Milk Cup 2010 - 26th July

datura

JENNINGS AND MAGILTON MAKE THE DRAW

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has proved he is a man of his word.

Last year in Belfast he promised to send a team from White Hart Lane to contest the Milk Cup tournament after making the draw.

Northern Ireland legend Pat Jennings revealed Redknapp had delivered for the organisers of the top youth football tournament.

Former Spurs and Arsenal keeper Jennings said: “Harry was so impressed with the high standard of the competition that he pledged to see Spurs return and I’m pleased he has been able to keep that promise.”

Jennings, who made a record 119 appearances for Northern Ireland, is still involved with Spurs as a goalkeeping coach and is pleased to see them return. In the past England striker Peter Crouch and Ledley King both competed at the event and Spurs were winners in 1990.

Six of the current Tottenham squad played at the competition. Aaron Lennon appeared with Leeds United and Gareth Bale featured with the Wales national team. Jermaine Defoe and Jonathan Woodgate also cut their teeth at the tournament.

This summer Spurs latest batch of hopefuls will compete in the Premier event alongside holders Manchester United and Chelsea. They kick off with a game against Co. Londonderry before meeting Belgian newcomers KV Mechelen.

Also taking part in the July event will be Japan’s national Under-20 side while J League champions Kashima Antlers will compete in the Junior competition.

Jennings said: “The Milk Cup retains its reputation for attracting top international competitors. That is a credit to the organisers who refuse to rest on their laurels.

“The line up for 2010 is exceptional and ensures that the competition maintains its position as one of the leading youth tournaments anywhere in the world.

Another former Northern Ireland star, Jim Magilton, helped Jennings make the draw. The ex-Ipswich Town and QPR manager played at the tournament in 1985 with Ulster youth club outfit Star of the Sea.

He said: “It was the first major competition I ever played in and it was a memorable experience for me. You learn so much about yourself and your ability competing in a tournament like the Milk Cup, coming up against some of the best players in the world at your age group.

“When I was manager of Ipswich I was happy to send a team to the tournament because it is so important in the development of young players.”

The tournament kicks off on Monday, July 26, following a parade of the 54 competing teams through Coleraine the previous day.

The draw for the opening two days is as follows:

JUNIOR

Monday - Swindon Town v Cruz Azul; Everton v FC Puebla; Chelsea v South Coast Bayern; Club Marcet v Co. Londonderry; Dundalk Schoolboys v Co. Antrim; Queen of the South v Co. Armagh; Vaag FK v Hapoel Haifa; Kashima Antlers v Aspire; Spartak Moscow v Hapoel Beersheba; Plymouth Argyle v Co. Tyrone; Watford v Co. Down; Brentford v Co. Fermanagh.

Tuesday – Co. Londonderry v Swindon Town; Co. Antrim v Everton; Co. Armagh v Chelsea; Cruz Azul v Club Marcet; FC Puebla v Dundalk Schoolboys; South Coast Bayern v Queen of the South; Hapoel Haifa v Plymouth Argyle; Aspire v Watford; Hapoel Beersheba v Brentford; Co. Tyrone v Vaag FK; Co. Down v Kashima Antlers; Co. Fermanagh v Spartak Moscow.

PREMIER

Monday, July 26 – Tottenham Hotspur v Co. Londonderry; Sheffield Utd v Co. Armagh; Manchester Utd v Co. Tyrone; Shamrock Rovers v KV Mechelen; Cherry Orchard v Etoile Lusitana; Queen of the South v Aspire. FC Porto v Club Marcet; South Coast Bayern v Saint Augustin; Deportivo v Cruz Azul; Belvedere v Co. Fermanagh; Donegal Schoolboys v Co. Antrim; Hartlepool v Co. Down.

Tuesday, July 27 – KV Mechelen v Tottenham Hotspur; Etoile Lusitana v Sheffield Utd; Aspire v Manchester Utd; Co. Londonderry v Shamrock Rovers; Co. Armagh v Cherry Orchard; Co. Tyrone v Queen of the South; Club Marcet v Belvedere; Saint Augustin v Donegal Schools; Cruz Azul v Hartlepool Utd; Co. Fermanagh v FC Porto; Co. Antrim v South Coast Bayern; Co. Down v Deportivo Brazil.

ELITE

Monday, July 26 – Northern Ireland v Mexico; USA v China; Japan v Denmark.

Wednesday, July 28 - Mexico v Japan; China v Northern Ireland; Denmark v USA.

PS18

It's a shame the U17 field seems to get weaker every year (in theory anyway). Spurs look like the main competition there.

lysglimt

Scout
It's a shame the U17 field seems to get weaker every year (in theory anyway). Spurs look like the main competition there.
Thats true - but there are 4-5 sides which in theory should be decent. But I wonder how many players we have picked up mainly due to this tournament - both McCullough and Coll have played in it the last couple of years. And I dare say that this is one of the main reasons why we have so many northern Irish players in our squads

PS18

He is, yeah. It's an U17 tournament, players have to have been under the age of 17 on 1/1/10.

PS18

Half a dozen of the provisional squad have turned pro - it's all about age,.

cj_sparky

Don't we usually have a few trialists with us when we play at the milk cup. Wasn't there a sub keeper and striker Ngoo on trial last summer.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Thats true - but there are 4-5 sides which in theory should be decent. But I wonder how many players we have picked up mainly due to this tournament - both McCullough and Coll have played in it the last couple of years. And I dare say that this is one of the main reasons why we have so many northern Irish players in our squads
We have been looking at McCullough for a long time so the NIMC wasn't where we saw him first.

