Television Mo (Netflix)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Palestinian - American comedian Mo Amer has his own Netflix show where he plays the titular ‘Mo’. He’s caught between two cultures, and seeking asylum in the US.

I’m midway through this and I’m really enjoying it. It’s not a comedy show per se that I thought it would be (it’s more akin to say…Master of None in terms of style), but it’s very watchable.

First couple of episodes are a bit hit and miss but it gets into the swing of things by the 3rd. It’s great to see Arab - Palestinian culture shown so authentically on screen, and it’s a show made with a lot of heart. Worth checking out.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Watched 1st episode. Entertaining though the dialogue is a tad choppy. But there is a good premise to it.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Palestinian - American comedian Mo Amer has his own Netflix show where he plays the titular ‘Mo’. He’s caught between two cultures, and seeking asylum in the US.

I’m midway through this and I’m really enjoying it. It’s not a comedy show per se that I thought it would be (it’s more akin to say…Master of None in terms of style), but it’s very watchable.

First couple of episodes are a bit hit and miss but it gets into the swing of things by the 3rd. It’s great to see Arab - Palestinian culture shown so authentically on screen, and it’s a show made with a lot of heart. Worth checking out.
Yes, just finished it. Really enjoyable show.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Finished this last night - very enjoyable. Here’s hoping for a second season!

Also after watching one of his comedy specials, this is basically a biography of his life give or take.

Dave_MUFC

This sounds like an almost identical narrative to the show Ramy that came out a few years ago, except it was about someone who was an American born Egyptian, and was struggling between the two cultures.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
This sounds like an almost identical narrative to the show Ramy that came out a few years ago, except it was about someone who was an American born Egyptian, and was struggling between the two cultures.
Ramy Youssef is actually a co-creator of this show.

Dave_MUFC

Ramy Youssef is actually a co-creator of this show.
Ah, so it's sort of like a continuation on a different character. I'll check it out.

The only thing about Ramy that irked me, is that it really started out great, with him fighting between his roots and getting with american girls, drinking etc. But later episodes seemed to really push an agenda of Islam to the viewer. No issues with the religion specifically, but I would rather have they tried to let the viewer make their mind up on religion.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Small spoiler for the show but I'm shocked to know that you have to pay for your own medical bills if you are a victim of an attack. How does that make sense.

Decent show until now.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
As an Arab I can't stomache shows like these, my main issue is they try to show their experience as the experience of the general populace of immigrant Arabs, and it gets stereotypes going, and these stereotypes get generalized to other brown people of different regions, when in reality even in the Arab world the culture is so diverse and different from region to region.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I think it's very enjoyable. It's more accessible than Ramy, in my opinion. It's the Seinfeld to Ramy's Curb. Both are worth a watch.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
As an Arab I can't stomache shows like these, my main issue is they try to show their experience as the experience of the general populace of immigrant Arabs, and it gets stereotypes going, and these stereotypes get generalized to other brown people of different regions, when in reality even in the Arab world the culture is so diverse and different from region to region.
What? You cant speak Spanish?