Most exciting teams that never won anything

AshRK

Dutch 2008 euro side- played some amazing football, only to get knocked out by russia
Germany 2010 wc side also were fun to watch and had great young talents
Real Madrid 2010-2013 should have won 1 CL at least.

dazjoe

Dave Sextons QPR were a great side to watch, lot of flair and based their play on the total football of the 70's Dutch. But won nowt.

Reactions: 711

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Not the most exciting but I was really excited when we had Falcao, Rooney, and RvP in the same team. If they were all on their peaks it would have been the stuff of legend. And they could play together too, they're not very similar in the terms of playstyle and would have complimented each other well.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Early 1990s Yugoslavia. So much attacking and midfield talent on that squad - Pancev, Stojkovic, Prosinecki, Savicevic, Boban, Suker. Done in by an early red in the Italia 90 quarters against Argentina and blocked from competing in Euro 92 after they had crushed their qualifying group. Then the country broke up so it was all over.

Last edited:

Strats

As a young kid that the Swedish national team between 2002 and 2008 were fun to watch. Was 3 years of age when they got the bronze in 94.

Ibrahimovic, Larsson, Ljungberg and Mellberg were a decent core and had a team that was very well balanced.

They perhaps were a bit unlucky to not get any further in international tournaments. They won the group of death but losing against Senegal in the round of 16 in 2002, and went out against Netherlands in the quarter finals in euro 2004). Ibrahimovic’ back heel goal against the Italians was a iconic moment.

Those were days. The state of them nowadays is just sad to watch.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Not the most exciting but I was really excited when we had Falcao, Rooney, and RvP in the same team. If they were all on their peaks it would have been the stuff of legend. And they could play together too, they're not very similar in the terms of playstyle and would have complimented each other well.
I remember the conversation when we signed falcao with people questioning if we had the best attack in Europe on paper. Falcao was obviously a massive disappointment overall, but I’ll never forget watching his arrival on deadline day. All the talk of him going to city only for the narrative to then change and that he was instead arriving at Utd. What a moment. Probably the last deadline day I ever watched on sky sports too as that’s a dead beast.

JogaBonitoRooney

They'd just won the league though so I'm not sure they count
They didn't win anything in that specific season though and I think they became mainstream with everybody watching them in the CL.

They flopped hard in the CL the season before so they stepped up big time in the CL that season but just fell short.

brontelicious

Hungary's Magnificent Magyars of the 1950s.

Lost one game in seven years: The World Cup Final

dugilrath

Supports
Forest
Colombia '94. Pre tournament dark horses, insane brand of attacking football, asprilla, valderrama, rincon, ready to take on the world. Instead: catastrophe, scandal and murder.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Bolton with the likes of Okocha, Djorkaeff, Hierro, Campo , Jardel, Anelka (amazingly under Big Sam)
Ossie Ardilles Spurs (the famous 5). A '4 1 5' setup, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Anderton, Dumitrescu and Barmby.
Newcastle under Keegan, brilliant to watch for years, Asprillia, Shearer, Ferdinand, Albert, Ginola
Middlesbrough under Robson when they had Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson

Reactions: 711

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Argentina 2006

Riquelme being substituted was criminal

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
2013-2020 Belgium??

Mike Smalling

I'm biased, but I would add the mid 80's Denmark team with Michael Laudrup, Elkjær, Arnesen, Lerby, Morten Olsen, etc. That 6-1 win over Uruguay in 1986 is one of the most iconic matches for our national team.

Ironically a much weaker team on paper then went on to win in 1992 with hardly any of the same players involved - not even Michael Laudrup in his prime.

KeanoMagicHat

Hungary's Magnificent Magyars of the 1950s.

Lost one game in seven years: The World Cup Final
They didn't win the big one, but wouldn't be true to say they 'didn't win anything'. They won the Olympic gold medal in 1952, it was more prestigious then than it is now. They also won a Central European Championship, which was a precursor to the Euros.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Man. United 11/12 aswell. Were involved in loads of high scoring games that season, 8-2 v Arsenal, 4-4 Everton, Bolton 5-0 etc and back to front it had more about it than the one that comfortably won the league the next season in Fergie's final year.
Agree with this. Then matches were incredible

onemanarmy

2013-2020 Belgium??
Biased of course, but they have to be up there.

Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Mertens, Lukaku, Witsel, Dembélé, Fellaini, Carrasco... We'll never get a squad like that again, although the youngsters coming through the ranks are excellent too.

Combination of a terrible manager in Wilmots for years (EC loss against Wales in 2016 was entirely on him), bad luck/inexperience on that level (imo undeserved 1-0 loss against France on the WC 2018)...

GueRed

Newcastle 1993 - 1996 - Keegan's Cole & Beardsley then Ginola & Ferdinand's 4-4-2 Attack attack, attack.

Leeds 1998 - 2001 - 'O'Leary's babies'. Harry Kewell in his prime era

Holland 1998 - 2000 The Dutch had collection of genuine top class players. They were involved in some memorable games during France '98 and Euro 2000.

Spurs 2009 - 2013 The Redknapp, Modric and Bale era. Also the Kane, Son, Ali, Poch era later on were decent to watch at times.

That Villareal team with Riquelme as their talisman was a very good team.
Leverkusen in that Ballack, Lucio young Berbatov era, that period where we had a series of games against them, they had a good team too.

GueRed

Spurs is mid 90,s Ossie Ardilles played a load of forwards

Klinsmann, Dumitrescu, Anderton, Sheringham and Barmby

in fairness they were still shit but fun games to watch
The 'You score 5 we score 4' mentality..

SambaBoy

Colombia in the World Cup 2014 and the lead up to it. They had James Rodriguez, Falcao, Juan Cuadrado, Freddy Guarin, Victor Ibarbo, Juan Quintero and Jackson Martinez.

