MEN report on Jose Mourinho's tenure at United and his relationship with Woodward

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
"The biggest mistake Manchester United made with Jose Mourinho was they did not appoint him three years earlier. Or rather, the kingmaker didn't."

"Sir Alex Ferguson's blinkered view on British coaches set United back five years and, just when they were on an upward trajectory under Mourinho in 2018, the Glazer family and Ed Woodward set them back again."

Continue reading here...
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-news-jose-mourinho-17434825

The atmosphere on Caf is so flat these days. So, may be this thread will shake up things a bit :smirk:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
"Sir Alex Ferguson's blinkered view on British coaches set United back five years...”

It’s alright, because when we finally did employ Jose Mourinho, he set us back another good few years.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Skimming through - unsurprisingly gash article by Luckhurst, btw.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I thought Duncan Castles was the only one on the Mendes payroll. Looks like Luckhurst latched onto the Portuguese tit.

AaronRedDevil

Not every one can be captain hindsight. No one knew how it was gonna pan out. if united employed jose first day we'd have been much better off. He'd have a team with winning mentality, great players, leaders and the transition would have been so much smoother. Couldn't believe Moyes got the job. My picks were Ancelotti and klopp. Oh well, hopefully after 6-7 long years, United are close to rebuilding a solid team. Hopefully

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What a bunch of horse sh*t. Mourinho may have been a good manager in the past but not anymore. He hasn't been a great manager in quite a while. He knew nothing of "the United way" and just wanted to buy old players. He wanted more money for central defenders even though he had already bought 2. He is all about "the now" and has no eye on the future. We might not be getting great results right now, but we are back to the way we used to operate and I am proud to support this club with how things are running now. Then? Not so much...

AshRK

Yes Jose was appointed at a wrong time. Maybe he could have been a better fit in 2013 but having said that he should have done better here. There is no two way about that.

Zlatattack

A terrible article, really poor quality writing, seems like a ranting forum post. Not sure if it wasn't copied off a match day thread or off reddit.

I do think Mourinho would have done better if he got the job when Moyes did. That group of players were much maturer and able to deal with JM and his character. When he came in the squad was in a much poorer state and i think mentally weaker too. It turns out it wasn't a good mix.

Greck

Skimming through - unsurprisingly gash article by Luckhurst, btw.
Oh no fexking wonder. The whole thing read like a dictionary of Jose-apology. He didn't even feign objectivity. The guy makes Jose out as the victim even on 50/50 disputes. Let's see if Jose gets that 500m backing at Spurs

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Knew it would be by Luckhurst without even needing to click the link, that's all you need to know.

Think he kisses a picture of him on his bedside table goodnight.

Greck

Knew it would be by Luckhurst without even needing to click the link, that's all you need to know.

Think he kisses a picture of him on his bedside table goodnight.
You just know he raided the lowry to get a whiff of Jose's bedsheets after he was sacked

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Seems obvious enough that he would've been a better fit in 2013. But in retrospect what we needed in 2013 was the same thing we need now, i.e. a fundamental rethink about structure(s), long-term strategies, etc.

Jose was never the man for that. He would have gotten much more out of that squad than Moyes - and given the quality of the opposition at the time, he could very well have won a league or two. Which would have been nice and all. But the fundamental problems would've remained the same.

Likely (enough) scenario: Jose takes over and does well for two straight seasons - then comes the reaction (meltdown to some extent, alienation of players, strained relationship with Woodward like as not, in short the usual business) and then, yes, what? What does he leave behind? At what point does the truth about United's post-SAF structural issues hit home? As soon as Jose leaves? Probably not.

He could've easily turned out to be nothing but a sticking plaster, delaying the inevitable for a couple of seasons.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Okay so perisic told jose that Inter won't budge on the asking price. Luckhurst must be in the same WhatsApp group

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He’d obviously have been the better appointment over Moyes like. At worst the team probably wouldn’t have been quite so gutted.
I don’t blame Fergie for it though. If those in charge only decided to go with who he thought, even when it’s David Moyes, that’s on them. There should’ve been far more preparation for it, and real analysis of what the next manager could bring to the table. There obviously wasn’t.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
A terrible article, really poor quality writing, seems like a ranting forum post. Not sure if it wasn't copied off a match day thread or off reddit.

I do think Mourinho would have done better if he got the job when Moyes did. That group of players were much maturer and able to deal with JM and his character. When he came in the squad was in a much poorer state and i think mentally weaker too. It turns out it wasn't a good mix.
100% this.

Karlos PFC

Seems obvious enough that he would've been a better fit in 2013. But in retrospect what we needed in 2013 was the same thing we need now, i.e. a fundamental rethink about structure(s), long-term strategies, etc.

Jose was never the man for that. He would have gotten much more out of that squad than Moyes - and given the quality of the opposition at the time, he could very well have won a league or two. Which would have been nice and all. But the fundamental problems would've remained the same.

Likely (enough) scenario: Jose takes over and does well for two straight seasons - then comes the reaction (meltdown to some extent, alienation of players, strained relationship with Woodward like as not, in short the usual business) and then, yes, what? What does he leave behind? At what point does the truth about United's post-SAF structural issues hit home? As soon as Jose leaves? Probably not.

