'Money spent' never tells the full story

OleBoiii

Disclaimer: This is a Manchester United forum and I am a Manchester United fan, but this thread is still relevant for all clubs. I will however mainly use our club as an example, as I know more about us than other clubs.

"How can you do so poorly? You spent X amount of money! This other club only spent half of that and they are higher on the table! There are no excuses for this!"

Time and time again you'll hear or read similar comments. Whether it's in a pub or on Reddit, the topic keeps coming up. Money should apparently always equal success. And how could it not? Looking at the clubs dominating in Europe, there's a strong correlation between money and success. But is it always that simple?

We are in a very special situation. Despite our status we've been very unsuccessful relative to our standards for a fairly long time(7.5 years). In terms of transfers and wages, only City has outspent us. In the same period several clubs have spent less and been significantly more successful. Based on the idea that money must equal success, this would suggest that either the transfers have been bad or all 4 managers have not been up for the task(or both). I'm not gonna say what's true, because I don't know. I will however argue that comparing how much money you've spent compared to your rivals is borderline useless as a metric, unless we're talking extreme amounts.

There are many variables involved with transfers and the infamous "net spend". Here are the most important in my opinion:

Your team's base level
If you are miles behind where you want to be, then you naturally have to spend a whole lot more than the teams in front of you in order to catch up. And you can't make that many mistakes with the transfers either. Every mistake is potentially a compounding one(more on that later). The concept is simple enough to grasp, though: if Team A is a 9/10 team and Team B is an 8/10, then the latter can't expect to do as well as the former just because they spend roughly the same amount. They have more problems to fix, after all.

The art of selling players
It's been discussed in here before, but selling players is almost as important as buying. If your club is good at selling its players before they "expire", then not only will it positively affect the money spent on wages but your net spend will also go down. Articles have been posted about the myth of net spend and how big clubs aren't necessarily too bothered by it, but fans will constantly bring it up nonetheless. One club can outspend another but be better at selling, thus making the club win the "net spend argument" among fans.

Mistakes happen
Mistakes happen, but they are exponentially more costly for clubs that already are struggling. The Champions can afford to blow 100 million on one or two flops and still be comfortably ahead of its rivals. It's obviously not ideal for these clubs either, but it's nothing compared to a club that's trying to build a top team to begin with. Not only do these transfers steal playtime from other developing players, but they also make the club drop other targets that could have worked out. Once you've come to terms with your mistake, it may be too late. Then it's back to the drawing board, only this time your wage structure is more fecked and the players you signed may be hard to sell. And in order to keep something resembling of a bench, you may have needed to keep some subpar players who now are on wages so high that no one will take them. It's a nightmare that is impossible to fix quickly. The ramifications can last for years.

The cost of a player is rarely fixed
With the exception of buyout clauses where no other rivals is willing to pay, a player's cost isn't fixed. There will inevitably be extra "taxes" for desperate clubs with money to blow. What costs you 500 million over a 5 year period could cost your rivals 300 million. When Champions/serious title contenders come knocking, the selling club knows that they can't be too greedy.

The player's wishes
Salary matters, and there's nothing wrong with that. But that also means that if you are not the player's first choice, then you need to offer higher wages to convince him. This is not the biggest problem, though. At least in this scenario you get your target. The worst is when none of the players you want wants to join you to begin with. This can force you to pick from the second highest shelf or even sign players that you don't really need. You could argue that this the wrong decision, but it's understandable that clubs make the gamble in order to at least have a chance of progression. The principle remains the same, though: signing 1 player you need for 100 million is much better than signing 2 players you don't really need for the same price.

Overall it seems clear to me that 'money spent' is a poor metric in and of itself and that it should never be used as the "winning argument" in any discussion. Not unless the club being discussed is run by competent people and has decent starting point. This is also probably why so many want a DOF for their club if no such role is filled. All clubs, big and small, need the following basis:

1. A general idea of how much money that probably needs to be spent in order to reach your goals. This estimate must take base level into account. And even if your transfers generally are smart, there's a good chance that nearly 50% will fail. This should also be taken into consideration.
2. Staff that are competent at closing deals, both when it comes to selling and signing players.
3. Staff that know when to splurge and when to be smart. If a top player wants to join you but costs a fortune, then it may still be smart to go for it, as the next similar chance could be many years down the line.

