Money Investment

red thru&thru

City & PSG are two of the biggest spenders in world football...Clear to see money doesn't really equal success.

Glazers have spent plenty of money in our squad. I'll look at it post SAF. United have spent £1.2b on transfers, with £900m net spend, with us having a £308m a year wage bill, second highest in world football.

I just wish the correct football people were looking after the football side...hopefully we have now.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
City & PSG are two of the biggest spenders in world football...Clear to see money doesn't really equal success.

Glazers have spent plenty of money in our squad. I'll look at it post SAF. United have spent £1.2b on transfers, with £900m net spend, with us having a £308m a year wage bill, second highest in world football.

I just wish the correct football people were looking after the football side...hopefully we have now.
City from no where to multiple prem titles

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's fairly obvious that spending big money thoughtfully yields success. Barca and ourselves have spent very poorly in recent years. We've made a habit out of it and are still stuck in that loop, also with top wages for not top players.

Cloud7

Spending in isolation is never a guarantee of success, as we've proven ourselves. The spending has to be sensible.

red thru&thru

PSG just reached their first final in 25 years?
Exactly. How long have they had the Qatari money?

All I'm saying is, our club should be focused more on intelligent investment & not the massive transfer buys that our fans crave.

Our fans berate the Glazers for lack of spending, which isn't true. We should be slating them for their lack of due diligence on the footballing matters. Having the correct people in place who have an actual long term plan for the football.

Chief123

What’s crazier is we’ve spent over £900m just on financing! Interest etc.

Chief123

Exactly. How long have they had the Qatari money?

All I'm saying is, our club should be focused more on intelligent investment & not the massive transfer buys that our fans crave.

Our fans berate the Glazers for lack of spending, which isn't true. We should be slating them for their lack of due diligence on the footballing matters. Having the correct people in place who have an actual long term plan for the football.
The annoying aspect is they’ve happily spent money on poor due diligence and now are reluctant to spend on the one talent that’s the best potential signing we’ve had in all those years!

red thru&thru

The annoying aspect is they’ve happily spent money on poor due diligence and now are reluctant to spend on the one talent that’s the best potential signing we’ve had in all those years!
Yea. In the long run, it has cost them by not sorting the footballing mess earlier. I'm hopeful of Ole and team doing this now but if it goes to pot again, Ed should lose his job.

But by all accounts, Joel is taking more of an active role.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What’s crazier is we’ve spent over £900m just on financing! Interest etc.
That’s a separate and different discussion. As a club we’ve spent more than enough post SAF to be at the top table right now. The reason we aren’t is because we’ve spent that money terribly.

Web of Bissaka

Making good investments and managing that "investments" well are the difference makers.

Our investments are mix (some good, some bad) while the managing investments aspects are our biggest problem, it's seriously lacking (not good enough) for a top club in EPL which has many strong competitors. PSG doesn't have that kind of problem, so their problem is CL competition.

ReallyUSA

They lost by one to a team that has a feeder league. PSG and City are absolutely a good example why money matters most. Our board continuously buys shit players and extends shit players. Or they buy an Angel Di Maria who looked like he was going to cry during his first press conference. Or pay 12m loan fee for Falcao. Or reward players on good form with a bumper contract like Shaw. Hell, just extend players like Jones for no fecking reason. Man Utd spend money, but they spend money wrong, and by the grace of God it has changed for the better. The last two windows have been good, even though this one is starting out kind of depressing.
Our wage bill has dropped pretty low now I believe, I have to verify that. Think it is around number twelve now.

cyril C

As pointed out by another thread, City has won multiple EPL. Chelsea has won multiple EPL plus CL and Europa, so money does talk. RM and Barca spent billions, dominating domestic and European football. So the question is are you spending the money wisely, finding the right players and managers.

