Mourinho Post Match Comments

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
can anyone recollect the last time Mou lost a match and it wasn't the referees fault?
I couldn't care less about blaming the referee, however throwing his players under the bus came at the first possible opportunity, I expected it to come, but not that early.

MartialsBeard

It was the problem. Yes, De Bruyne made some good runs down the channels, but there were countless times Silva and De Bruyne picked up the ball in behind our midfield.

Jose knew there was a problem. This is why Jose put Herrera on in the second half. It was so we could go man for man with City in midfield and have someone in front of our back four. Apart from counter's in the second half, which was going to be inevitable as we were pushing for the goal, City didn't really pose a threat.
THIS the game was a lot tighter than I think a lot of people are giving credit to and we rallied impressively in the second half we were by no means battered and that game could really have gone either way.

If we had started the game the way we played in the second we would be talking about a different game.

I think we have to put this down to individuals simply failing when we needed them most, we had nothing on the wings as those players were miscontrolling and losing the ball to easily, and when we got into the final third Rooney was extremely slow to move the ball into the wide areas again, perhaps giving time to the wingers to sort their lives out.

None of this was due to tactical set up and Jose absolutely did not set up to be defensive at all, he set up to play the opposition and was let down by some of the worst performances I have seen for some time in a United shirt, Lingard and to a lesser extent Miki were hopeless.

MartialsBeard

I couldn't care less about blaming the referee, however throwing his players under the bus came at the first possible opportunity, I expected it to come, but not that early.
Im sorry but when it is deserved then what else are you meant to do? I doubt Jose tole Lingard to let the ball run under his feet or Miki to hang onto the ball when crowded on the flanks or Rooney to take his time on the transition. The loss was down to the players this time.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Im sorry but when it is deserved then what else are you meant to do? I doubt Jose tole Lingard to let the ball run under his feet or Miki to hang onto the ball when crowded on the flanks or Rooney to take his time on the transition. The loss was down to the players this time.
Well then almost any loss is down to players as they are the ones on the pitch. Doesn't mean a manager has to single them out immediately.

Do it a few more times and the players will stop taking him seriously like it happened at Chelsea.

parisite

Yes and no. For me neither Lingard, who'd played just one minute in the 3 games before, nor Miki who'd been injured and doubtful before the game should have started. It was just plain madness, an I'm the boss around here statement from José. What was wrong with Mata who's played all 3 games before ? José seems to be completely irrational on occasions and just does things which are difficult to comprehend, like just casting aside Schweinsteiger just for the sake of doing it seemingly.

MartialsBeard

Well then almost any loss is down to players as they are the ones on the pitch. Doesn't mean a manager has to single them out immediately.

Do it a few more times and the players will stop taking him seriously like it happened at Chelsea.
I have to disagree, the players must know that the performance in the first half was an utter disgrace and absolutely unacceptable, Jose repeatedly said post match that the loss was down to him, it was his fault but we all know and it was clear to see the players let him down. Its not like they didnt want to play and they would have said to him they feel fresh and sharp enough to play. They looked almost a week or two out from being match ready (Lingard/Miki). If we go through the season pussy footing around players they will never buck up their trends, if they want to help, want to improve they will have to be men and show Jose they can play and prove him wrong.

As it stands Memphis, Mata, Martial and Rashford have inherited the wide positions and Lingard and MiKI only have themselves to blame. The manager has given his honest response to their performances and it is now down to them to impress again.

SteveW

This is typical Mourinho. He says he doesn't take players off in the first half because he doesn't want to destroy them, yet as soon as the game is over he's straight over to the media claiming they didn't have the mental strength to handle the occasion. There's no need for it. It serves no purpose other than protecting his ego.

SteveW

It's also frustrating that his main tactic for playing against Pep still seems to be trying to play like Stoke.

MartialsBeard

Yes and no. For me neither Lingard, who'd played just one minute in the 3 games before, nor Miki who'd been injured and doubtful before the game should have started. It was just plain madness, an I'm the boss around here statement from José. What was wrong with Mata who's played all 3 games before ? José seems to be completely irrational on occasions and just does things which are difficult to comprehend, like just casting aside Schweinsteiger just for the sake of doing it seemingly.
I completely agree with this, they shouldnt have started and that is probably why he says its his fault. He should have known, what he was trying to do made sense, Lingard and Miki are more defensively sound than the other options and offer pace going forwards its an easy decision to have them start, the issue is both players were no where near ready to start.

But at the same time they were selected and if they felt they couldnt perform it is their responsibility to let the manager know, however if they do play, the level of the performances were so so bad I dont think anyone could have envisioned the incompetence on show. It was freakish in its nature and the players have to be the ones we blame as no player in a derby should play that badly especially Lingard who has played in important games for us alot.

