Mourinho vs De Boer: Clash of Words

Ban

De Boer is a pundit, thought Mourinho doesn't care what pundits say. Stop commenting so, always causing unnecessary drama imo.
So whoever wants can shit on Mourinho, yet he needs to let it go every time?
And he is causing drama not the folks who are criticizing him non stop..?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De Boer was a much better player than Mourinho though. ;)

SirAnderson

Lets all make believe Mourinho didn't get pelters on here for his pettiness whilst manager of Chelsea.
Such a pity we have gormless posters like you.
Never-mind, you not. You have the right to say what you want, but I take it that is a hurtful thing to say yeah? Well class or not, when someone says something like that you going to respond, and I think Jose was well in his rights to do so, just like Fergie did it many times over, and please don't give me that "Fergie did it with class" crap, some of the things he said was said to purely to hurt the other person, exactly what Jose felt and wanted De Boer to feel.

RedStarUnited

Rare bit of honesty from the football world there. I love it to be honest.

I want the likes of Messi and Ronaldo to come out and say the same things when lesser players judge them.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
It was an attack on Jose. You can't say 'It's a pity that the manager is Mourinho' and claim that it's not a personal attack. That's exactly what it is. And if he's entitled to his views on Jose's management, then Jose's also entitled to air his views on De Boer.

No one is writing off De Boer's accomplishments as a player, and you yourself agree he's a poor manager and pundit. So exactly what's your problem with the comments in the thread?
Not every sort of mild criticism or difference in philosophy is an "attack". The comments I take issue with are ones like this one:

How does Frank De Boer end up getting punditry work anyway? Surely a man who as Jose said lost 7 matches out of 7 without scoring a single goal isnt qualified to analyse football? I would happily bet money that a vast majority of the caf could set that palace team up to at least score a goal on individual quality alone.

I don't follow. Mourinho didn't fire back at De Boer, the footballer. His comment hit the mark on De Boer the pundit and football coach which you agreed your self is poor. Just because Murray baited doesn't mean as guest pundit you had to bite and gave an agenda driven opinion.
Not everything is a conspiracy or "agenda". This was merely a (misinformed) comment based on Mourinho's past tendencies regarding young footballers, which in this particular case wasn't necessarily accurate.

I just love how you are pointing out the fact he only managed 4 PL games rather than 7, which actually makes things even worst. He did not even last 7 PL games!
tbh that was a little tongue in cheek, pointing out the fact that de boer is accused of either being uninformed or misrepresenting the statistics on Rashford's playing time, when Mourinho here does the same with De Boer's (admittedly horrendous) premier league record.

Also a subtle dig at the end ‘less impressively, Blind’ :lol:. Who was one of Ajax’s best players before he left
Someone called AjaxSuarez is defending De Boer taking a dig at Mourinho, what a surprise!
I'm a massive fan of Daley Blind, just didn't want to look like I was placing him in the same tier as those other three when I know opinions on him here are divided. Also I'm not "defending De Boer's dig at Mourinho", I'm disputing the notion that it was meant as a dig at all, and questioning the necessity of such a response by Mourinho.

That username. He doesn't even need to say it out loud. Epitomizes everything against us.:lol:
The username I registered way before Suarez joined Liverpool epitomises everything against you?

These comments, imo, further strengthen the point I made about blind partisanship in this thread, and on topics like these in general. I've already made it clear I'm not a fan of De Boer as a manager or pundit, and I'd hope being a fan of Mourinho and United wouldn't prevent so many from looking beyond their initial defensive reaction to the, in my eyes, fairly innocuous comments by De Boer, and from questioning, or at least discussing, the necessity of this level of response, or even really a response at all, from Mourinho.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

People seem to be taking this as some sort of attack on mourinho as a whole rather than what it was

Murray had been talking about Rashford's run up to the world cup and started the idea of lack of playing time

I'd agree that what De Boer said in this instance is on the rather misinformed side, though he goes on to give fair points regarding the arrival of Sanchez

Very thin skin on Mourinho's part to respond like this though. Also equally misrepresenting the statistical truth, which is that De Boer only managed 4 PL games, not 7.

Also think this tendency to completely write off someone like De Boer's accomplishments and standing out of blind partisanship, as in this thread, is laughable.

What I will say is that De Boer is a very poor manager though, delusional about the way his own teams play(ed), and the things he says regarding football, and Ajax in particular, as a pundit never fail to baffle me.

