Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
Salah and VvD was the only players who didn't celebrate with the fans after todays match. Salah left the pitch a minute or so after the game. No reports on a minor injury either. To me it looks like this can actually happen as early as this transfer window.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What an amazing assist if that's his last significant touch in a Liverpool shirt.
Surely no-one genuinely thinks Liverpool are going to ship their main player days before the end of the window?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
A bit arrogant of some in here to expect an Arab footballer to prefer Merseyside to the Middle East. Especially when you factor religion and raising his kids.

Liverpool are a europa league level team at the moment. Why would any sane person turndown $100m per year to play against the 3rd best team in Bulgaria.

Also, Al-Ittihad are in the Club World Cup this December, hosted in Saudi Arabia. Big pressure. They need him now.

Next year the offer will be Mane money. This year it will be Benzema money.

Liverpool will expect him to forgo $100m to play one more season for them to challenge for top 4.

I cant see it.
Salah is Egyptian, not Arab.

arnie_ni

I know he's their best player but saying no to 150odd mil will be extremely hard

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
Egypt is considered an Arab country...

Relations between Egypt and Saudi Arabia have been on the rise since 2013 and are now considered good, but Salah might not prefer the Saudi Arabian way of life anyways as it is stricter than the Egyptian, in general. I would bet Salah will end up in Saudi Arabia sooner or later though and my guess is that his personal preference is now rather than next year, if that's his two options.

Latest rumours is that a bid of €100m + €50m is being prepared.

Last edited:

Plastic Evra

There's a fascinating debate about how we define and label different cultures but assuredly he'd be closer to his home country.

ROFLUTION

Salah and VvD was the only players who didn't celebrate with the fans after todays match. Salah left the pitch a minute or so after the game. No reports on a minor injury either. To me it looks like this can actually happen as early as this transfer window.
I was also quite surprised how he didnt react at all to Darwin equalizing. Looked like he couldnt care less to be honest.

Cantonagotmehere

Wow, that's seems surprising from him. I don't mind your squad getting hit (haha), but to be honest I hope he stays with Pool, hate to see the Saudis get such a great player.

jadaba

To be honest that should be quietly reassuring for Liverpool. Liverpool’s next game is after the window closes, so if he had gone over to the fans and applauded them with emotions in his eyes then you should be concerned. Otherwise surely he wouldn’t leave the Liverpool stage with such a blunt non-farewell?

We need an rvn

Im pretty sure Egypt is Arab. Turkey and Iran arent though.
It's a google minefield...

Wikipedia says " The Egyptians are not Arabs, and both they and the Arabs are aware of this fact. They are Arabic-speaking, and they are Muslim—indeed religion plays a greater part in their lives than it does in those either of the Syrians. One story says the Egyptian people are part of the Arab nation and speak Egyptian Arabic and are Islamic.

BBC says " Although Egypt sits in the north of the African continent it is considered by many to be a Middle Eastern country, partly because the main spoken language there is Egyptian Arabic, the main religion is Islam and it is a member of the Arab League. "

I think it's safe to say one fact is it's on the north east side of Africa and he'll be playing football in Saudi soon!!!

Spoony

The People's President
It's a google minefield...

Wikipedia says " The Egyptians are not Arabs, and both they and the Arabs are aware of this fact. They are Arabic-speaking, and they are Muslim—indeed religion plays a greater part in their lives than it does in those either of the Syrians. One story says the Egyptian people are part of the Arab nation and speak Egyptian Arabic and are Islamic.

BBC says " Although Egypt sits in the north of the African continent it is considered by many to be a Middle Eastern country, partly because the main spoken language there is Egyptian Arabic, the main religion is Islam and it is a member of the Arab League. "

I think it's safe to say one fact is it's on the north east side of Africa and he'll be playing football in Saudi soon!!!

They're Arabised like most of North Africa.

Maureen-yo

Wouldn’t that more signify that he’s staying? He wouldn’t knowingly play his last away game and not applaud the fans etc?