MartialsBeard

It's also frustrating that his main tactic for playing against Pep still seems to be trying to play like Stoke.
We had them pinned back and only attacking on the break, it nullifies their first wave of pressure, if we had played that way in the first half we wouldnt have lost the ball so often in the middle of the park.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
If the players won't or can't follow the instructions of a manager they actually respect, what light does it cast on the rubbish we've heard from United and England stalwarts in recent times?:

"He's banned chips!"
"He sent us lot of tactical emails...which we ignored."
"I decided to take corners, not matter what the boss instructed."

It's f*cking pathetic, and it's long overdue that these complacent, arrogant and entitled players heard some truth from a United/national manager. If that translates to 'throwing them under the bus' then it's a bus they should have been on some time ago; away from United. If SAF, in his autumn years, were still manager, they'd be effectively taking the piss out of him too by deed or word - hell, even the great Bobby Robson got called names behind his back by that era's 'golden generation' of overrated, thick pillocks. At some time - and this is especially important as yet another United boss feels the pressure caused by his players' underperformance - players have to be held to account.

Adebesi

If the players won't or can't follow the instructions of a manager they actually respect, what light does it cast on the rubbish we've heard from United and England stalwarts in recent times?:

"He's banned chips!"

It's f*cking pathetic, and it's long overdue that these complacent, arrogant and entitled players heard some truth from a United/national manager. If that translates to 'throwing them under the bus' then it's a bus they should have been on some time ago; away from United. If SAF, in his autumn years, were still manager, they'd be effectively taking the piss out of him too by deed or word - hell, even the great Bobby Robson got called names behind his back by that era's 'golden generation' of overrated, thick pillocks. At some time - and this is especially important as yet another United boss feels the pressure caused by his players' underperformance - players have to be held to account.
Nobody is saying the manager shouldnt be hard on / tough with the players. The question is whether doing it publicly is effective, or counter productive. Again, SAF was known to lay down the law and demand complete respect from the players. But he didnt come out and accuse his players - including a new signing in his first competitive start - of lacking the bottle for a big game.

Maybe it will be fine. Maybe these are the kinds of players who will rise to that kind of challenge, maybe Mourinho considered that before he spoke. At this stage Ill give him the benefit of the doubt.

BlakeUtd

I didnt know where else to talk about this but he has really been publicly critical of players after the match. Like in this article about the feynoord game he explicitly compares Rashfords composure in big games to Mikhi. Its coming off as very bitter and I hope it doesn't kill Mikis confidence

SteveJ

Scout
Adebesi said:
Nobody is saying the manager shouldnt be hard on / tough with the players. The question is whether doing it publicly is effective, or counter productive. Again, SAF was known to lay down the law and demand complete respect from the players. But he didnt come out and accuse his players - including a new signing in his first competitive start - of lacking the bottle for a big game.
Fair points. But even the youngest of them has years of football-experience though - this should harden them to public criticism. I note that the England squad has latched on to the useful excuse of 'fear of failure and of negative press' to wash away justified criticism lately.

Jackylad

Nicely put.

At what point did the players become so sensitive that they can't be criticised in public for fear of shattering their confidence?

Maybe that's the mark of a player who doesn't have the big game mentality? Players being overawed by the occasion, do we really want them in our team if we're going to get back to winning trophies habitually again?

TheReligion

Abusive
Some of you are far too precious these days. If you play poorly sometimes a few harsh words are what you need to kick on and prove the manager wrong. He's only saying what we were all saying.

No issue whatsoever and judging by the comments from some of the players post game they have accepted it and seem ready to improve.

Close thread.

KGBhoy

Not a lot of people figured out how to play against Pep's teams. It looked like in the second half the "hoofball" almost worked. I would also argue that it wasn't all completely brainless hoofball - just long balls into wide areas.
It remains to be seen if anyone will actually figure out how to play against him. As a Barca follower, I loved how Pep repeatedly schooled Mourinho, so I don't feel good about the future derbies.

Adebesi

Some of you are far too precious these days. If you play poorly sometimes a few harsh words are what you need to kick on and prove the manager wrong. He's only saying what we were all saying.

No issue whatsoever and judging by the comments from some of the players post game they have accepted it and seem ready to improve.

Close thread.
You are probably right and I certainly hope so. Time will tell.

RedPnutz

"He's banned chips!"

Maybe the younger generation of fans and players are just too precious. Some criticism - ooh you throwing me under the bus, so offended.

Mourinho himself highlights it was his fault as well. Everyone with eyes could see that Lingard and Mhki were playing poorly - Mourinho didn't need to throw them under. They hid there themselves.

RedPnutz

Not a lot of people figured out how to play against Pep's teams. It looked like in the second half the "hoofball" almost worked. I would also argue that it wasn't all completely brainless hoofball - just long balls into wide areas.
It remains to be seen if anyone will actually figure out how to play against him. As a Barca follower, I loved how Pep repeatedly schooled Mourinho, so I don't feel good about the future derbies.
It's funny this over the top aversion to the so-called hoofball by certain section of fans. It is as valid a tactic as other, and I for one prefer the ability to switch around.

