Motormouth for McLaren in 2005

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
McLaren have pulled off a major coup by signing Colombian ace Juan Pablo Montoya for the 2005 Formula One season.
McLaren are determined to wrestle the balance of power in Formula One away from Ferrari and have signalled their intent by persuading Montoya to walk out on Williams.

"We want to win races and World Championships and in order to do so we have to plan for the future whilst applying every effort in the short term," commented Ron Dennis, CEO and chairman of McLaren on their website.

"The opportunity to sign a talent like Juan Pablo was too good to miss and there is already a considerable amount of anticipation within our team about 2005.

"We are certainly looking forward to seeing what he can do in one of our cars and I believe that it's a prospect that can't fail to excite Formula One fans around the world."

The current McLaren team consists of Scottish racer David Coulthard and Finnish ace Kimi Raikkonen, but the arrival in 2005 of Montoya could cast a shadow over the long term future of Coulthard in the team as Raikkonen emerged as the biggest rival to Michael Schumacher last season.

Montoya is clearly looking forward to the challenge, as he said: "I am thrilled to be joining Team McLaren Mercedes.

"It's a great opportunity for me and I'm really looking forward to the first time I will be able to drive one of their cars.

"To join them is an amazing challenge and experience which I plan to fully enjoy.

"However, my short term aim is to concentrate 100 percent on winning the 2004 World Championship."

MelvinYeo

I just hope he doesn't become no.1 at McLaren just like that.

Kimi will still be no.1,hopefully

beycont

Hmmm...good driver and Mclaren will be stronger with him. It would create a great competitive atmosphere within the Mclaren camp with 2 very good drivers. I think it will be an interesting combination.

Snoeker

beycont said:
Hmmm...good driver and Mclaren will be stronger with him. It would create a great competitive atmosphere within the Mclaren camp with 2 very good drivers. I think it will be an interesting combination.

Prost and Senna mk2?

RUnited

Gold Member
Cal said:
Schumi will still be the man to beat... :devil:
Yes Sir I believe he would. :devil:

What's going to happen to Coulthard I wonder.... Williams will want his services I presume.. but they do tend to come up with good prospects, so I won't be surprised if they bring someone new into the team...

MelvinYeo

RUnited said:
Yes Sir I believe he would. :devil:

What's going to happen to Coulthard I wonder.... Williams will want his services I presume.. but they do tend to come up with good prospects, so I won't be surprised if they bring someone new into the team...
Barrichello is also rumoured,with Alonso replacing him.

People linked are DC,Nico Rosberg,Nelsinho Piquet,Webber,Villeneuve :eek:,Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen.

I would love to see Fisichella in a top car

Sir A1ex

Melvinyeo said:
Nelson Piquet's son.
Well he would hardly be Nigel Mansell's... ;)

Seriously, though - is ther any sport with more nepotism than motor racing? Even with my limited knowledge I can think of the Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Piquet and Andretti clans...

RUnited

Gold Member
Melvinyeo said:
Barrichello is also rumoured,with Alonso replacing him.

People linked are DC,Nico Rosberg,Nelsinho Piquet,Webber,Villeneuve :eek:,Fisichella and Heikki Kovalainen.

I would love to see Fisichella in a top car
If my suspicion is correct Williams will surprise everyone with a new face driver. Much like what they did when they brought in Montoya.

So I guess that will rule out DC, Barrichello and Villnueve.

DC will be hot property when he's released though. I think it's McClaren's faults he didn't perform last season. Won't be surprised to see him drive for Renault while Alonso takes up Barrichello's seat. Barrichello may take over Schumacher's top role at Ferrari.

Man, this Montoya this is going to create a domino effect on the whole industry!

Cal?

CR7 fan
I heard that Michael has offered Ralf Barrichello's job at Ferrari. :eek:

RUnited

Gold Member
Cal said:
I heard that Michael has offered Ralf Barrichello's job at Ferrari. :eek:
I thought has already said sometime ago that he doesn't want to be in the same team as his brother? I could be wrong though.

If it does happen then THAT's what I call a motormouth!