Mauricio Amadaeus Pochettino | Chelsea sack watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I feel your best for the future is creating a strong set up like City did over here, Qataris might be even richer than Emirates but the way you 2 have spent your money is night and day.
Paris is a hub of football and fashion you already are trying to make a fashionable brand , making a footballing brand won't hurt either.
In the longb run guys like Leonardo with thei star signings will do you more harm than good so actually implementing a proper footballing system would be the first and best step to achieving success in my opinion.
But if you want to go for the expedient option, Zidane is probably the best as even though conte is a great manager he just seems to malfunction when he gets to Europe and it's not a freak accident anymore, its happened every single time. Just look at inter, probably worse off than their previous season but still did much better in Europe ( actually could have beaten off liverpool).
I completely agree with you, it's what the fans have been screaming about for a while now. To stop this commercialization of the club and to bring it back to a sporting project. What people misunderstood when Neymar, Messi, Ramos were getting booed, at least from talking to a few other PSG fans, it wasn't about booing those players, it was a message to send to the higher-ups that the fans want a team, they don't want just big names all over the place like a 12 year old playing FM with a save editor.

Regarding Conte, how do you explain such a disparity between his ability to be brilliant tactician in different leagues, but somehow always coming up way short in the CL? Unfortunately with Zidane most likely never coming to PSG since France is less than a year away unless something crazy happens and Deschamps stays beyond that, which I really doubt, it's hard to see then who would take over. I wish PSG had gone with a long-term contract and giving authority to a proper manager to build a project a la City, but it's been always about taking shortcuts and rushing to a CL title without checking if your laces are tied.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I completely agree with you, it's what the fans have been screaming about for a while now. To stop this commercialization of the club and to bring it back to a sporting project. What people misunderstood when Neymar, Messi, Ramos were getting booed, at least from talking to a few other PSG fans, it wasn't about booing those players, it was a message to send to the higher-ups that the fans want a team, they don't want just big names all over the place like a 12 year old playing FM with a save editor.

Regarding Conte, how do you explain such a disparity between his ability to be brilliant tactician in different leagues, but somehow always coming up way short in the CL? Unfortunately with Zidane most likely never coming to PSG since France is less than a year away unless something crazy happens and Deschamps stays beyond that, which I really doubt, it's hard to see then who would take over. I wish PSG had gone with a long-term contract and giving authority to a proper manager to build a project a la City, but it's been always about taking shortcuts and rushing to a CL title without checking if your laces are tied.
You lot have a ton of potential, can basically gobble up all the talent france produces of which there are many and with your financial muscle , easily bring in the talent needed to fix those areas you need.
With how obsessed Qataries are to achieve European glory i think you will eventually get there, after you've exhausted all the short term fixes.
In regards to conte I actually rate him a lot , I feel he's a top 5 coach in the world who's done great wherever he's went and his teams were mostly better off after , building the foundations of juves success, getting inter's first title after 11 years and then being favorites to win it again this year, getting Chelsea's last league title and doing admirably in Italy but his failure in Europe has been constant during all of it , he failed to even pass the group stages with either of his Italian teams ( juve would go on to have a very good spell in Europe after he left) , did similarly disappointing with Chelsea and got knocked out off the conference league even with spurs ( his only European achievement being so far a el final).
Cl is a knockout tournament and the reality is those are very dependent on luck no matter how goodbyou are that's why I think league Performance is a much better barometer to gauge a managers success but there are definitely attributes mitigating it's unpredictably and others worsening it ( Fergie for example i always thought was too naive or maybe idealist in the way he set us up for Europe despite his great record , same with pep and his wired tinkering)
In regards to conte I feel his set up is particularly outdated in Europe and his teams usually fail to impact the midfield which i don't think would be much better in psg considering your unbalanced midfield, his insistence on playing 352 doesn't help much either as i find his teams to be too rigid at times and lacking creativity, i also remember him taking too long to make substitutions mid game though he might have changed on that front.
In the end ucl is the big players occasion and the only one capable of doing that in your team is mbappe ( Messi seems to not give a damn) so unless you keep him and build a balanced midfield for next season I won't rate your chances that much.
Conte is a great manager to build a side guard for success, not so much for cracking it in Europe.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Not even nominated for manager of the year which says it all. Most of the league games I watched he was outcouched by the opposition manager but had superior individuals who managed to deliver moments of brilliance.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Not even nominated for manager of the year which says it all. Most of the league games I watched he was outcouched by the opposition manager but had superior individuals who managed to deliver moments of brilliance.
I wonder how Amadaeus will spin this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah but I think the idea of a coach not being good in the CL is weird as if it's a given he can't do well in the CL. It's not as if he suddenly forgets how to coach in the CL, so I don't know how much stock I put on his record in Europe being an actual factor in regards to PSG's chances. Obviously I would prefer Zidane, but I don't think his 3 CLs in a row are any more of an indication of potential success than Conte's failures an indication of the opposite. Unfortunately I can't see how Zidane would come in.

