Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regalia

I can't believe there are people alive who want us to be or play like that Tottenham team from a couple of years ago. :houllier:
Why not? Tottenham during Poch's peak time there a few years ago are 10x better than anything we've mustered in the past 10 years. I know, judging from your posts, that you have an irrational hatred for Poch but no need to keep spouting your vitriol in every thread. Ten Hag is not the only good manager out there and most definitely not the most proven one. With Rangnick in, we might even start looking beyond Poch/Ten Hag. I'd take Rose or Nagelsmann over both of them but hey, we all have our own preferences.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
:lol: People rate Pochettino highly. He is in one of the top three managers in football that is why people expected him to go to Manchester city and win, which is not an easy feat for any manager.

Now they are expecting him to win the Champions League with only 7 players defending and the amount of ego he has to deal with. This is the type of criticism tops managers get. I feel that his time at psg will only make him stronger as we have seen with tuchel and emery.

I mean look at United expectations we had under Ole. People on here often lower our standards just to satisfy Ole :lol:
I firmly believe you’re a WUM, it is fantastic effort though so I actually quite like it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rangnick will surely have a strong say on the manager in the summer - and if we still pursue Poch as a first choice then the rubber stamp from Rangnick I hope should convince some fans to give Poch a proper chance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What is a role of PSG manager anyway? Can't decide about transfers, he is limited in first 11 selection (because top stars MUST play and their best friends too) and he can't give instructions to top stars because they are bigger than manager. What a mess.

Poch always said that he wants to be a manager who decides about everything and that he loves long term projects. Well, PSG is completely opposite to that.
I think that he will finish this season and leave if we will want him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Please remove the "soon United Manager" from the thread title. If anyone from the club checks this site, they might actually think we want this bum as our manager. Add it to Ten Hag's thread title if you want though.
"Love" all this love to Ten Hag. He is very good manager and between Poch and him i am happy with both. But i am sure that 90% of you who want Ten Hag so badly, don't know shit about him.
I don't pretend that i do. He is rated highly and i don't mind having him here but he is treated now like some kind of miracle worker.
And lets not forget; Ten Hag plays possession football. How many of you hated that style for years and now it is something which you can't wait to see?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"Love" all this love to Ten Hag. He is very good manager and between Poch and him i am happy with both. But i am sure that 90% of you who want Ten Hag so badly, don't know shit about him.
I don't pretend that i do. He is rated highly and i don't mind having him here but he is treated now like some kind of miracle worker.
And lets not forget; Ten Hag plays possession football. How many of you hated that style for years and now it is something which you can't wait to see?
Ajax plays in UEFA champions league not Asian champions league. Almost everyone watch them especially when they play against big teams. So most have fair idea on what ten hag brings to the team and how his team plays.

No one hates possession football, people hate possession for the sake of possession without penetration. There is a big difference, one we played under Van Gaal, other is what Pep plays.

Not sure about miracle worker but it was very good to see Ajax playing good football with very good results against strong teams in CL.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is a role of PSG manager anyway? Can't decide about transfers, he is limited in first 11 selection (because top stars MUST play and their best friends too) and he can't give instructions to top stars because they are bigger than manager. What a mess.

Poch always said that he wants to be a manager who decides about everything and that he loves long term projects. Well, PSG is completely opposite to that.
I think that he will finish this season and leave if we will want him.
The bold one isn't a thing and has never been. It's a normal job at a top club, you are a head coach, you have strong personalities that needs to be managed and you need to coach the team in a way that maximises the team's potential.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
The bold one isn't a thing and has never been. It's a normal job at a top club, you are a head coach, you have strong personalities that needs to be managed and you to coach the team in a way that maximises the teams potential.
You doing that thing again where you swoop in with facts and shatter fictionary arguments and scenarios?

JPRouve

Scout
You doing that thing again where you swoop in with facts and shatter fictionary arguments and scenarios?
People make so much strange excuses for managers that you would forgiven if you believed that their only job is to put names on a teamsheet and yell when things don't work perfectly. No individual or team development, no humanbeings to manage since players are apparently robots and no questioning of your own vision because managers are always right.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don't think Poch will make sense after Rangnick

KingCavani

I can't believe there are people alive who want us to be or play like that Tottenham team from a couple of years ago. :houllier:
They played better football than any United post Moscow.
"Because it'll make people I don't like mad" seems to be the only reason anyone wants anything anymore. :(
It's not that will make them mad. Hopefully it will just make them as embarrassed as they should be calling an excellent manager a "bum". If you think Pochettino's body of work has earned that title then you deserve to learn otherwise.

