Most intelligent players (on the pitch)

JSArsenal

This is hard to quantify, for me at least because all top level players will generally know where to be on the pitch, how to pick a pass etc, but I think there are footballers who play the game or have tactics/instructions drilled into their head and others who understand it.

Take Fabregas for example, whenever he plays it felt like he understood the entire game better than some managers on the sidelines. Felt like he always made the right choice or the right pass. Same with Xabi Alonso.

Compare them with Rooney and Gerrard, especially the latter, where it felt like the game was about him and showing what he could do, rather than making the best decision.

I'll include RVN and Adebayor as well. The former stood offside deliberately, the latter was either too lazy or had the worst understanding of the offside rule I've ever seen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Rooney was quite obviously a very intelligent footballer on the pitch, what are you even trying to say?

Skills

Snitch
Modric is one of the smartest I've seen. Not only are his passing choices brilliant, but he reads his team mates so well - always makes himself available when they're under pressure. Was excellent in the CL final because whenever Liverpool tried to press Madrid's CBs he'd drop alongside them, grab the ball and just play them out of trouble.

Messi is obviously a football genius. I've seldom seen him make the wrong choice. It's uncanny how often he'll make the right pass, when you're expecting him to shoot or pass elsewhere.

Just Hope

If we define intelligence as the understanding of the game (opposition player position and movement, prediction ability, tempo control) for me Riquelme has to be included in the discussion.

He had vision and passing ability that surpassed Messi, sadly without the tempo.

Xaviboy

Few players out there are smart footballers, make it look simple.

Modric class act. Still doing it at his age at high level. See things before it happens.

Dennis Berkamp was very clever knew exactly what he was going to do before ball came to him. Joy to watch.

Same could be said about Teddy Sheringham, he created alot of space with his movement and made players around him better from it.

Andy_Cole

Close thread. You’ve included Rooney as not intelligent which was insane.

Going to go on an Arsenal forum now and call out Berkamp as being unintelligent.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I would say it takes brains to continually improve throughout a career, so Solksjaer for example, a natural finisher but learned later to hold up the ball and later still even converted to a winger. Or Gary Neville, not as gifted as most but got there with application and hard work.

nav_10

This is hard to quantify, for me at least because all top level players will generally know where to be on the pitch, how to pick a pass etc, but I think there are footballers who play the game or have tactics/instructions drilled into their head and others who understand it.

Take Fabregas for example, whenever he plays it felt like he understood the entire game better than some managers on the sidelines. Felt like he always made the right choice or the right pass. Same with Xabi Alonso.

Compare them with Rooney and Gerrard, especially the latter, where it felt like the game was about him and showing what he could do, rather than making the best decision.

I'll include RVN and Adebayor as well. The former stood offside deliberately, the latter was either too lazy or had the worst understanding of the offside rule I've ever seen.
Agree on Cesc/Alonso. Even physically they didn't appear like elite athletes but, when they had the ball at their feet, their superior intelligence and skill certainly did show.

Disagree on Rooney. Even from a young age his football vision and intelligence stood out. I think you're confusing it with his temper issues. I remember him being regarded as the more mature footballer between him and Cristiano, for the first couple of years at least, and it often showed with Fergie's team selections.
I think this could even apply with Gerrard, you're using moments of madness to detract from what were brilliant all l-round players. You can't play multiple positions to a good level, if you're lacking tactically/mentally.

To not mention the obvious from footballers I've seen (Xavi, Maldini etc) in the current game, having watched more regularly, Casemiro comes across as a more intelligent footballer than I imagined him to be, particularly with his passing.

Reactions: oates

JSArsenal

I could be off the mark with Rooney. I was more thinking of the version of him in his latter days, making cross field passes to no one in particular, but he was someone who had the intelligence to play all over the pitch when he was fit and on form, so a bad example from me.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Another good one, which won't be appreciated here, is Souness. Not the greatest athlete or most gifted on the ball, but he knew exactly how to run a game, how to pace it, when someone had to be chopped, but only if necessary, how to make it count and how to get away with it. A twat of course, but a clever one.

