Mourinho's Press Conference, Huddersfield (a): Sat, 6:30 pm, CET

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep seen those and they confirm that Pogba whether his fault or otherwise certainly was not playing as a left sided 8 like he would at Juve. Secondly Jesse roaming just as if not more freely than Pogba does not make that a balanced three man midfield that you would normally associate with a 433 - compare their position vs say a Barca passing map. It was so unstructured and instead of it making us look like super attacking outfit we looked all over the place instead.

Also the fact Jose was pissed with Pogba suggests that Pogba was abandoning his role and just going forwards against instructions otherwise why would Jose pull him off the pitch. If he was given this licence to roam and he was executing managers instructions why such a heated tactical discussion on the side of the pitch?

Look at amount of Lingard touches in his own half v Pogba. How does that validate the argument that this is exactly the same sort of three man midfield people are talking about when they talk of Juventus. How does it support the notion Pogba is the most free player in the midfield?
Jesus Christ. You’re absolutely determined not to back down on this stupid 4231/433 thing. I’m glad someone finally posted a heat map for the 3 CM’s because they fully back up what Mourinho said. Matic was the deepest CM, both Pogba and Lingard played with more freedom to get higher up the pitch. There’s basically feck all difference between them. Pogba clearly had as much freedom to roam as a CM could possibly ask for. He absolutely wasn’t expected to sit deep and hold, alongside Matic. That couldn’t be more obvious.

The manager has come out and said exactly what formation his team played. A formation that Gary Neville identified during the game (and whatever you think about his skill as a manager, he was in the fecking stadium and it’s MUCH easier to judge a team’s shape when you’re at a game than it is watching on telly)

But hey, redcafe poster knows best. They’re both lying, for some strange reason. Righto. Makes sense.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Using average position is an utterly flawed tool. It doesn't take into account the fact that a player can swap wings and will therefore average his position in the middle of the pitch. It only works when players are playing with strict tactics. But you can see from the touches and heatmap that our players had freedom to move about. Even Martial had 15 odd touches on the left. You look at touches and heatmap of Lingard and then compare it to the average position image.

R'hllor

Using average position is an utterly flawed tool. It doesn't take into account the fact that a player can swap wings and will therefore average his position in the middle of the pitch. It only works when players are playing with strict tactics. But you can see from the touches and heatmap that our players had freedom to move about. Even Martial had 15 odd touches on the left. You look at touches and heatmap of Lingard and then compare it to the average position image.
Think Martial got those touches on the left due swap position after Sanchez went in middle and not due freedom of play.

Highfather_24

I would like to make the profound observation that its what you do with your touches that counts rather than where you make them.
Lingard was asked to play an 'Iniesta' role ( albeit on the right), Matic was Busquets and Pogba is Rakitic ( albeit on the left). None of the United 3 are as good as the Barca 3, but for different reasons.
No-one has been as good as Iniesta for the last decade, so Lingard is on a loser in comparison. However he has the same basic skill sets and will improve. This is his best position.
Matic is a not quite as good as Busquets at his best, but the difference is marginal.
Rakitic drives forward from deep, but he knows how and when to pass, importantly he knoes how to keep it simple when necessary, which is often to get the best out of the attackers. Pogba can drive from deep but continually makes it 'complicated' by trying too much. When it doesn't pay off he becomes disheartened. He has to learn to keep it simple and give good penetrative passes which most of the time will be short passes designed for the attacking player to run onto. He is at least as talented as Rakitic, but does not perform regularly to the same standard because of his lack of maturity.
United have McTominay coming on nicely as a no 6, but lack competition for the two no8 positions. I would be very surprised if 2 no8s are not bought in the summer.
For sometime I thought United's attackers always stood still and waited for the ball to feet, which made attacks very static. But on anaysis , they give up making runs into space quite quickly every match, because the midfield just doesn't release the ball fast enough and in positions that allow players to run onto the pass. This is where the 'old' Fergie United teams excelled.
Both our no8s have to improve immensly in this area otherwise they will be both replaced.
-So you consider Lingard more of a midfielder rather than a attacker?

