McTominay as a striker (3/4th choice in case that isn't entirely obvious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
They should take action against you.

You aren't a mod, so don't tried to pretend you are.

I really do dislike arrogant little shits who think they are better than others, but just suffer from small penis syndrome.
reported.

i’m in this and i don’t like it.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
The long term will look after itself.

We have a current need for options in attack. If this option worked out then great maybe we keep him as the utility option for numerous positions.

If he doesn't we'll be needing to take a chance on youth or spend more money.

I didn't think it needed to be explicit, but this thread was never intended as a McTominay can solve all our striker issues as the main man!
Or we could sign a capable backup striker. Belotti/Dybala are free as well and I'd take both over McT as a CF option.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This has to be a WUM, right?

UnitedFire

Have we seen any real evidence that McTominay is good at any of the following aspects a striker needs.

a. Hold-up play
b. Timing and movement in the box
c. Finishing in one-on-one situations
d. Running in the channels
e. Taking on a man with dribbling ability

This seems to be purely based on height and the fact that he has hit a handful of good shots over the last three years. It's a dreadful, dreadful idea. One of the worst I have ever seen on this forum, and arguably much worse than the classic Lindelöf as DM.
Well done for trying to break it down in a more meaningful way.

Hold up play is literally the basics of being a midfielder. Its the position you have to be the most effective at doing so given you can be tackled from every angle and often multiple players.

He has shown timing and movement at the edge of the box and as a CB for Scotland. He also used to be a striker in the youth team. I'm sure he could nail this.

One on one finishing hasn't exactly been working out for us lately. Creating proper chances for someone to finish it is a far better objective than hoping a striker can work individual magic.

Running on the channels is all part of the dynamic of being a midfielder. I'm sure he could do this as a striker and the type of striker I'm thinking isn't chicharito!

The dribbling ability is similar to the one on one aspect. It's great if you have a striker that can do it all, but we have wide forwards who do that. As a central striker your main job if the team is well organised is to finish opportunities, so at most a small shuffle and hit, but mostly first time strikes.

Again I'll clarify. Do I think McTominay will become a top 20 striker... No. Will he be a top 2 strikers for us... Unlikely

Can he do a job as a third or fourth striker, quite possibly.

First.. Ronaldo or we have to get another
Second.. Martial if he can maintain form
Third... I would have hoped one of Hugill, McNeil, Garnacho, Elanga or Shoretire, but the first two are probably not physically there yet, the latter three are arguably more wingers and don't babe the physicality.

So who then should be our third / fourth options? Rashford is a horrible striker. Bruno hasn't shown the physicality to handle that and be is essential to creating opportunities.

Should Man Utd have to ask these questions or indeed about CBs in DMs, feck no, but do we have a Board showing they are willing to address all our obvious gaps... feck no.

So there is a needs must aspect and also a question as to what is genuinely the best position for the players we have. I'm absolutely certain beyond doubt that McTominay is a truly awful DM so I'd happily try anything that has him not being played there.

Last edited:

CallyRed

Whilst I don't think he should be a striker, I think at a new club he would do a job as a midfielder playing further forward. Like a Kevin Nolan.

UnitedFire

Or we could sign a capable backup striker. Belotti/Dybala are free as well and I'd take both over McT as a CF option.
Sometimes this is the answer, but we don't seem to go for it very often. Why haven't we address the DM with multiple cheap options.

A big part will be its not free... Huge signings on fees, massive wages.

Stacks

And what

Hold up play is literally the basics of being a midfielder. Its the position you have to be the most effective at doing so given you can be tackled from every angle and often multiple players.

He has shown timing and movement at the edge of the box and as a CB for Scotland. He also used to be a striker in the youth team. I'm sure he could nail this.

One on one finishing hasn't exactly been working out for us lately. Creating proper chances for someone to finish it is a far better objective than hoping a striker can work individual magic.

Running on the channels is all part of the dynamic of being a midfielder. I'm sure he could do this as a striker and the type of striker I'm thinking isn't chicharito!

The dribbling ability is similar to the one on one aspect. It's great if you have a striker that can do it all, but we have wide forwards who do that. As a central striker your main job if the team is well organised is to finish opportunities, so at most a small shuffle and hit, but mostly first time strikes.

Again I'll clarify. Do I think McTominay will become a top 20 striker... No. Will he be a top 2 strikers for us... Unlikely

Can he do a job as a third or fourth striker, quite possibly.

