Gaming Microsoft buys Zenimax | 9th March: Bethesda games officially joins Microsoft. Unlucky Afro.

Bojan11

Was Out Worlds published by MS though?

Maybe they will. But I think ongoing content for games is going to be what locks people in to gamepass so I imagine that a lot will be offered for free. Halo for example they've said is a platform for the next 10 years right - there will be Destiny like expansions and all will be included with gamepass.

I guess it probably depends on the content.
Nah, it was published by someone else but it’s the same with all the Forza DLC. You get a discount on gamepass.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Nah, it was published by someone else but it’s the same with all the Forza DLC. You get a discount on gamepass.
Fair enough.What type of DLC is it? I am sure up-sells/cross-sells are part of Gamepass plan, but I also think there will be some free expansions to really tie people in. Will vary game to game.

Bojan11

Fair enough.What type of DLC is it? I am sure up-sells/cross-sells are part of Gamepass plan, but I also think there will be some free expansions to really tie people in. Will vary game to game.
New cars and forza lego.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don’t get all this one-upmanship.

Both consoles are good. The majority of people just made a choice and stuck with it as to which platform to use. I have had Xbox and PlayStation. I currently would buy a PlayStation or an Xbox. It’s not that big a deal to be arguing over.

Im not a fan of exclusivity though, I think it’s bad for the average consumer. I’m really excited to play the new Gran Turismo game but I also like Fallout and TES. Now I may have to buy both consoles at great expense because Sony and MS are being petty. What it actually does is turn people off entirely IMO.

I actually think that MS will release TES and Fallout on PS though. Is it any different to MS letting Apple have Office on Mac OS etc.

Alock1

I don’t get all this one-upmanship.

Both consoles are good. The majority of people just made a choice and stuck with it as to which platform to use. I have had Xbox and PlayStation. I currently would buy a PlayStation or an Xbox. It’s not that big a deal to be arguing over.

Im not a fan of exclusivity though, I think it’s bad for the average consumer. I’m really excited to play the new Gran Turismo game but I also like Fallout and TES. Now I may have to buy both consoles at great expense because Sony and MS are being petty. What it actually does is turn people off entirely IMO.
Ish.

For me, many of the best games ever are exclusives, so it's hard to argue against them. The challenge is that there's a really expensive device as a barrier to entry to play that exclusives.

When both are just subscriptions in 5 years time and you can play on whatever device you want, then that problem won't exist and exclusives will be really accessible

Berbaclass

Ish.

For me, many of the best games ever are exclusives, so it's hard to argue against them. The challenge is that there's a really expensive device as a barrier to entry to play that exclusives.

When both are just subscriptions in 5 years time and you can play on whatever device you want, then that problem won't exist and exclusives will be really accessible
Has there ever been a precedent like this where a huge franchise has suddenly been made exclusive to one of the consoles despite being on both for years prior?

Alock1

Has there ever been a precedent like this where a huge franchise has suddenly been made exclusive to one of the consoles despite being on both for years prior?
Well we aren't sure if they definitely will be exclusive or not yet.

Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy and a few others have had timed exclusivity but not sure about total exclusivity. Spiderman I guess? It is very common in TV/films of course with content moving from one service to another but I know they aren't considered the same (because you don't have the real expensive device barrier). But again, in 5 years if it's just moving from Gamepass Sub into PS Sub - it's much less of an issue.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was Out Worlds published by MS though?

Maybe they will. But I think ongoing content for games is going to be what locks people in to gamepass so I imagine that a lot will be offered for free. Halo for example they've said is a platform for the next 10 years right - there will be Destiny like expansions and all will be included with gamepass.

I guess it probably depends on the content.
I'm getting nightmares of numerous paid expansions, microtransactions, loot boxes, grind and dopamine inducing game mechanics in Bethesda games.... Thanks a lot mate I was quiet optimistic about all this a minute ago.

Alock1

I'm getting nightmares of numerous paid expansions, microtransactions, loot boxes, grind and dopamine inducing game mechanics in Bethesda games.... Thanks a lot mate I was quiet optimistic about all this a minute ago.
All that stuff is handled really well on Forza Horizon and Gears of War so I expect the trend to continue. I know which of Sony and MS have been the most pro-consumer when it comes to gaming in recent years so..

Bojan11

Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy and a few others have had timed exclusivity but not sure about total exclusivity. Spiderman I guess? It is very common in TV/films of course with content moving from one service to another but I know they aren't considered the same (because you don't have the real expensive device barrier). But again, in 5 years if it's just moving from Gamepass Sub into PS Sub - it's much less of an issue.
Don’t forget Sony being petty and locking spiderman dlc in the avengers games from Xbox or PC. Then we got this stupid COD alpha exclusivity too.

afrocentricity

All that stuff is handled really well on Forza Horizon and Gears of War so I expect the trend to continue. I know which of Sony and MS have been the most pro-consumer when it comes to gaming in recent years so..
Well if I'm wrong and MS spent 7 odd billion to lock away several franchises that people have been playing on numerous devices for decades.... That's pretty fecking anti-consumer!

Alock1

Don’t forget Sony being petty and locking spiderman dlc in the avengers games from Xbox or PC. Then we got this stupid COD alpha exclusivity too.
That stuff I'm not a fan of.

Timed exclusivity I don't mind too much, nor really beta/alpha. It's more when you pay for the same product but one platform gets more shit than yours does that is annoying (an exclusive character being a great example).

Alock1

Well if I'm wrong and MS spent 7 odd billion to lock away several franchises that people have been playing on numerous devices for decades.... That's pretty fecking anti-consumer!
They'll put them on Gamepass and if Sony will put Gamepass on PS5, then PS5 players can play em.