On the other hand he's a very sympathetic man who lacks some subtlety in the way he says things, particularly in English, and to fight his corner a little he does have a solid track-record of top-class Premier League players developing under his management, such as Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen, and, though less impressive than the others, Blind.
Then don't say anything about it if you don't know surely? As opposed to saying "It's a pity he's playing under this manager". How is Mourinho meant to take that as anything other than insulting, not only is it a down right lie but it's undermining. Luckily I think Rashford is grounded and smart enough to not be caught up in this shite.

The problem with pundits is they just follow the same rhetoric without any factual basis.

Look at Rashford’s appearances and it’s clear he has been involved significantly over the last two seasons. I keep hearing ‘he hasn’t started since December’ and they all just ignore the fact he was injured for a while. It amazes me how much some of these pundits are on and they are not up to date with this information.

Why doesn’t Pep get asked about not starting Stones? Or the fact he replaced him with another £60m defender of a similar age.

Why does Conte never get asked why he doesn’t start any of the Youth academy players when they have about 30 players out on loan.

I wish Jose would just come out with this stuff like this. Do a Sir Alex and tell them to report the truth or feck off. Ban them from the media events at Old Trafford if you have to. I can see why Jose looks fed up in his interviews these days. He doesn’t get praise for anything. We have just won 3 games in a row, including 2 top 4 rivals. And all the questions have negative spin on them.
Exactly, I was watching BT Sport and it pissed me off more than usual, De Boer having a go. These pundits get paid so much money and they make no effort to do any research, they come on and just trudge out the same agenda driven shite. I don't blame Mourinho at all for having a go, in fact I'm really glad he did. You wouldn't think Rashford has made 93 appearances under Mourinho the way some of these pundits talk. He's 20 years old but he should be starting every week apparently? Then you'll have some other gimp pundit having a go at Mourinho for not playing Martial. They just stick to a narrative and regardless of what is actually going on, continue with it, all the while completely ignoring what's going on elsewhere, e.g John Stones at Man City like you said. I'd like to see more managers do this to be honest, call out these pundits on their horseshit and abuse them back in the process.

wimdebok

Supports
Ajax
Are there no other things for Mourinho to bother about? Spending millions and coming up with this lousy football. That's a shame. Far more important then the remarks of Frank de Boer.

Frank Grimes

i
Such a pity we have gormless posters like you.
Never-mind, you not. You have the right to say what you want, but I take it that is a hurtful thing to say yeah? Well class or not, when someone says something like that you going to respond, and I think Jose was well in his rights to do so, just like Fergie did it many times over, and please don't give me that "Fergie did it with class" crap, some of the things he said was said to purely to hurt the other person, exactly what Jose felt and wanted De Boer to feel.
Just responding to this to show the white text.

Nik70

Ferguson had class, Mourinho's responses often lacks class. Small detail.
That's not what some people said about Ferguson in his time. What do you expect Mourinho to do with all the vitriol he is subject to? Maybe some of it is deserved but I don't blame him for biting back. If you're a pundit with an opinion about a manager that is potentially derisive the manager has a right to respond in kind. I'm sure there are some managers that would respond with 'more class' as you put it but the nonsense that Mourinho has put up with the media at times is ridiculous.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
@Frank Grimes you are having a meltdown here for absolutely no reason. Mourinho insulted someone who insulted him. Go cry me a river.

If someone had taken a stab at our style or our performances then fair enough. But FDB made it personal against Mourinho. If someone does that then it’s game for a response IMO.

You keep bleeting on about Ferguson but 1) How many people personally attacked him as a coach or manager? and 2) Are you oblivious to his responses when they did?

I loved Fergie when he trashed other managers, when he trashed players who came at him, when he banned plonkers from our media room, and anyone else including pundits. And I love when Mourinho does it too.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How anyone can say Ferguson has 'class' is beyond me, he's the opposite of class. No nonsense, honest, working class man.

Fergie was a proper fighter, and his contrasting personality to Wenger was obvious. Wenger is a man with 'class'.

If you provoked Fergie, he would put you in your place. He banned reporters if they didn't behave the way he wanted! He is a machiavellian man, a master at manipulating people to do what he wants.

SirAnderson

Your point wouldn't have been shown otherwise. I don't agree with it but it deserved airing.
I knew the moment I engaged with you, it would always be the case of agreeing to disagree. Very hard to change peoples thinking, and in your case I see it being no different.

I for one though, am open to changing my mind, just as how I changed my mind when Jose came on board.

