Most Improved/Regressed Player 22/23 Predictions

BehemothTerror

So with pre-season training kicking off under the new regime and Ten Hag on deck I ask. Who do you think in our squad will show the most improvement next this season to come. Similarly is there anyone you think may get worse or be a couple of sausages short of a full English in the new system?

The obvious one that may be up for a rude awakening is Wan Bissaka for me. I like him but our right side lacks any consistent threat with him there and he's not great positionally which I think is going to be a big thing going forward.
I have high hopes for Elanga and Hannibal potentially if they impress in preseason even if they don't form part of the starting 11. Think Lindelof could also surprise afew people as well with better coaching of the teams shape as a whole.

Trex

Many players would improve under an organized offensive style but the most exciting would be Sancho.
For most regressed can it get worse than what they served up last season? The ones who did okayish should maintain that or be better, I'll go with Mctominay, he'll loose his place as one of the first names on the team sheet like it was under Ole and Rangnick.

Frank White

For most of the team to regress they'd have to be scoring own goals to be worse then last year, maybe De Gea? As for Improved would have to be Sancho for me, all the excuses afforded to him last season should be hopefully solved so no excuses this year.

CarbonStoolBites

Most improved I’ll go with Maguire, no way he can do any worse than last season, there’s no reason he can’t recapture the form he has shown for us in prior seasons as well as for England.

Wouldn’t be surprised if McTominay kicked it up a notch as well with good coaching and a system.

Most regressed, perhaps Ronaldo’s age will catch up to him although I doubt it.
Maybe Fred will see less minutes if we sign De Jong, Fred and De Jong is possibly too short of a midfield pairing for the PL, both are also left footed.

Dazzmondo

Most regressed will probably just mean sold since it's hard for me to see many of our players performing worse than they did last season. Only exception is probably Elanga since he has a lot of good physical attributes but is limited technically imo.

Regressed/sold:
AWB, Telles, Bailly, Elanga, Fred (don't think he'll really get worse but I think he'll have less of a role)

Improved:
Sancho, Maguire, Varane, Dalot, Bruno, Ronaldo, Diallo, Garnacho

I think Sancho and Maguire will have the most dramatic improvement. I actually think Maguire suits a lot of what ETH wants from his cb on the ball (defensively he'll need to improve big time). Sancho fits an ETH team like a glove. Dalot also really suits the inverted full back role imo (again defensively he'll have to improve though).

Remember the geese

I think that quite a few of our players will be improved next season. Particularly the likes of Maguire, Shaw, Rashford and Sancho. It's difficult to forsee any real regression due to how low a bar we are working from. Perhaps less gametime for certain players such as Wan Bissaka and McTominay. I'm also intrigued to see if more demands and responsibilities are placed on De Gea and how he copes with it.

Crashoutcassius

maguire nailed on to be most improved given the gap in his performances last season vs the rest of his career.

most regressed is tough because everyone was terrible last year. maybe varane is a shout as the injuries take their toll he could be on the wane.

Valencia Shin Crosses

If Martial stays, him and Sancho are my choices for most improved alongside Fred. The two former love to actually play football and pass quickly which should work better under a system like ETH's. Fred is a pressing machine that should get the coaching and system around him to really flourish (he was already our best midfielder last year although that isn't saying a lot), and playing alongside De Jong should really help.

GreatDane

More hope than belief - I'd love for McT to fulfill some kind of perfect De Jong partnership.
He's frustrated me as well as you guys but his performances against the likes of Leeds gives me a soft spot for him.

Red Rash

Honestly there are very few players who can regress massively when you see how bad they performed last season. The ones who I think will have better seasons in particular:

• Maguire - So bad last season that even a decent season will be a massive improvement
  • Bruno - Also had a very poor season but we saw in his first season what he is capable of
  • Rashford - Same as Maguire
  • Donny - Not really been given a fair chance and I know some people don't rate him but he is the definition of a system player. If ETH makes the team better at pass and move style of play this will suit Donny
  • Sancho - Hit and miss last season but showed quality at times. I think his style of play will work well in a ETH system especially if we can put together a competent midfield

Gator Nate

Rashford may have more room to improve over Maguire, I think he actually fell lower and his upside certainly seems higher than Maguire, so I'll say Marcus.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Shaw's going to return to his 19/20 form, I can feel it.

Blood Mage

Most improved will be Donny probably, Ten Hag knows how to use him. I don't think anyone will regress as a lot of these players already hit rock bottom last season.

demetre

Tbf I expect improvement from all our players. Individually it was a down year for everyone not named de Gea and Elanga.

So if we compare with last season then it's easily Shaw, Maguire and Rashford. Because if they won't improve, they would be playing Championship football in no time. But that would be more of a return to their level than improvement. You could say the same about Martial, but he's more of a lost cause to me, so I don't see it changing with him.

So I would say Bruno. He never had a good system around him playing for Man Utd. With better movement in front of him, I believe he will have crazy numbers in goals and assists.

cyril C

No brainer - Jones. 2 seasons ago could not even train. Last season featured a game or 2. Next seasons, train 90% of the time without injury.

