MMM (Mason, Marcus, Martial) = BBC (Bale, Benzema, Cristiano)

I don't think the guy who was comparing Rashford and Mata's creativity was talking about Mata from 7 years ago when he played for a different team though.
That's what I asked him to clarify. Obviously a 32 year old on the decline isnt going to be as good as a 22 year old approaching his peak.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Sancho will improve us further. We do need more options in the attack.
But 4 outstanding attacking players is better than 3?
Sancho will displace one of the three and the chemistry might not be the same. A smarter investment will be to sign an upcoming, young hungry talent similar to foden or Kubo to provide support to these three and an experienced striker. Then strengthen other areas of the team if Sancho will cost £100m.

We will still have four or even 5 outstanding attackers if the right investment is made.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Sancho will displace one of the three and the chemistry might not be the same. A smarter investment will be to sign an upcoming, young hungry talent similar to foden or Kubo to provide support to these three and an experienced striker. Then strengthen other areas of the team if Sancho will cost £100m.

We will still have four or even 5 outstanding attackers if the right investment is made.
I feel like Sancho could be an upcoming, young, hungry talent?

Amadaeus

sancho is already world class. He will always play when fit. Unlike someone like Kubo who would provide great competition
and wouldn’t mess up MMM chemistry. Plus, we will be able to afford a backup striker as well, as we will need one if we aren’t renewing igahalo contract. It makes more sense this way, than signing Sancho for a starting position for £100m in a position we are strong in already. If Sancho would cost £50/£70m and wouldn’t mind playing support to MMM then it would make more sense. But signing a £100m player to play on the bench will make us look a lot like a galactico club and surely breach some ffp as I doubt Sancho will be our only signing.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
sancho is already world class. He will always play when fit. Unlike someone like Kubo who would provide great competition
and wouldn’t mess up MMM chemistry. Plus, we will be able to afford a backup striker as well, as we will need one if we aren’t renewing igahalo contract. It makes more sense this way, than signing Sancho for a starting position for £100m in a position we are strong in already. If Sancho would cost £50/£70m and wouldn’t mind playing support to MMM then it would make more sense. But signing a £100m player to play on the bench will make us look a lot like a galactico club and surely breach some ffp as I doubt Sancho will be our only signing.
So save the money and get a player that won’t take minutes away from Greenwood, Martial and Rashford and use the money saved to buy a backup striker.

Sure buddy.

Amadaeus

So save the money and get a player that won’t take minutes away from Greenwood, Martial and Rashford and use the money saved to buy a backup striker.

Sure buddy.
No invest in the squad that needs strengthen rather than sign players in a position we are already strong in. Looking at our squad, if Igahlo leaves, we will need to strengthen our backup striker, our backup right attack position and depending how much you rate Linderlof, a backup centerback or starting centerback. Surprised this isn’t too obvious. But I guess team chemistry and morale isn’t something a lot of fans think about

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
No invest in the squad that needs strengthen rather than sign players in a position we are already strong in. Looking at our squad, if Igahlo leaves, we will need to strengthen our backup striker, our backup right attack position and depending how much you rate Linderlof, a backup centerback or starting centerback. Surprised this isn’t too obvious. But I guess team chemistry and morale isn’t something a lot of fans think about
We need a creative right winger. Stevie Wonder could tell you that. Greenwood will eventually be a striker, Stevie Wonder’s mother could tell you that. Signing one of the best creative right forwards in the world and letting Greenwood share minutes across the front line next season is probably the most obvious thing we could do in the transfer market.

Amadaeus

We need a creative right winger. Stevie Wonder could tell you that. Greenwood will eventually be a striker, Stevie Wonder’s mother could tell you that. Signing one of the best creative right forwards in the world and letting Greenwood share minutes across the front line next season is probably the most obvious thing we could do in the transfer market.
Greenwood doesn’t need to share minutes. His form shows that he is ready to start consistently. His stats at his age is equivalent to the likes of best, Rooney, and other similar young players who started of their career at a similar age and became world class because of that.

