g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Most divisive footballers

Sigma

The threads concerning average players got me thinking what an average player is and that people have different conceptions of what one is. So who was the player who 50% of the people thought was world class and the other 50% say he is shit.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think a lot of engine players and squad players fall into that category like Milner, Park, O'Shea.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Rakitic fits that. Plenty of people thought Sevilla was his ceiling and plenty of people thought he was good enough for Barca.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Thomas Muller is the #1 selection for this thread.

People who rate him consider him a phenomenally intelligent and brilliant player; people that don't, think he's some donkey who is fortunate that balls bounce off him and find their way into the goal. Some honestly cannot fathom why he'd cost £50m+ for a buying club.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Busquets.

Some swear he's just been the lucky guy collecting trophy after trophy whilst Xavi and co did all the work, others consider him one of the best one-touch passers of all time.

Talk about extremes!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Carrick for non-United fans?
I think that type of player in general really do divide opinion. The ones that quietly control the midfield and make it look simple. A lot of City fans claim Gareth Barry was hugely integral to their 11/12 title win. They're rarely ever highlight-reel players, and usually more appreciated by those watching them play a full 90 minutes every week.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Pedro, Zlatan (maybe not so much nowadays), Cavani, Mascherano

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Ozil. No posts on his two assists today.
Good call. Still think Silva is a better player overall, but Ozil is an awesome #10, despite what I've seen others say.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Zlatan was the first one that came to mind even though I personally think it's mental anyone should question his abilities.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I don't think anyone doubts Zlatan or Muller's qualities. Ozil is a good shout though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If Valencia was a new signing, as a right back with no previous as a frustrating winger he'd be a very popular IMO.

As it is, despite it being very low in priority of attributes for him, his poor crossing and lack of adventure will always be held against him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If Valencia was a new signing, as a right back with no previous as a frustrating winger he'd be a very popular IMO.

As it is, despite it being very low in priority of attributes for him, his poor crossing and lack of adventure will always be held against him.
Fair point, I'd say. Not least if we consider him as a squad player/back-up RB. If he had been brought in as such by LVG last summer, I doubt he would be getting the constant criticism (abuse even) he gets now.

Then again, many of our fans seem oblivious to the fact that you can't have Cafu and Cafu's clone as your two RB options, so they'd probably demand that he'd be shot regardless of the circumstances.

And then there's a significant segment of others again, who seem to hold it against Valencia that Rafael was shipped out (because it makes sense, apparently, to keep a perma-crock on your books as a squad option).

facund

At United Nani and Berbatov have heavily divided opinions in recent times. Danny Welbeck came close to doing the same and Rooney has been straying in to that territory over the last few seasons.

Cavani seems to do the same which I have never understood considering his goal scoring form over the last 5+ years (>30 goals a season average). I have never watched him regularly but he generally scores and looks dangerous whenever I do.

I suppose it is just one of those things. Every time I used to watch Ibrahimovic he generally underwhelmed, its only the last three years or so that I actually witnessed what the fuss was about and started truly appreciating him.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
David Luiz was for awhile. Eventually everyone realised he is actually shit. Except Essex rob the bookies ofcourse.

Needham

Hoddle in the 80s. Easily the greatest natural talent around at the time. National team should have been built around him. Instead, he was constantly doubted because he tried to "ride tackles".

krazyrobus

Stevie -me. In terms of where he lands in the grand scale of ratings. Was he world class ( Hate that term!) or not? Which positions were he world class in? Was he a very good jack of all trades but never truly a master at any?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Khedira, is he shit, average or good?