Most successful manager - player partnerships

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Paisley and Rush.

Paisley bought him in 79 and in the 80/81 Rush was getting a few games and wasnt taking his chances. He apparantly stormed into Paisleys office and demanded to know why he keeps on getting dropped. Paisley says ' I bought you to score goals so go and score goals'. Rush stormed out with a cob on thinking ' right I'll show him'.

The rest is history.

Sonnet XVII

From that ones that haven't been mentioned thus far, Casillas and Del Bosque, surely? Not in the Michels-Cruyff sphere of aggregate influence, and their relationship ebbed and flowed, but the combined success they had speaks for itself: 2 Champions League titles, 2 La Liga titles and 1 Intercontinental Cup with Madrid - and then a World Cup title and a European Championship with Spain, albeit after Aragonés set the ball rolling in 2008. All things considered that's the Royal Flush for achievement in the modern era.

Meazza/Combi and Pozzo is another one that comes to mind. To be fair, they were incredible players at domestic level as well, but Pozzo heralded one of the most sustained periods of success for that era with them at the forefront after sidelining Baloncieri. There are a couple of noteworthy partnerships involving Sebes as well...and, Bukovi-Hidegkuti: decent success in terms of winning titles...nothing extraordinary, but they had a profound influence on football with the innovation surrounding the deep forward ~ False 9 ~ #10 position and the evolution of the WW and 4–2–4 setups, and totaalvoetbal in general considering it was still in a primordial state at the time.

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
Phil Neal, Paisley - 3 European Cups, and loads more (Neal has 4)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The problem with this thread and a lot of the players mentioned is that they were great irrespective of manager and it's just happenstance they combined with a manager they won things under.

What you need is players who didn't do much before the manager in question sprinkled magic dust on them, and even better for a thread like this, didn't do much after parting ways, either.

Mourinho and the Inter players like Milito and Materrazzi are great examples, i think.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The problem with this thread and a lot of the players mentioned is that they were great irrespective of manager and it's just happenstance they combined with a manager they won things under.

What you need is players who didn't do much before the manager in question sprinkled magic dust on them, and even better for a thread like this, didn't do much after parting ways, either.

Mourinho and the Inter players like Milito and Materrazzi are great examples, i think.
Milito was really good at Zaragoza and Genoa while Materazzi wasn't a starter for Inter under Mourinho.

SER19

Because of the toxicity of the end it’s underrated that the working relationship of keane and Ferguson was unstoppable. Keane evolved hugely at united and Ferguson’s approach to the game gave keane something of a free reign to be the captain he wanted to be between 98 and 01 especially. Other managers might have tried to reign him in a bit, and keane wouldn’t have coped with managers that lacked his drive.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Milito was really good at Zaragoza and Genoa while Materazzi wasn't a starter for Inter under Mourinho.
But did you expect Milito to elevate to be a CL-winning superstar striker who was arguably the best striker of a season?

JPRouve

Scout
But did you expect Milito to elevate to be a CL-winning superstar striker who was arguably the best striker of a season?
For me he didn't elevate himself he was playing at a similar level. The difference is in how people perceived him not how he performed and he wasn't and still isn't perceived as a superstar striker. Recently the same thing happened with Umtiti who was underrated and the move to Barcelona put him under the spotlights.

RochaRoja

Arsène Wenger and Thierry Henry
Bobby Robson and Ronaldo
Fabio Capello and Emerson
Martin O’Neill and Neil Lennon
Arrigo Sacchi and Franco Baresi, Paolo Maldini
Marcelo Lippi and Gigi Buffon
José Mourinho and Ricardo Carvalho
Vicente del Bosque and Iker Casillas
Udo Lattek and Jupp Heynckes, Allan Simonsen
Brian Clough and John McGovern

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
For me he didn't elevate himself he was playing at a similar level. The difference is in how people perceived him not how he performed and he wasn't and still isn't perceived as a superstar striker. Recently the same thing happened with Umtiti who was underrated and the move to Barcelona put him under the spotlights.
That's fair enough. You don't think he's dropped off since Mourinho left, from what he was that season, i mean.

JPRouve

Scout
That's fair enough. You don't think he's dropped off since Mourinho left, from what he was that season, i mean.
Well, Milito was at the end of his career so obviously he dropped off, the Benitez season was bad for almost everyone but iirc he was good the following season and useful after that. Bear in mind that he was 30 when he joined Inter.

simplyared

Because of the toxicity of the end it’s underrated that the working relationship of keane and Ferguson was unstoppable. Keane evolved hugely at united and Ferguson’s approach to the game gave keane something of a free reign to be the captain he wanted to be between 98 and 01 especially. Other managers might have tried to reign him in a bit, and keane wouldn’t have coped with managers that lacked his drive.
Ferguson and Keane is a great example of what the OP is about. Hope they managed to come to terms with the dispute they had. Although I doubt they ever did.
Keane actually said Brian Clough was a better manager than Sir Alex. Sounds like he's as bitter as feck thinking he was badly done too towards the end by the club.

SER19

Ferguson and Keane is a great example of what the OP is about. Hope they managed to come to terms with the dispute they had. Although I doubt they ever did.
Keane actually said Brian Clough was a better manager than Sir Alex. Sounds like he's as bitter as feck thinking he was badly done too towards the end by the club.
I remember a recentish interview where keane seemed as angry as ever about fergie, it’s a shame but what they achieved together will outlast them both

simplyared

Even though he was decent before I think at 32 he's putting in some great performances for his club and is probably playing the best football of his career. I would put a lot of that down to his manager. Would maybe suit the combo you're looking for?
Klopp: Milner