TommiHelm

For me the one stand out player is Thomas Müller. There's a reason he's played literally every game he's fit for club and country since his debut, and there are quite a few otherwise talented players I'd love to see with his footballing brains.

I also find putting Rooney in the not intelligent camp very odd. He'd be at best an average mid table player without his footballing intelligence in my opinion.

Reactions: Invictus

nav_10

Another good one, which won't be appreciated here, is Souness. Not the greatest athlete or most gifted on the ball, but he knew exactly how to run a game, how to pace it, when someone had to be chopped, but only if necessary, how to make it count and how to get away with it. A twat of course, but a clever one.
On this one, I raise you Keane.
People these days reflecting back, seem to have him down as a destroyer, tackler but he was so much more. His short passing and one-two touch was brilliant yet so simple.

Reactions: 711

Righteous Steps

People don’t even know how to quantify football intelligence, they have clear prejudices against athletic players, and they only see intelligence through a defensive perspective, so deep lying playmakers get called intelligent, while attacking midfielders who can play numerous positions get called Unintelligent.

Its a flawed way to look at football, Alonso holding his position as a DM isn’t any more intelligent than the likes of Lampard and Rooney making runs and moving intelligently to score goals.

For me a truly intelligent player would probably be Gullit, who could play numerous positions at a high level, or Beckenbauer who the same applies for.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Zico. Skillful as Maradona at times, but still his intelligence tops every bit of multiple talents he had on the pitch.

Skills

Snitch
People don’t even know how to quantify football intelligence, they have clear prejudices against athletic players, and they only see intelligence through a defensive chasm, so deep lying playmakers get called intelligent, while attacking midfielders who can play numerous positions get called intelligent.

Its a flawed way to look at football, Alonso holding his position as a DM isn’t any more intelligent than the likes of Lampard and Rooney making runs and moving intelligently to score goals.

For me a truly intelligent player would probably be Gullit, who could play numerous positions at a high level, or Beckenbauer who the same applies for.
True. Prime example of this was Daley Blind on here years ago. I always thought he was a bit of a headless chicken at times - which is why he rarely ever played the position he was actually brought in to play (CDM).

TheReligion

Abusive
I’m surprised Scholes hasn’t been mentioned.

Started as a forward, developed in to an attacking midfielder then finished as a metronome style deep lying 6. No physical attributes that would help him excel just a brilliant football brain.

Played at the highest level until his late 30s winning everything he possibly could.

Trequarista10

Needs repeating but including Rooney as unintelligent and selfish is madness. His intelligence was one of his major strengths, and he was one of the least selfish forwards to have ever played at the top level.

Nico87

Paulo Maldini was always one step a head of the any attacker. Zola had to use his brain and technique to offset all his physical disadvantages, bergkamp had a great footballing brain.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Lahm was incredible in that regard. Always knew exactly where to be. Unbelievably intelligent player.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sorry but both Rooney and Gerrrard were extremely intelligent players. Both could play multiple positions effectively, both could inspire teammates by example and both had a wide array of skills that went beyond the 'blood and thunder' approach that people associate them with.

KDB, Thiago and Kane stand out as current PL players.

Reactions: Mr Pigeon

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm sorry but both Rooney and Gerrrard were extremely intelligent players. Both could play multiple positions effectively, both could inspire teammates by example and both had a wide array of skills that went beyond the 'blood and thunder' approach that people associate them with.

KDB, Thiago and Kane stand out as current PL players.
Casemiro too

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I agree with others, that take on Rooney is something. Just delete the thread. :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah, yes. That dumb Rooney who made the right decisions on the pitch and makes them on the sidelines now.

Rooney could actually be the OP to a thread called "Players who are football geniuses but make dumb as feck decisions in regular life."