Cassidy

They played better football than any United post Moscow.
But not better than any PL team in the past couple of years, and that is where we need to aim. Unless Poch evolves tactically, which he seems to be struggling with I would say, I don't think his style of 3/4 years ago is what we need at all.

JPRouve

Scout
But not better than any PL team in the past couple of years, and that is where we need to aim. Unless Poch evolves tactically, which he seems to be struggling with I would say, I don't think his style of 3/4 years ago is what we need at all.
It's also not that relevant since we haven't seen that style in a while, it was seemingly tighly linked to archetypal players and he couldn't even replicate it with a slightly different set of players at Tottenham. In a way you could compare him to Sarri who had a great system for a particular group of 6 players but failed to replicate it at Chelsea or Juventus and didn't manage to adapt to different players and reach similar heights.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The bold one isn't a thing and has never been. It's a normal job at a top club, you are a head coach, you have strong personalities that needs to be managed and you need to coach the team in a way that maximises the team's potential.
No? He subbed Messi and owner sends a message "don't do that again"

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Great. Another joyless losah. Just what we need.

I can't believe people rate him higher than Zidane or Ten Hag.

gajender

I wasn't keen on Pochettino's appointment even before but now with all this of talk of him wanting more traditional role of manager which we should and hopefully are clearly moving away from and him favouring long term project which is kind of cop out used by managers who simply don't want to take the pressure of expectations and considering our resources and Size and current state of the team we should be competitive from the get go if Pochettino thinks otherwise he should not be in conversation for our next manager.

KingCavani

Than any PL team?

People get way too caught up on this idea that there's only one way to play football and it's a ridiculous criticism anyways because Pochettino does play progressive football. Klopp didn't succeed where Poch filed because of his superior coaching. Poch was outperforming him by any objective measure and outscoring his sides until 2018 when Spurs spent £25m of Lucas and Liverpool spent £236m of VVD, Allison, Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri.

If you think it would have played out the same if you reversed those situations then more power to you, but I strongly doubt it.

KingCavani

It's also not that relevant since we haven't seen that style in a while, it was seemingly tighly linked to archetypal players and he couldn't even replicate it with a slightly different set of players at Tottenham. In a way you could compare him to Sarri who had a great system for a particular group of 6 players but failed to replicate it at Chelsea or Juventus and didn't manage to adapt to different players and reach similar heights.
:lol:

He's been playing that way since Espanyol. His first game after two days of training - against Pep's historic Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey - he told them to press high and they went and got a draw despite being rock bottom in La Liga. In the return leg they did the same and lost 3-2 at the Nou Camp. A month later in the league he beat them at the Nou Camp 1-2.

He's been playing high pressing progressive football, literally since day one.

Cassidy

Than any PL team?

People get way too caught up on this idea that there's only one way to play football and it's a ridiculous criticism anyways because Pochettino does play progressive football. Klopp didn't succeed where Poch filed because of his superior coaching. Poch was outperforming him by any objective measure and outscoring his sides until 2018 when Spurs spent £25m of Lucas and Liverpool spent £236m of VVD, Allison, Keita, Fabinho and Shaqiri.

If you think it would have played out the same if you reversed those situations then more power to you, but I strongly doubt it.
Where have I said anything about there being only one way to play?
Think you're missing the point really. Since 17/18 I have not seen Poch be able to replicate his "progressive" style of football anywhere. Not even with an attacking trio of Neymar Messi and Mbappe, backed up by the likes of DiMaria.

Sure PSG has its issues, but when Tuchel was there you could see his style and identity all over the way they played. Yet to see this from Poch there, and since Dembele left Spurs and Ericksen's form dipped.

So we are saying we should hire Poch on the hope that he can replicate what he did back in 2018, when there are managers available who have shown they have been able to evolve their style and carry it forward since then?