HappyCamper

Supports
Liverpool
To be honest that should be quietly reassuring for Liverpool. Liverpool’s next game is after the window closes, so if he had gone over to the fans and applauded them with emotions in his eyes then you should be concerned. Otherwise surely he wouldn’t leave the Liverpool stage with such a blunt non-farewell?
Wouldn’t that more signify that he’s staying? He wouldn’t knowingly play his last away game and not applaud the fans etc?
I don’t know but it kinda reminds me of when Alisson scored “that goal” and everyone celebrated like crazy except Wijnaldum who was nose-picking because he was angry with the club. Salah is known for being a crybaby in random spots with no real logic attached to his feelings though so who knows. He might be grumpy because Trent wouldn’t let him take a freekick in first half or something stupid but my best guess is that the club is rejecting his move this season, effectivly forcing Salahs hand to either wait for a season while running around in Finland and Romania every other thursday, or to become really unpopular with the fans by handing in a transfer-request a couple of days before deadline.
If that’s the case doing a lap of aplause after the match wouldn’t do much difference anyway and being angry would be his normal response.

That being said, Liverpool won’t sell unless there is someone lined up as a replacement and the price is more than right. I also believe that Salah won’t hand in any transfer-request before Liverpools valuation is met and the “deal is done”.

Last edited:

Kellyiom

Im pretty sure Egypt is Arab. Turkey and Iran arent though.
Correct. Although it can be confusing, like in Palestine the majority are Arab and Muslim but you can be Arab and be Christian or Jewish or atheist.

Likewise Egyptian is a nationality so there will be Christians living there like Copts. What a world!

MegadrivePerson

Doesn't seem like there's any real truth in the rumours that he's leaving anytime soon.

I'm a golf fan and it feels like Saudi Arabia are doing the exact same thing they did with LIV Golf. They'd start saying that one of the top players was on the verge of joining them despite the player denying it. I can see Liverpool cashing in on him next summer but I think they'd risk the wrath of the fanbase if they sold him now with virtually no time to find a replacement.

It will be telling if they sign another attacker in January because that's effectively how they replaced Mane with Diaz and Firmino with Gakpo.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Any discussion on modern identities needs to recognize that most people/nations/state incorporate multiple, overlapping sources of identity, and their understanding of these sources of identity are fluid, subject to change over time and depending on circumstances, and will often differ in ways from others belonging to the same category (even in this thread it seems to me that some are thinking of Arabism in racial terms, some in cultural terms, and some in political terms). It’s not at all impossible, but it seems unlikely to me that Salah is one of those Egyptians who explicitly rejects the Arab component of modern Egyptian identity.

One hundred years ago it would have been rare to find anyone thinking of Egypt or Egyptians in terms of an Arab identity. Western scholars, accustomed at that time to thinking in racial terms, tended to speak of “Arabs” in terms of what they viewed as the “pure-blooded” tribes of the Arabian Peninsula and their brethren in greater Syria and Iraq. With the growth of Arab nationalism from the late 19th c., the idea had been transformed among the peoples of the region from signifying the Bedouin and fellahin (peasantry) into an elitist political identity embracing all the Arabic speakers of those same lands (it was of course rejected by some of those Arabic speakers, most notably the Maronites of Mount Lebanon).

However during the interwar years the idea underwent change. Influenced by the apparent success of German and Italian nation-building, the theorist of pan-Arab nationalism Sati al-Husri proposed a much broader definition based on language and history, arguing that “Every Arab-speaking people is an Arab people. Every individual belonging to one of these Arabic-speaking peoples is an Arab.” The proposed pan-Arab state would thus spread from the Atlantic to the Persian Gulf.

In these years this idea began to impact in Egypt as greater connectivity with her neighbors and the internationalization of the Palestine question increasingly persuaded Egyptian people that they shared a common heritage and destiny with other Arabic-speaking peoples. As a result, Egypt was a founding member of the Arab League in 1945. Throughout, however, a distinct Egyptian identity remained, drawing primarily on Egypt’s pre-Arab/pre-Islamic Pharaonic heritage, and especially attracted members of the Coptic community but also secular intellectuals.

