Television Midnight Mass (Netflix)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It was just about decent. A bit slow and rambling with too few actual noteworthy moments.

It’s from the same director who made ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ which I much preferred.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I really enjoyed the story (more than Bly and Hill House and any rate - which both got very squirrely toward the end) and the slow reveal of what genre this actually was…and up until ep5 at least I felt the structure of each episode was good (particularly 3&4) but the pacing was an issue, and the endless monologues where really trying, and made each ep at least 15 minutes longer than they needed to be (most of them were over an hour long, which is too long really) .. and then when it all kicked off in the last 2 eps, they became really silly, as people right in the middle of a dangerous chaotic situation we’re now just stopping to listen to other characters monologue for 5 minutes here and there…

Also there was some really obvious bad make up issues that essentially gave away an important plot development right from the start… though I guess that kind of thing is always going to be tough to pull off.

The priest actor was fantastic, though as a character his….

redemption didnt really land… he’s basically fully responsible for all of this, but then just gets a bit sad and mopey in the last act, and rather than try and actually stop the Mrs Carmody character from taking over the cult, just kinda sulks and mutters to himself whilst standing around listening to her monologue… like, this flock would obviously still listen to you over her mate, maybe do something? No, oh okay…. I’d have rather he just go full blown villain than whatever they tried here

You can really tell Mike Flanagan is a Stephen King obsessive, as this is about 3 or 4 prominent King books smashed together, complete with the rampant overwriting. I liked it though

Last edited:

pascell

Thought the first few episodes were good but you could figure out what was going on pretty easily and the episodes I thought were long winded.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I really enjoyed the story (more than Bly and Hill House and any rate - which both got very squirrely toward the end) and the slow reveal of what genre this actually was…and up until ep5 at least I felt the structure of each episode was really strong (particularly 3&4) but the pacing was an issue, and the endless monologues where really trying, and made each ep at least 15 minutes longer than they needed to be (most of them were over an hour long, which is too long really) .. and then when it all kicked off in the last 2 eps, they became really silly, as people right in the middle of a dangerous chaotic situation we’re now just stopping to listen to other characters monologue for 5 minutes here and there…

Also there was some really obvious bad make up issues that essentially gave away an important plot development right from the start… though I guess that kind of thing is always going to be tough.

The priest actor was fantastic, though as a character his….

redemption didnt really land… he’s basically fully responsible for all of this, but then just gets a bit sad and mopey in the last act, and rather than try and actually stop the Mrs Carmody character from taking over the cult, just kind sulks and mutters to himself whilst standing around listening to her monologue… like, this flock would obviously still listen to you over her mate, maybe do something? No, oh okay…. I’d have rather he just go full blown villain than whatever they tried here

You can really tell Mike Flanagan is a Steven King obsessive, as this is about 3 or 4 prominent King books smashed together, complete with the rampant overwriting. I liked it though
Yeah, I haven’t read all his books but I thought I picked up strong Stephen King vibes.

One of my beefs may sound odd but it was the jump scares and the sounds accompanying them. They had me checking my damned volume settings with their shrill attacks on my ears, which is odd given Hill House was noted for having the ghosts unannounced in the background.

It was decent in the end, and worth a watch.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
@Mockney the makeup for old ‘Mildred’ was dreadful :lol:
Literally all you’re thinking from about the middle of ep1 is “oh, so all these people are going to get younger then, I guess?”which then naturally telegraphs a lot of other stuff that I assume were meant to be twists…. Also Mildred is even worse for just standing around pointlessly in the final episode.. I think she might have like 2 lines, despite being essentially the only person willing to do anything to stop shit in the previous episode (apart from the wobbly accented Sheriff)

Yeah, I haven’t read all his books but I thought I picked up strong Stephen King vibes.
He also directed the film adaptations of Doctor Sleep and Gerland’s Game, which are pretty good as King adaptations go.

He indulges way too much in long flowery dialogue, but he’s got a really good sense of atmosphere

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The old lady acting was atrocious too.

Overall I thought it was decent, but agree it did another King trope and got stupid towards the end with the big reveals both predictable and boring.

I liked the nasty god squad woman for most of it, but even her I think was written as plainly as that kind of character can be. All in all it was very safe, but did have great atmosphere throughout.