g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mavericks and Liabilities Draft - QF - P-Nut vs Skizzo

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
P-NUT:

SKIZZO:

P-NUT TACTICS:

Liability #1 - Stiles is surrounded by both midfielders and defenders comfortable on the ball. His only job here is to break up play and give it to better players than him, a role he'd likely relish.

Liability #2 - Yaya Toure - Taking up his most devastating role from his Man City days. Toure has got a solid foundation behind him which allows him to venture further forward both on and off the ball. His ball carrying through the centre of the park was one of the most scary aspects of his game, as he seemed to ghost past entire midfield single handedly.

Maverick - Cubillas - Pushed slightly further forward this time around and playing more as a SS with license to drift across the park. Still has a solid foundation behind him, which means he is free to express himself in the final third more often.

Changes from last game

The obvious one is a major formation change from 433 to 532, obviously done to accommodate Toure I feel like it's worked out well. Marcelo comes in for Evra. A LB that basically played as a LW most games he's ideally suited to a 532.

Raul has come in for Rush to add a more rounded game as a spearhead to the attack. Raul was never the absolute star at Real Madrid working alongside some all time greats for most of his career, and yet he was the constant and record goalscorer until CR7 took over. Here he'll have no issue interlinking with Cubillas and allowing him to shine brightly.

SKIZZO TACTICS:

With the addition of Stevie G, I had to shuffle things around to try and balance the team with the tactical limitations. While I’d have loved to have thrown Stevie into the previous setup, his drawbacks of tactical discipline would have pulled the shape apart a little too much, so here we are.

Liability - Frank de Boer
De Boer slots into a more traditional left back role here, where he would look to link up with a speedy left winger in Overmars, and covered by the tactically astute Seedorf, and the disciplined and pacy Vasovic. Less exposed defensively, he’ll be able to play a more balanced game and look to support the attack.

Liability - Steven Gerrard
While I was fortunate the first time to get two products of the Ajax system, Gerrard coming in changes the way we’d have to set up. Here he’ll be played wide right, in front of a full back who can support the buildup play and overlap, and a defensively minded midfielder in Goncalves who can cover when he drifts. With Overmars stretching play on the left, Bergkamp can drift into different areas, allowing Gerrard to drift into that inside right channel as well as wide right to cross, or attack the goal.

Maverick - Dennis Bergkamp
Bergkamp slots back into a more regonizable role here playing off the striker in a 4-4-2. With a strong midfield two behind him, a speedy left winger to stretch play, and Gerrard who will draw attention in the inside right channel, Bergkamp can look to drift around and pull strings as needed. He can drop deeper between the lines to help start the move, and also get in and around the box to get on the end of the wide players crosses, and link up with the technically sound Elkjaer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why did you take Marcelo and Raul on reinforcement when you have Evra and Ian Rush, @P-Nut ? then go with Raul as CF and Vogts as wingback.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Why did you take Marcelo and Raul on reinforcement when you have Evra and Ian Rush, @P-Nut ? then go with Raul as CF and Vogts as wingback.
Marcelo fits a LWB role perfectly more so than Evra and was the benchmark for attacking left backs for near enough a generation of players.
Vogts I have no issues with a WB, he's a complete full back and whilst not nearly as attacking as Marcelo there is no clear upgrade on him either as a RB or a RWB.

Raul was a pick with the theme of the draft in mind. Having the 3 CMs meant Cubillas role had to be changed slightly and in oder for him to still take centre stage I wanted more of a facilitator in Raul than I would have had in Rush.

Raul played with superstar after superstar in his career and always kept his place due to his ability to make those around him better, that's exactly what I want from him here with Cubillas the star of the show.

Skizzo

Enough people have probably seen enough of Gerrard to know what he offers, and his limitations. He’s surrounded here by technically brilliant players, who are tactically flexible to work around him, and solid defensively to allow him to roam in that area of the pitch. He’s gonna work hard up and down that flank, and without any designated wingers in the opposition team, him and Overmars would look to work the channels.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
saddness when you have to justify Marcelo as an upgrade

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
saddness when you have to justify Marcelo as an upgrade
Just checked his stats to make sure I hadn't imagined it, he's got over 100 assists for Madrid as a defender and he's still somehow underrated. He's basically got the same attacking output as Carlos at Madrid

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
It's an upgrade. But feels like there's a need more to upgrade RWB as the sole width, don't you think so?
just depends how you see vogts, id personally move him to back 3 instead of willy/picchi and get another wingback

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
just depends how you see vogts, id personally move him to back 3 instead of willy/picchi and get another wingback
Exactly. But I can see P-Nut wants to leave that RWB position for another future liability player.