Once you have the above, then you have a good basis for whoever does the coaching. If you fail at one or more of the above, then you need a once in a generation talent to reach your goals. Unless you already have the best team and can autopilot the season, that is.

Skills

Snitch
To me the problems the club has are also reflected in the fanbases views on football.

Our club and the fanbase both fail to recognise that players are by far the most valuable commodity in football. They are far more valuable than managers. Yet both the club and the fanbase seem to love nothing more than tying their fate to the managers role. It's either "back the manager" or let "clear him clear the deadwood" - both of these concepts are completely stupid in modern football when a single footballer can cost you the best part of £200m.

Only when the club moves on from this mentality will we ever get anywhere. To be better than we are, the first stage for the club is to accept that we can't dictate which players will be available in the market at any given time. We can't get managers exactly the players they want or even need, so why not just be flexible and get the best players you can get and then just get the manager/coach who will suit the group of players you've managed to assemble? And what you'll find is that every few years or every 5-6 players you add to the squad, you might just need a different manager to manage a refreshed group of players.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don’t think Southampton fans would agree with the “players far more valuable than managers” idea. Because they’ve become an excellent team, with a squad of players that would be deemed less than useless if a poor manager was causing them to slide down the table.

There’s a similar situation at Leicester. Turns out a really good coach can create a team that is more than the sum of its parts.

This shouldn’t be news to United fans. Fergie made a career out if it. Hence we won the league multiple times when a man for man comparison with our rivals often made United seem to have an inferior squad of players.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
To me the problems the club has are also reflected in the fanbases views on football.

Our club and the fanbase both fail to recognise that players are by far the most valuable commodity in football. They are far more valuable than managers. Yet both the club and the fanbase seem to love nothing more than tying their fate to the managers role. It's either "back the manager" or let "clear him clear the deadwood" - both of these concepts are completely stupid in modern football when a single footballer can cost you the best part of £200m.

Only when the club moves on from this mentality will we ever get anywhere. To be better than we are, the first stage for the club is to accept that we can't dictate which players will be available in the market at any given time. We can't get managers exactly the players they want or even need, so why not just be flexible and get the best players you can get and then just get the manager/coach who will suit the group of players you've managed to assemble? And what you'll find is that every few years or every 5-6 players you add to the squad, you might just need a different manager to manage a refreshed group of players.
Ask Liverpool fans whether they'd rather lose Salah or Klopp. Look at the difference Flick made compared to Kovac. There is a big difference in the financial valuation of top players vs top coaches, this much is true. But arguably that's because top coaches are undervalued.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don’t think Southampton fans would agree with the “players far more valuable than managers” idea. Because they’ve become an excellent team, with a squad of players that would be deemed less than useless if a poor manager was causing them to slide down the table.

There’s a similar situation at Leicester. Turns out a really good coach can create a team that is more than the sum of its parts.

This shouldn’t be news to United fans. Fergie made a career out if it. Hence we won the league multiple times when a man for man comparison with our rivals often made United seem to have an inferior squad of players.
I think it depends on who the manager is. For example, I don't think there is any Liverpool player who is more important than Klopp. Not sure if that's true for other clubs.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Fees from Transfermarkt in Euros:

Maguire 87m
AWB 55m
James 18m
Fernandes 55m
Ighalo (12m loan fee)
Fred 59m
Dalot 22m
Lukaku 84m
Matic 45m
Lindelof 35m
Sanchez 34m (was part exchange, but maybe they did the Juve-Barca thing)
Pogba 105m
Mkhitaryan 42m
Bailly 38m
Martial 60m
Schneiderlin 35m
Depay 34m
Darmian 18m
Schweinsteiger 9m
Di Maria 75m
Shaw 38m
Herrera 36m
Rojo 20m
Blind 17m
Falcao (7.6m loan fee)
Mata 45m
Fellaini 32m

Discounting the Sanchez fee, that's a total of € 1083m post SAF spending.