First.. Ronaldo or we have to get another
Second.. Martial if he can maintain form
Third... I would have hoped one of Hugill, McNeil, Garnacho, Elanga or Shoretire, but the first two are probably not physically there yet, the latter three are arguably more wingers and don't babe the physicality.

So who then should be our third / fourth options? Rashford is a horrible striker. Bruno hasn't shown the physicality to handle that and be is essential to creating opportunities.

Should Man Utd have to ask these questions or indeed about CBs in DMs, feck no, but do we have a Board showing they are willing to address all our obvious gaps... feck no.

So there is a needs must aspect and also a question as to what is genuinely the best position for the players we have. I'm absolutely certain beyond doubt that McTominay is a truly awful DM so I'd happily try anything that has him not being played there.
McTom actually completes some of the most dribbles of CM in the league.

Andersonson

I started off as a striker, moved to right wing, occasionally striker again. As my composure got better I moved to midfield and spent a long time here, sometimes as CM, sometimes AM.

As age has kicked in I've become more of a DLPM. I've never been a great tackler, but passing and crossing has always been on point. That with pace has made up for the tackling. I.e. More of an intercepter/ nick the ball away from feet, rather than sliding in

I've played football almost my whole life and numerous games a week for much of it.

All these means entirely jack shit compared to elite football, but I'm certain I have a better understanding of the game than half those on here thinking they are some kind of football messiah, but really they just have a superiority complex to make up for their lack of love growing up.
This is of course possible in a sunday league, but you very very rarely see this at the top level, and for a reason. Not many are able to adapt at pro level. Just look at the strikers who have been relying on their pace, when its lost they are mostly done. In sunday league you can get by just by beeing fit. It aint really compareable.

UnitedFire

McTom actually completes some of the most dribbles of CM in the league.
As much as the helps backup my point, even I can accept there is a big difference from carrying the ball in midfield dribbles than the equivalent up front, but yeah for sure he could counter dribble into space and get a shot or pass.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Please tell me your choice for the third and fourth backup strikers, assuming Ronaldo and Martial are 1 and 2
Well Rashford, obviously, then the likes of Elanga, Sancho and Amad would all be ahead of someone like McTominay. In fact, I think Bruno would too.

UnitedFire

This is of course possible in a sunday league, but you very very rarely see this at the top level, and for a reason. Not many are able to adapt at pro level. Just look at the strikers who have been relying on their pace, when its lost they are mostly done. In sunday league you can get by just by beeing fit. It aint really compareable.
Exactly as I said... It means entirely jack shit at elite level.

I think players moving positions is becoming rarer as the game is at such a high level. We saw plenty of it in the 90s.

The two reasons for my suggestion is firstly I don't think McTominay is a DM or even a very good CM. I don't rate his distribution as an AM either. We don't need a CB and I don't rate his tackling to be a CB either.

So basically I think his best position would be a striker.

Secondly we have a lack of backup strikers and therefore we have a need to fulfil which very likely won't happen in the transfer window. Also we are talking a third/ fourth striker so it's just not a huge priority in a one central striker system.

UnitedFire

Well Rashford, obviously, then the likes of Elanga, Sancho and Amad would all be ahead of someone like McTominay. In fact, I think Bruno would too.
That's four wingers you've listed.

Rashford has already shown he isn't very good there and recently isnt very good at all. Sancho and Amad would get destroyed as central strikers. Elanga is physically there, but I'm not convinced beyond that. Again more a winger than a striker for me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It went like most threads on this forum.

Lots of arrogant top reds thinking they know better, despite any evidence to the contrary. So yeah I guess we should get back to talking about our title push with McTominay playing in DM, because that is clearly really working out for us with no trophies in 5 years.
Redcafe isn't the most forgiving when it comes to unpopular opinions or unpopular players at the best of times. Especially when you combine the two, that's just asking for trouble :p

My two penneth on the subject of Mctominay deployed in the striker role: no, just no.

I guess he could function as a target man when we're chasing the winner in the last 10 minutes of a game. I mean, he's good in the air and can finish fairly well on his day.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
That's four wingers you've listed.

Rashford has already shown he isn't very good there and recently isnt very good at all. Sancho and Amad would get destroyed as central strikers. Elanga is physically there, but I'm not convinced beyond that. Again more a winger than a striker for me.
Rashford is a striker in my eyes. The others might be wingers primarily but would all I think be preferred to McTominay up front.

It might be a tactical option in some games though, I can see that, and of course he has played there a bit in the youth team, and does have some attributes of a striker.

r1z3mu

MC gets Haaland as a striker. Real has Benzema. To counterbalance we will move McTominay up front.
I have similar idea - how about converting Ronaldo into box-to-box midfielder. :drool:

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
If he can cleanly strike from the edge of the box do you not think that is significantly harder than doing the same thing in the box.