JPRouve

Scout
Ah, yes. That dumb Rooney who made the right decisions on the pitch and makes them on the sidelines now.

Rooney could actually be the OP to a thread called "Players who are football geniuses but make dumb as feck decisions in regular life."
Even his life decisions weren't that dumb, unless I missed some events it was almost exclusively Rooney having fun and not really hurting anyone else. The issue with Rooney is that for a long time, he wasn't a good speaker but over the years he actually improved and when he started doing some punditry it was pretty clear that he was able to express his mind clearly and that he actually thought about what he was talking about.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Even his life decisions weren't that dumb, unless I missed some events it was almost exclusively Rooney having fun and not really hurting anyone else. The issue with Rooney is that for a long time, he wasn't a good speaker but over the years he actually improved and when he started doing some punditry it was pretty clear that he was able to express his mind clearly and that he actually thought about what he was talking about.
Ok, he did things that appeared dumb. Getting knocked out at a party, infidelity etc. Although I'd argue that cheating on your partner is pretty dumb, but then I don't know their personal circumstances.

phelans shorts

I’m not so sure Coleen would agree with that, can be pretty confident she wasn’t impressed after the Amazon documentary.

The rest of the stuff only really effected himself, the chain smoking and heavy drinking effected his career longevity pretty majorly you’d think, but then again it’s impossible to say whether there’s a direct link between the lack of inhibition on the pitch that made him a genius vs the lack of inhibition off it that made him liable to implosion

JPRouve

Scout
I’m not so sure Coleen would agree with that, can be pretty confident she wasn’t impressed after the Amazon documentary.

The rest of the stuff only really effected himself, the chain smoking and heavy drinking effected his career longevity pretty majorly you’d think, but then again it’s impossible to say whether there’s a direct link between the lack of inhibition on the pitch that made him a genius vs the lack of inhibition off it that made him liable to implosion
That's why I wrote "almost".

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

His poor stuff seems mostly women-related. Work-wise he was very well-regarded at Derby, against all predictions. Don't know how he's doing in the US though, must admit.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Three guys who probably won't get mentions otherwise, but who I think are up there:

Gerd Müller - his ability to out-read and out-react defenses is well known, but I think it was merely a function of his general structural intelligence. His off-the-ball movement and quick short passing in buildup resembled that of a modern forward, although this was underused in the more open game of the 70s. During that time, you can also see him constantly directing Bayern's defensive movement from the front, because of his instant grasp of how the situations evolved. (Man-marking defending could be quite messy, structure-wise.)
Udo Lattek said:
He was a genius. He could play in defense or libero as well, in midfield too. He had a football instinct and knowledge of football - (the way) you could converse with him about football, it was sensational.

Kanté - not sure I've seen another midfielder with this level of defensive anticipation. Super-quick head and feet, which has been the basis for his ability to dominate the way he did.

Thiago Silva - actually a very similar case to Kanté in my eyes: that combination of superior anticipation, reaction time, defensive technique, and (in his prime) pace & agility. His knack of being ahead of the situation is clearly a main reason why he can still play at elite level in his mid-to-late 30s.

Last edited:

AnotherLondonManc

Its hard to argue against any footballing great not having fantastic footballing intelligence. All the names being mentioned here had to have a high degree of mental ability to make the best of their technical and physical attributes.

The word intelligence is too broad a term, and doesn't really have much definition as far the op is concerned. Intelligence is integral to all playstyles in different ways, and every player will use their intelligence differently.

As far as I'm concerned, the most intelligent player is also the best player, as they were able to to figure out a way to make their attributes most successful.

So the most intelligent player is Messi.

/thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As stated, the quantification of football intelligence has gone awry with some of these players - Rooney? Do you think it's possible to essentially be a pseudo-any-position-on-the-pitch-eclectic-tour de force, without footballing intelligence?

