I would give him another season at least.

Von Mistelroum

He was a good player before coming here (and for a period afterwards), ruined by Van Gaal like many others I think. Reckon he'll do well at a Serie A club.

dogwithabone

I'm not a fan of Darmian, he's been a massive let down. £10m would be great but I think we should be prepared to recoup half of what we paid and just right the rest off as all part of the clear out.

Marcelinho87

Should be worth £25M, with current player inflation. Would be good to keep him as backup, we have a lot of games to play this year.
Inflation also depends on the clubs willingness to sell... If we didn't want to sell then yes we could demand around that. But as we actively want rid then you have to undercut their value.

RedDevil@84

I would be really sad if he goes. I dont think he would have been first choice RB for NT if he was shite. We cant play with Valencia all season. He deserves another chance under a better manager.

It is different if he desperately wants an out.

GloryHunter07

He'll be kept. We need as many players as possible for the mass rotation that will occur for EL and cup games.
Yep, he is a very good backup for both fullback spots. He will get game time unless TFM absolutely tears it up (which i find unlikely under Jose).

humdinger

Would rather give Darmian another year to prove himself as before he came to us he was pretty highly rated and Valencia really frustrates me sometimes, but at the same time I won't be too bothered if he leaves either.

Kant-ona

I think we will regret letting him go. Still young, a lot of potential and in his better matches for us he was imo superb.

MounchesterUtd

If you had asked me which players I reckon will thrive under JoMo when he was first appointed, Darmian will be either the first or second name in my mind.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Remember that thread where people posted Real/Barca lineups with Darmian in them?

podurban2

I like Darmian, think he is a good and versatile defender who had an average spell under LvG. However, he is incredibly dire going forward and I don't expect him to get better in that area anytime soon.

waza7111

He was brilliant in his first month but looked a completely different player after that. Maybe it was because of LVG who seemed to make almost every player look average. I would give him another season but if it's true that Fosu-Mensah is second choice right back, Darmian is right to leave.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would be really sad if he goes. I dont think he would have been first choice RB for NT if he was shite. We cant play with Valencia all season. He deserves another chance under a better manager.

I used to think that also but Rojo dispelled that theory for me! I'd sell Darmain if the deal was correct and buy another full back. The boy Love looked better than Darmain and we just sold him for buttons. Good to see Jose getting rid of numbers that contribute nothing much.

sully1

LB and RB are our most injured positions over the past few seasons, rather then getting rid of players we need cover in these positions.

Darmian will follow Jose's instructions down to a tee when he gets his chance, he will be a big player for us

Natener

£15 million would be decent.

Shame though he started fantastic then i don't know what happened to him maybe he got vangaaled like others did but he still has a lot to offer the club. Rather keep him at the club over rojo who is complete dog turd.
It all went downhill when Shaw got injured. Shaw is now back running and on fire while Darmian is still down in the gutters. Therefore I conclude, Darmian did some voodoo sacrifice to return us Shaw. Hero.

Ole90+3

We really don't need as many players as possible. Europa league only adds a few more games compared to the CL (assuming we even reach the final) and youngsters can play in the earlier matches. Speaking of youngsters, there's always people on here crying out for the kids to be given a chance. How are they going to be given a chance if we have a massive squad? Jose has never been the kind of manager to massively rotate his teams, which is why he prefers a squad of around 23.
Mourinho has also never been in the Europa League (as far as I'm aware), so he needs to enhance his squad in order to accommodate for the extra games. It plays more of a mental strain on the players who play in both the EL and league games due to the Thursday - Sunday schedule. Yes, it's the same amount days between European and domestic games, but there is a certain demotivation to playing after all your rivals especially if they have picked up their points.

Mourinho was very vocal about the nuisance of Europa League and that it shouldn't really be seen as much of an achievement when he took over at Chelsea second time round, however I got the feeling that he may have been echoing Ibramovich's opinions on the competition rather than his own.

In order to compete in both Europe and the Premier League, teams now more than ever, need a squad with good depth. It's also a great opportunity to keep morale high, as players who would most likely have a back up role for most the season have an opportunity to play 90 minutes of first team football and prove that they merit more game time. Not to mention youngsters having the opportunity to play first team football to stream line their transition to the first team squad.

Who would replace Valencia if he was out for the rest of the season? Darmian can cover both sides of defence, and has only had one season here in which he produced some stellar performances. He fell off big time as the season progressed, but so did most players. He deserves another season.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
...Had a fantastic start"

No, he didn't. He had 2 or good-ish games at best followed by average and downright terrible performances for the rest of the season.

Still, I'd rather keep him as a backup LB than Rojo.

ThanksBoss26

No, he didn't. He had 2 or good-ish games at best followed by average and downright terrible performances for the rest of the season.

Yep, he was iffy for one of the goals at Swansea I seem to recall then woeful a few weeks later at Arsenal and never recovered.

Akshay

Staff

One of him, Rojo or Jones needs selling if the likes of TFM and CBJ are going to get decent game time. Our squad is really bloated in defense.

Ole90+3

Off the top of my head, I remember him being spectacular in a very unspectacular team performance against Wolfsburg at Old Trafford

Ghengis

I remember i was really excited about him after the first few games especially after the one against Aston Villa. When he bullied Richards all game. I liked that he wanted to win by any means and it was refreshing at the time

khoazany

Always think 23 outfield players is too many, even with Europa League etc.21-22 is a fair number (2 different XI, 1-2 extra cover plus a few among them can play different positions).It would take around 7 outfield injuries for the "23th man" to even make the bench assuming strict pecking order.

donkeyfish

He only started one game in the Euros I think. It seemed like he lost his spot to De Sciglio. Was subbed in several times though.

Glanville95

For whatever reason Italians just often fail in this league.

I wanted him to stay, but I don't really care. I don't even think he'd neccesarily need to be replaced with Valencia's form and Mensah waiting in the wings.