Alock1

Xbox buying Zenimax is like when BT Sports got Champs League.

afrocentricity

They'll put them on Gamepass and if Sony will put Gamepass on PS5, then PS5 players can play em.
We all know Sony ain't putting no gamepass on PlayStation in the near future. :lol:

Berbaclass

It’s one thing to get back at Sony but another thing to potentially alienate tens of millions of customers and potentially billions in revenue.

Alock1

We all know Sony ain't putting no gamepass on PlayStation in the near future. :lol:
Sony locking you out of a really valuable service like gamepass? Would be a really great thing to do for their consumers.

Alock1

It’s one thing to get back at Sony but another thing to potentially alienate tens of millions of customers and potentially billions in revenue.
As Xbox will have Gamepass open to everybody with a phone, their argument will be nobody is alienated. Anybody with a phone or browser can access gamepass and therefore access the Bethesda games. You don't need an Xbox.

Berbaclass

Exactly it will alienate an awful lot of people. They don’t want that. They want more customers not less.

Bosws87

As Xbox will have Gamepass open to everybody with a phone, their argument will be nobody is alienated. Anybody with a phone or browser can access gamepass and therefore access the Bethesda games. You don't need an Xbox.
Cloud gaming is horrible if you actually play games at any serious level.

Berbaclass

Who wants to play AAA titles on their phone?

afrocentricity

Sony locking you out of a really valuable service like gamepass? Would be a really great thing to do for their consumers.
See EA Play or whatever it was called. I remember us seeing that differently back then too...

Sony make money off PSN sales, EA Play was one thing, but how many games (and potentially lost sales) are on gamepass? Just to get access to several games over the course of the generation?

Sony ain't having that, I get it, it would be nice, but it's not realistic.

Alock1

Cloud gaming is horrible if you actually play games at any serious level.
With every year it gets more and more accessible and is clearly (imo) the future of gaming, it's just a case of when.

With the Bethesda games being mostly single-player and not FPS games then I think it'd be mostly fine for a lot of people by the time it's out. I've been testing xcloud on my phone this week and surprised how good it is. I wouldn't do COD online, but Skyrim's hack and slash? It'd be grand.

Bosws87

It will improve by the time the next elder scrolls is out. So you don’t need to worry.
Of course i'm sure it will be a saving grace if it has save states when i permanently ruin the game with a quest breaking bug :)

Alock1

Who wants to play AAA titles on their phone?
phone, or browser, or a streaming stick (chromecast / firestick type). Whatever device you want. TV apps potentially, issue is getting a controller working with them.

Alock1

See EA Play or whatever it was called. I remember us seeing that differently back then too...

Sony make money off PSN sales, EA Play was one thing, but how many games (and potentially lost sales) are on gamepass? Just to get access to several games over the course of the generation?

No no I know, I was being sarcy. PS will never put Gamepass, it'd be suicidal. That they didn't put EA Access/Play on though I thought was ridiculous personally and clearly just to protect their own revenues.

Bosws87

With every year it gets more and more accessible and is clearly (imo) the future of gaming, it's just a case of when.

With the Bethesda games being mostly single-player and not FPS games then I think it'd be mostly fine for a lot of people by the time it's out. I've been testing xcloud on my phone this week and surprised how good it is. I wouldn't do COD online, but Skyrim's hack and slash? It'd be grand.
Once again depends at what level you game at, i'm not interested in your 30fps 4k gaming.

Alock1

The switch is equally adept at being a handheld device as it is on the TV though. It’s not comparable to the PS or Xbox
You've picked up on the phone point but the wider point was that any device that has an internet connection will be able to play it. Phone, tablet, laptop, PC, TV. AR headset, chip in your eye, whatever.

Bojan11

Sony have EA play.

And it isn’t really good on PSN compared to Xbox because all the dead space, mass effect, skate, fight night, Black and some of the older battlefield games are on Xbox due to BC, whilst they not on PSN.

Plus all of EA sports titles release on there about 8 months after being released, by then they are dead and new one is about to come out.

Berbaclass

You've picked up on the phone point but the wider point was that any device that has an internet connection will be able to play it. Phone, tablet, laptop, PC, TV. AR headset, chip in your eye, whatever.
We’re not living in Ready Player One just yet mate.

I’m talking about games released within the upcoming consoles cycles. Cloud gaming just isn’t there yet. You’re probably right it will be in the future of course.

There’s at least 5-10 years before they do away with the actual consoles entirely. Until that happens you have to pick one if you’re not lucky enough to be able to afford both, like most probably aren’t, and you’re essentially going to be punished because you can only get one.

Alock1

I do, i'm just stating cloud gaming is not the pinnacle you seem to believe to everyone.
When did I say that? :lol:

I think it'll be the future. Could be 5 years, could be 10. Could be more for certain parts of the world based on infrastructure.

My point was that Microsoft will argue that they are opening these games up to anybody with an internet connection so increasing accessibility, not alienating millions of people.

Alock1

Sony have EA play.

And it isn’t really good on PSN compared to Xbox because all the dead space, mass effect, skate, fight night, Black and some of the older battlefield games are on Xbox due to BC, whilst they not on PSN.

Plus all of EA sports titles release on there about 8 months after being released, by then they are dead and new one is about to come out.
They do now but they didn't for years.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
When did I say that? :lol:

I think it'll be the future. Could be 5 years, could be 10. Could be more for certain parts of the world based on infrastructure.

My point was that Microsoft will argue that they are opening these games up to anybody with an internet connection so increasing accessibility, not alienating millions of people.
Yeah I don’t doubt cloud gaming is the future. U.K. is way behind though because our infrastructure is crap.

Combine Stadia with gamepass and you’d be onto a winner.