Messi in Miami

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Siging the amigos appeared to have worked. Top of the table now.
They have a couple of games more.

Leaving stats aside, in plain gameplay, "The amigos" has been kind of a 50/50. For moments they work, in others they look like the occasional brainfart machines since 2017 in Barca.
In fact the team against Monterrey looked very similar like against Liverpool in CL, shooting their feet time and again in a very very ridiculous style.

Pickle85

Man, you have your thing for CR too and as a by product you kind of frequently "clash" with Heraklion all over the board too.
I don't have a thing for CR! Quote me where I say anything particularly complimentary about him. I've said for ages I think Messi is the better player...I just get annoyed by weird obsessives (admittedly mostly on the Messi side of the aisle). Heraklion posts about almost nothing other than Messi and frequently resorts to playground level penaldo nonsense. Yes, I find it very irritating.

Joel Miller

I don't have a thing for CR! Quote me where I say anything particularly complimentary about him. I've said for ages I think Messi is the better player...I just get annoyed by weird obsessives (admittedly mostly on the Messi side of the aisle). Heraklion posts about almost nothing other than Messi and frequently resorts to playground level penaldo nonsense. Yes, I find it very irritating.
Yeah you do, you’re at it all the time man! You clearly have an issue with people speaking ill of him.

Last edited:

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
But man, you are going to generate more stuff that irritates you by following that trail.

PD:
Anyway, not trying to generate a conflict, on contraire, but just sharing some views on this whole CR vs Messi thing.
I think that whole yellowish debate started and was more fueled by the Madrid Media, followed by a mix of former Man Utd EPL Poster boy with the typical over the top English Press (many here have been talking about the whole EPL marketing in another thread).
We live in a very Social media world that has impregnated a very profitable antagonism in a very silly and sad way. And BTW I mentioned mostly the Madrid and EPL Media, because they DO IT "RIGHT", not because Barca hasn't any, but they are as fvcked as their own Club when it comes to shooting their own feet and Madrid was always and might remain a lot more clever.

This scenario created the enviroment in which fellas from the traditional press or in Social media found a niche that created them a very profitable bizzness by playing the CR ultra fan and trashing Messi for anything. And this is quite new, more than probably a by product of Social Media and traditional Media mimicking. CR himself adds fuel to the fire from time to time when he throws some shade over Messi or Messi related stuff, in the press or social media, even if both clearly respect each other.

As counter part, the whole "beatification" of Messi's character, also goes beyond normal, once Pele also enjoyed that (maybe even more because of the particular period he played).
Neither of them are that neat, thought obviously less "difficult" than Diego and cia.
As an example I found myself here in this thread sometimes annoyed as how people can't get that this whole MLS thing it's not just relaxing his last years and is also trying to become the "Face of Football in Murica". I also dunno how much Messi realized the level of extreme toxicity the North American press in General has, that clearly got Messi in his Monterrey matches, with the clear help of some Argie players and coach in the Monterrey side that know how to play the game within the game.

PD2: Regarding my feeling that you looked a bit more pro CR, that triggers you a bit more when people goes Ubber Messi fan. It's because you don't have to be annoyingly over the top praising Cristiano, or trashing Messi, but for instance I kind of recall that at times you've got a bit too much bothered by other posters "objectivity" regarding the points some of them made in their prefference towards Messi. I remember some chat with Zehner in the past in some of those "vs" rabbit holes threads, where you actually weren't that "objective" (if anyone can) when analysing the other poster opinion and obviuosly your interactions all over the board with Heraklion, you two are going to end married if this trend follows. Anyway, I can get also that in a fecking United Forum people trashing CR gets even more annoying hence your "admittedly mostly on the Messi side of the aisle".

Hoof the ball

They have a couple of games more.

Leaving stats aside, in plain gameplay, "The amigos" has been kind of a 50/50. For moments they work, in others they look like the occasional brainfart machines since 2017 in Barca.
In fact the team against Monterrey looked very similar like against Liverpool in CL, shooting their feet time and again in a very very ridiculous style.
Yep.

Unless you watch most games, like I do, you'd be forgiven for looking at their position in the table and assuming that means that Inter Miami have a great team.

They aren't. They've got an injury crisis going on right now this season that more than rivals United's, so for them to be where they are is a near miracle when most of the current team are worse than their MLS contemporaries.

Miami are still more or less one of the worst sides in the league without Messi. Even sides with Busquets, Alba and Suarez playing don't look good. Messi carries this side.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Yep.

Unless you watch most games, like I do, you'd be forgiven for looking at their position in the table and assuming that means that Inter Miami have a great team.

They aren't. They've got an injury crisis going on right now this season that more than rivals United's, so for them to be where they are is a near miracle when most of the current team are worse than their MLS contemporaries.

Miami are still more or less one of the worst sides in the league without Messi. Even sides with Busquets, Alba and Suarez playing don't look good. Messi carries this side.
The thing that also happens in this particular Inter Miami case, it's that with Messi helping very little to none in the defensive side and not having that extra march he had when younger, the team when they doesn't capitilize the moments when he provides in terms of assists, or great pasess and such, suffers a lot.
Worse when he ain't the only one that plays measuring his efforts and this is not desirable at all, specially with such a low level defeding and constant bloopers production from the team as a whole, specially the back line.

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool

Those are some highlights of his last game, yet if instead of focusing on him, you focus on those plays were he assists or puts a great ball that ends in absolutely nothing in very favorable situations for the player receiving the ball, you'll get the picture of why Inter still is quite a disfunctinal team.
And this vid obviosuly doesn't include the ammount of bloorpes they produce in their defense.
Inter didn't bought in my view that well to actually reinforce the team and Martino still doesn't found a more solid squeme.