Modern-day Bobby Robsons ?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I have been told there was a time when people played football for art, and those who played were called artists. Bobby Robson was one of the finest of them all, and his class on the pitch didn't equal his manners outside of it.

I wonder whether there are any players in activity today who can be labelled as "gentlemen" too.

I reckon that Owen wasn't brought from Newcastle and given the number 7 shirt for no reason. There must have been something said between Fergie and Robson who seem to value this player even beyond the pitch.

Moreover, a player like Andrea Pirlo is definitely a gentleman for me, always sedated on the pitch. I remember watching him discuss with Ancelotti and Berlusconi prior to an AC Milan CL game on the pitch. He seems to be smarter than many of his peers.

Any others ?

The Law of Denis

Maldini
Giggs
Cannavaro
Zanetti
Gilberto Silva

There is lots of them if you think enough, but what made Robson stand out (for me) is how easy it must have been for anyone to talk to him about football; a bit like Bill Shankly.

thoward

It's not a lisp!
There are a fair few in the current United set up, I'm biased but I doubt there's a really big club with as many nice guys in their current set up. The likes of Park,Brown O Shea,Carrick, Evra and Fletcher come across as gentlemen in addition to those already mentioned.

Peter Crouch and Dirk Kuyt come across as nice guys.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
I have been told there was a time when people played football for art, and those who played were called artists. Bobby Robson was one of the finest of them all, and his class on the pitch didn't equal his manners outside of it.

I wonder whether there are any players in activity today who can be labelled as "gentlemen" too.

I reckon that Owen wasn't brought from Newcastle and given the number 7 shirt for no reason. There must have been something said between Fergie and Robson who seem to value this player even beyond the pitch.

Moreover, a player like Andrea Pirlo is definitely a gentleman for me, always sedated on the pitch. I remember watching him discuss with Ancelotti and Berlusconi prior to an AC Milan CL game on the pitch. He seems to be smarter than many of his peers.

Any others ?
He's one such guy. So are Hiddink and Lippi

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
I'm sure there's lots of gentlemen around these days but I'd put a years pay on none of them doing anything like what SBR did.

And I mean that with the greatest respect to players considered "good guys" these days ... but if we're brutally honest can you see any of them with the combination of leadership, enthusiasm and most of all personality it would take to really be called a modern day Sir Bobby Robson?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Surely not indeed but at least having a certain amount of elegance, keeping the idea of footballers being role models alive.

Demetrio Albertini was one, paid on £2.500 a month throughout his entire career that saw him going through the ranks of the likes of Barcelona.

karan316

Maybe Bullard and Moritz Volz? Both good-humored and come across as really genuine guys.

Sonny Feehan

All the pro footballers I have ever met have all been decent, down to earth guys who love to chat about the game. Jackie and Bobby Charlton, Roger Hunt, Lou Macari spring to mind. Alan Ball was a bit strange but maybe it was the voice.

vijay

Im rude and disprespectful to the ladies of the fo
It was Souness and Fat Freddie that bought Boy Wonder back to England, paying the premium even if the player wasnt wanted by any other club.

Robson on his final season at Newcastle, has invited and convinced Hitzfeld to take over from him, when Hitzfeld was contemplating a move outside Germany.
But Fat Freddie pulled the plug citing he cannot do business with Hitzfeld and appointed Souness instead. The Scouser signed Owen and the rest was History.