- If that's the case wouldnt you say we need one more attacker to add in the summer to Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Martial and Rashford?

- Do you think McTominay is enough of a backup to Matic, or we need another #6 to replace Carrick? Do you think McTominay is more of a #6 or a #8?

- Considering Pogba, Herrera and Lingard are our #8s, and we sell Fellaini...how many new #8s do you think we need in the summer? Do you see Andreas Pereirra have a future here? If he does, do we need any more?

Good post.

Classnordic

Imo try and give Mctominay a very disciplined role to the right of matic. Why has it not been tried? Herrera is showing his true colors, and cannot be trusted to put in a shift anymore. Mctominay though has looked very up for it!

yo@Kirk

Daley Blind has a lot more professional experience playing in midfield than Jesse. Blind at #6, Matic as withdrawn #8 and Pogba as advanced #8 would have allowed Pogba to be more impactful in attack without the midfield being easily overrun. I like Jesse a lot but I think there are better choices for a strong midfield 3. I think playing Blind as #6 in a 4-3-1-2 with Sanchez behind Martial and Lukaku would provide better attack and defense balance than the lineup vs Newcastle.

el3mel

Daley Blind has a lot more professional experience playing in midfield than Jesse. Blind at #6, Matic as withdrawn #8 and Pogba as advanced #8 would have allowed Pogba to be more impactful in attack without the midfield being easily overrun. I like Jesse a lot but I think there are better choices for a strong midfield 3. I think playing Blind as #6 in a 4-3-1-2 with Sanchez behind Martial and Lukaku would provide better attack and defense balance than the lineup vs Newcastle.
Not this again. I thought this suggestion died after Bristol game.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Jesus Christ. You’re absolutely determined not to back down on this stupid 4231/433 thing. I’m glad someone finally posted a heat map for the 3 CM’s because they fully back up what Mourinho said. Matic was the deepest CM, both Pogba and Lingard played with more freedom to get higher up the pitch. There’s basically feck all difference between them. Pogba clearly had as much freedom to roam as a CM could possibly ask for. He absolutely wasn’t expected to sit deep and hold, alongside Matic. That couldn’t be more obvious.

The manager has come out and said exactly what formation his team played. A formation that Gary Neville identified during the game (and whatever you think about his skill as a manager, he was in the fecking stadium and it’s MUCH easier to judge a team’s shape when you’re at a game than it is watching on telly)

But hey, redcafe poster knows best. They’re both lying, for some strange reason. Righto. Makes sense.
So you don't find it odd that Matic, Pogba and Lingard have basically been the blueprint for a 4231 for a while now and suddenly post Spurs and Newcastle criticism we are now being told it was a 433 all along despite it being like no other three man midfield in Europe and certainly no three man midfield Paul Pogba has ever been accustomed to.

LINGARD V HUDDERSFIELD

LINGARD V SPURS

Funnily enough Lingard has more touches in his own half, when we were playing 4-2-3-1 when compared to his supposed new move to being a third midfielder in Mourinho's new found 4-3-3 being used against Newcastle.

Also make your minds up, it started off Pogba needs to man up and get used to being the CM in a 2 man midfield post Newcastle game and now because the manager has said it was a three, suddenly he can't hack it in a three either - both conclusions reached by the same group posters based on the same game - where is the consistency in your narratives?

Thirdly the heat maps certainly do not indicate that this was a 433 designed to free up Pogba from any defensive duties because if it did, it would show Lingard playing more defensively than Pogba.. thus giving him a proper licence to roam knowing he has enough cover behind him.

Furthermore it clearly shows that Pogba has double the touches that Lingard does in his own half, in fact as stated above, Lingard had even less touches in his own half in the three man midfield than he did in 4-2-3-1 thus clearly demonstrating one was deeper lying than the other and if the other midfielder is attacking to the such an extent - how can Pogba attack with the same freedom without totally compromising the balance of our midfield. Guess what it showed in the performance too - we looked a mess.