Thats not even speaking about other issues with Poch. Anyway he is a good manager, but there are obvious questions marks around him and it should not be a clear cut case that he should be the manager over and above other managers out there.

JPB

Why not? Tottenham during Poch's peak time there a few years ago are 10x better than anything we've mustered in the past 10 years. I know, judging from your posts, that you have an irrational hatred for Poch but no need to keep spouting your vitriol in every thread. Ten Hag is not the only good manager out there and most definitely not the most proven one. With Rangnick in, we might even start looking beyond Poch/Ten Hag. I'd take Rose or Nagelsmann over both of them but hey, we all have our own preferences.
Pochettino finished 3rd behind Leicester and Arsenal. That's his greatest achievement if I'm not mistaken. Ole himself finished 2nd just last season. So did Jose. What are you even saying? :houllier: Pochettino is just absolute mediocrity.

If we end up getting Pochettino or some other fraud and City get Ten Hag and then keep on winning everything for the next 10 years people like you are to blame for it.
You should be held accountable for it if this happens. You should probably go to prison then.

JPRouve

Scout
:lol:

He's been playing that way since Espanyol. His first game after two days of training - against Pep's historic Barcelona in the Copa Del Rey - he told them to press high and they went and got a draw despite being rock bottom in La Liga. In the return leg they did the same and lost 3-2 at the Nou Camp. A month later in the league he beat them at the Nou Camp 1-2.

He's been playing high pressing progressive football, literally since day one.
Which has little to do with him requiring archetypal players? And is even less relevant since you are now using something that happened more than 12 years ago and isn't unique to Pochettino. That same season the same applied to Mallorca or Osasuna. Pochettino is a good coach but some of you try to turn everything he does into some sort of miracle.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Louis van gaal, solskjaer and mourinho each either achieved more, or played better football, than Pochetinos Tottenham squad.

JPB

First of all, you don't know me. I liked Van Gaal. He had the right idea, it just didn't work out. Secondly ten Hag is different. It's possession football yes but not just possession for the sake of it. He plays very attacking football his Ajax have scored 504 goals in 185 games. They are top of their league and top of their Champions League group at the moment also. Their striker is top scorer in the league and in the Champions League too. A blind man can see this guy is special. Just watch a couple of their games and you should notice yourself.

But please stop presuming that you know what other people like or what they don't like.

KingCavani

Where have I said anything about there being only one way to play?
Think you're missing the point really. Since 17/18 I have not seen Poch be able to replicate his "progressive" style of football anywhere. Not even with an attacking trio of Neymar Messi and Mbappe, backed up by the likes of DiMaria.

Sure PSG has its issues, but when Tuchel was there you could see his style and identity all over the way they played. Yet to see this from Poch there, and since Dembele left Spurs and Ericksen's form dipped.

So we are saying we should hire Poch on the hope that he can replicate what he did back in 2018, when there are managers available who have shown they have been able to evolve their style and carry it forward since then?

Thats not even speaking about other issues with Poch. Anyway he is a good manager, but there are obvious questions marks around him and it should not be a clear cut case that he should be the manager over and above other managers out there.
I mean if you're looking for him to replicate that 2018 style with that attacking trio then you either no nothing about how Spurs played or how that attacking trio play. You say since 17/18 like he wasn't playing that way for nearly 10 years across multiple clubs.

They had literally the exact same issues under Tuchel but they hadn't quite been exacerbated with accommodating Messi on top of everything else. Here is an article by Jonathan Wilson after they played at Anfield - It's exactly the same critcisms being levelled at Poch:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/19/psg-liverpool-thomas-tuchel-football

"Leaving three forwards high up the pitch to float about and occasionally pull off a trick may be enough in Ligue 1 – given PSG have begun the season with five successive wins and have scored at least three goals in every game, it demonstrably is – but it is no way to play against proper opposition."

"Is Thomas Tuchel happy with this? This, after all, is a man who grew up in the hard-pressing world of the Bundesliga. He was regarded as the new Jürgen Klopp, a manager forged at a similar school. He is somebody who dined with Pep Guardiola after his Dortmund side had lost 5-1 against Bayern, whose love of the theory of juego de posición outweighed the sting of defeat. There can be no version of that conception of the game that features three men standing 50 yards upfield from their midfield, barely raising a jog as a defender surges past them again. PSG football is not Tuchel football; it may not even be football."