Following the Free Officers Revolution of 1952, President Nasser’s ideological manifesto The Philosophy of the Revolution placed Egypt in three overlapping circles of international activity - the Arab, the Islamic, and the African circles. He stressed that the Arab circle had the priority, and the years during which he ruled mark the high point of Egypt’s identification with Arabism, represented most explicitly by its union with Syria as the United Arab Republic (1958-61), a name which Egypt kept even after the collapse of that state (changed to the Arab Republic of Egypt in 1971).

Following the defeat of 1967, pan-Arabism lost much of its prestige, and Sadat’s reign in the 70s was marked by a turn inward, culminating in Egypt’s separate peace with Israel and expulsion from the Arab League throughout the 80s. Yet by then the Arab component of Egyptian identity was firmly rooted, and remains to this day, co-existing with various degrees of tension alongside a more particular Egyptian national component (attractive to Copts in particular) and a much broader Islamic component (excluding Copts by definition).

Last edited:

lynchie

Any discussion on modern identities needs to recognize that most people/nations/state incorporate multiple, overlapping sources of identity, and their understanding of these sources of identity are fluid, subject to change over time and depending on circumstances, and will often differ in ways from others belonging to the same category (even in this thread it seems to me that some are thinking of Arabism in racial terms, some in cultural terms, and some in political terms). It’s not at all impossible, but it seems unlikely to me that Salah is one of those Egyptians who explicitly rejects the Arab component of modern Egyptian identity.

One hundred years ago it would have been rare to find anyone thinking of Egypt or Egyptians in terms of an Arab identity. Western scholars, accustomed at that time to thinking in racial terms, tended to speak of “Arabs” in terms of what they viewed as the “pure-blooded” tribes of the Arabian Peninsula and their brethren in greater Syria and Iraq. With the growth of Arab nationalism from the late 19th c., the idea had been transformed among the peoples of the region from signifying the Bedouin and fellahin (peasantry) into an elitist political identity embracing all the Arabic speakers of those same lands (it was of course rejected by some of those Arabic speakers, most notably the Maronites of Mount Lebanon).

However during the interwar years the idea underwent change. Influenced by the apparent success of German and Italian nation-building, the theorist of pan-Arab nationalism Sati al-Husri proposed a much broader definition based on language and history, arguing that “Every Arab-speaking people is an Arab people. Every individual belonging to one of these Arabic-speaking peoples is an Arab.” The proposed pan-Arab state would thus spread from the Atlantic to the Persian Gulf.

In these years this idea began to impact in Egypt as greater connectivity with her neighbors and the internationalization of the Palestine question increasingly persuaded Egyptian people that they shared a common heritage and destiny with other Arabic-speaking peoples. As a result, Egypt was a founding member of the Arab League in 1945. Throughout, however, a distinct Egyptian identity remained, drawing primarily on Egypt’s pre-Arab/pre-Islamic Pharaonic heritage, and especially attracted members of the Coptic community but also secular intellectuals.

Following the Free Officers Revolution of 1952, President Nasser’s ideological manifesto The Philosophy of the Revolution placed Egypt in three overlapping circles of international activity - the Arab, the Islamic, and the African circles. He stressed that the Arab circle had the priority, and the years during which he ruled mark the high point of Egypt’s identification with Arabism, represented most explicitly by its union with Syria as the United Arab Republic (1958-61), a name which Egypt kept even after the collapse of that state (changed to the Arab Republic of Egypt in 1971).

Following the defeat of 1967, pan-Arabism lost much of its prestige, and Sadat’s reign in the 70s was marked by a turn inward, culminating in Egypt’s separate peace with Israel and expulsion from the Arab League throughout the 80s. Yet by then the Arab component of Egyptian identity was firmly rooted, and remains to this day, co-existing with various degrees of tension alongside a more particular Egyptian national component (attractive to Copts in particular) and a much broader Islamic component (excluding Copts by definition).
Pretty standard football forum post stuff there

Coops73

Have you just copied and pasted from Wikipedia?

Status
Not open for further replies.