Matthijs De Ligt

prateik

We are going to sign De Ligt and Haaland .. sure.. why not. I totally believe that.

Riola can go feck himself.

Cliche Guevara

Do you not know what generation means?

His generation of football player, his age group, players of his age across all leagues, of whom he has been levels above.
Yeah I do know what generation means:

It’s 25 years.

What you mean is he’s the best of his age. This is why people are getting confused when folk call players Generational Talent left, right and centre. They/you don’t know what generation means.

Brightonian

I was massively keen on us signing him from Ajax but this would be a mistake. The only reason Juve would even consider selling a 20 year old considered to have the talent and drive to become one of the best CBs in the world after spending €75m only one season ago would be if he'd performed so catastrophically poorly that they were convinced he had no chance of even slightly fulfilling his potential. Anyone buying under those circumstances is a mug.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I was massively keen on us signing him from Ajax but this would be a mistake. The only reason Juve would even consider selling a 20 year old considered to have the talent and drive to become one of the best CBs in the world after spending €75m only one season ago would be if he'd performed so catastrophically poorly that they were convinced he had no chance of even slightly fulfilling his potential. Anyone buying under those circumstances is a mug.
Not necessarily. He may have just struggled to adjust to the Italian culture.
Dutch players have a much better track record in the PL.

The lad is clearly a huge talent. However the fact he is a Raiola client is what puts me off the most. Don't want any more of his clients. He's a virus.

Last edited:

Exactly. Plus, he's a Raiola player. I would think given his comments about us recently he's been told we'll have nothing more to do with him. The De Ligt ship has sailed.

Brightonian

Not necessarily. He may have just struggled to adjust to the Italian culture.
Juventus would not sell him after a single season because he was struggling to adjust. He's a 20-year-old they only just bought for €75m. They would have expected an adjustment period, on and off the field.

KennyBurner

It’s 25 years.

What you mean is he’s the best of his age. This is why people are getting confused when folk call players Generational Talent left, right and centre. They/you don’t know what generation means.
The "generational talent" label always gets thrown around for good players. I remember many also calling Felix generational because there was a club stupid enough to pay more than a 100 million for him.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Juventus would not sell him after a single season because he was struggling to adjust. He's a 20-year-old they only just bought for €75m. They would have expected an adjustment period, on and off the field.
Depends. We don't know what's been said behind the scenes if indeed the rumours of him being allowed to leave are true of course.

I don't want him anyway. Raiola can feck off.

Alabaster Codify7

This was one of the mega signings of last summer, why are Juve so keen to offload him or why is he so keen to leave? Something seems weird about it. Raiola pushing for another payday after just 12months?

bsCallout

If he had nothing to do with Raiola then I'd be interested. With Railo, Steer clear.

seegoblu

As much as I want Pogba to stay and reach his potential at the club, if he doesn’t want to stay it’s time to move him. If we could get DL and enough cash to meet Haagland’s release clause from Juve, the rest full transfer kitty could be used to get Sancho and a replacement CM (Tonali) I’d sign up for that transfer window 10/10.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think there's too much emphasis on pace. Some of the best teams in recent years have had two slow CBs, even with the high line. The key is keeping possession and tactical fouling.

RUCK4444

It’s 25 years.

The word is also used to describe an age group, in sports and entertainment in particular, if you call somebody a generational talent it simply means the best of their era / crop.

Also in families if you have kids you refer to them as the next generation, you don’t say ‘oh in 25 years we can call them the next generation.’ :lol:

Rocknrolla69er

Too many taking the mythical bait that Juventus are keen to "offload" him hahaha
Jesus wept, maybe they could be expecting financial troubles so see him as an assett that could bring in much needed funds.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Even if the story is 100% accurate, it still just amounts to us keeping an eye on him. So not much of a story really.
It's an extremely intense glare with both eyes though, so definitely warrants consideration.

Cliche Guevara

The word is also used to describe an age group, in sports and entertainment in particular, if you call somebody a generational talent it simply means the best of their era / crop.

Also in families if you have kids you refer to them as the next generation, you don’t say ‘oh in 25 years we can call them the next generation.’ :lol:
It’s not though is it. You’ve just completely made that up.

And in families they are usually around 25 years apart so they are the next generation now. That’s literally how it works.

You don’t have a kid and go that’s the next generation. Then have another two years later and go that’s the next generation. Then have another two years later and say that’s the next generation. Three generations all under six!

Weird I’m having to explain this to you.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, however.