Identical to what is being levelled at PSG after Wednesday night. And that front three included Edinson Cavani who can and will run - this is before they added the single laziest player in world football into the mix. Poch isn't getting PSG to replicate that style because no manager alive could while being forced to placate those egos. They just wont do it and no one will tell them to because they know they're more valuable than any manager. Holding this against Pochettino is asinine - Do you not see why he wants to leave that club despite those brilliant players? Do you seriously not realise it's because of them?

JPRouve

Scout
PSG gave an official statement to AFP regarding the rumours around Pochettino and Zidane. PSG don't want Pochettino to leave, he hasn't asked to leave and they haven't contacted anyone including Zidane.

KingCavani

Which has little to do with him requiring archetypal players? And is even less relevant since you are now using something that happened more than 12 years ago and isn't unique to Pochettino. That same season the same applied to Mallorca or Osasuna. Pochettino is a good coach but some of you try to turn everything he does into some sort of miracle.
I'm not turning anything into a miracle. I'm ridiculing a ridiculous point.

He couldn't replicate it in his final season because the squad burned out and were openly opposing the intensity with which he was training them - More a result of relying on a tight knit group for so long due to limited investment. As time as shown though there were much deeper issues with those players than just getting them to press. That squad has looked dead since the CL final.

He couldn't replicate it at PSG because Messi and Mbappe wouldn't play that way if you held them at gunpoint. None of Pep, Tuchel or Klopp would be getting that team to play their brand of football. It's not possible.

JPRouve

Scout
I mean if you're looking for him to replicate that 2018 style with that attacking trio then you either no nothing about how Spurs played or how that attacking trio play. You say since 17/18 like he wasn't playing that way for nearly 10 years across multiple clubs.

They had literally the exact same issues under Tuchel but they hadn't quite been exacerbated with accommodating Messi on top of everything else. Here is an article by Jonathan Wilson after they played at Anfield - It's exactly the same critcisms being levelled at Poch:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/sep/19/psg-liverpool-thomas-tuchel-football

"Leaving three forwards high up the pitch to float about and occasionally pull off a trick may be enough in Ligue 1 – given PSG have begun the season with five successive wins and have scored at least three goals in every game, it demonstrably is – but it is no way to play against proper opposition."

"Is Thomas Tuchel happy with this? This, after all, is a man who grew up in the hard-pressing world of the Bundesliga. He was regarded as the new Jürgen Klopp, a manager forged at a similar school. He is somebody who dined with Pep Guardiola after his Dortmund side had lost 5-1 against Bayern, whose love of the theory of juego de posición outweighed the sting of defeat. There can be no version of that conception of the game that features three men standing 50 yards upfield from their midfield, barely raising a jog as a defender surges past them again. PSG football is not Tuchel football; it may not even be football."

Identical to what is being levelled at PSG after Wednesday night. And that front three included Edinson Cavani who can and will run - this is before they added the single laziest player in world football into the mix. Poch isn't getting PSG to replicate that style because no manager alive could while being forced to placate those egos. They just wont do it and no one will tell them to because they know they're more valuable than any manager. Holding this against Pochettino is asinine - Do you not see why he wants to leave that club despite those brilliant players? Do you seriously not realise it's because of them?
Tuchel joined PSG during summer 2018 and he didn't start the season with a set front three, he didn't even consistently played with an actual front three. And PSG almost immediately adopted his style.

Matt851

think of Pochettino as a modern day Bielsa.

Hardcore, high pressing
Neat small passes in many triangles
But problem with bielsa’s disciples is that they hardly win trophies.
Bielsa's disciples hardly win trophies ? Have you ever heard of this pep guardiola fellow?

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not turning anything into a miracle. I'm ridiculing a ridiculous point.

He couldn't replicate it in his final season because the squad burned out and were openly opposing the intensity with which he was training them - More a result of relying on a tight knit group for so long due to limited investment. As time as shown though there were much deeper issues with those players than just getting them to press. That squad has looked dead since the CL final.