The notable departures in the same period:

Smalling 15m
Lukaku 74m
Darmian 3m
Young 2m
Herrera - free transfer
Sanchez - free transfer
Blind 16m
Fellaini 7m
Mkhi - swapped
Schneiderlin 23m
Depay 16m
Di Maria 63m
Chicharito 12m
Evans 8m
RVP 6m
Nani 6m
Rafael 3m
Januzaj 8m
Welbeck 20m
Kagawa 8m
Zaha 4m
Evra 2m
Fabio - free transfer

Totalling € 296m

Wages is a whole other chapter..

But yes, money spent doesn't say too much, as the OP says. We've mismanaged funds like no others.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ask Liverpool fans whether they'd rather lose Salah or Klopp. Look at the difference Flick made compared to Kovac. There is a big difference in the financial valuation of top players vs top coaches, this much is true. But arguably that's because top coaches are undervalued.
Exactly. It all depends on who the manager is. When SAF was the manager, it was SAF > any player. If given a choice I don't think Liverpool fans would pick any player ahead of Klopp. Maybe it would be same with Southampton too. It's a different case with different players/coaches.

OleBoiii

No single player(maybe apart from prime Messi or Ronaldo) is more important than the manager. But having a good team is almost always more important than having a good coach(if you can only have one).

When Fergie won, he almost always had a team that was either better than or on par with the second best team in the league. And in the few instances he didn't, the differences were marginal. That doesn't make him any less great. Staying on top for so long and adapting to new challenges, coaches and changes in playstyle takes a true genius.

we have no footballers we paid over £200m for, and won’t be doing so for a very long time.

we need to have an overarching transfer strategy, but even if we did mistakes will always happen, and I expect the success rate of transfers for all clubs is probably only 1:2.

players have actually escaped the chip because of managerial changes. Jones, Rojo are prefect examples. Then it also could have been any manager who saw that most of the players OGS has got rid of needed to go. Especially, Sanchez, Lukaku, Valencia and Fellaini.

Web of Bissaka

Ah yes, it doesn't, quite obvious though.
Basically this thread and OP is to clarify things further to those who doesn't know or only have simple idea about it which is okay, isn't it better to know more than not?
Cheers.

Money doesn't always nor only equate success. Simple really. You need more than that to gain success. I'm sure a lot of people already know about it.

Overall it seems clear to me that 'money spent' is a poor metric in and of itself and that it should never be used as the "winning argument" in any discussion. Not unless the club being discussed is run by competent people and has decent starting point.
Okay respectfully I have to disagree here, with what you're trying to seemingly conclude. It sounds like because our club is run by a bunch of incompetent people, we should not argue or criticize the bad 'money spent' management?

Basically people who say "United should have won or doing great with the huge money they've spent" is wrong?
Sorry but that sounds too off and deflecting.

1. A general idea of how much money that probably needs to be spent in order to reach your goals. This estimate must take base level into account. And even if your transfers generally are smart, there's a good chance that nearly 50% will fail. This should also be taken into consideration.
2. Staff that are competent at closing deals, both when it comes to selling and signing players.
3. Staff that know when to splurge and when to be smart. If a top player wants to join you but costs a fortune, then it may still be smart to go for it, as the next similar chance could be many years down the line.

Once you have the above, then you have a good basis for whoever does the coaching. If you fail at one or more of the above, then you need a once in a generation talent to reach your goals. Unless you already have the best team and can autopilot the season, that is.
Again, for me that sounds like a poor connection/conclusion and again seems too deflecting.

In what way is it related?
Getting players in or bringing in players with huge sum of money doesn't determine/decide coaching.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something there, but it seems you're trying to say "we can't know for sure the quality of our coaching" because of our incompetent club management at the top level dealings all those transfers. So we shouldn't criticize Ole for bad coaching...?

Anyhow, cheers for the thread, agree with everything else.