We don’t *need* a creative winger to displace our inverted attacking wide player. I don’t know how you think that is something obvious when we are doing so well now without one. Can you explain that? What we need is a creative backup winger as I mentioned in addition to the other players we need to improve our team.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
58 goals this season. Our front 3 aren't the problem anymore.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Anyone failing to understand this need to have their internet connection taken away permanently.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Getting Sancho gives us options. Unfair to expect Greenwood to be consistent enough at 18. Martial is 25(?) and has only recently started to find consistency. Rashford is 22 and still developing.

I'm thinking that if we play Sancho-Martial-Greenwood, Sancho would take the creative inverted winger role that Rashford is currently playing, while Martial and Greenwood try to score the goals. Or if we play Rashford-Martial-Sancho, we can have Rashford back in the inside forward role while Sancho creates from the right. Can also be Greenwood up top and either Rashford or Martial on the left.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Getting Sancho gives us options. Unfair to expect Greenwood to be consistent enough at 18. Martial is 25(?) and has only recently started to find consistency. Rashford is 22 and still developing.

I'm thinking that if we play Sancho-Martial-Greenwood, Sancho would take the creative inverted winger role that Rashford is currently playing, while Martial and Greenwood try to score the goals. Or if we play Rashford-Martial-Sancho, we can have Rashford back in the inside forward role while Sancho creates from the right. Can also be Greenwood up top and either Rashford or Martial on the left.
Martial is 24. I've seen a lot of people on the Caf going on about him being 25 for some reasons. Rashford turns 23 before Martial turns 25.

RazorOz

Greenwood doesn’t need to share minutes. His form shows that he is ready to start consistently. His stats at his age is equivalent to the likes of best, Rooney, and other similar young players who started of their career at a similar age and became world class because of that.

We don’t *need* a creative winger to displace our inverted attacking wide player. I don’t know how you think that is something obvious when we are doing so well now without one. Can you explain that? What we need is a creative backup winger as I mentioned in addition to the other players we need to improve our team.
When does buying players to be backup ever work? Buy players good enough to start and force their ways into the team and the bench will naturally strengthen. Buy backups and we will just end up with more of the same where the bench is too crap to change a game for the better.

The front 3 still needs improving as it's not as good as our competition. Greenwood is playing RW out of necessity, not because it's his position, most of his good in the games actually comes through the middle. You are asking a huge amount to expect Greenwood to carry the mantle there across a season at 18. I cannot understand the reluctance to add more quality, we're meant to compete with the absolute bare bones? We have no chance over the season like that.

Amadaeus

58 goals this season. Our front 3 aren't the problem anymore.
Exactly. We have a more potent attack than Liverpool title winning team, yet people thinks our attack is the problem. One of the problems is not having a world class manager, and another that is squad related is having quality option on bench. Which is why I m stating the need to look at quality players that are ok warming the bench and giving our attack competition for their place. Kubo, Raul Jiminez, Adama Traore, Grelish, Havertz(if under £60m), Osihmen, Trincao, are just a few names that will improve our depth in quality in the attack without disturbing our chemistry.

When does buying players to be backup ever work? Buy players good enough to start and force their ways into the team and the bench will naturally strengthen. Buy backups and we will just end up with more of the same where the bench is too crap to change a game for the better.

The front 3 still needs improving as it's not as good as our competition. Greenwood is playing RW out of necessity, not because it's his position, most of his good in the games actually comes through the middle. You are asking a huge amount to expect Greenwood to carry the mantle there across a season at 18. I cannot understand the reluctance to add more quality, we're meant to compete with the absolute bare bones? We have no chance over the season like that.
They are only backup in name. If they are good enough, that can start ahead of our main starting eleven.