What I do know is that this team could use a task-master like him, someone who won't hesitate to bench a big name if they're not doing what he asks, assuming NAK learns from his mistake and doesn't screw up Conte's authority by letting players go over their manager's head if they have an issue.

The only thing that bothers me, and it what's bothered me about Pochettino as well, is this ease of just saying, while employed at another club, that you'd rather work somewhere else. If I'm a Spurs player, I'm going to struggle taking Conte very seriously if he's already thinking of another team to manage.
It's not that he forgets how to coach in the CL, it's that the CL is a very specific set of opponents in a very specific context. For example a league trophy is a result of consistency and if you beat all the weaker teams you may even be able to afford losing to the strong(er) ones. In the CL, being an elite knockout competition, it's all about how well can you motivate, manage nerves and win the tactical battle in a few key games or even moments.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

That’s actually funny :lol:

CM

I've heard this said about Poch numerous times at PSG. Crazy how long he was linked with Man Utd for when this criticism was used as a stick to beat Solskjaer with so many times last season.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
If even the league’s officials troll you..poor Poch

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You lot have a ton of potential, can basically gobble up all the talent france produces of which there are many and with your financial muscle , easily bring in the talent needed to fix those areas you need.
With how obsessed Qataries are to achieve European glory i think you will eventually get there, after you've exhausted all the short term fixes.
In regards to conte I actually rate him a lot , I feel he's a top 5 coach in the world who's done great wherever he's went and his teams were mostly better off after , building the foundations of juves success, getting inter's first title after 11 years and then being favorites to win it again this year, getting Chelsea's last league title and doing admirably in Italy but his failure in Europe has been constant during all of it , he failed to even pass the group stages with either of his Italian teams ( juve would go on to have a very good spell in Europe after he left) , did similarly disappointing with Chelsea and got knocked out off the conference league even with spurs ( his only European achievement being so far a el final).
Cl is a knockout tournament and the reality is those are very dependent on luck no matter how goodbyou are that's why I think league Performance is a much better barometer to gauge a managers success but there are definitely attributes mitigating it's unpredictably and others worsening it ( Fergie for example i always thought was too naive or maybe idealist in the way he set us up for Europe despite his great record , same with pep and his wired tinkering)
In regards to conte I feel his set up is particularly outdated in Europe and his teams usually fail to impact the midfield which i don't think would be much better in psg considering your unbalanced midfield, his insistence on playing 352 doesn't help much either as i find his teams to be too rigid at times and lacking creativity, i also remember him taking too long to make substitutions mid game though he might have changed on that front.
In the end ucl is the big players occasion and the only one capable of doing that in your team is mbappe ( Messi seems to not give a damn) so unless you keep him and build a balanced midfield for next season I won't rate your chances that much.
Conte is a great manager to build a side guard for success, not so much for cracking it in Europe.
On the flip side the league is piss easy if you have the best squad. You can get unlucky once or twice but over the 38 games it's easier to perform if you're actually good.

Saf had a good headstart by being with one club for years he already set everything to his tune. Kinda like playing fm fresh vs year 5.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Zidane makes too much sense surely. Available, homegrown, and handled all the egos at Madrid expertly to win an unprecedent 3 CL's in a row. What more could PSG want?

jackal&hyde

After his inevitable sacking to make room for Zidane, where could he go? Would Everton take him in case of relegation?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If even the league’s officials troll you..poor Poch
There's no trolling. The 5 guys nominated have done a much better job than he has, everyone that has watched L1 this year can notice PSG are a generally speaking poorly coached team that has been bailed out by individual brilliance (and Mbappé in God mode) - if anything, Poch has held them back.

fergosaurus

Not even a top 5 performing manager in a farmer's league. :D

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Both are doing well with their managers. Seria A could be an option yeah, but where?
Think Conte will leave at the end of this season.
And I'd be surprised if Howe is the Newcastle manager at the end of next season. Think they'll buy big, and Howe won't be able to get the desired results.