Web of Bissaka

Our club and the fanbase both fail to recognise that players are by far the most valuable commodity in football. They are far more valuable than managers.
Depends.

I know I rather have a manager like Fergie or Busby who are for me more valuable than any players. I do agree we have to fix this fixation of prioritizing/value-ing any managers, just the good ones which is very rare. Take hold of the rare good managers once we get him which so far post-saf we are not and should be still searching and open to replace any current managers. Trial and error basically.

With incompetent managers, players are generally more valuable, but again depends on which players.
With competent managers, the managers are more valuable than players.

I imagine the current Pool fans value Klopp more than their players, prefer players to go first than him. Most likely City and Leeds fans do too with their own current managers. I head Chelsea fans tend to go against their managers or something, of course not all of them, so I guess it also depends on the fans.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Offcourse money spent doesn't tell the whole story (not even half), which is why It's always funny to see some people try to undermine someone like Pep's achievements.
With that been said, i don't think players are more important than coaches that have defined style of play. Coaches like Pep, Klopp and Bielsa will always be more important than the players IMO.

OleBoiii

Basically people who say "United should have won or doing great with the huge money they've spent" is wrong?
To claim that they are 100% wrong would be arrogant. But we can't conclude that they aren't wrong either(based on what I wrote in topic). In my opinion, I don't think the money we spent alone should have led to greatness. Not even with a good coach. I've said it before, but I'll repeat it again: the only coach in this era who could have won something big with our base level and incompetent staff, is Klopp. Say what you will about Mourinho, but he's still an elite coach. His failure sort of proves that it's a very difficult task get this club back on track. If he can win something big with Tottenham it will just further underline this.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something there, but it seems you're trying to say "we can't know for sure the quality of our coaching" because of our incompetent club management at the top level dealings all those transfers. So we shouldn't criticize Ole for bad coaching...?
Not quite. I do think his critics are way too harsh and overestimate the squad. And then there's this topic: I don't think the money he's spent is enough of an argument to sack him. In fact, I hardly think it's relevant at all.

I generally think fans only should be "allowed" to focus on 3 things: results, interviews and whether or not you find the football entertaining. We fans don't know shit about tactics or what happens behind the scenes, so it's hilarious to me when fans try to fix our problems with their amazing Football Manager certificates. As for transfers, it's impossible to know for sure which transfers are Ole's or not. This is evident based on interviews with our other ex-managers.

acnumber9

I don’t doubt Fergie’s greatness but how often would your last paragraph actually have been true. I know it could be argued to be true of 2013 but any other year? I would not agree. Not that he shouldn’t still take most of the credit for our other title wins as he definitely should.

el3mel

We have spent close to 1 billion in last 7 years. These were enough to turn the entire club upside down and solve the "poor base" problem, even with some mistakes here and there. The fact that 90% of our transfers ended up being mistakes is our problem.

tomaldinho1

Manager is a million times more important than players. I don't see how this is even debateable given we've had one of the best squads on paper for a number of seasons & SAF was the master of getting good (but far from great) teams over the line. You also only need to look at some of the teams doing well in the PL to see the absolute importance of a coach over individual players and how spending is helping when the right coach is in place (Leicester and Wolves being good examples).

@OleBoiii you even created a thread recently where the whole premise was that usually the best 1-3 teams in the league win the league. Our teams has always been stacked with highly rated players but it's never gelled or come together properly. Is it a coincidence that the closest we came to winning a major trophy (2nd with Mou) was the season he had been backed the most? Is a coincidence that the two teams who hired two of the top rated managers at that time (Pep and Klopp) and spent similarly to us have both won major trophies?

You have to look at the spending without the gift we have now of hindsight. We have bought amazingly rated players who come and then usually struggle - this is an issue with our system and tactics.

Chipper

Adulterer.
On players vs. managers it surely depends how far you take it? If you do take it a long way i.e. relegation standard squad with best manager around vs. bottom 3 manager with best squad in the league then my money is firmly on the best squad finishing higher. If you don't take it as far and inject a world class manager into a club with an average squad I think that would usually be more beneficial than injecting one world class player into an average squad with an average manager.

