• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
TEAM PROLIFIK

Liability #1: Steven Gerrard
Gerrard's main weakness is that he doesn't have great tactical discipline, which can be an issue if he's being used as an orthodox CM in a two. We're deploying him in the nominal RM role he occupied for much of the 2005-06 season, where he can create with his crossing and long passing but also has the freedom to drift infield and provide both creative support for Gazza and an additional goal threat. With both Lahm and Bergomi covering his flank, any lapses in positioning should be mitigated.

Liability #2: Ronald Koeman
Koeman's weakness is his lack of pace which can be more exploitable as a libero/centre-back. We've instead moved him into midfield where he can use his vision and distribution run the show from deep. Lahm's energy and tactical intelligence will complement him nicely in this role.

Liability #3: Fernando Hierro
Hierro functions as an old-fashioned CB alongside Van Dijk. He's not the quickest but that's where the pace of Van Dijk is helpful, as are the covering instincts of Bergomi.

Maverick: Paul Gascoigne
Gazza is still the main creative force, but in this setup he has more support than in the previous round. As mentioned earlier, Gerrard adds some attacking drive from his hybrid RM/CM role. Pires returns on the left, where he again dovetails with Cole as he did so effectively for Arsenal. Villa's clever movement in behind and lethal finishing provide the cutting edge, but he can also drop back to combine with our other attacking players.

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 5-3-2
Style: counter attacking Piksi's Red star pinnacle with Carboni and Alves bombing the flanks.

Defence:
Two attacking full backs in Cabrini and Dani Alves who are capable of manning their flanks and stretching the field. In the heart of defence we have Jaap Stam who will be tasked with handling Shearer on the opposition side. A fantastic man marker who is also fast on the deck and great in the air will give no breathing space for the fast forward that opposition has. Alongside him is Real's legend Santamaria, who will act as a CB next to him. McGrath will be in sort of a libero role occupying the space between the midfield and defence and also providing backup and cover for Santamaria.

Midfield:
We have Yaya Toure in his Barca days coming on to replace the nuisance which Pogba usually causes in the heart of midfield. He will play alongside Tigana in his natural box to box role and as an AM and main playmaker we have naturally our maverick in Piksi.

Attack
Riva
is playing as a second striker whilst Inzaghi is leading the line. We have plenty of good crossers on each flank so his presence in the box would be a danger for the opposition defensive line. Inzaghi, although a liability can still finish chances in the box and given the distribution we have both from the flanks and from the middle he should be able to complete a chance or two.

Liability 1:
Jose Santamaria -
he played in very open defensive system with little to no cover, yet he still made his name as one of the prolific figures of that great Real side. Here he has one of the best RB's next to him who will provide cover on the flanks and also McGrath and Stam, who I think are comfortably the best CB duo in the draft.

Liability 2:
Yaya Toure
- as in the words of @Pat_Mustard he loved his role:
"I prefer playing as a holding midfielder because it is my natural position, but I play for the team, and wherever the boss asks me to play is where I play. I enjoy playing in front of the defence because it’s where I feel most comfortable and play my best football, but I am happy to change if asked."
and generally he was a formidable option for Barca in one of their most successful teams, acting like a anchor between defence and midfield.
At the time he didn't look lazy like his City days, and whilst his City days are more stat padded this version of him won 2 La Liga's and 1 CL whilst him occupying a key role in it.

Liability 3:
Pippo Inzaghi: the born in offside as they say was certainly someone who could score goals. Might not be pretty but if he gets the service he guarantees goals:

Worth mentioning that he played in highly competitive Serie A era and still managed to knock a few.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nice team, pro. Surprising not to see Shearer start. I think we have more goals in our side that can decide a tight game. In the middle I think we also have a bit of a more bite with Tigana whose aggressiveness might be important for the outcome of the game.

prolifik

Thanks for setting it up @Gio !

