Most difficult in-game sporting achievement - 9 dart finish, 147 break, perfect hat-trick etc. ??

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
They're all impressive, but to me that the most difficult will always be in sports with a direct opponent who can stop you. That automatically rules out most of the ones in the OP. Personally I'd also go for something like the cricket wicket hattrick or football records because they also rely on having some kind of connection with other unpredictables like teammates.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Alex Higgins did a 155.
And Jamie Cope, of all people.

Though, just once break higher than 147 happened in tournament play, Jamie Burnett had a 148 in UK Championship 2004.

Now, who has the guts and skill to make the lowest possible total clearance of 44? Of course, your first shot would have to pot all 15 reds at the same time.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
For team sports, going the whole season undefeated winning all competitions.

Giggsy92

How about a golden set in tennis? Only been done seven times at a professional level according to Wikipedia.

Enigma_87

You know who
Darts, golf, chess - those are not sports, those are games for me. When you can play the game and in the same time enter whatever 4 star restaurant in the same outfit - it's not a sport.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
In cricket: scoring a 300 in each innings in a test match and take 10 wickets in each innings?

Too much?
It's not really perfect though is it? I mean, you could score 301.

10 wickets each innings is enough IMO. The baseball pitching one doesn't require a batting performance.

Ixion

A single season Grand Slam in Tennis, i.e. all the majors in one year (and Olympics depending on the year). I think Graff is the only player to ever do it? But then you're getting into the relms of seasons and long periods of time as opposed to single games.

147 v 9 Darter. Both very difficult but ultimately it's 9 throws versus 30 something shots over a longer period so it has to be the 147.

Funnily enough a perfect hat-trick compared to the above things isn't impressive but it's very rare you actually see it.

Last edited:

sallycinnamin

Still lives long in my memory and in a major final Taylor v Wade, The Power hit 2 nine-darters and was going on for a third but missed a bull finish and Sid Widell's commentary that " Taylor is as angry as a chip in a McCains factory", that night was just historic. On a side note snooker's 147 is now made with such alarming regularity and players that make them usually go on to win their matches but sometimes and a lot more years ago the 147 could "break" you in the sense that the whole euphoria/achievement and the inevitable adrenaline that came with it that the person would end up losing their match. In darts a huge amount of 9 darters have been taken out in matches that James Wade has been involved. When you have to start on a double in the Grand Prix of Darts in Dublin adds that extra bit of difficulty. Would like to hear others thoughts on the greatest 147 or 9 darter. For me in snooker more so that it was the first I seen was Cliff Thorburn at the World Championship and the way the other match stopped the tension was unbelievable.

muller

A perfect game is when the pitching team doesn't allow any batting player to reach first base over 9 innings. Lots of teams stop the opposing team from scoring any runs, but to not even allow a base runner to get to 1st is pretty special, and incredibly rare.
Is that the same as no hitter?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
a perfect hat trick will pretty much always rely on a teammate contribution within 90 mins of play so does that make it more difficult or less?

that's about as much as i can input right now cause rekt, need to go bed.

Carolina Red

Staff
Pitching a 27 pitch perfect game.

Also.. Pitching an 81 pitch, 27 strike out perfect game.

Those 2 have never been done in the MLB.

A MLB feat more rare than a perfect game though is the unassisted triple play. Only 15 in history.

Deleted member 101472

No formula one driver has ever won a race having started at the back of the grid.

Blatzo

This is a case of margin for error - the margin for error on a 300 yard golf shot is huge, but you only have to hit it once.

The margin for error on a 9 darter isn't as big as the 300 yard golf shot but you've got to put 8 darts in trebles and 1 in a double.

The margin for error in snooker is probably the smallest of all 3 but you've got to be inside of it 36 times in a row - the difficulty grows exponentially each time and that's why the 147 is the hardest.

Take something simple like flipping a coin- it's only 50/50 but getting 36 in a row is exponentially more difficult than getting 9 in a row - even though both are tough.

Simply put, that's why a 147 is the hardest of the lot

Redondo_Pirri

Supports
Real Madrid
10 wickets in an innings at international level, only been done twice as far as I'm aware (1956 and 1999).

400 runs in an innings only achieved once at the highest level by Lara, 350+ only achieved 6 times in history.

4 wickets in 4 balls only achieved once by Malinga at the highest level.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
In cricket: scoring a 300 in each innings in a test match and take 10 wickets in each innings?

Too much?
It's not really perfect though is it? I mean, you could score 301.

10 wickets each innings is enough IMO. The baseball pitching one doesn't require a batting performance.
10 wickets in an inning is pretty special, considering that it has happened only twice in the history of international test cricket.
I hadn't read this thread before and came in to see if 10 wickets in an innings is mentioned. It seems most difficult achievement in Cricket but 6 sixes in an over has been tougher if we consider first class matches too, not just internationals. Otherwise test cricket has 2 instances of 10 wickets in an innings while 6 sixes in an over happened twice as well in international matches(once ODI, once T20). However, if we consider first class matches, 6 sixes in an over happened only 5 times whereas look at number of times 10 wickets in an innings has happened in first class Cricket!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/209288.html

I was very surprised on finding it out first time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Quintuple Double.
Westbrook could try to have a go at it if he were better at stealing (he won't be able to block due to height). He's already got a lot of quadruple doubles where he had 10+ points, 10+ rebounds, 10+ assists and 10+ turnovers. :D

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I hadn't read this thread before and came in to see if 10 wickets in an innings is mentioned. It seems most difficult achievement in Cricket but 6 sixes in an over has been tougher if we consider first class matches too, not just internationals. Otherwise test cricket has 2 instances of 10 wickets in an innings while 6 sixes in an over happened twice as well in international matches(once ODI, once T20). However, if we consider first class matches, 6 sixes in an over happened only 5 times whereas look at number of times 10 wickets in an innings has happened in first class Cricket!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/209288.html

I was very surprised on finding it out first time.
The vast majority happened a long time ago though, I guess it must be something to do with uncovered pitches?

Look how few there are since 2000.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
The vast majority happened a long time ago though, I guess it must be something to do with uncovered pitches?

Look how few there are since 2000.
Yeah many are from long time ago but am not sure if uncovered pitches can be the reason. That will just mean batting was difficult but doesn't explain why only one bowler took all wickets so often back then but only in first class. I don't think the rules were any different to enable it.

Moby

Dick
Westbrook could try to have a go at it if he were better at stealing (he won't be able to block due to height). He's already got a lot of quadruple doubles where he had 10+ points, 10+ rebounds, 10+ assists and 10+ turnovers. :D
Never heard that one before. :rolleyes:

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Never heard that one before. :rolleyes:
Sorry.

Out of modern players I think there are a few who could get close in a career game. Green lately got a triple double without points and also had five blocks. Getting 10 blocks and 10 steals is a massive challenge though considering 11 steals is the most anyone has ever got.

Drummond if he got better at stealing could be close. He gets 15+ rebounds in every game anyway, he can block too.

sallycinnamin

Has the "golden set " been mentioned in tennis as in a player wins a set without dropping any points at all and I wonder if it's ever been done.