In essence a 4231 does indeed have a three man midfield, just that it's an upwards triangle compared to a 433 which is a downwards triangle. In a way you're right that the way both guys attacked makes it look like it was a upwards triangle, but the complete lack of balance made it look more like a 4141 if anything with just Matic holding. To me it looked like Pogba just completely abandoned his post and went walkabout because I don't see anything massively different in Lingards position against Spurs/Huddersfield vs his position in Newcastle. Therefore I don't buy this narrative that suddenly Jose came up with this 433 strategy where Lingard patrols the right and Pogba patrols the left because the heat maps show they were both all over the place and Lingard barely featured in his own half which is hardly evidence he played as a centre mid in the Newcastle game.

It also fits what we saw, that Pogba went against instructions and was abdicating his space like Mourinho was expecting, otherwise why give him a rollicking on the sidelines, why take him off. Also we could all see Pogba was just doing what he wanted, and his body language looked awful. It didn't look like a guy whose been told before the game, look son I'm building this team around you, today you can roam as much as you want.. we've got you covered. In fact, it looks like he went rogue if anything.

Mourinho the master manipulator of the media - has no previous for lying or covering his own back? I don't buy that narrative either.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol:

Sorry mate, no offence but your post reads like you are stretching it.

1. Pogba played poorly in that game and it was not about formation. Jose did say that even Pogba has admitted he is having a bad patch. It#s as normal as air in football. Ronaldo just had a horrible period until more recently.

2. Is it not entirely possible that a team can be set up to play 4-3-3 yet the players who are supposed to execute it, mess up? Will that change the fact that they were set up to play 4-3-3?

3. Why in the world would Jose lie about how the team was set up when every player, his assistants and every other member of the team are listening? Would that not kill his credibility in the dressing room?

4. Could Jose have been pissed off with Pogba because he was not sticking to the game plan and executing the agreed formation?
1. We agree on that point, funnily enough.. of course it isn't just formation related and he can play better, if it is on his mind though and he's unhappy, it will lead to him not being in the right mindset to play well. That is the thing I am worried about.

2. Yes but you have to look at the personnel, the same personnel has been used in a 4231 pretty consistently and suddenly the criticism has got to Jose, and he's stating it was a 4-3-3. Even Noodle admitted, that he should have just ignored the criticism.. Lingard's positioning did not change in his last three performances. What changed was that it seems Pogba seemed to go walkabout and didn't want to do his role in the two man pivot, and the heat map reflects that in the Newcastle game. His positioning is atrocious.

3. Because he might be protecting Pogba as well as the team, not necessarily himself. If he says that was a 4231, it looks like Pogba disobeyed him and that would open up a can of worms. This way, he makes it look like it is just a poor run of form, no problems with him and Pogba.

4. Absolutely, I think that too.. but I would argue the game plan was more 4-2-3-1 and Pogba started to do things he wanted to and lost his head, it looked like that from his performance. Certainly didn't look like a guy whose been told by his manager that I have now changed the formation for you, go out there and enjoy yourself.

TheReligion

Abusive
1. We agree on that point, funnily enough.. of course it isn't just formation related and he can play better, if it is on his mind though and he's unhappy, it will lead to him not being in the right mindset to play well. That is the thing I am worried about.

2. Yes but you have to look at the personnel, the same personnel has been used in a 4231 pretty consistently and suddenly the criticism has got to Jose, and he's stating it was a 4-3-3. Even Noodle admitted, that he should have just ignored the criticism.. Lingard's positioning did not change in his last three performances. What changed was that it seems Pogba seemed to go walkabout and didn't want to do his role in the two man pivot, and the heat map reflects that in the Newcastle game. His positioning is atrocious.