All the best @prolifik!
Same to you bro

Nice team, pro. Surprising not to see Shearer start. I think we have more goals in our side that can decide a tight game. In the middle I think we also have a bit of a more bite with Tigana whose aggressiveness might be important for the outcome of the game.
Was a tough decision and I'm biased towards Villa but I like his versatility in this one. Don't think we would get much mileage out of leaning on an orthodox target man against that defence. We're better off trying to draw them out with movement and get Gerrard and Pires making unpredictable runs from deep. It's worth remembering that both wide players are regular goalscorers from midfield and both Hierro and Koeman are among the most prolific (heh) defenders of all time, so I'd argue we have a comparable goal threat despite playing a lone striker.

I think we can curtail the attacking runs of Alves and Cabrini, not only through elite defensive full-back play from Bergomi and Cole, but also the attacking combinations on either flank (Bergomi/Lahm/Gerrard and Cole/Pires).

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
love the use of Gerrard, not the biggest fan of Gazza and Pires usage

Enigma_87

You know who
Same to you bro

Was a tough decision and I'm biased towards Villa but I like his versatility in this one. Don't think we would get much mileage out of leaning on an orthodox target man against that defence. We're better off trying to draw them out with movement and get Gerrard and Pires making unpredictable runs from deep. It's worth remembering that both wide players are regular goalscorers from midfield and both Hierro and Koeman are among the most prolific (heh) defenders of all time, so I'd argue we have a comparable goal threat despite playing a lone striker.

I think we can curtail the attacking runs of Alves and Cabrini, not only through elite defensive full-back play from Bergomi and Cole, but also the attacking combinations on either flank (Bergomi/Lahm/Gerrard and Cole/Pires).
Tbh in terms of goal scoring threat Hierro racked up his numbers when he played in his early days and box to box role and here he is in his latter CB role when he was significantly slower and his forays were a lot less frequent.
In terms of Koeman I really don’t rate him in a midfield role as he is not only slow but physically weak and with Riva dropping I he can create a real nuisance in that zone.

As for Villa his game is based on interplay and quick transition or at least something I can see him excelling at. He would play with his back to the goal more often here and I doubt he will get much luck with crosses considering our defensive core.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Well done @Enigma_87, nicely drafted, hard to get much stronger within the pool.

Really liked the use of Gerrard here @prolifik - something about him and Gazza together - their combined match-winning gusto - really gets the juices flowing.

Enigma_87

You know who
Well done mate, great team as always and considering the adjustments made you did a mighty fine job till the finals.

Well done @Enigma_87, nicely drafted, hard to get much stronger within the pool.

Really liked the use of Gerrard here @prolifik - something about him and Gazza together - their combined match-winning gusto - really gets the juices flowing.
Thanks, Gio. Refreshing draft an hopefully we have more in this theme in the future.

prolifik

Congrats @Enigma_87 . Took a minute for me to actually identify your liabilities as they all slotted in so seamlessly, and none of them looked out of their depth. Great job.

And well played @prolifik . That's a fine performance in a draft debut! Have you played these things elsewhere?
Way too often :lol: @Šjor Bepo and @Enigma_87 got me on here, also played with a few others like Michael and Joga.

Enigma_87

You know who
Congrats @Enigma_87 . Took a minute for me to actually identify your liabilities as they all slotted in so seamlessly, and none of them looked out of their depth. Great job.

And well played @prolifik . That's a fine performance in a draft debut! Have you played these things elsewhere?
thanks mate. I think we had a similar idea for the midfield in the final :)

BIG DUNK

Tank
Glad to see my liability Inzaghi win the final - congratulations Enigma (Riva-Stojkovic were two great choices to be his supporting forward-roving playmaker partners in attack). While prolifik's attack looks more dynamic, Enigma's defence and midfield is very strong and physically ready for the challenge.

Well done to prolifik for an impressive draft debut too. Two teams with no glaring weakness to expose their 'liabilities'.

Enigma_87

You know who
Glad to see my liability Inzaghi win the final - congratulations Enigma (Riva-Stojkovic were two great choices to be his supporting forward-roving playmaker partners in attack). While prolifik's attack looks more dynamic, Enigma's defence and midfield is very strong and physically ready for the challenge.

Well done to prolifik for an impressive draft debut too. Two teams with no glaring weakness to expose their 'liabilities'.
Cheers, mate. Tbh I wasn’t over the moon with Inzaghi as striker as liability is usually tougher sell but two striker system paid off. Also Inzaghi having a good scoring record when there is creative unit behind him helped too.