Mini Derby round 3

Tribec

So we are playing City for the 3rd time this year at this level, and let's hope tonights game goes the same way as the previous 2 games.

I will make a prediction for tonights game, and that is this....

IT'S GOING TO BE BLOODY COLD AT EWEN'S FIELD TONIGHT.....

Wrap up well if you are thinking of going and haven't been before. Me thinks a flask of something hot to drink is in order.

PS18

taking a vaguely waterproof jacket might be an idea as well, it's barely stopped all day so far.

no team news on the official site yet. not sure why i'm surprised, they seem to be on a go-slow this week (or they've simply forgotten about the reserve/U18 teams), they've still not added any kind of match report about the U18 fixture on saturdau.

Red17

Kuszczak, Park, Smith & Richardson is starting in this reserve derby.

Team:
Kuszczak, Gray, Cathcart, Lea, Rose, Park, K.Lee, Richardson, Barnes, Burns, Smith.
Subs: Heaton, ??

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Yes it was cold!!!

Yes it pissed down all night!!!

Yes we won 2-0 and played well!!

Team: Kuszczak, Gray, Rose, Lea, Cathcart, Lee, Park, Richardson, Smith, Burns, Barnes

Subs: S. Evans (11), Heaton, Mullan (7), Marsh, N'Galula

Scorers: Richardson, Smith

Attendance 425

Tribec

United and City have been told to put the kits worn tonight into a freezer unit, so that they can be sent down south to ease the water shortage. I think the Pacific just got a bit smaller with all the rain we had up there tonight.

Whilst it was great to see United win, and Smudger to get a great goal, I think credit to both teams for playing as well as they did in those conditions. I wonder how close to calling the game off the ref came?

Talking of the ref, he had a great game tonight, it's the third or forth time I've seen him ref the reserves and he plays it fair. I think he needs a promotion to the Football League to be honest, and let's hope he continues to do as well there.

Tribec

noodlehair said:
Why has Alan Smith got socks on his arms?
I think it was one of those Nike sport vest things, but one with full arms. I have to say apart from the rain and the wind, it was cold as normal up there and for some of those guys to wear short sleeves was crazy. I guess our soft Tyke just can't take the cold.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
He looked a lot better than of recent......much sharper...and his goal was great!

Why was Burn's goal disallowed?
The ball was in the air when he kicked it.....
All he got for his time and trouble was a yellow card.........

Did you go, Tribec?

Bobby Charlton stayed the whole game while Stuart Pearce left early......:lol:

Tribec

Man Utd Mrs said:
He looked a lot better than of recent......much sharper...and his goal was great!

Why was Burn's goal disallowed?
The ball was in the air when he kicked it.....
All he got for his time and trouble was a yellow card.........

Did you go, Tribec?

Bobby Charlton stayed the whole game while Stuart Pearce left early......:lol:
Got there a little late, due to work and mother, but hey it was worth the trip. I must say that I thought I parked my car in the Swimming pool's car park and not the swimming pool itself. That rain was awful, but hey when I use to play sports more often that was the sort of weather I loved playing in.

As for the Burns goal, that could have been given as obstruction or ungentlemanly conduct. I think the rule itself is obstruction, the rule being that he raised his foot, had the keeper kicked the ball and he done nothing and it hit him and rolled in the goal stands. There is a very fine line on that sort of thing. I know UEFA and FIFA have put pressure on the ref's to punish offenders who obstruct the keeper in such ways.

Pearce had seen enough and if you recall the last mini derby he stayed in the box for most of the second half. As for Sir Bobby, it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't on some sort of watching brief for SAF. He's done it before, and he'll do it again.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
I got pissed wet through...:(
I took my hot water bottle,complete with red and white cover, in my bag. :D
I was waiting to be searched because I also had a massive flask with me that could have been mistaken for a deadly weapon. :D

It's great to beat City,isn't it! ................at any level!

The Kippax Kid

Smashed's number 1 fan and the caf's little blue a
MANCHESTER CITY FC. the pride of manchester.
Teams:

United: Tomas Kuszczak, David Gray, Danny Rose, Michael Lea, Craig Cathcart, Kieran Lee, Ji-sung Park (Jamie Mullan 46), Kieran Richardson, Alan Smith, Aaron Burns, Michael Barnes (Sean Evans 77)

Unused subs: Tom Heaton, Phil Marsh, Floribert Ngalula

City: Joe Hart, Shaleum Logan (Curtis Obeng 76), Sam Williamson, Nathan D'Laryea, Matt Mills, Paul Marshall, Kelvin Etuhu, Marc Laird, Ched Evans, Ashley Grimes (Karl Moore 65), Ashley Williams

Unused subs: Laurence Matthewson, Ben Mee, David Ball

Goals: 1-0 (Richardson 45), 2-0 (Smith 57)

Bookings:

United: Rose (12), Smith (60)

City: Williams (44), Laird (40)

A re-taken free kick by Keiran Richardson and an opportunistic strike by Alan Smith were the difference on a wet and windy night in Hyde for this reserves derby. City had looked good prior to the opening goal, and United's keeper kept the Blues out with some fine saves as City made a good attempt to salvage something after Smith had doubled the lead just before the hour.

The Match

United named a strong side, with Alan Smith continuing his comeback from his broken leg alongside Kieran Richardson and Ji-sung Park.

Conditions were due to be difficult for both sides, with heavy rain being blown down the pitch by a strong wind.

The weather dictated the few chances created early on, with a couple of United shots flying a long way over Hart’s bar thanks to the wind, and at the other end Kuszczak was able to slide in to intercept a pair of City through balls inside his area.