What I do agree with you is that many of us couldn't stand Jose's antics when he was at Chelsea, but at the same time still acknowledged he was good at mind games. Now that he is our manager, its kind of the case of he is no longer just a (for lack of a better word) prick but "now his our prick" argument. Whether you like what he says or not, will always be a very personal thing, but at least be open to acknowledge that he is well in his right to responded to De Boers comment that was downright hurtful to say, regardless of the context.

Also, for you to just blatantly say that Fergie didn't do it, or when he did, he did it with class is just lame imo, as many on here have already shown you statements of what you would term "classless" jibes at pundits, managers etc if it was Jose saying the exact same words. So why not admit that maybe they are right and give Jose some benefit of the doubt.

IF he were to do something that is definitely inexcusable as a "Manchester United Manager", like say, poke another manager in the eye, I'm right with you in saying his classless, but for me, so far, he deserves the self created award of "best behaved manager in the EPL" especially considering his history of being a known "prick" as many though of him when at Chelsea.

Frank Grimes

@Frank Grimes you are having a meltdown here for absolutely no reason. Mourinho insulted someone who insulted him. Go cry me a river.

If someone had taken a stab at our style or our performances then fair enough. But FDB made it personal against Mourinho. If someone does that then it’s game for a response IMO.

You keep bleeting on about Ferguson but 1) How many people personally attacked him as a coach or manager? and 2) Are you oblivious to his responses when they did?
I'm just giving my honest opinion about an aspect of Mourinho I have never liked, simple as that. That's my last word on it though.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What’s the point though?
In this thread there is no point. Mourinho did nothing wrong, he got attacked for no good reason instead of being praised for helping Rashford regaining confidence.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
In this thread there is no point. Mourinho did nothing wrong, he got attacked for no good reason instead of being praised for helping Rashford regaining confidence.
That’s the thing that irritates me. Rashford has been more productive this year than last and has played a shit load of games.

And look at Lingard. A guy who will be going to the WC and potentially even starting cos of Mourinho.

So good on Mourinho for bashing bullshit opinions which are based on absolutely no facts.

ColvaleGoa

Good on Mourinho. Destroyed DeBoer in one fell swoop. This pundits are allowed to get away with murder. They will think twice now about making unsubstantiated comments. That comment by DeBoer was out of order!!

red_devil83

Savage put down. A bit over the top imo.

I think De Boer just meant that other managers would start Rashford more often but he's forgetting we have Martial who's been better. Pretty stupid thing to say really.

Adebesi

I'm struggling to remember a time SAF attacked a pundit like that. Other managers yes. Ban journalists from his briefings yes. But did he go after pundits for giving their opinions in post match coverage - as they are paid to do? Can't remember. Maybe though.

It's a very good response from Mourinho in terms of being absolutely withering. Strikes me as a bit unnecessary though. Not that I'm particularly bothered, if he feels the need to rise to it that's fine. Exactly the kind of thing you expect from him.

Red Primus

tbh that was a little tongue in cheek, pointing out the fact that de boer is accused of either being uninformed or misrepresenting the statistics on Rashford's playing time, when Mourinho here does the same with De Boer's (admittedly horrendous) premier league record.
Knowing Mourinho, that's a ticking time-bomb that he left for Boer to ignite. He either let's it be and be known henceforth as a 7-0 with Zero Goals loser or corrects it out loud that he only lasted 4 games before getting the shaft. Simply beautiful.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm struggling to remember a time SAF attacked a pundit like that. Other managers yes. Ban journalists from his briefings yes. But did he go after pundits for giving their opinions in post match coverage - as they are paid to do? Can't remember. Maybe though.

It's a very good response from Mourinho in terms of being absolutely withering. Strikes me as a bit unnecessary though. Not that I'm particularly bothered, if he feels the need to rise to it that's fine. Exactly the kind of thing you expect from him.
He responded to the manager more than the pundit. I think that Mourinho didn't like the fact that a fellow manager attacked him that way, you don't see managers do what De Boer did.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

He called Gary Neville and Alen Hansen idiots for criticizing De Gea!

Jeffthered

Just think Mourinho needs to learn to let things go. It's punditry, people say things, much of it is daft, ill-informed, and isn't worth the drama (which this now is...). The 'worst manager in history' stuff is silly.

El-Manos

De Boer fully deserved that. When you come out with comments like that praying for the rain, you have to deal with the mud too.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Idiot is a bit different to worst manager in PL history.

But point taken, it's not black and white.
He is probably the worst manager in PL history, statistically speaking. Calling someone an idiot is a straight up insult.