3. Because he might be protecting Pogba as well as the team, not necessarily himself. If he says that was a 4231, it looks like Pogba disobeyed him and that would open up a can of worms. This way, he makes it look like it is just a poor run of form, no problems with him and Pogba.

4. Absolutely, I think that too.. but I would argue the game plan was more 4-2-3-1 and Pogba started to do things he wanted to and lost his head, it looked like that from his performance. Certainly didn't look like a guy whose been told by his manager that I have now changed the formation for you, go out there and enjoy yourself.
There are no problems with JM and Pogba.

If there was why would he go out of his way to continually praise him the past few weeks.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
There are no problems with JM and Pogba.

If there was why would he go out of his way to continually praise him the past few weeks.
Well let's hope so. I'm sure all of us want both key player and manager to be on good terms.

buckooo1978

for me it has seemed we've played 4-1-4-1 in the games against Spurs and Newcastle to a lesser degree such is the way Matic was isolated and the ease with which teams cut through us

the whole story is boring now and I'm not sure what the agenda is when Castles is briefing the media one thing only for Jose to refute it today.... was Castles setting the story up so Jose could knock it down aggressively today?

either way and aside the bollocks our tactics need to improve drastically both in attack and defence

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did Mourinho really forget about A. Pereira or was that a dig at him and maybe he has a sealed future away from the club? It was a strange reaction from Jose.
Maybe we should stop micro analysing, it's normal to forget names or something and takes 2-3 seconds to remember.

diplomat

Maybe we should stop micro analysing, it's normal to forget names or something and takes 2-3 seconds to remember.
Maybe you are right. I haven't seen much of Pereira at Valencia anyway and he seems to be playing on the wings there, not in CM as we all wanted.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Why in the world would Jose lie about how the team was set up when every player, his assistants and every other member of the team are listening? Would that not kill his credibility in the dressing room?
That's the nail on the head right there. He wouldn't come out with those things unless the 433 was something he was actively pursuing. We can debate whether or not he chose the right players for the formation, or the right formation for the players, but not which formation he set out to play when he publicly states that.

Another aspect of all this Pogbagate, is the dictation of play by Sanchez which might leave Pogba confronted with a new role in his United career. Maybe we are so unused to having people with great skill and confidence on the ball that we do not realise, collectively, that having more than one player of that level should make our play simpler, not more complex, and certainly not more predictable.

That being said, if Pogba is on the left of a midfield 3, I think it makes even more sense to place Sanchez on the right (not only to avoid completely neutralising Martial), having players on either side who can carry the ball, break up defences, and stretch play. Would like to see that and the team adhering to not going all game with the same option.

diplomat

That being said, if Pogba is on the left of a midfield 3, I think it makes even more sense to place Sanchez on the right (not only to avoid completely neutralising Martial), having players on either side who can carry the ball, break up defences, and stretch play. Would like to see that and the team adhering to not going all game with the same option.
With Pogba on the left of a three, Rashford could excel on the LW as well, because he is better at running in the channels and makes more runs in behind more consistently than Martial. It a tricky time for Martial, if he doesn't perform in whatever position the manager puts him, he will probably be benched and rotated with Rashford, Lingard and Mata.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With Pogba on the left of a three, Rashford could excel on the LW as well, because he is better at running in the channels and makes more runs in behind more consistently than Martial. It a tricky time for Martial, if he doesn't perform in whatever position the manager puts him, he will probably be benched and rotated with Rashford, Lingard and Mata.
I'm actually fine with Martial fighting for that left spot with Rashford. That's the position that suits them both and they need games. Even if it's Sanchez's favoured position. Rashford will need to up his performances quite significantly though if he's to challenge Martial for real for that left spot. (It's unfortunately only academic to talk of Rashford or Martial up front, which would open up a host of options).

minoo-utd

3:38
More on Pogba's form

Mourinho adds:

“He had a big injury in the season, big injury, he had a big injury, he almost went to surgery like Dembele in Barcelona with a similar injury, the decision was not to do it and go to a conservative treatment, everyone really happy, he was playing phenomenal after that and before that, he had a red card against Arsenal probably in his best match and the team’s best moment, he was out for a long long time and in this moment he is not playing well, period, and the team needs him at a good level, when he is not a good level the team is not as good.