I think first and foremost, looking at players that divert from the mean narrows the pool considerably, as, if you find players who excel there, there's usually a reason that will come down to how they read and perceive the game - extremely slow, unathletic players as well as those who are absurdly athletically gifted who can process the game in real-time at accelerated speed and with interactive traits far outside that which normal/regular players can, have something otherworldly about them.

One of the easiest accusations to fling at extremely rapid players is that they can often be pace merchants or binary in their thinking, but then outliers come along who not only have pace, but understand how that ripple effect affects everything around them, and with that, they can put complex plans into place that foresee numerous outcomes and the contingencies - improvising on the hop, it may be seen as, but looked at with more scrutiny, you see a brain that is working just as fast as the body is, if not faster. Mbappe falls into this category; his understanding of range distance, spatials and his own threat via pace in and of itself, are off the charts. That he combines it all and takes advantage is special as very few players as fast as he is are going to be credited for their movement and guile off the ball or in setting up opposing players as foils in a grander scheme that they aren't yet privy to. In this regard, it's akin to chess, the more steps ahead the player he is, the smarter his game and ability to exploit the smallest windows of opportunity. Mbappe is as much a cunning schemer as he is an outrageous athlete; 1:1, it's difficult to determine whether he's got greater intelligence or athleticism as both are at the very top percentile in the game.

It's mostly established that truly unspectacular athletes who also happen to be considered amongst the best players active have to have a great deal of intelligence to negate their physical disadvantages. Scholes is usually the first name brought to the table at this juncture because his asthma, diminutive size and general lack of pace lend gravitas to the questioning of how he was able to do what he did time and again, in multiple positions, usually against far superior athletes. Others who used to tick that kind of box were Riquelme, Valeron, Valderrama and so forth, but all of them, sans Valeron, were strong, tall players who were incredibly difficult to dispossess even with touch contact, which adds a different dimension to how they solved problems, dimensions not accessible to someone like Scholes. If you scour the modern game and find standout midfielders who are not strong, fast or blessed with ridiculous amounts of stamina and yet they excel, you're more than likely dealing with a player whose in-game intelligence will be above average, at the least.

It's already been touched on in this thread, and threaded through my post that elusiveness, movement and the guile and speed of thought that not only sees the exploits but is working on how to use them to the advantage of the player at hand is generally seen as one of the major hallmarks of intelligent players - being one, two or three steps ahead without using excessive energy or physical advantages is special and is utilised in different ways across all positions on a pitch - that defender who is intercepting balls or effortlessly interjecting has to have a great deal of intelligence; what he's doing isn't happening by magic or osmosis; that midfielder running absolute rings around his opponents controlling the flow and rhythm of a game may have outstanding skill and footballing ability, but if he's frequently finding himself in acres of space and 'bending the game to his will' there is going to be a lot of intelligence on display.

An interesting player to throw into the mix for the discussion is the aged version of Messi. He breaks the rules in terms of ability, which then sort of bends all the rules for everything else. He can play at walking pace; see passes others can't; receive the ball without a jot of movement and be deadly with it; score on any touch he wants inside of 30 yards of goal - is that intelligence or just a level of brilliance that negates other factors? In isolation, yes, I think so, but then you add his elusiveness when he elects to inject it as well as his ability to foresee the use of himself as a decoy and foil from which he oscillates between passive and active - meaning, he's processing the best course of action in real time - and you have a player who, if you elect not to see it, is pure ability, or if you're looking at him as a whole package, is operating on at a level of intelligence that's rarely seen, especially so when you consider the more pure ability you have, the harder it is to be disassociative, or at least, the bigger the decision when you can rely purely on ability to affect everything all of the time by yourself, essentially.

For me, this thread has two paths: the very obvious, like I've mostly leaned on and then those who are rarely discussed because what they do/did doesn't strike the chord with what people generally deem football intelligence - Suarez is an example of a very clever player whom I doubt would get many shouts in a thread like this even it spanned a 1000 pages. There are dozens in that category, I would say.