Most intelligent players (on the pitch)

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Romário another good shout: he simply had a 6th sense. His anticipation was brilliant

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
His ability to see and execute the impossible pass is unrivalled. Even for Messi more recently.
And always picked those almost impossible passes that few player expected. Even his own team mates would be caught off guard with the vision he had.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
When i see topics like this I tend to think of players like Gary Neville. Not blessed with any outrageous talents or physical gifts, but managed to forge an outstanding career because he figured out how to be the best he could be. That's football intelligence

Redfrog

I am surprised not to see more mentions to Messi.
He is obviously a genius like a poster said. Always seeing things in advance. You can’t be this good without being so intelligent at the same time.

I liked Scholes a lot as a player. He was always making the right choices. Very cold headed and intelligent player.

SirMonteyne

Philipp Lahm is the most intelligent player I have ever seen. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a danger detector in his brain. He always finds dangerous areas whether it's attacking or defending.
He is the man if you ever need someone who can defend alone against two players one-two. Left or right it doesn't matter he just controls his lane, teams don't play against him even if it's Barcelona with Messi, Xavi, and Iniesta. Most dominant full-back ever IMO.

RashyGiggsy

I think that it would be even more interesting to talk about which current United players have good footballing IQ.

Definitely, as a few have mentioned, Casemiro is a very intelligent footballer. I'd put Erickson and Varane up there close, maybe not quite at Casemiro's level, but close. Martinez certainly has good football IQ and he is young and will only keep learning. Since Ten Hag has arrived, I'd say that Rashford has progressed in his footballing intelligence quite a bit also. Players like Fred, Shaw, and Dalot, I'd rate as being above average in their football IQ. I believe that has been something that Ten Hag has brought to the team: he has increased the overall footballing intelligence of the team.

tomaldinho1

When i see topics like this I tend to think of players like Gary Neville. Not blessed with any outrageous talents or physical gifts, but managed to forge an outstanding career because he figured out how to be the best he could be. That's football intelligence
Yeah agreed, I think some of the nominees are just great footballers and aren't that clever on the pitch - I'd say a player who doesn't have the best technical or physical ability but manages to play top flight football is really understanding the niche they fill in a team and keeping out more naturally gifted players. Someone like Kuyt I'd say is a good shout, played multiple positions at the top domestic and international level but was never individually that incredible a player.

Martinez is a another shout from current football - too small, not particularly fast but excels in all areas (even aerially) with and without the ball.

IFC 1905

Enzo Fernandez has an inmense football IQ for a 22 years old. With the experience, he will be Modric-esque or Veron-esque, who make the top of my list of intelligent midfielders.

Alek M

Da manic one
I think people mix talent and intelligence. Rooney had talent. But he did not have high iq. Especially early on. He would run all the way to rb position to pick up a ball. He was all over the field which made him ineffective in the role he was put as a striker. It got better as it went on. Pirlo and Scholes they were extremely talented players that sprayed passes at will due to their superior talent.

I think Giggs was a very smart player.

Modric is an example of a player that is getting older but because he uses his iq, he winds ways to outsmart faster and stronger players around him and get into pockets of space and make the right passes.

Maldini also. As he got older he used his experience and iq to compete at a high level.

Messi is up there. KDB is another one. Casemiro too. Kane also amazes me for someone so slow how he outsmarts his defenders.

ThatDutchPerson

Supports
FC Groningen
If you were lucky enough to watch him play: Michael Laudrup ahead of everybody.

After that: Pirlo, Lothar Matthaus, and the always criminally forgotten Clarence Seedorf.

Of the more recent ones: Xavi, Modric, Sneijder, Schweinsteiger.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Almost forgot Xabi Alonso: the way he could read the play either defending or attacking is amazing, and how easy it seems to play out of pressure with him on your team.

Roberto Carlos was also left out, despite him being clever enough to make something out of nothing due to his insane accurate passing.

Nori-

Although he's from the wrong side of town, I always liked David Silva.

Such a smart player and never looked flustered.

He doesn't get the praise he deserves outside of the City fanbase.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Almost forgot Xabi Alonso: the way he could read the play either defending or attacking is amazing, and how easy it seems to play out of pressure with him on your team.

Roberto Carlos was also left out, despite him being clever enough to make something out of nothing due to his insane accurate passing.
Roberto Carlos for me seemed to make too many blunders defending for me to consider him as having a high football IQ. But perhaps im just cherry picking some games. I didnt watch him consistently.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Roberto Carlos for me seemed to make too many blunders defending for me to consider him as having a high football IQ. But perhaps im just cherry picking some games. I didnt watch him consistently.
I agree tat defensively he was too much overconfident on his own abilities, but his ability to pinpoint any kind of pass and to make something ut of nothing was pure joy. And his throw-ins were also legendary.

Ddannidom

Yet to mention Ozil. He was an assist machine (In his hey days). Never seen a player measure his final ball into the eighteen yard box so accurately weighted its breath taking. He could assist closing his eyes.
Looks like he closed his eyes most times.

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
Seedorf
Socrates
Pirlo
Pele
Zidane
Laudrup
Savecivic

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I saw an interview in Latin America a while ago where they asked the same question to the Brazilian national side and they all unanimously named Casemiro one time, saying that they all play and have played with the greatest footballers in the world, and that Casemiro is the man. I've started watching him off the ball on certain pitch wide angles and you can really get an idea of the flow and understanding of a match by watching him. I don't really know how to describe it properly.