Mourinho's comments on Scholes

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
i'd add going on about how many trophies you have won isn't defending your players
No. It's a petty personal attack on Scholes - obviously. As is the inane money comment.

There really isn't anything more to this. Jose doing a Jose - it's what he does. I agree with those who say it's no big deal, actually - but those who get into mental gymnastics to defend it need to have a word with themselves.

You can remain supportive of Jose as United manager without making an utter arse of yourself.

Nuts

Tough gig for Maureen - we always knew he'd struggle to maintain his decorum, and he's got nowhere near the control and nous Ferguson had for managing the media. He needs telling that reacting like this weakens him but I expect more and more of it as he continually comes second to City.

Nucks

RT History Department
Mourinho should just apologise for his utterly despicable comments. Imagine what both Sir Bobby and Sir Alex would be thinking about such kind of stupid arrogance from our current manager.

15 points behind the first place, 1 loss in the cup and 3 consecutive draws in the league, of course Scholes was going to be fecking critical of the team, Jose and Pogba, who was supposed to be the missing piece in the team and the reason for our bad play since his injury or during his suspensions. It's ridiculous that people can't see the difference between Scholes' argumentative criticism and Mourinho's plain insults.

Mourinho is not SAF, he has a loooooooooooooong way to go to do even the first steps of the way and he has no authority to speak about our legends like that.
Totally, they'd be appalled, what with how SAF reacted to Keane and Neville when they said less than flattering things about United. SAF had no problem shooting down club legends when they said negative things about United.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Mourinho's 'money' comment was a shithouse thing to say. Scholes gave his whole career to United without kicking up a fuss about contracts, which he was more than good enough to do.

He could have easily have stuck up for Pogba without saying that, which is clearly bollx anyway. Lost a bit of respect for Jose over this.

Denis79

Taking a guess that Scholes commented how much money Pogba costs/makes after the Southampton game? Maybe how SAF or he would have played against them etc?

Scholes was a fantastic player and one of my favorites in all my years as a United supporter but Jose isn't wrong that he is a below average pundit and has not proven himself as a manager. Jose should just shake off criticism from former players and the media and do his job. Comments like this just makes him look petty.

GM K

Because Jose's job isn't to comment on everyone commenting on the game? Imagine if Jose responded to every criticising of himself and his team. He'd have no time for management. It's silly. Get on with managing the team. You're paid to do that. Scholes is doing what he's paid to do.

As for Pogba, he was coasting in the Southampton game and scholes obviously noticed that. He should have been driving us to win that game. Either it was a lack of effort and drive, or a tactical screw up by Jose.

As for taking it, given what the United legend of the two has achieved with us, I'm sure he can 'take' whatever Jose has to offer. Even if it involves an eye poke.
[

I am very sure you would have noticed that Jose actually does not respond to every criticism levelled at him. He is arguably the most criticized manager in top level football so, like you rightly said, responding to all the criticisms, will leave him with no time for management - something he has succeeded very well doing in his career. When he does respond, like he did to Scholes, he has every right to do so as much as the pundits have every right to analyze and criticize his work and his players.

As for the Southampton game, singling out Pogba is just lazy analysis. Yes, the team did not click well enough but we bossed possession and missed far too many easy chances. Those missed chances were the primary reason we did not win that game. We also had Lukaku stretchered off; a clear penalty denied; Miki having a very poor game and Pogba's unfortunate tap in denying Matic a goal.

Pogba did not have a great game by his high standards but he was certainly not the reason why we dropped those two points and he sure wasn't as bad as Scholes would like us to believe. Besides, Scholes' description of him was not just about that game. It was about a series of games this season and about his overall fitness and price tag worth based on those games. And like I said earlier, it is not the first time Scholes would question Pogba's worth. He needs to chill. The lad is probably the closest to him in terms of talents in United history.

Biji.Kelot

[

Pogba did not have a great game by his high standards but he was certainly not the reason why we dropped those two points and he sure wasn't as bad as Scholes would like us to believe. Besides, Scholes' description of him was not just about that game. It was about a series of games this season and about his overall fitness and price tag worth based on those games. And like I said earlier, it is not the first time Scholes would question Pogba's worth. He needs to chill. The lad is probably the closest to him in terms of talents in United history.
Apologize, mate. I never saw what you called Pogba high standard. Speaking about high standard, against big boys this season, Pogba barely performed well.

Last 2 games before Everton, against weaker opponents, i also did not see any high standard of Pogba performance.

High standard for my stupid brain is to influence the game, motivate team mates, take the best actions, push yourself over the limit to get the best result. Where all of those covered in our so-called WC player performance whom some posters here is one of the best midfielder in the world ?

He is bought to be a man main. Like it or not. In time of the deadlock, chasing the win, or when the team get stuck, he is expected to step up and take responsibility. He is no longer young player.

And please dont compare Pogba with Scholes. Still far away for him to be in the same mould of Ginger Prince.

Apologize, Mod if it is OOT.

redflair

Bad timing is one thing but I think his agenda was to undermine Mourinho as a manager, using Pogba just served his purpose. Classy guy.
I understand where you're coming from - but don't agree. I still believe the criticism from Scholes - after the Saints game - was mild compared to what most United were thinking at the time.

GM K

Apologize, mate. I never saw what you called Pogba high standard. Speaking about high standard, against big boys this season, Pogba barely performed well.

Last 2 games before Everton, against weaker opponents, i also did not see any high standard of Pogba performance.

High standard for my stupid brain is to influence the game, motivate team mates, take the best actions, push yourself over the limit to get the best result. Where all of those covered in our so-called WC player performance whom some posters here is one of the best midfielder in the world ?

He is bought to be a man main. Like it or not. In time of the deadlock, chasing the win, or when the team get stuck, he is expected to step up and take responsibility. He is no longer young player.

