Max Aarons

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Surprised that he dont have a thread. He gets a few mentions here and there, but he appear to be very underrated.

Essential at right back for Norwich who gained promotion this year. Young player of the year and made the team of the year in the Championship. Born in 2000.

In my opinion he is a lot more talented than Wan-Bissaka and his allround game is probably better already. He is very agile with great pace and stamnia, and with his low center of gravity and tight ball control he is almost reminiscent of a typical spanish 8. Perhaps more important, he know how to make use of the ball and is great going forward off the ball. Its difficult to compare him to anyone, but I would say he is more in the Robertson/TAA-mould than Wan-Bissaka.

I know that quite a few in here still feel that the most important attributes for a defender is being able to defend. But if we are going to compete with teams like Liverpool and Man City we need to be attacking. And to attack with intent against well organized teams like Wigan, Watford, Newcastle etc we rely on having as many players as possible that know what to do with the ball in the final third. In my opinion, Wan-Bissaka is still raw in this area. He is young and could develop. But Max Aarons is a natural and already brilliant.

(For the record, I’m not saying Max Aarons is a poor defender, but it probably is the only part of the game where you could argue in favour of AWB.)

In short, I would much rather have a type like Max Aarons than Wan-Bissaka. And considering Max Aarons is a Norwich player I would be very surprised if he is not available for us. I would not be surprised at all if Spurs or maybe even Man City went for him. And I’m sure he will look even better at a higher level for a better team that plays more to his strenghts.

I was always a fan of Maddison at Norwich, and made a thread about him a bit more than one year ago, but I do feel that Max Aarons will have an even bigger impact if he moves. I’m sure people will mention Sessegnon, but in my opinion this is a different case. Sessegnon appeared to be a very talented but raw player with a great ability to score goals. Max Aarons strikes me as more rounded and mature.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

I’ve seen him live several times this year and have to say he is absolutely fantastic, better on the ball than most of the other players on the pitch. Reminds me of Kyle Walker a little bit.

Will get a big move next summer mark my words.

drdoityourself

Norwich is my second favorite team so I've seen him quite a lot.
What's impressed me most is his character. His will to win, poise and energy in tight games chasing a goal is superb.

Saying that I hope he stays another year with Norwich. Back four with Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey will be interesting to see in the PL.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
AWB is far superior defensively. Its not even close.
Put it this way, he is far more superior attacking than AWB is defending. Probably a better defender than TAA and Robertson too, but I will wait one year to say for sure.

I think AWB could be more suited to a team playing defensive and reactive football. In a side that seeks to dominate and attack I’m confident Max Aarons will be the better player.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Norwich is my second favorite team so I've seen him quite a lot.
What's impressed me most is his character. His will to win, poise and energy in tight games chasing a goal is superb.

Saying that I hope he stays another year with Norwich. Back four with Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey will be interesting to see in the PL.
I agree. And this are qualities we are desperate for in our team.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Put it this way, he is far more superior attacking than AWB is defending. Probably a better defender than TAA and Robertson too, but I will wait one year to say for sure.

I think AWB could be more suited to a team playing defensive and reactive football. In a side that seeks to dominate and attack I’m confident Max Aarons will be the better player.
We don't need a second Dalot. Its far easier to teach a solid defending player with raw offensive skills to get better in attack. Than the other way round IMO. Most coaches would fail to do with a TAA type what Klopp is.

Overall though it depends on our strategy for the next 3-5 years. If we want to compete quick. AWB is the stand out answer.
If we want to take our time developing a new team. Aarons is the answer due to his superior range of natural gifts

Shinjch

I would be more keen on him than I would be on Wan-Bissaka. See him as a good option.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
We don't need a second Dalot. Its far easier to teach a solid defending player with raw offensive skills to get better in attack. Than the other way round IMO. Most coaches would fail to do with a TAA type what Klopp is
Well, he is not a second Dalot. He is actually quite good at defending. And he is only 19. (His ball retention is also very good, something that should be considered part of the defending abilities as they face teams that is becoming better and better at pressing.)

And a solid defending player might become decent in attack, but if a player is very limited at the age of 21/22 he will never be great going forward. AWB is decent technically, but he seems very insecure going forward. I will be very surprised if he ever is considered an attacking asset.

And the way football is developing, not being an asset going forward will, at a top team, be considered a crucial weakness.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's a real talent. Watched it live a bit and he does have real poise about him. Along with Lewis and Godfrey they've got a really exciting back line.

I am not convinced a player still below 23 cant improve on their offensive skill. Even if it wasn't their strongest suit to begin with. Yet we see attackers and midfielders do it all the time.

I also don't buy this need for fullbacks to be 'great going forward'. What is needed is ruthless efficiency going forward. Namely ability to hold the width, the desire and pace to attack the space in front, and to consistently pick out people with crosses or passes in danger areas from the flank. Even if your dribbling skill is next to none existent

passing-wind

He's small but he knows how to use his size and low centre of gravity effectively. He's been impressive in the odd fixtures I've seen, can put a foot in too. He's certainly not at the level of AWB defensively but it's more dynamic in attacking areas and genuinely in possession.

I'd honestly take him as a second back up to a fullback, if anyone thinks that Dalot will play a key fullback role in years to come, you are mistaken. Dalot should rightly and only be a Winger on the right. It's been his best position this season, he's outperformed Lingard and Mata in that role in my opinion.

