Milwall will be Millwall: fans boo players for taking a knee

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Some things never change.

Millwall fans, allowed in the stadium for the first time in 8 months, decide to boo their own players for taking a knee against racism :

UmbroDays

Thse Twitter comments.....

I’m sure there are many of similarly minded people at our club though.

Do Milkwall have any Black or Asian players? Wonder how they felt.

Racism is tiring man! All the stuff that was happening in the US in summer, then in London. It was mentally tiring. I don’t even like this thread as I fear what I would read. Just going to post and ignore. Thanks for bringing it up though OP.

RUCK4444

Why can’t Millwall just disappear into obscurity altogether, shit club, racist fans, just an absolute disgrace.

SirMarcusRashford

Would have happened at many grounds if fans were allowed back in, if it wasn't for the pandemic booing whilst players are taking a knee would be a regular thing in football unfortunately.

Like booing during a minutes silence when someone’s died and how grounds had to adapt this to 1 minute’s applause instead, I think it's best to change the whole 'taking a knee' thing now to be honest and show support against racism another way, personally i feel the whole 'taking a knee' is past it's whole meaning/message now anyway, but maybe that's a whole new subject.

Last edited:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
A bit off topic
But how long are the clubs going to do the Knee thing before kickoffs?

RyRoc

Unfortunately I thought there might be a few boos or whistles once fans were allowed back in but my god , that is some of the loudest and sustained booing I’ve ever seen inside a stadium. How sad.

Kajus

Is there... Is there any particular reasoning behind this? I mean are they trying to show that they're pro-racism, or is this something more specific, i.e. they're against players making any non-football related statements for example? This former seems.. weird.

RORY65

Is there... Is there any particular reasoning behind this? I mean are they trying to show that they're pro-racism, or is this something more specific, i.e. they're against players making any non-football related statements for example? This former seems.. weird.
It's Millwall. When we moved to South London I remember going to a Millwall game (I was 8 or 9) and I've still never heard anything like the racist abuse Jermaine Defoe (who was on fire on loan at Bournemouth at the time) got that day and that was less than 20 years ago. A significant chunk (not all, some have done a lot of good in trying to improve the club's image and support the local community) of their fanbase revel in being cnuts.

TrustInOle

A bit off topic
Hopefully for the foreseeable future, I have no problem with it. Blows my mind we are in 2020 and racial discrimination is a thing still. :houllier:

90 + 5min

I'm not sure that taking a knee is good idea. I'm not fan of it. It is just symbolic. The FA should do lot more than that to make stand for diversity in every way possible. And with more I mean giving back (money) lot to community and other organisations for education. But the most important thing is outside football. Government and rules.

That said, booing this, is just idiotic and stupid. People hate to much and there will always be those. It just puts club in bad position.

Trequarista10

Some people don't like the blm organization itself. Not looking to get into that debate, it's just a statement of fact. However, in my experience that tends to be more people into the whole conspiracy/alt-right politics type realm... Like, more socially awkward middle class kids who spend too much time on the Internet going down unpleasant rabbit holes... I can't imagine the average Millwall fan fitting that description so I would guess its not that. I would guess its not "pro racism" either but some kind of "this is soft shit/not our problem/don't give a damn" kind of attitude.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hopefully for the foreseeable future, I have no problem with it. Blows my mind we are in 2020 and racial discrimination is a thing still. :houllier:
Is it going to fix it though? Or at this point are people just doing it because if you don't you'll be perceived as racist. I wish there was more transparency about whats actually going on, even within the game.

Feel like we might be lulled in false sense of feeling that the problem is being solved as everyone is taking a knee.

Withnail

If it's not for BLM then what is it for?
The references to BLM have been removed/replaced by 'No Room for Racism' in the PL and 'Not Today or Any Day' in Championship etc.

The English Football League (EFL) CEO David Baldwin has recently revealed that all players in the Championship, League One and League Two will wear a logo on their shirts with the words 'Not Today or Any Day' this season, in recognition of their ongoing anti-racism initiative.

I believe they didn't want to be affiliated with a political movement, so it's a general anti-racism message.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Some people don't like the blm organization itself. Not looking to get into that debate, it's just a statement of fact. However, in my experience that tends to be more people into the whole conspiracy/alt-right politics type realm... Like, more socially awkward middle class kids who spend too much time on the Internet going down unpleasant rabbit holes... I can't imagine the average Millwall fan fitting that description so I would guess its not that. I would guess its not "pro racism" either but some kind of "this is soft shit/not our problem/don't give a damn" kind of attitude.
It's nothing to do with the organisation. Footballers taking the knee blatantly just represents a stance against racial discrimination. I cannot fathom somebody without deeper rooted agendas not seeing this - the BLM organisation is serving simply as an excuse for people to criticise the stance football has taken, i.e. one in favour of inclusivity.

DickDastardly

A bit off topic
Not actually off topic, i was wondering myself how long will this go on for.

Is BLM still a thing in the USA?
Biden won, right?

I don't have any issues with the kneeling thing, it just looks a bit, i don't know, Hollywood?
Reminds me of the wakanda crossed arms crap that went on for a while.

I'm sure there are better ways of fighting racism then that, like giving 5% of all the Premiership Tv rights to funding education, or, i don't know, giving 5% of your salary for the same cause.

This is an easy way out, look at me, i'm kneeling with my fist but actually i really don't give a feck.

Withnail

Not actually off topic, i was wondering myself how long will this go on for.

Is BLM still a thing in the USA?
Biden won, right?

I don't have any issues with the kneeling thing, it just looks a bit, i don't know, Hollywood?
Reminds me of the wakanda crossed arms crap that went on for a while.

I'm sure there are better ways of fighting racism then that, like giving 5% of all the Premiership Tv rights to funding education, or, i don't know, giving 5% of your salary for the same cause.

This is an easy way out, look at me, i'm kneeling with my fist but actually i really don't give a feck.
It was the players that wanted to do it so I presume it will be for the players to decide when to stop.