Matthew James, Scott Wootton and Oliver Gill all signed professional contracts

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Teen trio turn pro​

Teenagers Matthew James, Scott Wootton and Oliver Gill all signed professional contracts with United on Wednesday 1 July.

The trio impressed last term in the Reserves and Academy sides, with James, in particular, catching the eye with an impressive goal haul.

The Bacup-born 17-year-old (pictured) scored six times for the U18s in just 14 appearances. He also found the net four times for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s second-string, including three spectacular efforts from distance.

Scott Wootton’s contract comes on the back of his first full season at United. The 17-year-old defender arrived from Liverpool last summer and has been a model of reliability and consistency at the heart of the Academy defence.

Alongside him for much of the season was Oliver Gill. Gill, 18 and a commanding presence on the pitch, can play in the middle or on the left side of defence. His height also makes him a threat at attacking set-pieces.

2008/09 in review
Matthew James
Academy - Apps: 14, Goals: 6
Reserves - Apps: 22, Goals: 4

Scott Wootton
Academy - Apps: 27, Goals: 2
Reserves - Apps: 4, Goals: 0

Oliver Gill
Academy - Apps: 18, Goals 0
Reserves - Apps: 13, Goals 0

Link: http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={F9E570E6-407E-44BC-800F-4A3110258114}&newsid=6635556

Oliver Gill? WTF? I hate to think that his father had something to do with it!

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Pretty surprised about Gill, but James was a bit of a no brainer. Class player.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Can anyone provide a definitive list of our pro players?

Here's my go at it - I'm sure the likes of Mr Mujac, Oskarutd, and Nickogs can verify this?

Keepers: Van der Sar, Foster, Kuszczak, Heaton, Amos, Zieler
Defenders: Neville, Evra, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Rafael, Fabio, J.Evans, Gray, Cathcart, C.Evans, Eckersley, Chester, Simpson, Wootton, Gill, De Laet
Midfielders: Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson, Gibson, Possebon, James, Drinkwater, Martin, Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Tosic, Ljajic, Hewson, Cleverley, Eikrem, Petrucci
Forwards: Campbell, Brandy, Welbeck, Macheda, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney, Manucho

2nd years, not yet pros: Dudgeon, R.Brown, Moffatt, Stewart, Norwood, Ajose, King, Devlin, Brady

1st years: Massacci, McGinty, Thorpe, Fryers, Tunnicliffe, Cole, M.Keane, W.Keane, Cofie, Morrison, Hussein, others probably?

oskarutd

Here's my go at it - I'm sure the likes of Mr Mujac, Oskarutd, and Nickogs can verify this?

Defenders: Neville, Evra, Brown, Vidic, Ferdinand, O'Shea, Rafael, Fabio, J.Evans, Gray, Cathcart, C.Evans, Eckersley, Chester, Simpson, Wootton, Gill, De Laet
Midfielders: Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson, Gibson, Possebon, James, Drinkwater, Martin, Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Tosic, Ljajic, Hewson, Cleverley, Eikrem, Petrucci

2nd years, not yet pros: Dudgeon, R.Brown, Moffatt, Stewart, Norwood, Ajose, King, Devlin, Brady

1st years: Massacci, McGinty, Thorpe, Fryers, Tunnicliffe, Cole, M.Keane, W.Keane, Cofie, Morrison, Hussein, others probably?
1st years as well: Johnstone, Gorman and Giverin. + Lingard

PS18

Norwood, Stewart, Moffatt and Dudgeon will be third years this season (if they haven't turned/don't turn pro).

Like Oskar's said, Gorman, Giverin and Johnstone need to be considered, as well as Lingard. First years aren't confirmed yet though (well, they'll have been confirmed, just not officially announced).

sincher

Surely Dudgeon and Norwood will get contracts? Stewart quite likely too... Moffatt might be gone soon?

Gorre a 1st year?

PS18

Gorre's still a U16.