RUCK4444

It’s not though is it. You’ve just completely made that up.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion, however.
Oh my days you have never heard somebody refer to their children as ‘the next generation.’

‘Next in line to the thrown.’ Etc?

By the way Ive read at least one article today referring to De Ligt as a generational talent.

The Daily Mail has one using the same sentence about the same player my friend.
Now I don’t like journalists but usually they have to be grammatically correct to get the job.

Edit - there ya go fella https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-crazy-turn-chance-signing-Matthijs-Ligt.html

Cliche Guevara

Oh my days you have never heard somebody refer to their children as ‘the next generation.’

‘Next in line to the thrown.’ Etc?

By the way Ive read at least one article today referring to De Ligt as a generational talent.

The Daily Mail has one using the same sentence about the same player my friend.
Now I don’t like journalists but usually they have to be grammatically correct to get the job.

Edit - there ya go fella https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-crazy-turn-chance-signing-Matthijs-Ligt.html
fecking hell of course I have. That’s literally my point. They don’t then say each subsequent child is a new generation, however!

Anyway, that’s plenty!

RedDevilUnited369

This is exactly what Raiola does with Pogba literally to keep him in the news and the price tag high.

However when he does it with Pogba you guys fall for it.

This is the likely situation...

RUCK4444

fecking hell of course I have. That’s literally my point. They don’t then say each subsequent child is a new generation, however!

Anyway, that’s plenty!
I don’t see how your then missing the point of why this is said about footballers?
After all your the one that questioned my use of it.

He’s the best talent from his age group... a generational talent.

It comes back to the fact the term is used in more than one way.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t see how your then missing the point of why this is said about footballers?

I think his point is that your definition almost implies a new ‘generation’ every couple of years or so. It’s a far lesser achievement to be the best in your year than the best in your generation.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Seems no one's mentioned Demiral which could be the reason why Juve would want to offload De Ligt. He looked like a tank before his injury, many saying he's the better player.
Demiral & De Ligt for Chiellini & Bonucci partnership replacement. I believe that reason you mentioned is not enough for them to offload the player.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Does it matter? Its the De Ligt thread, take it to the dictionary thread...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was 19 when he moved to the Serie A, Smalling 29. De Ligt has a lot more competition for a place in the team than Smalling. Smalling is a very experienced player who has been playing with immense pressure in an extremely hard PL for a long time. You really want to compare both players' first season? What did you expect? Jesus Christ.

This forum... One year ago De Ligt was the biggest talent in the world, now he's a slow player that can't head a ball.
I'm comparing the much maligned Smalling to De Ligt. The same Smalling who was referred to as one part of 'The Chuckle brothers' on here. Surely the much heralded De Ligt should be doing better than him? Not sure why you're using his age as some sort of a excuse in absolving him of his short comings at Juve. Juve also signed a young Turkish CB and he has done fantastically well before his injury and benched De Ligt. There's alot to critique in De Ligt's game and there's still a long way for him to go before he's considered in the world class bracket never mind the 'generational talent tag some are quick to label him with.

This forum one year ago didn't have Harry Maguire at the club to fall back on. We now have him and need a CB that compliments him and I don't believe that is De Ligt.

Ibrahima Konate is the CB that would allow us to play a high risk game and has a better all round game to suit Maguire and our league in general.

RUCK4444

I think his point is that your definition almost implies a new ‘generation’ every couple of years or so. It’s a far lesser achievement to be the best in your year than the best in your generation.
See now that I can appreciate, however it’s a commonly used term for the very top level players in football.

That’s enough grammar for the day are we signing this big b@stard then or what?

As I said previous, I would still defo take him.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Multiple writers have broke the De Ligt news. Clearly a Woodward brief, not just Robson.
I’m sure Woody has more pressing things to do at this time. More likely just a bunch of dickhead journalists have all recycled the same Daily Star story.

dutchred

Just can't see this happening, think the press boys have nothing else to write about (I see we're linked with Muenier again this morning). Although I'm still unsure about Lindelof's capabilities, (I prefer a fully fit Baillie anyway) with Tuanzebe (love to see him play in a few games) and Mengi as back up, think we are well stocked in those areas, an attacking right sided player is first on the list in my opinion.
Agree completely

GBBQ

Maybe this is a signal of financial troubles at Juve?
I mean didn't they have to get Fiat to help with the signing of Ronaldo? Regardless of whether there is any truth that united are an option (and our dealings with Raiola might mean we avoid like the plague) I don't think its beyond possibilities that they might be overextended financially and look to sell.