In Rainbows

Exactly. We have a more potent attack than Liverpool title winning team, yet people thinks our attack is the problem. One of the problems is not having a world class manager, and another that is squad related is having quality option on bench. Which is why I m stating the need to look at quality players that are ok warming the bench and giving our attack competition for their place. Kubo, Raul Jiminez, Adama Traore, Grelish, Havertz(if under £60m), Osihmen, Trincao, are just a few names that will improve our depth in quality in the attack without disturbing our chemistry.

They are only backup in name. If they are good enough, that can start ahead of our main starting eleven.
Why is it impossible to improve on our front 3 and why is it inevitable Sancho will ruin chemistry?

RazorOz

There's way more to having a better front 3 than just pure goal numbers though. No-one would actually take our front 3 over Liverpool's at this point in time.

Of the players you list though they are either so raw to the point they aren't good enough or would cost an absolute fortune for a back up, many of them aren't going to come full stop to play second fiddle either. Adding players doesn't have to disturb chemistry at all either. Look at Man City and their strength in positions, doesn't really affect their chemistry does it?

Amadaeus

Why is it impossible to improve on our front 3 and why is it inevitable Sancho will ruin chemistry?
Why do we need to improve a front three that is one of the best in football and doesn’t need improvement by your definition? Sancho will ruin the chemistry because he will be always play when fit and disrupt the consistent selection of mmm.

There's way more to having a better front 3 than just pure goal numbers though. No-one would actually take our front 3 over Liverpool's at this point in time.

Of the players you list though they are either so raw to the point they aren't good enough or would cost an absolute fortune for a back up, many of them aren't going to come full stop to play second fiddle either. Adding players doesn't have to disturb chemistry at all either. Look at Man City and their strength in positions, doesn't really affect their chemistry does it?
I would take MMM over Salah, Firmino and Mane. MMM has better output and are still developing. They can only get better with better coaching. All the players I listed are good enough to provide competition and all of them will cost less than Sancho.The players I mentioned will give us attacking quality as deep as Man City. You just don’t go buy world class players and add them to your team and think things will get better. Some coaching is involved in developing those players which is more important than just buying world class players.

In Rainbows

Why do we need to improve a front three that is one of the best in football and doesn’t need improvement by your definition? Sancho will ruin the chemistry because he will be always play when fit and disrupt the consistent selection of mmm.

I would take MMM over Salah, Firmino and Mane. MMM has better output and are still developing. They can only get better with better coaching. All the players I listed are good enough to provide competition and all of them will cost less than Sancho.The players I mentioned will give us attacking quality as deep as Man City. You just don’t go buy world class players and add them to your team and think things will get better. Some coaching is involved in developing those players which is more important than just buying world class players.
The players you mentioned would not give us quality as deep as City for the simple fact that you think any player on the level of Rashford, Martial, or Greenwood is a threat to their playing time. That's your reason for not wanting Sancho. You purposely do not want players on their level. City on the other hand have Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, and did have Sane, but are selling him and possibly replacing him with Ferran Torres. If you exclude the younger Torress, you could make a case for Aguero, Sterling, Mahrez, and Silva all being of a certain similar quality. Jesus would be more of the quality that you used for the other talents at least in the short term.

I'm going to be upfront, we're not going to be as deep as City even with Sancho. That's 6 players deep for the front 3 spots. You used goals to evaluate MMM compared to Liverpool's (ignoring past seasons).

Aguero - 23 goals, 4 assists
Jesus - 20 goals, 13 assists
Sterling - 27 goals, 8 assists
Mahrez - 12 goals, 16 assists
Silva - 8 goals, 10 assists

vs

Martial - 21 goals, 8 assists
Rashford - 21 goals, 10 assists
Greenwood - 16 goals, 5 assists
James - 4 goals, 7 assists

Replacing James with Traore, or using a youngster like Kubo isn't going to fight back against City's combined front 3. Players like Havertz would be in the same position as Sancho is. Havertz wants to start just as much as Sancho would want to. Would he not be ruining chemistry of Bruno+Pogba or the front 3? Same situation. His price and quality would be similar to Sancho (not in price), but overall factors that lead to the same playing time.