“It happens with every team when the most crucial players are not performing. You don’t need to come with we want to sell him, you don’t need that, some people go in that direction, some of them I know for many many years and I know their surname is Liar, and that’s not nice. He plays tomorrow.”

Great responses by Jose regarding that matter.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I thought this story originally came from Castles who is seen as a Jose mouth piece ?
Dun dun dun!!!! Plot twist.

It's actually kinda funny, nobody truly knows if He's Jose's mouthpiece. There's also an interview where He said He just keep in touch with managers including Jose and asks them questions via private texts sometimes, after congratulating them.

Buuuutt for some reason, people still see him as the mouth of Jose and takes his words as Gospel. He's not Jose's PR. :lol::lol:

Last edited:

SwSw

The point is it was Newcastle, it should be enough. We created the chances and blew them anyway. Pogba’s performance was poor period.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't covering up the fact that Pogba didn't play well that day.

But let's stop with the it was Newcastle, it should be enough statements. Such mentality is what causes us to drop silly points all season. Thinking talent enough or us being Manchester United is enough to win games is what leads us to all these mess.

haram

I'm pretty sure I wasn't covering up the fact that Pogba didn't play well that day.

But let's stop with the it was Newcastle, it should be enough statements. Such mentality is what causes us to drop silly points all season. Thinking talent enough or us being Manchester United is enough to win games is what leads us to all these mess.
Point is we had the clear chances and blew them. Had we won the game would all this speculation come out about Pogba? The answer is no, and that's the end of it.

SwSw

Point is we had the clear chances and blew them. Had we won the game would all this speculation come out about Pogba? The answer is no, and that's the end of it.
The answer is yes. He had a bad game. And that is the end of it.

NFM

-So you consider Lingard more of a midfielder rather than a attacker?

- If that's the case wouldnt you say we need one more attacker to add in the summer to Lukaku, Sanchez, Mata, Martial and Rashford?

- Do you think McTominay is enough of a backup to Matic, or we need another #6 to replace Carrick? Do you think McTominay is more of a #6 or a #8?

- Considering Pogba, Herrera and Lingard are our #8s, and we sell Fellaini...how many new #8s do you think we need in the summer? Do you see Andreas Pereirra have a future here? If he does, do we need any more?

Good post.
Lingard is a very talented no8. He has to gain experience, but he has the tools.
We need a RW, personally I would sell Martial as Rashford is potentially far better, and use the cash to buy a natural RW.
McTominay is being groomed as Carricks replacement, he is a no6.
Pereirra will not play for United again. He has decided twice to go against his managers wishes to play for his place. He will be sold.
United need two additional midfielders, a left footed and a right footed no8. Plus at least one full back.

SwSw

Lingard is a very talented no8. He has to gain experience, but he has the tools.
We need a RW, personally I would sell Martial as Rashford is potentially far better, and use the cash to buy a natural RW.
McTominay is being groomed as Carricks replacement, he is a no6.
Pereirra will not play for United again. He has decided twice to go against his managers wishes to play for his place. He will be sold.
United need two additional midfielders, a left footed and a right footed no8. Plus at least one full back.
Stop trolling.

Lingard has never played as an 8 and i've no idea why you think he has the tools to do so considering he isn't really a Mourinho type of CM.