He couldn't replicate it at PSG because Messi and Mbappe wouldn't play that way if you held them at gunpoint. None of Pep, Tuchel or Klopp would be getting that team to play their brand of football. It's not possible.
So Pochettino doesn't need archetypal players to have an efficient system, he can work with any sort of players and adapt? Also Tuchel and Klopp in particular have adapted to very different type of players during their careers and have not used the say systems for everyone. We are not going to pretend that Dortmund and Liverpool play similarly and have the same type of players.

Matt851

Pochettino finished 3rd behind Leicester and Arsenal. That's his greatest achievement if I'm not mistaken. Ole himself finished 2nd just last season. So did Jose. What are you even saying? :houllier: Pochettino is just absolute mediocrity.

If we end up getting Pochettino or some other fraud and City get Ten Hag and then keep on winning everything for the next 10 years people like you are to blame for it.
You should be held accountable for it if this happens. You should probably go to prison then.
This post makes me ponder, what proportion of people on here are clinically braindead? Must be a good chunk

The fact is there are risks with both poch and ten hag, despite so many seeming to have convinced themselves otherwise. Ten Hag seems like a very promising coach but he is in the dutch league and has only ever coached young or relatively low profile players, so there is a big leap to managing united which he might well be able to manage. I do wonder how many of those pushing for ten hag even know anything about him

Comparing poch's achievements at spurs to oles at uniteds without context (e.g. the budget and quality of players) just shows how desperate some are to downplay his abilities. You might as well compare oles achievements to those of the accrington stanley manager

KingCavani

Tuchel joined PSG during summer 2018 and he didn't start the season with a set front three, he didn't even consistently played with an actual front three. And PSG almost immediately adopted his style.
This is literally not what happened at all. He gave them organisation and made them a compact unit but they were as much relying on individual brilliance going forward as we were - just with much better players. Tuchel admitted that it was a struggle with the group he had and he fell out with Mbappe for a reason.

He was criticised throughout his entire tenure for not imposing an identity with the team, for not getting them to play like his Dortmund or Klopp's Liverpool. I feel like I'm in the upside down reading this.

PSG fan Julian Laurens:

Tuchel's biggest problem is that he never really managed to give his PSG team a genuine identity. The style of play this season was poor; PSG were never convincing, and there were no patterns or themes to their style of play.

KingCavani

So Pochettino doesn't need archetypal players to have an efficient system, he can work with any sort of players and adapt? Also Tuchel and Klopp in particular have adapted to very different type of players during their careers and have not used the say systems for everyone. We are not going to pretend that Dortmund and Liverpool play similarly and have the same type of players.
Klopp and Pep have absolutely favoured technically proficient hard working players throughout their career. They all play a high pressing game and have never once worked with so many passengers who barely work with the ball let alone without it. The Messi Pep had is nothing like the Messi Poch is coaching. Zlatan is probably the closest thing and Pep got nothing from him at all.

JPRouve

Scout
This is literally not what happened at all. He gave them organisation and made them a compact unit but they were as much relying on individual brilliance going forward as we were - just with much better players. Tuchel admitted that it was a struggle with the group he had and he fell out with Mbappe for a reason.

He was criticised throughout his entire tenure for not imposing an identity with the team, for not getting them to play like his Dortmund or Klopp's Liverpool. I feel like I'm in the upside down reading this.

PSG fan Julian Laurens:

Tuchel's biggest problem is that he never really managed to give his PSG team a genuine identity. The style of play this season was poor; PSG were never convincing, and there were no patterns or themes to their style of play.
First Laurens is a hack, secondly you have no idea about what you are talking about, you used an article from September 2018, two months into Tuchel tenure at PSG and something like 5 league games where he didn't regularly use the players you are referring to in a front three. Mbappé and Tuchel had a very good relationship until the Demba Ba incident, that's the reason.

JPRouve

Scout
Klopp and Pep have absolutely favoured technically proficient hard working players throughout their career. They all play a high pressing game and have never once worked with so many passengers who barely work with the ball let alone without it. The Messi Pep had is nothing like the Messi Poch is coaching. Zlatan is probably the closest thing and Pep got nothing from him at all.
Just answer this question, are Liverpool and Dortmund playing the same way under Klopp?

Status
Not open for further replies.