And why would Sancho play every match (55 matches)? He only started about 36 matches this season for Dortmund and it's technically possible to give all 4 players, 36 starts each. That's without taking Bruno's position into account and solely looking at the front 3.

Although I concede to City in terms of depth, I do not want to concede to them quality and potential. If we don't compete by next season, that's fine by me. Having Sancho at the age of 21, Greenwood at the age of 20, Rashford at the age of 24, and Martial aged 25/26 would be a great foundation to outlast City's depth where in Aguero is 33. I also wouldn't bet against Sancho and Greenwood. Sancho putting up those numbers with his technical ability is quite frightening seeing as he's just had his age 19 season, Bundesliga or not. He has the potential to outdo all of City's players, and Greenwood has the ability to outscore all of City's players given time.

Apart from that, I would rather not let any other English club snap up Sancho. You don't want to go up against a talent of his caliber for 10 years. For all this talk of Liverpool's age, Sancho would be the perfect get for them to replace one of them and pair him up with Harvey Elliot (a similar player to 17 yo Sancho and CHO).

Last edited:

Caesar2290

People who keep harping on that Player X is going to lose minutes if we sign Player Y just need to look at our game tonight.

Greenwood shouldn't have even started. If he's having an off game, who do you sub him with? James, Mata. We are Manchester United. We play a lot of games, so we need a lot of options.

What happens if one of our front 3 gets injured, while the other one is struggling to find his form? It's insane to think that people have already forgotten that Martial was injured just a couple of months ago and Rashford looked like he couldn't score to save his life.

I think we are actually 2 good signings away from being sorted in attack for the next 5-7 years. We need a ST and a RW.

This is why Sancho is such a priority. If Greenwood gets injured, do we go back to playing Mata as a RW or do we stick with James.

Also we need a ST in the Haaland, Kane or Lewandowski's mould. Someone who is also a really good header of the ball so he can provide us with a different attacking dimension.

The way I see it our front 3 could look like this.

RW - Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford
LW- Rashford, Martial, Sancho
CF- Martial, new CF, Greenwood, Rashford

As a sidenote: Martial looks pretty beastly on the left. His last few goals have been from that side, just like his debut season.

Amadaeus

The players you mentioned would not give us quality as deep as City for the simple fact that you think any player on the level of Rashford, Martial, or Greenwood is a threat to their playing time. That's your reason for not wanting Sancho. You purposely do not want players on their level. City on the other hand have Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, and did have Sane, but are selling him and possibly replacing him with Ferran Torres. If you exclude the younger Torress, you could make a case for Aguero, Sterling, Mahrez, and Silva all being of a certain similar quality. Jesus would be more of the quality that you used for the other talents at least in the short term.

I'm going to be upfront, we're not going to be as deep as City even with Sancho. That's 6 players deep for the front 3 spots. You used goals to evaluate MMM compared to Liverpool's (ignoring past seasons).

Aguero - 23 goals, 4 assists
Jesus - 20 goals, 13 assists
Sterling - 27 goals, 8 assists
Mahrez - 12 goals, 16 assists
Silva - 8 goals, 10 assists

vs

Martial - 21 goals, 8 assists
Rashford - 21 goals, 10 assists
Greenwood - 16 goals, 5 assists
James - 4 goals, 7 assists

Replacing James with Traore, or using a youngster like Kubo isn't going to fight back against City's combined front 3. Players like Havertz would be in the same position as Sancho is. Havertz wants to start just as much as Sancho would want to. Would he not be ruining chemistry of Bruno+Pogba or the front 3? Same situation. His price and quality would be similar to Sancho (not in price), but overall factors that lead to the same playing time.

And why would Sancho play every match (55 matches)? He only started about 36 matches this season for Dortmund and it's technically possible to give all 4 players, 36 starts each. That's without taking Bruno's position into account and solely looking at the front 3.