Mindhunter

The difference between us and the oil rich clubs are that they can easily erase their mistakes by pouring in more money. For us, each transfer is a risk and it impacts us financially if it doesn't work out. Unfortunately due to the turmoil and lack of vision, our forays into the transfer market has been more off than on. We have reached a point where we seriously risk being irrelevant for a couple of decades (like Liverpool) till be come pack through shrewd decision making and buying to a plan.

red thru&thru

As pointed out by another thread, City has won multiple EPL. Chelsea has won multiple EPL plus CL and Europa, so money does talk. RM and Barca spent billions, dominating domestic and European football. So the question is are you spending the money wisely, finding the right players and managers.
And we have won titles under Glazers too.

But yes, money being spent wisely should be the fans key points, not Glazers not spending the money.

SirAF

Ageist
For that investment, surely a CL or 2 should be a given? Even PSG?
I’d say not really. There are so many variables in a KO tournament like the Champions League, unlike a league you can’t «budget» to win it. The best team quite often wins, but not always: the other team can have a player hit a worldie, the referee can make a big mistake, your own team can have an off night at just the wrong time etc. A season of 38 matches gives you plenty of chances to make it up, a cup tournament doesn’t.

red thru&thru

I’d say not really. There are so many variables in a KO tournament like the Champions League, unlike a league you can’t «budget» to win it. The best team quite often wins, but not always: the other team can have a player hit a worldie, the referee can make a big mistake, your own team can have an off night at just the wrong time etc. A season of 38 matches gives you plenty of chances to make it up, a cup tournament doesn’t.
So are you saying, City & PSG were bought to dominate their respective leagues?

SirAF

Ageist
So are you saying, City & PSG were bought to dominate their respective leagues?
I’m not sure how I can make it any clearer? Money is vital to sustained success but it does not GUARANTEE you to win a tournament like the Champions League - due to variables like I mentioned.
Juventus bought Ronaldo to try to win the CL, but it was never going to GUARANTEE it.

red thru&thru

I’m not sure how I can make it any clearer? Money is vital to sustained success but it does not GUARANTEE you to win a tournament like the Champions League - due to variables like I mentioned.
Juventus bought Ronaldo to try to win the CL, but it was never going to GUARANTEE it.
So money alone isn't a factor in success, frugal spending is more important.

And PSG & City have failed by not winning the CL. This is why PSG sack so managers...even after winning the league. It's why Sarri lost his job.

Pep manages to get away with it because of his brand of football but doubt he will last beyond this season.

Coleyoscar

And we have won titles under Glazers too.

But yes, money being spent wisely should be the fans key points, not Glazers not spending the money.
The combination of greedy owners and an inept banker who thinks he knows more about football than the professionals has brought us to this state. They are a lethal combination for a once dominant football club. Pointing to how much they've spent is not the point, it's like telling a speed cop that you were under the limit for part of the journey. Spending money 'wisely' for these people is exclusively about maximising their take.

red thru&thru

The combination of greedy owners and an inept banker who thinks he knows more about football than the professionals has brought us to this state. They are a lethal combination for a once dominant football club. Pointing to how much they've spent is not the point, it's like telling a speed cop that you were under the limit for part of the journey. Spending money 'wisely' for these people is exclusively about maximising their take.
But greedy how? You don't feel £1.2b spent is enough?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The Glazers haven’t spent a penny on United. Why do people not understand this? Everything we spend is money generated by the clubs revenue.

Bole Top

it's not that simple. you can spend and improve but still remain behind some other teams, because the best players (and managers) are already somewhere else. just because you can't buy the best fullback in the world, it doesn't mean you won't spend on some other fullback to improve on your current options. that means you end up with improvement while still being worse in that position than clubs that already have Maicon and Daniel Alves in their first 11. Madrid spent massively on Benzema, Kaka, Alonso and Ronaldo to improve on their previous team while still being worse than Barca who got Messi, Busq, Iniesta and Xavi - for free. it doesn't mean money means nothing, rather that money sometimes can't buy you better players than what some of your rivals already have in their squad, even if you spend wisely.