You'd think those three would get new contracts but players can be kept on for a third year as a scholar.

sincher

Thanks guys. Has anyone got a list of our U-16s?

sincher

Updated:

PROS

Midfielders: Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson, Gibson, Possebon, James, Drinkwater, Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Tosic, Ljajic, Hewson, Cleverley, Eikrem, Petrucci
Forwards: Campbell, Brandy, Welbeck, Macheda, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney, Manucho, Obertan

ACADEMY

3rd years: Dudgeon, Stewart, Moffatt, Norwood, Ajose
2nd years: R.Brown, King, Devlin, Brady
1st years: Massacci, McGinty, Thorpe, Fryers, Tunnicliffe, Cole, M.Keane, W.Keane, Cofie, Morrison, Hussein, Johnstone, Lingard, Gorman, Giverin

U-16s

Gorre, Barmby, Blackett, Gomes, Gnahore?, Sutherland, Hendrie, Boland, Hanley, Ekangemene

PS18

Updated:

PROS

ACADEMY

3rd years: Dudgeon, Stewart, Moffatt, Norwood
2nd years: R.Brown, Ajose, King, Devlin, Brady
1st years: Massacci, McGinty, Thorpe, Fryers, Tunnicliffe, Cole, M.Keane, W.Keane, Cofie, Morrison, Hussein, Johnstone, Lingard, Gorman, Giverin

U-16s

Gorre, Barmby, Blackett, Ramm, Gomes, Gnahore, Mellor, Sutherland, Hendrie, Neita, Bullock, Boland, Hanley
Jackson Ramm isn't a United player (not sure if he ever was, possibly just on trial), he's a scholar at Blackburn. Mellor was released.

sincher

Jackson Ramm isn't a United player (not sure if he ever was, possibly just on trial), he's a scholar at Blackburn. Mellor was released.
Ta - edited above.

Tell you what - would be great if your site had mini-profiles of this lot - seems like you know more about them than most.

oskarutd

Updated:

PROS

ACADEMY

3rd years: Dudgeon, Stewart, Moffatt, Norwood
2nd years: R.Brown, Ajose, King, Devlin, Brady

U-16s

Gorre, Barmby, Blackett, Gomes, Gnahore, Sutherland, Hendrie, Neita, Bullock, Boland, Hanley
I think Neita and Bullock are not with us, not sure about Gnahore.

PS18

Ta - edited above.

Tell you what - would be great if your site had mini-profiles of this lot - seems like you know more about them than most.
By the start of the season all the first years and older will be profiled, but can't really do anything about the younger kids for legal reasons (and lack of info).

sincher

By the start of the season all the first years and older will be profiled, but can't really do anything about the younger kids for legal reasons (and lack of info).
Sounds very good to me. Keep up the good work.

westlife4ever

In fairness now that Gill has finished school he should be able to train more and hopefully kick on a bit.
anyone knows if Choccy's son is still at United? iirc Liam McClair & Oliver Gill were the only two "academy students" in the academy.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I think Galbraith (moved to Hibs), Strickland, Bryan, Derbyshire have been released, and some others I've missed.
Evandro Brandao, Chris Curran and Gary Woods also.

Here is a quick update:

Gary Woods now at Doncaster Rovers
Danny Galbraith now at Hibs
Kenny Strickland had trials at Preston, Burnley, Weymouth and Farsley Celtic
Anton Bryan has just returned from a trial at Bristol City
Chris Curran no news
Jimmy Derbyshire no news

lysglimt

Scout
Could be wrong but I thought Liam was only playing for us in that Milk Cup because we were short of players. He's not actually with the club is he?
He was listed on the official homepage a few years back

oskarutd

Updated:

PROS

Midfielders: Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves, Scholes, Anderson, Gibson, Possebon, James, Drinkwater, Nani, Park, Valencia, Giggs, Tosic, Ljajic, Hewson, Cleverley, Eikrem, Petrucci
Forwards: Campbell, Brandy, Welbeck, Macheda, Berbatov, Owen, Rooney, Manucho, Obertan

ACADEMY

3rd years: Dudgeon, Stewart, Moffatt, Norwood, Ajose
2nd years: R.Brown, King, Devlin, Brady

U-16s

Gorre, Barmby, Blackett, Gomes, Gnahore?, Sutherland, Hendrie, Boland, Hanley, Ekangemene
Norwood and Ajose got prefessional contacts this summer according to manutd.com.
Gnahore has left, as well as Boland.

PS18

Dudgeon and Stewart got pro deals too. Ajose should have been in the 2nd years bit of that list too (although like you see, he's turned pro now).