And please dont compare Pogba with Scholes. Still far away for him to be in the same mould of Ginger Prince.

Apologize, Mod if it is OOT.

Well, if you don't think Pogba's standard is high, then I guess we just have to agree to disagree which is fine. Football is what it is because we all see differently. And that's probably why we both interpret the Jose/Scholes banter differently. Scholes feels the guy is not worth his price, Jose feels he is, hence their gripes I guess.

Foxbatt

As a player yes Jose is nobody. As a manager he among the top. As a manager Scholes is nobody. As a player Jose is not fit to ties the shoelaces of Scholes. As a manager Scholes is not fit enough to tie Jose's laces.

Kostur

海尔的老板
As a player yes Jose is nobody. As a manager he among the top. As a manager Scholes is nobody. As a player Jose is not fit to ties the shoelaces of Scholes. As a manager Scholes is not fit enough to tie Jose's laces.
As individuals in football they both have achieved huge results, to even try using this 'not fit' adage in relation to Mourinho in the world of football is beyond fecking stupid and such headline automatically disregards whatever is written next as pure bullshit.

Foxbatt

As individuals in football they both have achieved huge results, to even try using this 'not fit' adage in relation to Mourinho in the world of football is beyond fecking stupid and such headline automatically disregards whatever is written next as pure bullshit.
This is referring to an article in the times which mentions the "not fit" issue.

Paul scholes - and the entire 'class of 92' brand have such a huge collective ego it's very unattractive. Yes a couple of them were great players but as people they're a bunch of dickheads.

Wilt

One was a great player and is now a shite pundit, the other is a great manager

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Paul scholes - and the entire 'class of 92' brand have such a huge collective ego it's very unattractive. Yes a couple of them were great players but as people they're a bunch of dickheads.
Exactly, whenever the manager be it Mou, moyes and LVg are under pressure, they come out with bullshite, i wonder if giggs was given the job would we hear such bullshit from them? They probably would support him and ask for time if he finished 10 th and blame it on the players and wooddward.

I do not understand why are they so adamant about roles at club now, why do they think its their birthright to have a coaching or manager job here. I dont see roy keane or eric cantona doing that. They have their own club, i think they should get their hands dirty their, why not form a coaching team at salford city, show how good all of them are and then try for the biggest job in football. Their club is man city type spenders in their league, why giggs doesnt manage them and show us kind of football he wants to play and get them in premier league to earn his way to united job? i think that is much more work and they just want glory with the united job. Class of 92 for the great and golden players they were are not man utd, the club remains and they are class of 92 because of the club.

Listar

No. It's a petty personal attack on Scholes - obviously. As is the inane money comment.

There really isn't anything more to this. Jose doing a Jose - it's what he does. I agree with those who say it's no big deal, actually - but those who get into mental gymnastics to defend it need to have a word with themselves.

You can remain supportive of Jose as United manager without making an utter arse of yourself.
I think the money comment is in retaliation over Scholes saying that Pogba cost a lot of money.
"He does not look like a player who will win you games and that is what you pay £90m for."

So it is not totally out of the blue. If you keep prodding the price tag, at some point you will be asked are you jealous, cause the price tag has nothing to do with you.

cyril C

I think your point about the gap is really valid. If you're a United manager 15 or so points adrift of City by Christmas, it's probably best to shut it and just do your job.

I really don't get all the 'Scholes is a TERRIBLE pundit' comments. He's just an honest bloke who knows a bit about playing central midfield and gave an opinion about an underperforming CM which is hard to argue with. If it hadn't been Scholes, it would have been whoever else was commenting.
Come on. Scholes had shy away from any interview throughout his 20 years of player career, and now suddenly he becomes a pundit. I take Gary as a good pundit and his view is vocal but analytical, and balance. Scholes just blow the horn here and there and the press make a field day thanks to his BS.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Exactly, whenever the manager be it Mou, moyes and LVg are under pressure, they come out with bullshite, i wonder if giggs was given the job would we hear such bullshit from them? They probably would support him and ask for time if he finished 10 th and blame it on the players and wooddward.

I do not understand why are they so adamant about roles at club now, why do they think its their birthright to have a coaching or manager job here. I dont see roy keane or eric cantona doing that. They have their own club, i think they should get their hands dirty their, why not form a coaching team at salford city, show how good all of them are and then try for the biggest job in football. Their club is man city type spenders in their league, why giggs doesnt manage them and show us kind of football he wants to play and get them in premier league to earn his way to united job? i think that is much more work and they just want glory with the united job. Class of 92 for the great and golden players they were are not man utd, the club remains and they are class of 92 because of the club.
Given that they were talking up Rooney staying at United last season, you know that if they had a mate in at United they'd close ranks.

Scholesy took shots at Pogba he has never taken at Rooney. The things he said were wrong (we haven't even lost a league game with Pogba this season). Plus he was effectively adding fuel to a fire started by Keown, which made out that the players weren't putting in effort against Southampton cos Mou had lost the dressing room.

I love the class of 92, and I don't think they go out of the way to undermine the manager. However, its funny how they do so much to be 'unbiased' that they sometimes make similar points to ABUs.

Decomposing In Paris

By highlighting what Scholes said about Pogba, he managed to challenge Pogba, whilst being seen to defend him. I personally think it was very clever, and on a level with something SAF would have done.

Did anyone see Pogba play against Everton?

red_devil83

By highlighting what Scholes said about Pogba, he managed to challenge Pogba, whilst being seen to defend him. I personally think it was very clever, and on a level with something SAF would have done.

Did anyone see Pogba play against Everton?
Tend to agree with this. Whatever bollocks was said, the end result was that we got a great performance out of Pogba and a good away win playing some much better football than in recent games - which is what everyone wanted.