Coops73

He’s clearly talented but we shouldn’t have anything to do with his agent ever again.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He’s clearly talented but we shouldn’t have anything to do with his agent ever again.
I think that’s a small time mentality, that I am hopeful our club doesn’t share.

Imagine Manchester fecking United being bullied and petrified of a bloody football agent.

UnitedFan93

I think that’s a small time mentality, that I am hopeful our club doesn’t share.

Imagine Manchester fecking United being bullied and petrified of a bloody football agent.
We're being bullied by this agent right now ffs. At every opportunity Mino Raiola is looking to slag off the Club.

His entire business model is to move players on every 3 years. How the feck can you build a squad when you've got an agent already plotting the next moves for 'his' players? You simply can not get stability when you're in bed with Mino Raiola.

The agent is a disgrace to the game and we should be doing no more business with him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We're being bullied by this agent right now ffs. At every opportunity Mino Raiola is looking to slag off the Club.

His entire business model is to move players on every 3 years. How the feck can you build a squad when you've got an agent already plotting the next moves for 'his' players? You simply can not get stability when you're in bed with Mino Raiola.

The agent is a disgrace to the game and we should be doing no more business with him.
No matter how many people echo it, agents do not move players on. Agents facilitate moves.

And we’re not getting bullied at all. It’s probably just internet fans who don’t work in the world of football that see it like that. I would hope that our executives just see this as part of the job. Agents trying to do right by their clients, clubs on the other side of the table trying to do right by their organisation.

So what if Raiola ‘slags off’ the club? This is fecking business, not the playground. Who cares if he makes a comment in an interview about how he doesn’t think we that good or whatever?

If Manchester United start operating like emotional fans I’d be very disappointed. Everyone in business seeks to serve their own interests. Simple. If we feel a footballer is in our interests, we pursue him, if not, leave it. Raiola will facilitate a move to wherever his client tells him to. Again, he’s a fecking football agent, no more, no less. An outspoken football agent is still a football agent. We, on the other hand, are a fecking giant football club.

Coops73

How is that small time? The cnut causes nothing but grief, small time would be bowing to his and his clients every whim because we’re desperate to be facilitated by him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How is that small time? The cnut causes nothing but grief, small time would be bowing to his and his clients every whim because we’re desperate to be facilitated by him.
Bowing to every whim is bad business regardless of the agent or player. Not doing business with people we don’t like (allegedly) isn’t good business.

As I’ve said though, I doubt that we even dislike him, because we are bigger than that. He’s good at his job, he’s tough, and I imagine we are too. I’d like to think both parties have respect for each other as sparring partners.

Barristers and prosecutors go at it against each other in a courtroom and then go out for a drink after. Sometimes I think footy fans see everything as a child would. I doubt Raiola ‘hates’ Manchester United or that United hate him, in reality. This is grown up business.

Cliche Guevara

Bowing to every whim is bad business regardless of the agent or player. Not doing business with people we don’t like (allegedly) isn’t good business.

As I’ve said though, I doubt that we even dislike him, because we are bigger than that. He’s good at his job, he’s tough, and I imagine we are too. I’d like to think both parties have respect for each other as sparring partners.

Barristers and prosecutors go at it against each other in a courtroom and then go out for a drink after. Sometimes I think footy fans see everything as a child would. I doubt Raiola ‘hates’ Manchester United or that United hate him, in reality. This is grown up business.
We should also show some dignity:

The guy is openly saying ‘he wouldn’t bring a player to United’

Fine. There are other agents and other players. You talk about having respect, despite competing obligations, but I see nothing but disrespect from this guy. Openly undermining and disrupting the club. Tainting our image publicly. Causing us to miss out on targets due to HIS excessive demands.

I don’t doubt he’s chipping away at players’ ears if they give the slightest hint of discontent. Asking if they want a move. Suggesting they should move. Encouraging them to move.

I’m not saying, necessarily, we shouldn’t deal with him again but I think you’re giving him a very generous character-defence.

RUCK4444

I tend to agree on the agent issue, we are not desperate for the player but if we can we still should do everything we can to get him, he's an unbelievable talent.

Whenever we (and all clubs) approach 'his' players we should simply make an offer directly to the player and say 'you want the move, then deal with us directly, we will pay you whatever that fat c*nt wants for the deal and cut him out of the loop.'

More clubs start doing this the more players will be less inclined to be represented by him.

Would love clubs to make a collective stand against him, it would set a precedent to other agents and somewhat weaken their power and influence on transfers.

It says something about the intelligence of most players that they even require an agent. Anybody with half a brain can negotiate a contract ffs.