He could've easily turned out to be nothing but a sticking plaster, delaying the inevitable for a couple of seasons.
I think you live under the illusion that this whole rebuilding thing will guarantee us success for the next 15-20 years.
No team lasts for that long being successful unless it has a phenomenal manager (Fergie) or a well organized, stable and with clear vision ownership (Chelsea).
At the moment we dont have any of these two. Ole is truly in heavy competition with Moyes for the worst football I've ever seen from us. He has a small team mentality like Pulis or Big Sam or Moyes. We play the same shit as with Mourinho at times even worse.

Mourinho as you say may have won us 1 or 2 leagues.
Well you know what, teams dont have to ripped apart to build a new one. If we won the league then you continue building from there. Same goes for the 2nd position under Mou. I didn't enjoy the football under Mourinho but the board didnt back him when he was begging for a CB (Maguire) or when he wanted Pogba gone (that turned out great).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Always fun to go over the last 6 years again and again isn't it.

You have to laugh that Moyes was spun as the first choice, then as soon as it was clear he was an utter disaster, the story suddenly turned into him being about 73rd choice, as all the managers who then were doing excellently, were suddenly our actual choices.

Would love to know the actual truth.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
We made history breaking transfer records, bought him 2 CB's he wanted, dealt with the devil in Raiola 4 times to sign Mkhitaryan, Zlatan, Lukaku and Pogba. Signed Lindelof on the back of him saying that he watched him every week, Dalot was his signing. Signed his mate Matic and gave record breaking wages to Sanchez. Oh and signed Fred for 50m because our midfield was light.

What a disgrace of an argument.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I love the fact that Ed did great research on Jose before hiring him, he read a whole 7 books about him!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Always fun to go over the last 6 years again and again isn't it.

You have to laugh that Moyes was spun as the first choice, then as soon as it was clear he was an utter disaster, the story suddenly turned into him being about 73rd choice, as all the managers who then were doing excellently, were suddenly our actual choices.

Would love to know the actual truth.
I had a source on the training ground at Chelsea who said Jose's return was sealed in February. This same source has in the past told me about things before the media did, AVB banishing Anelka and the Yokohama sponsorship two examples (infact I found out about the latter while the mainstream media were still reporting we were going with Turkish airlines) so I'm inclined to believe him.

Not sure how that ties in with any potential approach from United but thought I'll add some extra context to go on.

Eddy_JukeZ

"The bar is low, but Mourinho is comfortably #mufc's finest manager post-Ferguson - and the only one they did not back "

Invalidates the entire article/story.

Mourinho was backed and still failed horribly.

cyril C

There is nothing wrong with LVG or Mourinho's appointment. Only problem was lacking a Technical Director. With a competent Director, we would have avoided recruiting Schneiderlin, Rojo, Darmian, and possibly Blind, although not able to block Schweistiger or Di Maria. And also able to block the recruitment of Sanchez, Fellaini, and a whole bunch of nearly there players who have hardly started for the club. There are all capable managers, Moyes is the only one who can turn a Champion into a Loser.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I didn't realise Klopp, Guardiola and Ancelotti were British
Yeap, they are from Midlands :) Which must be why SAF personally reached out to Pep, when Pep was taking a break from coaching in NYC, asking him to take over at United, only to get denied by Pep. Moyes was a plan B (or C, D...)

Rumor has it Pep is a second generation immigrant who grew up in Birmingham, in reality...

Ancient Of Days

He’d obviously have been the better appointment over Moyes like. At worst the team probably wouldn’t have been quite so gutted.
I don’t blame Fergie for it though. If those in charge only decided to go with who he thought, even when it’s David Moyes, that’s on them. There should’ve been far more preparation for it, and real analysis of what the next manager could bring to the table. There obviously wasn’t.
It's understandable that the board (with their limited football knowledge) decided to place their trust in Fergie who had managed the club and dominated British football for over 25 years.

Saying that it doesn't seem they have learnt their lesson since once again they have taken on another one of his recommendations in hiring the current manager.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
"The biggest mistake Manchester United made with Jose Mourinho was they did not appoint him three years earlier. Or rather, the kingmaker didn't."

"Sir Alex Ferguson's blinkered view on British coaches set United back five years and, just when they were on an upward trajectory under Mourinho in 2018, the Glazer family and Ed Woodward set them back again."

Continue reading here...
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/man-united-news-jose-mourinho-17434825

The atmosphere on Caf is so flat these days. So, may be this thread will shake up things a bit :smirk:
How dare you. Come by the CE forum and see if you think that, still.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
What a garbage article. Really is. No insight whatsoever. What's the point?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
"The bar is low, but Mourinho is comfortably #mufc's finest manager post-Ferguson - and the only one they did not back "

Funny how the excuse "Jose wasn't backed" is used just because he didn't get couple of players he wanted but the same excuse is never used for Van Gaal and Moyes.

Van Gaal wanted Ramos, Muller, Mane, Pedro and few other players we failed to sign.

Moyes wanted Bale, Fabregas, Kroos, Baines and we failed to sign them all. He also wanted to replace RVP/Rooney with pacey forward and we were linked with Cavani at that time.

pacifictheme

Yet to date has still been by far our best manager. 3rd season meltdown aside. After 2 seasons, 2 trophies and a second place finish i am sure most fans were on board the jose bus.