Bayern got player like Lewa for free while other clubs spend big money for players of his quallity. does that mean PSG should have much better attack than Bayern because they paid their striker 150 mill.? should their midfield be better because they spend 80 mill. on Gueye and Paredes while Bayern once again managed to get Goretzka for free? because that's not how it works.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
It becomes easier to add cheaper quality players when you have a set quality 11 players. Haven’t always got to chase that £100m plus signing then. You hold the power of negotiating without being desperate.

Siorac

The Glazers haven’t spent a penny on United. Why do people not understand this? Everything we spend is money generated by the clubs revenue.
This is irrelevant pedantry. The point is that under the Glazers, our transfer spending has been right up there with Europe's top clubs since Fergie's retirement. They haven't restricted transfer funds, or at least no more than any other non-oil club.

We've simply wasted a lot of money and too often can't get good prices when we sell players.

Matriac

The Glazers own United. Every penny the club generates is the Glazers. Why do people not understand this?
They think owning sports clubs are a hobby that you should put your own money into for the fun of it.

It is (almost) always a business, if you invest your own money it's for the club to grow to make even more money in the future.

Or it's for PR, like in cycling where teams are named after the sponsor.

Coleyoscar

The Glazers own United. Every penny the club generates is the Glazers. Why do people not understand this?
If you buy a new United shirt, you're not supporting United, you're supporting the Glazers. I wish people would remember this.

Thaila-X

In my opinion the United hierarchy heard the phrase 'Football is a business' and decided to take it literally and run the club as a business. Investment alone doesn't equate to success, it has to smart, calculated investment.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Everything else equals money talks.

It's no brainer.

But let's not forget we're not actually not spending money ourselves. They spend 500 we spend 300 Chelsea spend 200 it still swings both ways with many variables factors included.

Unless you're talking about city vs teams that doesn't spend anything.

If we're successful eventually we cant claim we dont buy our way in. Pogba maguire bruno etc, we're hardly skint ourselves

red thru&thru

In my opinion the United hierarchy heard the phrase 'Football is a business' and decided to take it literally and run the club as a business. Investment alone doesn't equate to success, it has to smart, calculated investment.
How was Manchester United ran before the Glazers?

crossy1686

career ending

Hiring manages that don't understand United and see it as the Real Madrid of England, then giving them complete control to decide who stays and go's has been the biggest issue. The board allowed that to happen and they deserve the blame for it, although they will say they've backed every manager, to a degree.

The biggest issue is our fans to be honest. We just shifted Sanchez off the books who was a massive failure and just couldn't handle being a United player, the second he's gone a thread pops up on here "Willian" - "Thiago" - "Herrera" - "Higuian, worth a punt?".

It's like people never learn. The sooner people realise a good CV doesn't equal success we'll all be better off.

red thru&thru

Hiring manages that don't understand United and see it as the Real Madrid of England, then giving them complete control to decide who stays and go's has been the biggest issue. The board allowed that to happen and they deserve the blame for it, although they will say they've backed every manager, to a degree.

The biggest issue is our fans to be honest. We just shifted Sanchez off the books who was a massive failure and just couldn't handle being a United player, the second he's gone a thread pops up on here "Willian" - "Thiago" - "Herrera" - "Higuian, worth a punt?".

It's like people never learn. The sooner people realise a good CV doesn't equal success we'll all be better off.
Agreed. I've heard fans say we are only buying young players now, as to save for transfers. These people don't understand the basis of our clubs success has always been around youngsters!

sp_107

Wrong, Our net spend over last 7 years is around 620M, means it is around 90M per year.

We spend OK but not signing right ones is our main issue so even I dont complain about Glazers on spending but they should have proper structure in place as they know Ed is not a footballing man.

Old school managers and wrong signings let us down in last 7 years.

red thru&thru

Wrong, Our net spend over last 7 years is around 620M, means it is around 90M per year.

We spend OK but not signing right ones is our main issue so even I dont complain about Glazers on spending but they should have proper structure in place as they know Ed is not a footballing man.

Old school managers and wrong signings let us down in last 7 years.
And your source for your figures are from?