Most Entertaining Match You've Ever Seen?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Not the greatest, as that's '99 for me every time. I mean pure entertainment value -- the sort of match where you just can't believe the level that both teams are playing at.

For me, it's this:

The single most entertaining and dramatic game I think I've ever seen -- both teams were excellent.

Followed by this:

The level of football from both teams was mesmerising. The fact that we lost on aggregate was obviously shit, but I just recall thinking, "feck, what a game that was!".

In terms of non-United matches, I think the first leg of Barca vs Bayern last year was incredible. The first 70 minutes, at least, until Messi came alive and won the tie almost single handed.

I also remember that Chelsea/Barca match of a decade or so ago with Ronaldinho and Lampard playing starring roles.

Also, USA vs Belguim at the 2014 World Cup. Not the greatest in terms of quality, but it was one hell of a match.

MarkC

I enjoyed the two 3-3 games with Barca in 99 as well. The first at Old Trafford was the best two top class teams playing some great stuff.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I enjoyed the two 3-3 games with Barca in 99 as well. The first at Old Trafford was the best two top class teams playing some great stuff.
Actually, that Juve game as well.

Parry Gallister

Not united but this one

I suppose it was technically a crap game from both sides, the score line was stupid, but from watching what I'd expected to be a fairly boring game live to ending up with such a lunatic game... pure entertainment. League cup often offers up some pretty mad-cap performances, I do like it.

United-wise, this one, amazing comeback win, RVN announcing himself.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
feck me, that game still brings a smile to my face. At 5-3 up Fergie still shouting at the players.

Did we really have Scholes, Veron, Beckham, and RVN all on the same team? It seems like a dream now. In terms of offensive weapons from midfield, add Giggs in there, and the current crop just looks pitiful.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
West Brom 5-5 Man United was a pretty damn entertaining United game for me.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
From a United POV:

Especially the 2nd goal is just fantastic.

From a (sort of) neutral POV:

Green_Red

Not the greatest, as that's '99 for me every time. I mean pure entertainment value -- the sort of match where you just can't believe the level that both teams are playing at.

For me, it's this:

The single most entertaining and dramatic game I think I've ever seen -- both teams were excellent.

Followed by this:

The level of football from both teams was mesmerising. The fact that we lost on aggregate was obviously shit, but I just recall thinking, "feck, what a game that was!".

In terms of non-United matches, I think the first leg of Barca vs Bayern last year was incredible. The first 70 minutes, at least, until Messi came alive and won the tie almost single handed.

I also remember that Chelsea/Barca match of a decade or so ago with Ronaldinho and Lampard playing starring roles.

Also, USA vs Belguim at the 2014 World Cup. Not the greatest in terms of quality, but it was one hell of a match.
The Real-United game was a good one

Entertainment though for me would have to be 7-1 Roma or 8-2 Arsenal. Could watch those two all day long.

RedRevongge

I suppose that game was but I felt a little bit pissed off that we threw the lead away and didn't give Ferguson a win for his final match.

Minkaro

Was going to say these games.

The most entertaining game I've seen live. I may have been the only United fan on the planet pleased with the result, because I somehow managed to lose count of the goals, and thought they'd beaten us. So whilst everyone around me was cursing, I was going "it's only a draw?! oh thank god!"

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

One of the greatest games ever. Not only it had countless amount of goals and superstars all over the pitch, it also had a controversial and tragic moment with Schumacher knocking out Battiston

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not united but this one

I suppose it was technically a crap game from both sides, the score line was stupid, but from watching what I'd expected to be a fairly boring game live to ending up with such a lunatic game... pure entertainment. League cup often offers up some pretty mad-cap performances, I do like it.

United-wise, this one, amazing comeback win, RVN announcing himself.
Another game against Spurs i think in 09? Where we were 2-0 down at half time then in the second half Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez decimated them.

But 99 vs Arsenal was the best for me.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Germany - England in the 2010 WC. Brazil - Germany in the 2014 WC just for the demolition of Brazil.

harms

Staff
I don't get United-Roma or Ger-Bra shouts - is it really that entertaining to watch one team completely dominate the other? It's nice when your team is winning comfortably or even humiliating the opponent, but it's not entertaining as there is absolutely no intrigue, you basically watch the team's training

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I don't get United-Roma or Ger-Bra shouts - is it really that entertaining to watch one team completely dominate the other? It's nice when your team is winning comfortably or even humiliating the opponent, but it's not entertaining as there is absolutely no intrigue, you basically watch the team's training
It's such a rarity that I do find enjoyment in it. No-one would ever expect a semi-final match between Brazil & Germany to end 7-1.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was pretty brilliant. You have to remember that Arsenal were the dominant side in those days.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
The Roma one was cracking as Totti was on about turning us over at OT before the game iirc and then we absolutely stuffed them.