Juventus is a possibility for him right now

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And I'd be surprised if Howe is the Newcastle manager at the end of next season. Think they'll buy big, and Howe won't be able to get the desired results.

Why do you think Juventus would be interested? I don't think he has any relation to the club and based on his recent performances I don't see why they should consider him?

jackal&hyde

Yeah Newcastle is a good shout at some point but they should at least start the season with Howe as he's doing well.

Also Neville might take the opportunity to bring him at Salford City seeing how much of a fan he is.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why do you think Juventus would be interested? I don't think he has any relation to the club and based on his recent performances I don't see why they should consider him?
Juventus are going to sack Allegri most likely, and as much as he is criticized, he is still a good manager. I think fighting against Amadaeus has made us all forget that Poch is still a tier -II manager (not Tier GOAT as he want us to believe). And I dont think there'll be a bigger/more reputable manager who'd Juve would be able to hire this summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Juventus are going to sack Allegri most likely, and as much as he is criticized, he is still a good manager. I think fighting against Amadaeus has made us all forget that Poch is still a tier -II manager (not Tier GOAT as he want us to believe). And I dont think there'll be a bigger/more reputable manager who'd Juve would be able to hire this summer.
Who else is in Tier 2?

Red the Bear

Something less generic

That's gotta hurt.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
There's no trolling. The 5 guys nominated have done a much better job than he has, everyone that has watched L1 this year can notice PSG are a generally speaking poorly coached team that has been bailed out by individual brilliance (and Mbappé in God mode) - if anything, Poch has held them back.
Usually the top dogs get a mention gifted no matter their real life performance.

crossy1686

career ending
I maintain that Pochettino is never even in the conversation to manage a big team if he doesn't have Kane land on his lap at Tottenham. They did well to find Son and Alli at the time to compliment that also but Kane has carried them for years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Usually the top dogs get a mention gifted no matter their real life performance.
Since it's not the league but the players(UNFP) and coaches(UNECATEF) unions. They don't really have an incentive to go with "top" dogs especially when the top dog clearly doesn't deserve it. The actual surprise here is that Phillipe Clément isn't nominated.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I maintain that Pochettino is never even in the conversation to manage a big team if he doesn't have Kane land on his lap at Tottenham. They did well to find Son and Alli at the time to compliment that also but Kane has carried them for years.
Did a good job at Southampton as well. PSG was a wrong career move but I think he'll still prove to be a great manager

AshRK

But it's just like saying Pep wouldn't have been a big name manager if not for Messi. Poch did a solid job at spurs and had a big impact for Kane's growth. Can't just take away his good work. The thing with Poch is he shouldn't have taken Psg job. I feel he has to take a step back now like emery did and manage a upper to mid table spanish club. I don't even think a return to Spurs would be a smart move for him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I would still give him half a season to work if the football didn't improve in a noticeable way, get him the sack.

Lewnited

Did a good job at Southampton as well. PSG was a wrong career move but I think he'll still prove to be a great manager
Seems a bit strong though wouldn't you agree? Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti are great managers. Conte and Tuchel are very good managers.

Maybe it boils down to semantics to be fair, but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that Poch will get to either of these brackets.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Seems a bit strong though wouldn't you agree? Pep, Klopp and Ancelotti are great managers. Conte and Tuchel are very good managers.

Maybe it boils down to semantics to be fair, but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that Poch will get to either of these brackets.
You are correct. Poch getting overrated yet again before he’s even achieved hard as much as those mentioned who are great managers

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Conte deserves to be on the higher bracket, aside from his failure in Europe, his resume has been superb.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Conte deserves to be on the higher bracket, aside from his failure in Europe, his resume has been superb.
But great managers have success in all competitions, so his failures are a valid reason to not consider him to be great but just very good.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But great managers have success in all competitions, so his failures are a valid reason to not consider him to be great but just very good.
Any manager who has won so many league titles is a great manager and it's not like he took favourites like Bayern to win the league.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You could say the reverse about carlo whom I consider to be a great manager.
Cobte's resume speaks for itself.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Since it's not the league but the players(UNFP) and coaches(UNECATEF) unions. They don't really have an incentive to go with "top" dogs especially when the top dog clearly doesn't deserve it. The actual surprise here is that Phillipe Clément isn't nominated.
Thanks for the explanation, didn‘t know it were „experts“ voting…even more damning ;)

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
You could say the reverse about carlo whom I consider to be a great manager.
Cobte's resume speaks for itself.
How so? He has won multiple CL and is the first manager to win the league in all five big leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.