Most exciting teams that never won anything

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Portugal's Figo generation
Too many egos and also we lacked balance in the team. We had amazing center backs but average fullbacks, and with Paulo Sousa becoming a permanent injured player we lost the only top quality defensive midfielder we had. They still managed to make a very solid Euro 2000. Nuno Gomes was a solid forward but not a player that would score that many goals unfortunately.

Needham

This Southampton team were good when they put it together.

Also, City after the financial rule-breaking judgement lands.

Eintracht Frankfurt 91-94

Uwe Bein (one of the greatest passers of the era), Tony Yeboah, Andy Möller, Jay-Jay Okocha, Maurizio Gaudino. They played scintillating football. The rainbow flick is still known as the Okocha Trick in Frankfurt. The '91 team threw the league title to already relegated Rostock in the last game. The '94 team won their first 11 games of the season. When the wheels came off, Toppmöller was replaced by Heynckes, who proceeded to exterminate every creative fibre of that team. Something which still makes him persona non grata in Frankfurt.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
2007-08 Arsenal was probably the best iteration of Wengerball with Kids TM. And a side capable of beating the best. Just couldn't hack the mental side of the full season plus zero depth after injuries to the main cogs.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Keegan's Newcastle was something else, especially given how squad rotation wasn't really a thing yet.

I remember thinking at the time that a attacking suite of Shearer, Les Ferdinand, Asprilla, Beardsley and Ginola was impossibly stacked.

Yes, it was top heavy. Players like Barton, Albert, Lee, Gillespie and Batty were good players but no more than that. And of those five top attacking players, 2 of them were often warming the bench.

Still, on their day Newcastle were as exciting to watch as anyone.
Barton was 15 when Keegan left Newcastle, and Shearer was never part of the most entertaining team. He only played 18 games under Keegan.

You’ve blurred Some time there but of course they were a fantastic attacking team. They were so naive but really swashbuckling at times. Always on the front foot. Really fun side.

led_scholes

Biased of course, but they have to be up there.

Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois, Kompany, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Mertens, Lukaku, Witsel, Dembélé, Fellaini, Carrasco... We'll never get a squad like that again, although the youngsters coming through the ranks are excellent too.

Combination of a terrible manager in Wilmots for years (EC loss against Wales in 2016 was entirely on him), bad luck/inexperience on that level (imo undeserved 1-0 loss against France on the WC 2018)...
But it wasn't an exciting team. Only in 2018, I remember the team was able to dominate and play fun games (for me the best side in the WC) . On 2014 and 2016, it was a boring team, centered around defense and physicality.

Bole Top

United 2011/12, those first two months with Anderson and Clev in the midfield.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Not bothered to read through the thread to see if it's been mentioned but Napoli under Sarri. For a team to have a 66% win rate over three seasons and not have a single trophy to show for it is wild.

Back then I remember being so excited to have Sarri as the Chelsea manager too. Napoli had just had a 91 point league season and that side was excellent.