Unfortunately Falcao missed the tournament through injury but they were really an exciting side until Brazil beat them in the quarters. Same with the Chile side in 2010.

SAFMUTD

Bielsa's Bilbao, they were a joy to watch but never won a thing.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Another vote for Brazil 82. Actually got upset when they lost I pretended I was Eder in the school yard.

whitbyviking

Boro 96/97 deserve a thread on their own. Two cup finals but lost both and got relegated with all of Juninho (think he was voted best player in the league), Ravanelli who scored 30 goals and Emerson.

Anyone who moans about fixture congestion go on soccerbase and have a look at the schedule they had from the February up to the final day, was ridiculous although one of those games was self inflicted as they didn't turn up to Blackburn just before Xmas and had to then play it on the final Thursday of the season.
I was going to mention them, saw a few games with my father. They were apparently advised they could miss the Blackburn game as they had multiple players out ill, but then the FA changed their minds and deducted 3 points, which sent them down. The worst part is they could have turned up with the kids, got hammered, not lost the 3 points and survived.

Alongside the superstars they had an ex United presence with Robbo as player manager and Clayton Blackmore in the squad.

whitbyviking

Think the best team I’ve seen never to win major honours weee Ancelotti’s Parma in 96/97.

Their squad was absolutely ridiculous - Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Sensini, Crippa, Zola, Dino Baggio, Ze Maria, Crespo, Chiesa, Brolin. The lost goes on. Basically a who’s who of Italia 90s football royalty. Think they sold Stoichkov shortly before or during that season too.

Lee565

Atalanta under gasperini from about 2018/19 to even up to present but at their very peak they were one the very best attacking sides in Europe

ThinkTank@Cafe

David O’Leary Leeds: Viduka, Kewell, Radebe, Rio, Ian Harte - great mix of exciting youth and established veterans. Still remember CL Semi Finals vs Valencia.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Spurs when they had Modric and Bale and Liverpool when they had Suarez.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Think the best team I’ve seen never to win major honours weee Ancelotti’s Parma in 96/97.

Their squad was absolutely ridiculous - Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Sensini, Crippa, Zola, Dino Baggio, Ze Maria, Crespo, Chiesa, Brolin. The lost goes on. Basically a who’s who of Italia 90s football royalty. Think they sold Stoichkov shortly before or during that season too.
Amen

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
07/08 Arsenal was a brilliant side imo.

Was all doom and gloom as Henry left that summer but Fabregas and Van Persie started to step up as leaders and Hleb was very good for 2/3 of that season, same for Rosicky before he inevitably got injured.

Reminded me of them last season as it started to fall away around March/April but they were a very good watch that season and a fantastic Man. United team that could've easily won the treble once more just about reeled them in.
While it might seem from a United perspective like we just beat them every time we played around that time (and having just checked, we followed our league defeat to them in January 2007 with a run of 19 games in which the record was 13 wins, 4 draws, and 2 defeats, after which they beat us 2-1 in the FA Cup, in March 2015), Arsenal were still a dangerous side for a few seasons after Henry left, not just in 07/08. However, this was the period in which they developed their reputation as bottlers.

Looking back now, there were signs that the wheels might come off for them in 07/08 when Spurs beat them 5-1 in the League Cup semi-final. They did come off about three weeks later, in mid-February, when we stuffed them 4-0 in the FA Cup. They won just one of the next eight league games, drawing with a string of relegation fodder, and crucially losing to both us and Chelsea. That run effectively ended their participation in the title race.

Before that FA Cup game, they were five points clear at the top, and had been top for most of the season. After they lost to us in the league at the end of that run in mid-April, they were nine points behind us, with just four games left. In that time, they were also about five minutes away from reaching the CL semis on away goals, until Liverpool scored twice late on.

They took to long to get going the next season, which left them well short of any title considerations, but after a run of five straight draws (four of which were 0-0), they won seven of their next eight, scored three or more in six of them, and even though we were quite clearly the better team, I remember a lot of the reaction to us only beating them by a single goal at Old Trafford in the first leg of the CL semi-final, being that it wasn't going to be enough to get us through the tie. We of course went on to beat them 3-1 at the Emirates, and Chelsea followed that by beating them 4-1 in the league (which actually happened to be their first league defeat since mid-late November).

In 09/10, they once again found themselves in the title race. As with 07/08, there were signs that wheels might come off after they followed a win against Bolton, that saw them to climb (temporarily) into second, by getting knocked out of the FA Cup by Stoke, drawing with Villa, and losing back to back games to us and Chelsea in the league. They kept within touching distance though, and with five games left were third, three points behind Chelsea in first, and only one point behind us, with a game in hand. They subsequently failed to win any of the next four, losing three of them, and finished 11 points behind Chelsea and 10 behind us.

A similar story in 10/11. With six games left they were six points behind us in second, after a draw with Liverpool. They'd win just one of the last six games (ironically, against us), losing three, and ended up fourth. City, who were seven points behind Arsenal with six to go, ended up finishing three points clear of them. This was also the season that they lost the League Cup final to Birmingham City, who would be relegated from the Premier League (yet to return) later that season.

They were actually top for a good stretch of 2013/14 too, but then they lost 5-1 to Liverpool, starting a run of just two wins from nine, that also included a 6-0 defeat at Chelsea and a 3-0 defeat at Everton, and they ended up fourth (although they won the FA Cup that season so it doesn't meet the criteria for this thread).

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
They won the Spanish cup too if I recall correctly
Yes they did, my bad. In my opinion he was poorly sacked: Barça had a great starting 11 but the bench was very underwhelming. Injuries came and that's why they lost the title.
Real didnt had R9 but they had a more solid squad.