It is true that a great manager can get teams performing better than you'd think they should be able to based off the players at their disposal. Mind you, maybe that's just you (and me) being a bad judge of player or not understanding that these players we didn't rate are actually really good, at least at certain things. That's why we're not managers and they are.

AshRK

We have spent and wasted money, but doesn't mean we should stop spending. This whole argument but but but we spent 80m on Maguire so why should we spend 108m on sancho or 70m om Grealish is a lame argument. I would prefer money spent on improving the quality of players rather than going to glazers pocket.

GlasgowCeltic

I thought there was generally a clear correlation between wages and league position? before the last couple of years at least

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
In what other industry is the acquisition of a portfolio of assets worth hundreds of millions of pounds (I hate to call players assets but for this analogy they are) left to a single person? You have an entire team looking at different aspects: risk management, acquisition, divestments, and so on.

That's my takeaway from the very good OP. I don't think we have the right structure to execute player management in an effective manner. I like Pogba, but the downsides of keeping him this long would have prompted a more smart organization to offload him at the first opportunity. And it's more than getting a DoF.

GazTheLegend

There’s a similar situation at Leicester. Turns out a really good coach can create a team that is more than the sum of its parts..
Is Claudio Ranieri and the Leicester title winning squad not the obvious counterpoint to this? How important is/was Ranieri, really? There's a case for Nigel Pearson having done the hard yards for that side I suppose in the same way that George Graham's back four were what 'completed' the Arsenal invincibles under Wenger.

Not sure what my point is, I'm spitballing the complexity of all this in my own head at the same time :lol:

Murray3007

we must have spent close to a billion since SAF left and lets be honest you could count on one hand how many have been a hit here, this is because we have managers who all want to play different kinds of football, still not 100% what Ole even wants to do, until we get a DOF in with a vision it will just be spunk money on who ever the manager wants it will continue to be the same, yes we pay a premium being United like no other club but sometimes you just need to say no, 80m for Maguire and 50M for AWB is mind blowing, and still you look around the squad and there is some real average players about it, then we look at the wage bill its actually scare what we pay out. majority of the time the more money you spend the more chance of success.

el3mel

Is Claudio Ranieri and the Leicester title winning squad not the obvious counterpoint to this? How important is/was Ranieri, really? There's a case for Nigel Pearson having done the hard yards for that side I suppose in the same way that George Graham's back four were what 'completed' the Arsenal invincibles under Wenger.

Not sure what my point is, I'm spitballing the complexity of all this in my own head at the same time :lol:
Vardy, Mahrez and Kante were no name players before this season, and everyone was actually expecting Ranieri to get sacked and no even complete the season, so I think he was indeed really important.

Take a look at these predictions for him at this time :

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/r...-july-show-hes-defied-every-expectation-76582

OleBoiii

Bringing up Ranieri's Leiceister, SAF or Klopp is pointless.

The first is the biggest anomaly/outlier/freak season in the history of football. The second is the greatest manager in the history of football. The third is the greatest manager in the current generation of managers.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Can we bring up Avram Grant at Chelsea? Moyes at United?

They'd be supporting opposing viewpoints on the players v manager front , but when it comes down to it I don't think anyone coaches 13/14 Cardiff to finish ahead of 13/14 United. Managers can and do make a difference but they can only do so much harm or good and at some point players become more important.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Can we bring up Avram Grant at Chelsea? Moyes at United?

They'd be supporting opposing viewpoints on the players v manager front , but when it comes down to it I don't think anyone coaches 13/14 Cardiff to finish ahead of 13/14 United. Managers can and do make a difference but they can only do so much harm or good and at some point players become more important.
Managers dont make much different?

Coming from united fans?

Seriously!

We've most our trophies under 2 managers and you tell me managers cant do much?

Chipper

Adulterer.
Managers dont make much different?

Coming from united fans?

Seriously!

We've most our trophies under 2 managers and you tell me managers cant do much?
No, which is why I didn't say that but well done on being unable to read.