SteveJ

Scout
Maybe the younger generation of fans and players are just too precious. Some criticism - ooh you throwing me under the bus, so offended.
The youngsters are the traditional scapegoats, and are the first to cop the blame from media pundits with a vested interest in 'protecting' the old guard who are no longer fit for purpose.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Sometimes I read things on the CAF that make me feel old.

I remember Sir Alex criticising performances publicly e.g. Nani after our elimination from the 2012/13 League Cup. Particularly after embarrassing cup defeats Fergie would declare some players would never play for United again, and low and behold they got sold soon after. He did this routinely throughout his career. All the way back to publicly berating Aberdeen after winning a Cup final!

I remember Sir Alex going ultra defensive. Just look at how we lost the title at Wastelands in 2011/12 having lost 1-0 after setting up for a draw and being ultra cautious.

I remember Sir Alex attacking referees after games, refusing to speak to the BBC for years, getting fined, defending our players going in hard on other sides.

Then I read our fans bellyache about Mourinho and I think to myself 'have some of these just not seen Manchester United for as many years as I have?' Genuine question because some caftards seem to think Fergie was just some kindly old Grandpa. Apparently calling your players out for being bad is wrong, playing on the counter is unprecedented at United, attacking the referees is 'classless'. Its like the twilight zone.

Mourinho didn't do anything we haven't seen loads of times as United fans. We had Fergie as our flipping manager! Yes, he mellowed a bit with age. Not that much though. I don't really see anything wrong with Mourinho post game comments. He told the truth. About the players, about his choices being wrong (something he explicitly said), about why he didn't correct his errors, and about the bloody ref! Why the tears?

CG1010

"He's banned chips!"

Absolutely agree, it's about time we set a benchmark for players. But he has to do the same with respect to Rooney else I feel the other players wouldn't respect what he says.

TheReligion

Abusive

I remember Sir Alex criticising performances publicly e.g. Nani after our elimination from the 2012/13 League Cup. Particularly after embarrassing cup defeats Fergie would declare some players would never play for United again, and low and behold they got sold soon after. He did this routinely throughout his career. All the way back to publicly berating Aberdeen after winning a Cup final!

I remember Sir Alex going ultra defensive. Just look at how we lost the title at Wastelands in 2011/12 having lost 1-0 after setting up for a draw and being ultra cautious.

I remember Sir Alex attacking referees after games, refusing to speak to the BBC for years, getting fined, defending our players going in hard on other sides.

Then I read our fans bellyache about Mourinho and I think to myself 'have some of these just not seen Manchester United for as many years as I have?' Genuine question because some caftards seem to think Fergie was just some kindly old Grandpa. Apparently calling your players out for being bad is wrong, playing on the counter is unprecedented at United, attacking the referees is 'classless'. Its like the twilight zone.

Mourinho didn't do anything we haven't seen loads of times as United fans. We had Fergie as our flipping manager! Yes, he mellowed a bit with age. Not that much though. I don't really see anything wrong with Mourinho post game comments. He told the truth. About the players, about his choices being wrong (something he explicitly said), about why he didn't correct his errors, and about the bloody ref! Why the tears?
Spot on.

pixel

Well said.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems that some fans have already made their minds up regarding some aspects of Mourinho's personality. I don't see anything wrong with what he said, the players have had it easy for three years now, it's always the managers fault and never theirs.

It's time for some of them to show their character, react to his comments and prove him wrong. If they can't do that then they simply don't have the right mindset for this club, like @SteveJ said.

EyeInTheSky

THIS the game was a lot tighter than I think a lot of people are giving credit to and we rallied impressively in the second half we were by no means battered and that game could really have gone either way.

If we had started the game the way we played in the second we would be talking about a different game.

I think we have to put this down to individuals simply failing when we needed them most, we had nothing on the wings as those players were miscontrolling and losing the ball to easily, and when we got into the final third Rooney was extremely slow to move the ball into the wide areas again, perhaps giving time to the wingers to sort their lives out.

None of this was due to tactical set up and Jose absolutely did not set up to be defensive at all, he set up to play the opposition and was let down by some of the worst performances I have seen for some time in a United shirt, Lingard and to a lesser extent Miki were hopeless.
Pretty much

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Some of our players are in for a surprise after this game.

Don't think that Mou will tolerate anyone being just there for the number.

Adebesi

Well if he's planning on selling Miki that's one thing. Assuming he's planning on giving him a bit more time to settle the public humiliation doesn't look like the way SAF would have handled it.

Stretford End Phil

Did we really need to be told by Jose that some of the players didn't follow the game plan? Pretty obvious a few froze and were off their game.

We ain't selling players after one game otherwise Depay would have gone ages ago.

Jose was grumpy and thats fair enough. His game plan went out the window.

Next game.