The point is his finishing technique looks to be one of his key attributes. He wouldn't have been put in this position in Man Utd youth teams if it wasn't.

Ole made reference to his striking with authority and the fact he used to be a striker.

For someone at 6 foot 3 he is pretty mobile and physically strong.

An international team don't put you at Centreback if they don't think you can defend a cross better than someone can attack it. Well turn that concept round and you have someone who is better at attacking a cross than your average striker.
Drugs are bad, my friend. I wish you well.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
He turns 26 in December. It might be too late to learn all the tricks of the trade of being a striker, or is it.

He is physically perfect as a striker, strong, has experience of winning balls in the air. At 6 foot 3 he has the height for winning crosses, although so far hasn't shown any heading ability in terms of getting goals.

He is pretty quick. His composure and striking ability is very good.

I'd argue Man Utd shouldn't be putting square pegs in round holes, but I do think McTominay would be a better striker than midfielder so if we can't replace him either way I'd be inclined to get him out of the midfield.

Thoughts? Ramblings of a mad man or something in it? He clearly won't have the skill of a Martial, but he might have the physical attributes to offer something else.
Did he not start out as a striker?

UnitedFire

MC gets Haaland as a striker. Real has Benzema. To counterbalance we will move McTominay up front.
I have similar idea - how about converting Ronaldo into box-to-box midfielder. :drool:
If you are going to compare at least compare the third/ fourth options, not the first pick.

We've had plenty of examples of players that have moved position and still we're first pick, but it would have to have gone pretty damn well for that to happen with a striker.

UnitedFire

If this would take him out of the midfield, I'm all for it.
The tunnel at OT is in the corner so it would also make him closer to an exit (at least for one half of the match) ....!

Just get a pre agreement in place and the van parked outside ready to trigger the agreement in the middle of a bad match :lol: :lol: :lol:

r1z3mu

If you are going to compare at least compare the third/ fourth options, not the first pick.

We've had plenty of examples of players that have moved position and still we're first pick, but it would have to have gone pretty damn well for that to happen with a striker.
My post was innocent joke - nothing serious. Just to calm people down.

He has shown timing and movement at the edge of the box and as a CB for Scotland.

Hold up play as a central midfielder is completely different from a striker. Receiving the ball under pressure in his own half is one of McTominay's weakest attributes as a midfielder, and you're suggesting he could be effective receiving it with his back to goal pinned up against a center-back 90% of the time - like the poster said, this is based entirely on him being a big lad.

Making late runs into the box as a central midfielder, having started 40 yards deeper, is also completely different from finding space as a striker with a marker constantly on you. So again, like Mike Smalling said, the idea that McTominay can do this is likely based on a couple of goals against Leeds.

"One on one finishing hasn't exactly been working out for us lately" - how does sticking the player with perhaps the worst positional sense in our entire squad up front help with creating proper chances?

Very much a suggestion along the same lines as Lindelof and Wan-Bissaka at DM.

Abraxas

How often will a 3rd or 4th choice striker even be necessary? I don't see us using 2 strikers often. So even though it's a controversial idea it's also a bit of a nothing idea because we're talking about something extremely remote as a possibility. The manager has Ronaldo (presently), Martial, Rashford, Bruno he can use there.

I think trying failing players in every position until something sticks probably isn't the approach. Baring in mind Scotland use him as a defender and he has not impressed there which is frustrating to me because in theory he has the athleticism, passing to be an option. If he's not good enough he should be moved on after this season.

lex talionis

McTominay clearly cannot be deployed as a striker. Shame on me if this thread was intended to be a joke from the beginning and here I am, in seriousness rejecting the idea that he can be converted or even used occasionally as a striker.

But what McTominay can do is take shots from distance and score the occasional goal.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
Unironically, he's no Fellaini and can't act as a striker for 1 minute.

Fellaini is actually the best plan B targetman in the world and very clutch too.

If 5 minutes are left on the clock and I need a goal, there's nobody else I'd rather hoof it upto.

AndySmith1990

McTominay clearly cannot be deployed as a striker. Shame on me if this thread was intended to be a joke from the beginning and here I am, in seriousness rejecting the idea that he can be converted or even used occasionally as a striker.

But what McTominay can do is take shots from distance and score the occasional goal.
Literally any professional football player can take long shots and occasionally score. Even conference players bang them in from a distance from time to time

Status
Not open for further replies.