Martial has a greater ceiling than Rashford. I have no idea why you would even suggest selling him.

redIndianDevil

I would like to make the profound observation that its what you do with your touches that counts rather than where you make them.
Lingard was asked to play an 'Iniesta' role ( albeit on the right), Matic was Busquets and Pogba is Rakitic ( albeit on the left). None of the United 3 are as good as the Barca 3, but for different reasons.
No-one has been as good as Iniesta for the last decade, so Lingard is on a loser in comparison. However he has the same basic skill sets and will improve. This is his best position.
Matic is a not quite as good as Busquets at his best, but the difference is marginal.
Rakitic drives forward from deep, but he knows how and when to pass, importantly he knoes how to keep it simple when necessary, which is often to get the best out of the attackers. Pogba can drive from deep but continually makes it 'complicated' by trying too much. When it doesn't pay off he becomes disheartened. He has to learn to keep it simple and give good penetrative passes which most of the time will be short passes designed for the attacking player to run onto. He is at least as talented as Rakitic, but does not perform regularly to the same standard because of his lack of maturity.
United have McTominay coming on nicely as a no 6, but lack competition for the two no8 positions. I would be very surprised if 2 no8s are not bought in the summer.
For sometime I thought United's attackers always stood still and waited for the ball to feet, which made attacks very static. But on anaysis , they give up making runs into space quite quickly every match, because the midfield just doesn't release the ball fast enough and in positions that allow players to run onto the pass. This is where the 'old' Fergie United teams excelled.
Both our no8s have to improve immensly in this area otherwise they will be both replaced.
What the feck did I just read? Lingard has the basic skill sets of Iniesta, fecking Iniesta? Not even Lingard's mom believes that.

NFM

What the feck did I just read? Lingard has the basic skill sets of Iniesta, fecking Iniesta? Not even Lingard's mom believes that.
Yes he has, if you don't believe me, listen to Fergie. I didn't say he was 'as good as' , he clearly is not ( yet?). But he has the same skill set, always has had through his time as a youth player at United. At last a manager has the 'balls' to play him in his correct postion. Hopefu;;y he will bloom.
Why are so many supposed supporters so 'down' on their own youngsters? Only want 'expensive imports' .

Last edited by a moderator:

DdeGoat

Whether Lingard is a number 8 or not is perfunctory. The main gripe people had was that Pogba was not played in his favorite position on the left of the midfield. Which he was. So the non-performance in the last two games is on Pogba not on any formation. What we can blame Jose for is the general lack of motivation and desire the team has shown in the last two games. If he cops any blame it is for our slow build-up and inability to string two passes together after all this time. The Pogba issue is on Pogba and his lack of maturity in the role. Not every game he is going to encounter teams that are going to sit back and allow him all the space and time in the world to operate. He needs to grow up and show in game intelligence needed to play any midfield position on a regular basis to really fulfill his potential.

L1nk

Yes he has, if you don't believe me, listen to Fergie. I didn't say he was 'as good as' , he clearly is not ( yet?). But he has the same skill set, always has had through his time as a youth player at United. At last a manager has the 'balls' to play him in his correct postion. Hopefu;;y he will bloom.
Why are so many supposed supporters so 'down' on their own youngsters? Only want 'expensive imports' . Stupid.
You realise that he's 25 and has had about 2/3 months of good football after seasons of complete averageness, he is not and will never be the level of Andres Iniesta and to even suggest he is similar is quite simply ludicrous. I think you aren't understanding, i'm pretty sure no supporter is 'down' on our youngsters just simply because they are our own youngsters, and to ask most supporters you would hear them say that to have a world class first team full of youth team youngsters would surely be the dream. Supporters are critical of averageness, as they should be, if anything supporters way overestimate the abilities of academy products simply because they are our own academy products and they really want to see them succeed, nothing wrong with that of course but it' extremely hyperbolic at times, case in point this thread. Apparently Lingard is similar to Iniesta and people would rather ship out Martial for Rashfords benefit despite the fact Martial is currently a better player than him and has a higher ceiling as a player too, oh and McTominay has shown nothing of the sort but he's apparently Carrick's heir apparent. Sounds like you want Brexit FC

SwSw

Ok Mourinho is lying, people watching are blind, Lindgard is not playing as a no8. Happy? Idiot!
Martial does not have a higher ceiling than Rashford, what makes you think so? Just because he cost a lot of money? Idiot!
When do i know someone is nothing but an empty tin pot? when they resort to insults.

