Moises Caicedo | Chelsea agree £115M fee | signed for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke511

If we're not it must be either due the price quoted by Brighton or because he's already had his head turned by another team (probably Arsenal since Jan). Not because we don't like him.

Our priority is obviously striker and then we want a CM and a GK based on what ETH said. Might even need a CB if Maguire leaves. We probably don't have enough money for all 3 or 4 if BHA are asking £80m for Caicedo and Arsenal are willing to pay it.
The point is if we end up with Mount over him, it won’t be because of financial reasons it’ll be down to Ten Hag’s preference.

AndersB

The player also has a say in this, and I'd expect most players to look at the competition they have for a secure starting spot straight away. For us it would be Casemiro. For Arsenal it would be an out-of-favor Thomas Partey. I know where I'd trust myself to nail down the spot (unfortunately, as I think Caicedo is a fantastic player)

luke511

The player also has a say in this, and I'd expect most players to look at the competition they have for a secure starting spot straight away. For us it would be Casemiro. For Arsenal it would be an out-of-favor Thomas Partey. I know where I'd trust myself to nail down the spot (unfortunately, as I think Caicedo is a fantastic player)
There's a place available in utd's midfield too, if Fred can play there then Caicedo is a dream.

waza7111

There's a place available in utd's midfield too, if Fred can play there then Caicedo is a dream.
I think ETH is looking to change the system from a double pivot to a single one which is the reason for the Mount signing-

Casemiro
Mount - Bruno
Antony - ST - Rashford

waza7111

I have doubts if it'll work but I'd prefer Caicedo instead of Mount also.

Rabiot is probably a backup in case it doesn't work.

Then we have to buy a Goalkeeper, possibly a right back, centre back and a striker which leaves little room to spend £80 million on Caicedo.

Thiagoal

I think ETH is looking to change the system from a double pivot to a single one which is the reason for the Mount signing-

Casemiro
Mount - Bruno
Antony - ST - Rashford

We’d be in big trouble if Cas was our only DM with two attack minded midfielders ahead of him! He wouldn’t have the legs to cope in the Premier League! A Caciedo type signing would make far more sense or sign a DLP and play Cas next to or slightly in front of him

luke511

Casemiro
Mount - Bruno
Antony - ST - Rashford

That midfield will have the same problem we've had against good teams this season, our forwards tend to be wasteful in possession and Bruno loves to float, we need that extra defensive cover in midfield to make up for it. Plus we still need Casemiro cover, even with Rabiot he doesn't play the lone 6 role.

MadMike

Because Mount will cost a bomb too.
He’s on his final year and not renewing, so he’s likely to cost significantly less.

Plus, like I said in the post you quoted, you don’t know if Caicedo hasn’t already had his head turned and decided to join another team like Arsenal who have been pursuing him since Jan. So we might have enquired, but been told he has eyes for another team and we moved swiftly on.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s on his final year and not renewing, so he’s likely to cost significantly less.

Plus, like I said in the post you quoted, you don’t know if Caicedo hasn’t already had his head turned and decided to join another team like Arsenal who have been pursuing him since Jan. So we might have enquired, but been told he has eyes for another team and we moved swiftly on.
Except him and Mount are completely different styles of players, so that logic doesn’t even follow. And Mount won’t cost “significantly less” considering we are buying from Chelsea in that case compared to Brighton. He’ll be about 10m less I’d guess

Licha M

Arnold needs to burst into Paul Barber's office, grab him by the scruff of the neck and tell him to be thankful a club like United is darkening their shitty door, that Caicedo will be joining United and remember where they are on the food chain.

InfiniteBoredom

We need homegrown players. It's that simple.
Garnacho would count as homegrown next season, no?

And even this season we have Nathan Bishop who half of this forum probably doesn't know on our 25 man squad for registration purpose. So we can do Bishop, Garnacho, Sancho, Rashford, McTominay, Shaw, register Hannibal before sending him out on loan again like Tuanzebe, so that's just one short who we can find somewhere, none if one of AWB/Brandon Williams is still here. Mount being homegrown is a bonus but I don't think it's that important.

MadMike

Except him and Mount are completely different styles of players, so that logic doesn’t even follow. And Mount won’t cost “significantly less” considering we are buying from Chelsea in that case compared to Brighton. He’ll be about 10m less I’d guess
Didn’t Brighton turn down 80m for Caicedo in Jan? You think Mount will cost 70m on his final year?

They are different players, which actually completely undermines he original argument that going for Mount means we don’t want Caicedo. If we don’t get Caicedo my guess is we’ll be going for Rabiot instead who is free and we’ve been trying to get since last summer.

bucky

Garnacho would count as homegrown next season, no?