Coll I don't know about.

lysglimt

Scout
We have been looking at McCullough for a long time so the NIMC wasn't where we saw him first.

Coll I don't know about.
You could be right - but I still believe we have so many Northern Irish players because of the milk cup. First of all because we spot quite a few while playing there and maybe even more because we probably have quite a decent network because of the tournament

Maybe I am naive but I just sense that its easier to recommend a player to United when they are giving so much back to the footballing community in Northern Ireland by participating there every year.

Not to mention that the players who play United or watch United every year probably get more tempted to choose us because they get to know many of the players

But I could be wrong - it has happened before, once or twice :)

cj_sparky

Are we still still affiliated with Desportivo Brasil? As they are taking part again this year in Group B.

Also we are live on the bbc milk cup website or via the bbc red button on Tuesday 27th July Premier Section: Manchester United v Aspire 6.50pm.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
You could be right - but I still believe we have so many Northern Irish players because of the milk cup. First of all because we spot quite a few while playing there and maybe even more because we probably have quite a decent network because of the tournament

Maybe I am naive but I just sense that its easier to recommend a player to United when they are giving so much back to the footballing community in Northern Ireland by participating there every year.

Not to mention that the players who play United or watch United every year probably get more tempted to choose us because they get to know many of the players

But I could be wrong - it has happened before, once or twice :)
We have really good scouts in NI and also a Centre of Excellence.

I think what happens is that these kids play for the COE and also come across and play in our U/14, U/15 and U/16 sides. They are then very often selected for Ireland Schools and obviously represent their County.

That is when the NIMC kicks in.

Obviously you are right in that there will be kids who slip through the net or are late developers and our first sighting of them is at the NIMC and it goes from there.

But NI is a very small community and everyone in Schools football knows everyone else. So when the NIMC comes along, our scouts know all the lads.

Conor Devlin as an example, was nailed on to come to United years ago based on the scouts reports and trials at Carrington. His NI representative involvement just verified what we already new.

Chris Curran was an exception and he came out of left field because he started playing football relatively late.

Crerand Legend

First match Monday at 6.00pm in Ballymena Showgrounds v CO Tyrone, divided loyalities for RHD although on this occasion I feel he will side with United. Handy for me as I live about 20 mins from the showgrounds

lysglimt

Scout
First match Monday at 6.00pm in Ballymena Showgrounds v CO Tyrone, divided loyalities for RHD although on this occasion I feel he will side with United. Handy for me as I live about 20 mins from the showgrounds
Do you know if BBC will show any of the games online as they did last season ?

jb8521

According to the milk cup website this is uniteds squad
1 Liam Jacob
2 Bradley Anderson
3 Luke Giverin
4 Michele Fornaisier
5 Sean McGinty
6 Thomas Thorpe
7 Thomas Lawrence
8 Larnell Cole
9 John Cofie
10 William Keane
11 Etzaz Hussain
12 Michael Keane
13 Joseph Coll
14 Jack Barmby
15 Donald Love
16 Charni Ekangamene
17 Tyler Blackett
18 Luke Hendrie

so no Pogba, Massacci or Johnstone

lysglimt

Scout
According to the milk cup website this is uniteds squad
1 Liam Jacob
2 Bradley Anderson
3 Luke Giverin
4 Michele Fornaisier
5 Sean McGinty
6 Thomas Thorpe
7 Thomas Lawrence
8 Larnell Cole
9 John Cofie
10 William Keane
11 Etzaz Hussain
12 Michael Keane
13 Joseph Coll
14 Jack Barmby
15 Donald Love
16 Charni Ekangamene
17 Tyler Blackett
18 Luke Hendrie

so no Pogba, Massacci or Johnstone
United won the first game 4-0 - great start for us

datura

Excellent start for the squad. Good to see Cofie carrying on his goalscoring form from the end of last season.

Does anyone know about Bradley Anderson or Donald Love? Both new names to me.

cj_sparky

Was thinking Pogba was heavily strapped up when he played in the U17's match against England a month or so ago that may be why he is missing.

Good first result though considering some of the youth players who are missing.

datura

Live coverage of United v Aspire from 6.50pm on the red button on BBC or streamed via the Milk Cup site on the BBC website.

They seemed to have higlights on the red button of yesterday's games, but I only caught the end of the NI match v Mexico, not sure if United were on before. Nothing up on the website as yet though.

cj_sparky

Michael Keane seems to have shot up a bit from when I see him this time last year...

cj_sparky

Hussein playing well, he is quite underated compared to the likes of Morrison, Tunnicliffe and Pogba etc.

ANWAR

Hussein playing well, he is quite underated compared to the likes of Morrison, Tunnicliffe and Pogba etc.
He's quite a tidy little player, seems to have shot up a bit from last year.

I'm quite impressed with our midfield, Lawerence looks quite skilfull as well

datura

0-0 HT

Decent enough half, despite few chances created. United have become more dominant throughout the half, but Aspire have defended well and look dangerous on the break and at set-pieces.

Hussain is running the game, Lawrence has looked promising and they are struggling to cope with Cofie.