For non-United games I thoroughly enjoyed the Arsenal/Newcastle 4-4. Mental game.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Germany 7-1 Brazil was perfect.

Honestly, a lot of my joy was because of Brazils arrogance coming into the game.

dellboyy

For me, it's this:

Followed by this:

I was there for both of those too... have to agree they stand out as the top couple for me.

The FA cup replay just edges it though, that game had bloody everything!

But the Madrid game was pretty special, Ronaldo was just amazing that day. Will always remember us giving him a standing ovation, and him looking at bit shocked :)

harms

Staff
It's such a rarity that I do find enjoyment in it. No-one would ever expect a semi-final match between Brazil & Germany to end 7-1.
The Roma one was cracking as Totti was on about turning us over at OT before the game iirc and then we absolutely stuffed them.

For non-United games I thoroughly enjoyed the Arsenal/Newcastle 4-4. Mental game.
Well, of course they are/were entertaining, I wasn't clear enough. But when we talk about most entertaining games EVER you surely want something more than a one-sided demolition, however impossible it looked beforehand

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Loads of United ones (with the '99 game vs. Arsenal winning out)... so I'll try go for other clubs.

There was quite a few from the World Cup, but the Netherlands 5 - 1 Spain, and the Belgium 2 - 1 USA games really stand out.

The Arsenal vs. Chelsea game from the mid 2000's which they drew 1-1 and Essien scored that belter also sticks out in the mind... as does that weird Arshavin 4 - 4 Liverpool game... that was mental.

Oh, and that Portugal vs. Netherlands game from 2006 was entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Well, of course they are/were entertaining, I wasn't clear enough. But when we talk about most entertaining games EVER you surely want something more than a one-sided demolition, however impossible it looked beforehand
Instanbul then :D

Golden Nugget

This is the match I'll never forget. The drama before the match, the passion, the roughness - everything was great about it. O'Shea's goal was brilliant followed by what is probably my favourite celebration of all time.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Peak Ronaldo:

Peak Scholes (as a goal-threat):

Just highlights how entertaining and effective great individual performances can be - and that quality is something that we're currently missing.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Holland putting five past Spain in the last World Cup was pretty fun to watch. Robben speeding past Ramos then dribbling through the box for number five was great.

We had two 4-4 draws with Chelsea and Arsenal in the space of nine days in 2009. Both games were pretty entertaining. Probably the best games I've seen as a Liverpool fan.

Fully Fledged

If we where talking about United vs Ipswich from 1995 when we beat them 9-0 then no. The thing is that Roma and Brasil were both top quality teams with a good/great pedigree. Beating them so comprehensively is a big achievement. To me this makes it as entertaining as a 4-4 draw or 5-4 win where both teams are on top of there game.

dmode

My three favourites are:
  1. When Cantona sealed the victory for the FA cup against the bindippers
  2. Macheda's strike ended the match against Villa
  3. Rooney's bicycle kick against Shitty which absolutely murdered the opponent
:drool:

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Not even close. United vs Barcelona - Cup Winners Cup quarter final 1984. Two down from the first leg and won 3-0 at OT. Never known an atmosphere like it before or since.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
its not the most entertaining match that i saw but in recent time it probably is.....Argentina - Colombia at Copa America this summer, without goals after 120 minutes of proper football and then arg won 5:4 on penalties.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
I think this was the most memorable Arsenal game from the last decade (the 'vincible years'), played at a ridiculously high level of football. The Arshavin 4-4 a year later was just a mess, by comparison.

(Apologies for the weird glare)

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Also, these four:
Can only seem to find the full copy of this one (poor Sol, again). :(

I'm not sure that I could call a game that I'm not emotionally invested in, anywhere near as entertaining as one that I am. I've obviously watched more technically entertaining games than these, but those five are probably the most memorable from my history of watching football (the Arsenal v Hull Cup Final is going to have a lot less wider appeal than the others, for obvious reasons).

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
United - Spurs 3-5 or United-Madrid 4-3

Anyone else - Chelsea Barcelona from mid 00's.