Miscellaneous Reserve/Youth News

pascell

Hopefully he will never play for the 18s again. The 19s & 23s are where he needs to be.
I agree but it's concerning that he's not at least getting game time for the u18s. I'm not sure if he's still suffering the effects from his injury but he's not played consistent football for a while, having only played 6 games this season, three of those in the UEFA Youth League.

Beaucoup

Looks like the U14s had been strengthen a lot over the summer? I'm a bit lost about who they have right now.
Definitely an age group they're trying to strengthen, 3-4 new player have come in, not sure where from, think Shola also played today. On another note, the 12's were class today, streamrolled City.

Prodigal7

Definitely an age group they're trying to strengthen, 3-4 new player have come in, not sure where from, think Shola also played today. On another note, the 12's were class today, streamrolled City.
Very very encouraging to see how we've improved so fast. How highly rated is the kid Sonny Pickup from Huddersfield U12s that joined?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Indian/sikh name? What is his nationality?
I'd imagine one of his parents is Indian, but noticed that one of the highest rated lads, alongside Rocco Fragapane who signed later, on trial from Huddersfield Town was Raj Mahmood, an England u16 International.

Find it hard to believe if there were 12/14 lads on trial there was a Rajdeep, and a Raj, maybe it's the same lad, and he's signed using a different surname.

spenzo

Been hearing promising things about that age group for a couple of years now, seems like they're quite well thought of? Do you know if it is just a strong all round group or is there some special individual talent in the side?

JASR

Official Redcafe Union Rep for City Posters Rights
Supports
City
I've a kid who plays in an u9's league. The coaches actively encourage them to ignore the score and concentrate on developing skills instead. Seems absolutely crazy that fans of football clubs would pay any attention to results involving kids that young.
The post I was replying to asked about u10’s. And other kids. I replied. Are you going to have a dig at them as well?

Regarding actual score, I didn’t know it was across four games. Shrugs.

Regarding playing well, rather than scoreline, yep. City have decided (iirc) to take that approach at even higher levels, u17+ because it’s useless battering teams with silly scores, they learn nothing. I presume we are playing to win in the youth champions league though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The post I was replying to asked about u10’s. And other kids. I replied. Are you going to have a dig at them as well?

Regarding actual score, I didn’t know it was across four games. Shrugs.

Regarding playing well, rather than scoreline, yep. City have decided (iirc) to take that approach at even higher levels, u17+ because it’s useless battering teams with silly scores, they learn nothing. I presume we are playing to win in the youth champions league though.
Didn't see that post (as you didn't quote it) but yeah, my criticism would apply to anyone interested in results involving kids that young. I'm sure they didn't used to be publicised? Presume they're being shared and discussed because of twitter?

Bigsid

Under ten's was two games. United won one, City won one. Same in the under elevens. We don't create structure in the under 9s and formation like other clubs which is why the gap narrows. If you wanna apply logic to kids football scores. We lost 9s, 10s was even, 11s similar, 12s won, 13s lost, 14s drew. Not a huge difference.

For a more comprehensive view of youth academy football this is perhaps worth a read?

https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit

Reactions: Mciahel Goodman

Prodigal7

Under ten's was two games. United won one, City won one. Same in the under elevens. We don't create structure in the under 9s and formation like other clubs which is why the gap narrows. If you wanna apply logic to kids football scores. We lost 9s, 10s was even, 11s similar, 12s won, 13s lost, 14s drew. Not a huge difference.

For a more comprehensive view of youth academy football this is perhaps worth a read?

https://www.trainingground.guru/articles/academy-audit
A semi-decent guide to productivity but irrelevant for now, as it measures pros that would be in their mid twenties now. It is lagging by about 10 years so using those metrics we'd have to wait until 2027 to see the current quality of our academy compared to our peers. If you look at the number of (for example) Chelsea players from the last 3 or 4 years playing competitively for clubs like Vitesse (which are at least championship level), compared to us, then I think these figures would change a lot.

Last edited:

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I'd imagine one of his parents is Indian, but noticed that one of the highest rated lads, alongside Rocco Fragapane who signed later, on trial from Huddersfield Town was Raj Mahmood, an England u16 International.

Find it hard to believe if there were 12/14 lads on trial there was a Rajdeep, and a Raj, maybe it's the same lad, and he's signed using a different surname.
Dont think so, mahmood is a muslim name and wont be associated with a sikh, Raj is a hindu name again(maybe one parent is muslim and another hindu here), Rajdeep is a sikh name that can be used by hindus but never by muslims, either there are two players or the name is different. Anyways it doesnt matter, i just got excited for seeing an indian name among united youth's. That is great.

Beaucoup

Been hearing promising things about that age group for a couple of years now, seems like they're quite well thought of? Do you know if it is just a strong all round group or is there some special individual talent in the side?
Bit of both, strong overall group, but 2-3 kids that are very highly rated by the club