United’s Polish keeper had to be on his toes on 26 minutes when he plucked a looping Grimes header out from just under his crossbar.

City had the best of the possession for the rest of the half, frustrating the hosts with their three experienced internationals, but then on the stroke of half time United took the lead.

The Reds were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area, which the referee had retaken for encroachment by Ashley Williams. Keiran Richardson had blasted his first attempt at the wall, but at the second time of asking he curled the ball over the wall and into the bottom left hand corner of Hart’s net.

City could count themselves unlucky to go into the break one-down.

The Blues chased the game after the resumption, with Kelvin Etuhu driving a stinging shot straight at Kuszczak who blocked it with his legs.

But United doubled the lead on 57 minutes when Joe Hart mis-hit a clearance from the edge of his box, with the ball going straight to Smith around 35 yards out. The former Leeds man looked up and chipped the ball over the retreating City keeper and into the bottom corner of the net.

The one-time England striker picked up a booking three minutes later for kicking the ball out of Hart’s hands and into the net.

City’s young keeper did well to keep the score at 2-0 on 70 minutes, diving at Burns’ feet to deflect his shot over the bar.

Karl Moore, on as a substitute, crossed to Ched Evans with 10 minutes left, and the Welsh striker brought a fine save from Kuszczak, flying away to his left.

Smith went close again on 82, Laird clearing his shot from a tight angle off the line by the post. It was Laird who had a chance of his own at the other end shortly after, Kuszczak denying City again with another good block, but that was the last chance of the night, which had seen the Blues undone by two fine strikes from the most experienced of their opponents. United’s keeper, Kuszczak, had kept City at bay with some fine saves in the second half.

that is the report from our official site

we had a very young team out tonght. no excuses though, they have to learn united are the enemy :)

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
That report was written by the tit that sat behind me.
What a tool HE was!
:)

whinging non stop and without a single ounce of humour,which as everyone knows is a must for a football supporter.

I was there,KK ...it wasn't exactly as written.

Smith didn't get a card for kicking the ball out of the goalies hands...that was Burns.

The Kippax Kid

Smashed's number 1 fan and the caf's little blue a
MANCHESTER CITY FC. the pride of manchester.
Man Utd Mrs said:
That report was written by the tit that sat behind me.
What a tool HE was!
:)

whinging non stop and without a single ounce of humour,which as everyone knows is a must for a football supporter.

I was there,KK ...it wasn't exactly as written.

Smith didn't get a card for kicking the ball out of the goalies hands...that was Burns.
i know you always go MUM , i posted that to show the bias in reports.

i have PMd you :)

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
United's Reserves beat Manchester City in their final game of 2006 thanks to goals from Kieran Richardson and Alan Smith, while long-term absentee Ji-sung Park added gloss to the evening by completing 45 minutes of action.

The Korean winger, out of action since early September after damaging ankle ligaments, looked lively in tricky, saturated conditions and showed no ill effects before being withdrawn at half time.

Park, Smith and Richardson were part of a strong side named by Brian McClair and Jim Ryan, with Tomasz Kuszczak replacing Tom Heaton in goal.

The monsoon-style conditions did little to aid the flow of the game in the opening minutes as both sides were restricted to half-chances in a slow start.

City's Ched Evans flashed a header just wide of Kuszczak's post after 11 minutes, while Smith had a close-range effort deflected over shortly afterwards following Richardson's quick free-kick.

Richardson moved United into the lead in first-half injury time with a beautiful curling free-kick from the edge of the area, a moment of class totally out of keeping with the rest of a bitty, needle-filled first half.

Shocked into life by the Reds' opener, City started the second half well on top, and Kuszczak needed to be alert to save Kelvin Etuhu's swerving strike with his feet.

Despite being on the back foot for the opening five minutes of the half, United soon found their rhythm again and doubled their advantage as Smith scored his first goal since returning from injury.

Aaron Burns pressured City keeper Joe Hart into a hashed clearance, and Smith arced a fine lob into the unguarded goal with the outside of his foot from over 25 yards to effectively bury the game.

Smith was a whisker away from getting onto a great Michael Barnes cross, while Hart made a superb save to deny Aaron Burns from close range as United continued to forge the better openings.

Kieran Lee sent a long-range effort into Hart's arms, and the Blues stopper flung himself to his left to keep out Jamie Mullan's speculative effort as time ticked away.

Kuszczak produced a fine reaction stop to turn Evans' 20-yard drive over the bar with five minutes remaining, and pulled off another close-range stop from the same player but that was City's final threat.

United held on to notch their third win of the season over their local rivals, pointing the way for Sir Alex Ferguson's first team ahead of Saturday's senior derby at Old Trafford.

That's ours.....

;)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Hi MUM and KK.......

Also went to the match as usual......game as reported......boy I needed a stiff whisky/brandy to warm me up......had one before the game but the rain was a mare............

More security than fans......which is a shame....

Even the police started telling the United fans not to give barracking to the City keeper.........

The world is becoming so PC it drives me nuts!

If any of you fancy a Christmas drink......i'm happy to buy!!!

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Hiya Tony,
I must admit that the keeper got lots of stick! :D
Nowt to do with the police though.........It's all part and parcel of football.
Maybe the coppers were Scousers? ;)

425 wasn't too bad an attendance when you saw the weather.

Does it rain more at Ewen Fields than anywhere else in the world,or what?

:lol:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I mean, why would anyone want to have yellow hair, and wear socks on their hands?