Michael Owen vs Jamie Vardy

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
After Owen criticised Vardy’s finishing it got me thinking, who was/is the better striker?

Michael Owen -
PL appearances - 326
PL goals - 150
PL goals per game 0.46
PL assists - 31
PL golden boots - 1997-98 (18), 1998-99 (18)
PL titles - 2010-11
CL appearances - 12
CL goals - 5

Jamie Vardy -
PL appearances - 231
PL goals - 114
PL goals per game 0.49
PL assists - 34
PL golden boots - 2019-20 (23)
PL titles - 2015-16
CL appearances - 9
CL goals - 2

Vardy can consider himself very unlucky that he comes from an era of lone strikers and wide forwards. If he’d been around during the 4-4-2 days I’m sure he’d have played a lot more for England and maybe played for a top club.

If you combine the first half of Owen’s career and the second half of Vardy’s you’ve got one of the best English strikers ever.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Owen was clearly a level above in his prime. But the hamstring injuries wrecked his career.
I’d say the same thing instinctively but taking the stats into account there’s not as much in it as you’d think. If Vardy had been at his 2015- level early in his career he would almost certainly have gotten a move to a big club and could have smashed goalscoring record.

Owen up until his first major hamstring injury was the closest thing to Ronaldo in those days. Owen of 1999-2005 was a great goalscorer but I’m not sure he was a level above peak Vardy.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Despite the autistic characteristics owen is absolutely different beast on his day.
There is a reason why he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid and Manchester United. No disrespect for Leicester, btw.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Despite the autistic characteristics owen is absolutely different beast on his day.
There is a reason why he played for Liverpool, Real Madrid and Manchester United. No disrespect for Leicester, btw.
Vardy could have played for any of the big sides in recent years

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
United is a bit different. He was a cheap punt as a back up option. Arguably you could say the same for Madrid to be honest. I always found it weird that Newcastle was the best he could do when Madrid sold him. His stock plummeted so fast :(

Again, Vardy’s top level came late in his career. He was almost a reverse of Owen. If he’d had his late career record in his early 20s he’d definitely have ended up playing at a bigger club imo.

SwedishFish

Owen won Ballon D'Or once upon a time, shame he's a complete bellend though.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
People forget how good Owen was before the injuries.

I'm a fan of Vardy but prime Michael Owen was something else.
Prime Owen was amazing but lasted less than two years when you look at it. 1997-1999 he was incredible.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
But what about Owen's brand values vs Vardy's brand values?

OrcaFat

Owen was off the scale brilliant. I remember being terrified of playing Liv because he was more or less unplayable. Did his hamstring at age 18 and was never the same although still forged an impressive career until a year or so before he left for Madrid.

Vardy deserves massive credit for what he’s achieved with a fraction of Owen’s talent. There’s hope for everyone, but most will not truly ask themselves to reach their maximum level. Vardy is an example to be held up for the Martial’s of this world.

Chairman Steve

Michael Owen was by far better. Injuries put the brakes on his career but he was truly a gifted player and a ruthless scorer.

mosschopps

Owen was truly world class in his prime. We should have won the world cup in 2002 with owen and the team we had. Vardy is a very good player but not world class at the highest level.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The only way to truly know who is the better striker is to test Vardy one-on-one against a 13-year-old.

tjb

Owen's balance and agility is what allowed him to use pace effectively. He had the same balance and agility as Salah. Nowhere near the same level

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
If we're talking pure ability then obviously Owen, but Vardy's durability edges it for me.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People forget how good Owen was before the injuries.

I'm a fan of Vardy but prime Michael Owen was something else.
Exactly this.

Someone will do a thread saying is Henderson better than Roy Keane next.

Kag

Am I the only one absolutely amazed that Owen only played 12 games in the Champions League? :houllier:

OrcaFat

I'd take a young Owen over a young Vardy and old Vardy over an old Owen.
That’s absolutely right. Owen had become fairly rubbish even before he left for Madrid, when he got back he was finished.

But I enjoyed having him at the club. It was a fun time when the only way a Liverpool player could win the league was to join Utd.

Oranges038

Owen scored 118 of those goals in his first 216 games. Then he left for Madrid, the accumulation of injuries then took it's toll when he came back and he was never able to reach the same levels.

Owen at his peak was so much better than Vardy.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Nah, he was never that great.
I actually agree. He was just very very fast as a kid. That’s what frightened defenders at the time. You take away his pace (which the injuries essentially did) and there wasn’t much else there. His goal record was solid rather than spectacular.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I actually agree. He was just very very fast as a kid. That’s what frightened defenders at the time. You take away his pace (which the injuries essentially did) and there wasn’t much else there. His goal record was solid rather than spectacular.
Vardy also didn't have the benefit of playing at Liverpool at 18.

RyRoc

I dislike Michael Owen a lot but I think his criticism of Vardy was legit. He said that in some instances he's a natural finisher and in others he's not and gave the example of how when he goes through one on one he usually just smashes it instead of applying a more cultured type of shot. I thought it was a fairly good piece of finishing analysis from someone who was undoubtedly excellent in one vs one situations .

clarkydaz

He had what most england players lack in that he was fearless who he played against. Similar to young Rooney

Gazza

I’d say the same thing instinctively but taking the stats into account there’s not as much in it as you’d think. If Vardy had been at his 2015- level early in his career he would almost certainly have gotten a move to a big club and could have smashed goalscoring record.

Owen up until his first major hamstring injury was the closest thing to Ronaldo in those days. Owen of 1999-2005 was a great goalscorer but I’m not sure he was a level above peak Vardy.
This is why stats need context IMO. It is tight and Vardy has been a legend for Leicester, but Owen for a short while simply petrified defenders. He also performed on the biggest stages for England too.

Tapori

Vardy is dangerously close to being better.
But because he didn't play for Liverpool or Madrid and didn't start as an 18 year old at a World Cup and score THAT goal, he's somehow not in with a shout?
I'm going to say it; He's better as he didn't have that PR Pamphlet about him that Owen made for himself when he couldn't find a club.