Paul_Scholes18

I think Elanga can have a big season and score lots of goals.

I think Maguire will defend better under a proper coach.

I hope Shaw can return to form as well. He was so good in Euros and the season before that.

Marcus

Improved - Donny. I think you can put your house on this.

Eli Zee

Rashford for most improved.. don't see who could really regress if we have a proper manager and system. Maybe de gea is the most likely

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The question is, how do most of our players going to regress, when they are already in rock bottom.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Rashford most improved. I think he was the one who hit the lowest compared to his best, so will go for him.

OmarUnited4ever

I'm worried about Shaw, he might continue to regress further.

However, I'm also hopeful of Dalot under Ten Hag, he might improve immensely.

These are just gut feeling and not based on anything logical really.

wolvored

With proper coaching and a no nonsense manager and back up team everyone will progress. Maybe Ronaldo will be a little slower due to age, but thats it, imo.

wolvored

No brainer - Jones. 2 seasons ago could not even train. Last season featured a game or 2. Next seasons, train 90% of the time without injury.
Thats more hope than expectation. Jones has never been fit for long.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Improved: Sancho
Regressed: De Gea
Shout out to Fred, who I think will have an excellent year.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So with pre-season training kicking off under the new regime and Ten Hag on deck I ask. Who do you think in our squad will show the most improvement next this season to come. Similarly is there anyone you think may get worse or be a couple of sausages short of a full English in the new system?

The obvious one that may be up for a rude awakening is Wan Bissaka for me. I like him but our right side lacks any consistent threat with him there and he's not great positionally which I think is going to be a big thing going forward.
I have high hopes for Elanga and Hannibal potentially if they impress in preseason even if they don't form part of the starting 11. Think Lindelof could also surprise afew people as well with better coaching of the teams shape as a whole.
I've said it before and will agin: Lindelof was our best CB last season and probably the season before that. I'd love to see McNeil and Garnacho getting a chance

themanguydude

Most improved: Maguire

Most Regressed: Rashford, I don't think we're gonna give him a contract renewal

WPMUFC

Most improved: Sancho

Regression: martial. If he stays I genuinely believe he'll rarely make the bench and I think he's looking at a 0-5 goals for the entire seasons. He's completely finished and ETHs system has no room for people that just don't care. I hope he goes to another league to find himself, but could see him sticking around solely for the potential for Ronaldo and rashford getting injured.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Most improved: Rashford because I like to believe he'll beat the odds

Most regressed:martial, he seems to be absolutely finished.

Plg91

I have a gut feeling that Sancho + Martial may work so I have high hope for Martial to be the most improved.

The most regressed I guess will be Ronaldo as his age is going to catch up with him.

Tallis

My feeling is that Maguire will be exposed even more and Lindelof and Varane will be our first choice (assuming we don’t sign a CB).

I also think Bruno could struggle.

I expect Sancho, Rash, DVB to do better.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Most improved - Maguire, Bruno or Sancho
Most regressed - De Gea (I expect a significant improvement in our overall play and I think it might highlight DDG’s weaknesses. I think we’ll all be in a position of agreement where we have to move him on next summer)

Revaulx

Most improved - Maguire, Bruno or Sancho
Yeah I’m pretty confident on all three. It’s the injury-prone players (Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Varane) that I think will struggle.
Most regressed - De Gea (I expect a significant improvement in our overall play and I think it might highlight DDG’s weaknesses. I think we’ll all be in a position of agreement where we have to move him on next summer)
I’m not so sure about this.

The chances of his suddenly becoming more proactive and coming off his line are certainly pretty slim, but I think his distribution will improve massively, and straight from the off. Constantly losing possession by hoofing it long only started under Jose; simply telling him not to do that would be a big start.

In the compilation of training vids that United Peoples TV has assembled (posted in the ETH thread, I think), the presenter comments on De Gea being involved in the passing drills. So EtH must believe he’s worth working on.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Improved: Sancho

Regressed: Bruno, I think he’ll have the biggest adjustments to make in going from a counter attacking style to a possession based system.

UpWithRivers

Only good players last year was De Gea and Ronaldo. Maybe Elanga. So only they can regress. Unless somehow the others get worse than rock bottom and I have no idea how that's possible. All they need to do is try and they will be better. Just sit down on the pitch and refuse to move? So maybe De Gea for regressed. De Gea looks better in a struggling team with lots of work to do.
Most improved? Hmmmm this could be anyone again. But Ill go for Rashford. I heard he has been at Nike HQ and is putting in the work pre-season. I think he is right on the edge of falling off the cliff and ending up playing Championship and then retiring early. He seems done mentally. But if he manages to get his head right that would be one heck of a comeback.

BuzzKillington

Improved: Sancho, can’t get any worse and there’s a good player in there.

Regressed: Bruno, he’ll be out of the team by Christmas. It’s hard to see a position for him in a possession and control based team.