And even this season we have Nathan Bishop who half of this forum probably doesn't know on our 25 man squad for registration purpose. So we can do Bishop, Garnacho, Sancho, Rashford, McTominay, Shaw, register Hannibal before sending him out on loan again like Tuanzebe, so that's just one short who we can find somewhere, none if one of AWB/Brandon Williams is still here. Mount being homegrown is a bonus but I don't think it's that important.
Nope. Doesn't need to be registered. Tuanzebe is gone, so is Jones. In all likelihood Williams, Elanga, McTominay, Maguire, Henderson and one of Heaton/Butland will be moved on.

croadyman

We’d be in big trouble if Cas was our only DM with two attack minded midfielders ahead of him! He wouldn’t have the legs to cope in the Premier League! A Caciedo type signing would make far more sense or sign a DLP and play Cas next to or slightly in front of him
Yeah it's a strategy which worries me too especially when going to Etihad and Anfield

croadyman

Didn’t Brighton turn down 80m for Caicedo in Jan? You think Mount will cost 70m on his final year?

They are different players, which actually completely undermines he original argument that going for Mount means we don’t want Caicedo. If we don’t get Caicedo my guess is we’ll be going for Rabiot instead who is free and we’ve been trying to get since last summer.
So you reckon it's Mount and one of Caicedo/Rice/Rabiot then by the sounds of it

MadMike

So you reckon it's Mount and one of Caicedo/Rice/Rabiot then by the sounds of it
I obviously don't know shit, but that's my guess yeah.

The way I see it ETH wants to make at least 4 transfers this season like last year. Maybe 5 if his hand is forced by departures. He has been vocal about ST and GK and he's thrown down the gauntlet at Maguire, so if he leaves we might need a CB too. As far as the midfield goes, my guess is that he's looking for 2 players to replace wantaway McTominay and one of VDB or Fred. One who can play deeper in a CM/CDM role that can cover for Case or even partner him in conservatively approached games. One who is box-to-box with a good combination of creativity and energy, a player that would fit a midfield system with 1 CDM and 2 #8s.

My thought is that he obviously likes Rice and Caicedo and he's not blind to their qualities but he probably finds it hard to justify spending 80m-100m for a CDM/CM alone when his priority is a striker and he has so many other positions to fill too. I basically think that he certainly likes Rabiot enough for the deeper role and the fact he's free is making him too tempting. And as for Mount if the rumour that he wants him is true, I expect we'll make a £50m take it or leave it offer to Chelsea and see how it plays out.

If we succeed in that, then getting Mount and Rabiot for half the quote cost of Rice is no doubt the smart business for this summer.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Thanks Mr. Brighton CEO for letting us know of your plans.
There is really no need for hostility. I follow and understand our club’s processes fairly well and I am pointing out our business model is reliant on managing negotiations with top clubs effectively. We have sold players for big fees to Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal and on each occasion the club has sold to the team matching the club’s valuation, in spite of interest from elsewhere.

Leeds bid £30m for White, who was player of the season for them the season prior, but waited and got £50m from Arsenal. Cucurella wanted to go to his “dream club” Manchester City, but they were offering £35-40m - so he went to Chelsea for over £60m.

I am pointing out that too much is being made of a player being a fan of a club, what really matters is the agent fee, the remuneration package for the player and of course the transfer fee involved for the player.

If Chelsea offered £90m and Manchester United wouldn’t go above £70m, to Chelsea he will go.

I hope you understand I am not being hostile or disrespectful in pointing this out, it’s simply a fact of business.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Caicedo is likely to go for north of 80 million if he does go. Mount is more likely to be in the 40-50 million bracket. No way is Mount just 10 million cheaper than Mount!

Gordon S

Caicedo is likely to go for north of 80 million if he does go. Mount is more likely to be in the 40-50 million bracket. No way is Mount just 10 million cheaper than Mount!
There is a joke in there somewhere, feck it

mikeyt

Casemiro
Mount - Bruno
Antony - ST - Rashford

Even if he did change the system, Caicedo is still far superior to Mount in that role.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I don’t think you’ll get 80 for him. 60-65 is my guess
I don't think anyone will get him for less than what they were offered in Jan, financially Brighton don't have to sell though apparently there is some sort of agreement in place

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don’t think you’ll get 80 for him. 60-65 is my guess
We turned down 70 million from Arsenal in January and he’s signed a new long term contract since then. We will not sell him cheaply, there’s absolutely no need.

RuudTom83

Currently the weakest link in the United midfield is Eriksen.

So I think the idea would be to improve that position first.

Caicedo for 80+ million is not that guy.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
We turned down 70 million from Arsenal in January and he’s signed a new long term contract since then. We will not sell him cheaply, there’s absolutely no need.
I think he may have been promised a tranfer this summer in Jan itself. I think he will go fo 70m - 75m. The player/manager have openly said that he is leaving so in this case Brighton are basically not trying to maximize the transfer fee. They will let him leave for a set fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.