Although I concede to City in terms of depth, I do not want to concede to them quality and potential. If we don't compete by next season, that's fine by me. Having Sancho at the age of 21, Greenwood at the age of 20, Rashford at the age of 24, and Martial aged 25/26 would be a great foundation to outlast City's depth where in Aguero is 33. I also wouldn't bet against Sancho and Greenwood. Sancho putting up those numbers with his technical ability is quite frightening seeing as he's just had his age 19 season, Bundesliga or not. He has the potential to outdo all of City's players, and Greenwood has the ability to outscore all of City's players given time.

Apart from that, I would rather not let any other English club snap up Sancho. You don't want to go up against a talent of his caliber for 10 years. For all this talk of Liverpool's age, Sancho would be the perfect get for them to replace one of them and pair him up with Harvey Elliot (a similar player to 17 yo Sancho and CHO).
I understand the lure of getting Sancho. He is a world class talent. However, we are in a unique scenario where we have one of the most deadliest attacking trio in football. Their combine output is nearly similar to Cities starting attacking trio. With more experience, MMM will easily eclipse that, so the problem isn’t, MMM, the problem is the lack of quality below them. Which is why our investment should be towards bringing in quality backup to play under them, not to replace them. The difference between my argument and yours is simple. You want to replace one of MMM with S. While I want to keep MMM, but strengthen our depth with multiple addition with the players I listed.

The players I listed are also good enough to challenge for a starting position and in a few years time a lot of the younger ones will have a price tag as big as Sancho. An attacking option of:

Matic
Bruno - Pogba
Mason - Martial - Rashford
+
Fred - Mctominay
Kubo(£25m) Or Traore - Grelish(£45m) - James/Chong
Jimenez (£50m) or Oshimen

Would give us better depth than just signing Sancho for £120m.Unless we have over £200m to spend, but I doubt our board would give us anymore as we have been spending a lotperhaps more than any other club in football over the past few years.
City when building their squad, they didn’t sign world class players to sit on the bench. Jesus, sane, Mahrez(similar to the wolves players), where young prospects or established professionals. I m suggesting a similar formula, to that rather than the Real Madrid throw money at world class players formula.

CG1010

The amazing thing about having quality three and Bruno is that even if two players are off game, other two can pick it up. And these players can score from attacking and counter attacking play

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
The amazing thing about having quality three and Bruno is that even if two players are off game, other two can pick it up. And these players can score from attacking and counter attacking play
That's what the best United sides were like - someone would always step up. We're close to having that again, and signing Sancho would seal the deal.

RazorOz

Not only is Kubo raw as anything who it's way too early to expect to do a job, he's at Real Madrid, he won't be available anyway. Indeed that's the problem with your list of players, 2 of them are at Real Madrid/Barcelona so won't be available, players like Jimenez and Traore will cost like £70m+ which just isn't an efficient way of spending money. Havertz would be a similar price, and he's not going to come to play second fiddle anyway given he will have lots of options.

In what world would we be signing Sancho for the bench, he would start 100%, he's better than what we have, this concept of MMM at all costs just makes us sound small time, we are actually trying to win things, not finish 4th every season. We really aren't strong in Sancho's position at all given we don't even have a RW, just shoehorning players into said position. Sancho's versatility would also mean he could effectively play in any one of 3 positions, none of which we have any real effective cover in.

Chemistry doesn't get ruined by increasing quality and depth. If that were true Man City would have no chemistry at all. Incidentally you mention City in a later post, they didn't buy players for the bench, but they bought players as part of a squad. Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne, David Silva none of them were bought to sit on the bench but you are never going to start with all of them. We would be doing the exact same thing with Sancho.

Last edited:

Amadaeus

Not only is Kubo raw as anything who it's way too early to expect to do a job, he's at Real Madrid, he won't be available anyway. Indeed that's the problem with your list of players, 2 of them are at Real Madrid/Barcelona so won't be available, players like Jimenez and Traore will cost like £70m+ which just isn't an efficient way of spending money. Havertz would be a similar price, and he's not going to come to play second fiddle anyway given he will have lots of options.

