Men’s Olympics Football | Japan 2021…

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Feckin hell, Eric. Actually thought he'd had a half decent game until whatever that was

massi83

8 players surrounding the ref. Never change Spain. Weak ref for not giving bookings.

Pavl3n

Me before the Olympics: 'Bailly will have his pre-season at the Olympics, he'll be fit when he joins up with the squad'
Me today:'If £5m bid comes in for him, I'll bite your arm'

CM

Feel for Ivory Coast here. They've played quite well but been let down by individual errors

Rob Bowman

Yeah, Bailly wonders why he is not called on regulary and he does stuff like that today.

No idea what he was thinking putting his arms up going into that arial duel... :confused::confused:

Lj82

Yoshida walks off nonchalantly after scoring the penalty that sends Japan into the semi finals while his teammates run to celebrate with him. How cool is that?

OleBoiii

Yoshida walks off nonchalantly after scoring the penalty that sends Japan into the semi finals while his teammates run to celebrate with him. How cool is that?
The difference in body language between Yoshida and the other Japanese players was fun to watch :lol: Night and day.

jimorrison

Mexico 6

Korea. 3

Mexico advances to semifinal vs Brazil and is in contention for an Olympic medal.

MoM = Sebastian Cordova

OleBoiii

Well played Mexico, but I'm kind of sad that South Korea lost. I was hoping for a Japan vs South Korea final. That would have been beyond intense!

Chief123

A lot of people commenting saying Bailly made a mess in the 92nd minute. It wasn’t him who went for the header and messed it up. It was the other defender.

Nick7

A lot of people commenting saying Bailly made a mess in the 92nd minute. It wasn’t him who went for the header and messed it up. It was the other defender.
He didn’t cover himself in glory either.

Chief123

He didn’t cover himself in glory either.
Yeah not the best handling of the situation. Bailly has never been great in the air which is a major problem for a centre back.

Despite loving him and having repeated hopes of him becoming a beast for us, I’ve accepted the guy is a nutcase and will never be stable enough to rely on. I’m pretty certain if he played every game of the season, he would at some point head butt a referee.

OleBoiii

The penalties in the semi final between Mexico and Brazil were incredibly shite.

The goalkeepers guessed the right direction for every kick apart from one. Most of the shots were in perfect goalkeeper height as well.

MUFC OK

Spain to beat Japan is surely a no brainer? Their team is pretty damn strong with the likes of Olmo, Pedri, Gil, Torres, Oyarzabal.

OleBoiii

Spain to beat Japan is surely a no brainer? Their team is pretty damn strong with the likes of Olmo, Pedri, Gil, Torres, Oyarzabal.
Spain are the definitely the favorites player-for-player, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japan wins it. They've been one of the more solid teams in this tournament and they like to play against attacking teams.

MUFC OK

Spain are the definitely the favorites player-for-player, but I wouldn't be surprised if Japan wins it. They've been one of the more solid teams in this tournament and they like to play against attacking teams.
I’ve gone for Spain to win @23/20. Decent value in my eyes.

OleBoiii

Extra time now. Fairly even game, but Spain have had the two biggest chances.

The referee totally fecked Japan over near the end there, though. He should have played the advantage.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spain been pretty underwhelming for all their talent. Players just gassed from playing non stop for over a year.

Spain-Brazil the predictable final, think Brazil will edge it 1-0.

OleBoiii

Heart-breaking for Japan to be so close to the final. I think they did slightly better than Spain in extra time, but ultimately it comes down to individual class in key moments.

Credit to Spain, though. They picked the perfect style to counter Japan. I was hoping they'd commit more men forward, but they kept it relatively safe, which in return made it hard for Japan to create big chances.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

I only ever really watch the Football, and some of the Track & Field events, at the Olympics.

There's been some very good matches at the tournament and I'm pleased to see it end with a Brazil - Spain final. They weren't the highest scoring / most entertaining of SF's, but they were OK and they've helped set up the final I've been hoping for.

Last edited:

Mr. P Mosh

HT: Mexico 2 - 0 Japan

In Mexico '68 Japan won the Bronze medal 2-nil against Mexico, now it seems we will return the favor against them in their home country as well.

luke511

Sebastian Cordova has been terrific this tournament, could easily play in a better league than the Liga MX.

OleBoiii

Congratulations Mexico!

It's fascinating that Japan's U23 team has the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the main team, and that these issues have been the same for 11 years, with many different coaches and players involved. Japan are great at everything that happens between the two boxes. Passing, technique, off-the-ball movement, progressing the ball forwards. They are world class when it comes to this.

But ultimately they concede too many weak goals and they are not deadly enough in front of goal. Until they can create top goal scorers on a consistent basis they will never enter the ranks of Brazil, France and Germany etc.

RoyH1

Strong performance from Mexico to win the bronze. That Cordova guy is a hell of a player.

Lj82

Congratulations Mexico!

It's fascinating that Japan's U23 team has the exact same strengths and weaknesses as the main team, and that these issues have been the same for 11 years, with many different coaches and players involved. Japan are great at everything that happens between the two boxes. Passing, technique, off-the-ball movement, progressing the ball forwards. They are world class when it comes to this.

But ultimately they concede too many weak goals and they are not deadly enough in front of goal. Until they can create top goal scorers on a consistent basis they will never enter the ranks of Brazil, France and Germany etc.
Now you've said it, I can't recall any Japanese striker or GK that made it in the European Big leagues

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Bruno Guimares having a good tournament, he could be a good addition to many teams. Probably available for less than 40/35M too with Lyon needing cash.
New Spurs boy Gil came on and shown some nice little tricks but looks very lightweight, his first season in the PL is going to hit him hard.