Apparently, reading isn't your strong suit either. You went to say Lingard has the tools to be a great no.8 when he pretty much plays at the 10, behind the striker.

Then, you proceed to make such dumb conclusions about Martial and made the assumption that i said he is better because he cost more. Clearly, you are going to be a full time member in no time.

Why are so many supposed supporters so 'down' on their own youngsters? Only want 'expensive imports' . Stupid.
Again, insulting another poster because of a difference in opinion. You must be a gem during group work/assignments/projects.

manunited1919

Well there is the fact he at times bullshits just as much as the media. I don't buy his argument that was a three man midfield.

Jesse Lingard is not a central midfielder.

Pogba has gone from having someone like Vidal as his fellow B2B midfielder to having an attacking mid/10 like Lingard and Jose is painting it like he was giving Pogba the platform to succeed. It is a load of baloney.
He is a smart bullshitter though. The media and everyone else, including most here in the CAF, were framing our tactics as a straight choice between JMs preference of 4231 vs the best position for Pogba 433. So if he suddenly switched to 433, he would lose face and more importantly undermine his authority as boss. But by saying that we were playing 433 all the time, he can “continue” playing 433 but with different personnel or different instructions, without losing face. I expect (and hope) to see a midfield 3 of Pogba, Matic and McTominay tomorrow.

redIndianDevil

When do i know someone is nothing but an empty tin pot? when they resort to insults.

Apparently, reading isn't your strong suit either. You went to say Lingard has the tools to be a great no.8 when he pretty much plays at the 10, behind the striker.

Then, you proceed to make such dumb conclusions about Martial and made the assumption that i said he is better because he cost more. Clearly, you are going to be a full time member in no time.

Again, insulting another poster because of a difference in opinion. You must be a gem during group work/assignments/projects.

You realise that he's 25 and has had about 2/3 months of good football after seasons of complete averageness, he is not and will never be the level of Andres Iniesta and to even suggest he is similar is quite simply ludicrous. I think you aren't understanding, i'm pretty sure no supporter is 'down' on our youngsters just simply because they are our own youngsters, and to ask most supporters you would hear them say that to have a world class first team full of youth team youngsters would surely be the dream. Supporters are critical of averageness, as they should be, if anything supporters way overestimate the abilities of academy products simply because they are our own academy products and they really want to see them succeed, nothing wrong with that of course but it' extremely hyperbolic at times, case in point this thread. Apparently Lingard is similar to Iniesta and people would rather ship out Martial for Rashfords benefit despite the fact Martial is currently a better player than him and has a higher ceiling as a player too, oh and McTominay has shown nothing of the sort but he's apparently Carrick's heir apparent. Sounds like you want Brexit FC
No point in arguing with that guy, he/she is clearly a troll.

manunited1919

Well there is the fact he at times bullshits just as much as the media. I don't buy his argument that was a three man midfield.

Jesse Lingard is not a central midfielder.

Pogba has gone from having someone like Vidal as his fellow B2B midfielder to having an attacking mid/10 like Lingard and Jose is painting it like he was giving Pogba the platform to succeed. It is a load of baloney.
Better a bullshitter than an obstinate manager.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He is a smart bullshitter though. The media and everyone else, including most here in the CAF, were framing our tactics as a straight choice between JMs preference of 4231 vs the best position for Pogba 433. So if he suddenly switched to 433, he would lose face and more importantly undermine his authority as boss. But by saying that we were playing 433 all the time, he can “continue” playing 433 but with different personnel or different instructions, without losing face. I expect (and hope) to see a midfield 3 of Pogba, Matic and McTominay tomorrow.
Good post. Agree with that analysis.

He has succeeded in convincing many that it was a 433 all along, which is fair enough - like you said, if he's trying to save face that is understandable as a manager needs to ensure he remains credible.