In what world would we be signing Sancho for the bench, he would start 100%, he's better than what we have, this concept of MMM at all costs just makes us sound small time, we are actually trying to win things, not finish 4th every season. We really aren't strong in Sancho's position at all given we don't even have a RW, just shoehorning players into said position. Sancho's versatility would also mean he could effectively play in any one of 3 positions, none of which we have any real effective cover in.

Chemistry doesn't get ruined by increasing quality and depth. If that were true Man City would have no chemistry at all. Incidentally you mention City in a later post, they didn't buy players for the bench, but they bought players as part of a squad. Sterling, Sane, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, De Bruyne, David Silva none of them were bought to sit on the bench but you are never going to start with all of them. We would be doing the exact same thing with Sancho.
Kubo is ready and he is as talented as Greenwood and Foden. He would provide great cover for Greenwood who showed once again why we don’t need Sancho. What we need is better quality back to MMM. If Sancho wants to play on bench and won’t blow all our budget, then I m all in. But those two things aren’t going to happen. As such, what I stated is more better for United. Jimenez won’t cost that much, he is 29 and we can offer him better wages to entice him. Our squad need more than just Sancho. we need a few quality backup players like Kubo, Grelish and Jimenez to make our attacking depth stronger, while building on the most prominent attack in football MMM. We have been spending crazy money over the past few seasons. I would be surprised if we spend even bigger this summer without getting into trouble with ffp.
I mean look at that chemistry between M & M. Sancho not needed.

Last edited:

MalcolmTucker

Kubo is ready and he is as talented as Greenwood and Foden. He would provide great cover for Greenwood who showed once again why we don’t need Sancho. What we need is better quality back to MMM. If Sancho wants to play on bench and won’t blow all our budget, then I m all in. But those two things aren’t going to happen. As such, what I stated is more better for United. Jimenez won’t cost that much, he is 29 and we can offer him better wages to entice him. Our squad need more than just Sancho. we need a few quality backup players like Kubo, Grelish and Jimenez to make our attacking depth stronger, while building on the most prominent attack in football MMM. We have been spending crazy money over the past few seasons. I would be surprised if we spend even bigger this summer without getting into trouble with ffp.
I mean look at that chemistry between M & M. Sancho not needed.
Offering Jimenez better wages isn't going to make Wolves sell him for cheap is it? They aren't poor and he's their top scorer. It'll take £45m at the very very least to get him, probably a lot more.

Buying back-up players from the premier league is daft at this point unless the player is not wanted at that club or he's out of contract. Stop living out your FM fantasies on this board.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Nah Greenwood will play that role. Sancho will be the first name on our team sheet, and rightly so. We will start the season with Rashford + Martial + Sancho, which is a threatening front 3, with a bit of everything. Greenwood will be ready on the bench and play a super subs role for us, in the 70 mins, to replace our tired legs up front. Or he will sometimes start our easier games, and replace our tired legs, or when someone is injured. His new role will be similar to Fred and Mctominay in the team. Long season ahead, really. In few years time, he may challenge Martial for starting lineup, but it really depends on how he develops.

Last edited:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
All this chemistry talk with Sancho, isn't he good mates with Rashford and others? I don't see how bringing in a top young english talent would ruin chemistry at all. We need depth and quality depth at that. Injuries can and will happen.

RazorOz

In terms of now Kubo is much rawer, besides how do you plan to get Kubo out of Real Madrid to come sit on the bench? It's not going to happen. Wolves paid like £34m for Jimenez just last summer, they are under no obligation to sell, it will cost way more than you are hinting at to sign him. Offering higher wages just makes it even more costly, especially when you are saying it's for a backup, so we're what, offering 200k a week to someone to sit on the bench, that's just terrible business.

The way you are bigging up MMM is way overboard, they are good with potential, you are talking like they are better than a front 3 that won multiple Champions Leagues. They aren't better than Liverpool or City's options.