NinjaFletch

I do worry we're making the mistake with AWB as we did with Shaw; splurging a shit load of money on the next 'in vogue' English full back without at all thinking about what he's good at. Unless we're planning to upgrade Shaw with a better option going forward having two full backs that don't offer much in attack is really going to hamper us.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I am not convinced a player still below 23 cant improve on their offensive skill. Even if it wasn't their strongest suit to begin with. Yet we see attackers and midfielders do it all the time.
Sorry, I might have been a bit unclear. I’m not saying they can not improve. Not at all. I’m saying there is a limit to how much, and that this limit is not very high.

Anyway, looking forward to following the two of them. If we go down the AWB route I do hope I am wrong. But I do think it will turn out to be one more case where we went down the wrong route. And I do think we will realize as soon as next year if another top 6 team get Aarons.

Sorry, I might have been a bit unclear. I’m not saying they can not improve. Not at all. I’m saying there is a limit to how much, and that this limit is not very high.

Anyway, looking forward to following the two of them. If we go down the AWB route I do hope I am wrong. But I do think it will turn out to be one more case where we went down the wrong route. And I do think we will realize as soon as next year if another top 6 team get Aarons.
Fair enough

I do worry we're making the mistake with AWB as we did with Shaw; splurging a shit load of money on the next 'in vogue' English full back without at all thinking about what he's good at. Unless we're planning to upgrade Shaw with a better option going forward having two full backs that don't offer much in attack is really going to hamper us.
Shaw does not hamper us at all. Its having absolutely nothing down the right that hampers us.

NinjaFletch

Shaw does not hamper us at all. Its having absolutely nothing down the right that hampers us.
Steady on champ, read what I said.

There's two points there.

1) Shaw was signed as the next big thing signing despite not being very good going forward. That's what AWB also seems like to me.

2) Having two fullbacks who both aren't very good going forward is going to hamper us (as we saw this season, and as you apparently agree)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I agree. Teams that face us know that they just have to stop our build up from the left (where Lindelof, Shaw and our best attacking winger is). It makes it easier to press us and a lot more difficult being Shaw and Lindelof (and even Pogba playing on the left).

Bringing in a central defender and a right back that is better playing out from the back will be a game changer. (Not to mention the right winger.)

ZupZup

I like Max Aarons... but I'm not sure what a signing like that would say to the likes of Ethan Laird who is one of our most talented young players. If we hadn't signed Dalot, I think it makes sense... but do we really need 2 promising young right backs when we have a third who is maybe a season away from challenging for a spot?

In Rainbows

Love it when there's two completely polar opposite opinions right after one another :lol:
TBF, there are two sides to a fullback and so we most likely prefer two different styles. I prefer someone who adds to the attack and someone who is very technical.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I like Max Aarons... but I'm not sure what a signing like that would say to the likes of Ethan Laird who is one of our most talented young players. If we hadn't signed Dalot, I think it makes sense... but do we really need 2 promising young right backs when we have a third who is maybe a season away from challenging for a spot?
Aye, I agree. No point signings Aarons, Bogle, AWB or any other young RB. If Management still think Laird is 1/2 years away then sign a stop gap 28 year old who can be a first teamer straight away and rotate Dalot.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I see your point and to some extent I agree. At the same time, all three of them, Laird, Dalot and Aarons, have played several games on the left. Our future fullbacks would then be Shaw, Aarons, Dalot and Laird. If Laird actually makes it.

Not to mention that both Dalot and Laird will have to develop a lot to be considered good enough. We can not do them any favours by not giving them competition.

Steady on champ, read what I said.

There's two points there.

1) Shaw was signed as the next big thing signing despite not being very good going forward. That's what AWB also seems like to me.
That was apparent to be fair. It still has no bearing on my point though. Shaw does NOT hamper us in attack at all.

2) Having two fullbacks who both aren't very good going forward is going to hamper us (as we saw this season, and as you apparently agree)
Actually, I don't agree. For unlike you I don't count Shaw as 'not very good going forward'.

I insist, give us a right footed luke shaw at right back and we'd be twice the team we are going forward currently. We'd not be hampered at all. Just enhanced. Shaw is a solid attacking out let down the left, that is why by far our most consistent attacking flank is the left one. The only thing he can be faulted on is his delivery can be more efficient. Which he can now concentrate on improving now his fitness woes seem well and truly gone.

Last edited:
I agree. Teams that face us know that they just have to stop our build up from the left (where Lindelof, Shaw and our best attacking winger is). It makes it easier to press us and a lot more difficult being Shaw and Lindelof (and even Pogba playing on the left).

Bringing in a central defender and a right back that is better playing out from the back will be a game changer. (Not to mention the right winger.)
Indeed

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I think he would be a good player to sign and loan. I actually think he has a lot of potential, but don't think he's ready yet. Just look at Dalot.

Red_Beans

Apparently has signed a new contract according to my Palace supporting friend. Certainly one to watch.
I thought you lot would be in for him. better for his development to delay his move by another season though

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I thought you lot would be in for him. better for his development to delay his move by another season though
Apparently we were, seems to be a Poch style fullback, if we had of signed him we would have probably loaned back anyway. Think he deserves a season in the PL at Norwich.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Any Norwich watchers have an opinion on how he's been this season?