MPFG Draft: QF - Pat_Mustard vs TheReligion

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pat_Mustard

The Religion Tactics

Pat_Mustard

Formation: Lobanovsky-inspired 4-1-3-2

Attack as a team and defend as a team. The team was built to press hard and and play direct, full-throttle football. No undue emphasis on possession here, just wave after wave of swift attacks with plenty of players pouring forward, whether we win the ball back high up the pitch or further back. The tireless Ian Rush sets the tone as a forward who will run himself into the ground out-of-possession.

• Uli Stein comes in as our keeper. One of a long line of slightly insane German goalkeepers and, usefully for a high-line defence, he was quite happy to come off his line. Kicker magazine describes him as "one of Germany’s all-time greatest goalkeepers who enjoyed an outstanding career in the Bundesliga despite inciting several scandals. Uli Stein must be rated as a truly complete goalkeeper, very strong in all aspects of goalkeeping, terrific on the line and at leaving his goal, in one-on-one situations, a very charismatic figure, a dominant person with an aggressive mentality."
  • Stam and Mozer were monsters athletically and both have experience in high line defences - there's few better pairings to defend those big spaces behind them, and deal with 1v1s when we're facing the counter attack.
  • Robertson and new signing Manuel Amoros seem ideal Lobanovsky full-backs - tenacious defenders with excellent attacking output, and the energy to charge up and down their flanks all day.
  • Anatoliy Konkov, midfield lynchpin of Lobanovsky's first great Dynamo Kyiv team, reprises that role here. In Lobanovsky's book Endless Match he said “I still have no doubt that Konkov is a player of the level of Franz Beckenbauer. He is impeccable in tackling the ball, his passes are accurate, timely and directed to the right place.” High praise and fanciful at that, but it does speak to Konkov's importance to the team and his formidable range of physical, technical and tactical attributes.
  • With Konkov as the reference point as the holding player, the other three midfielders have freedom to interchange and surge forward in search of goals. Breitner, the sumptiously gifted dynamo who would pop up all over the pitch, seems ideal for this system. Kevin De Bruyne replaces Alan Ball, retaining much of the ceaseless industry that Ball provided but ramping up our chance-creation potential massively. Before he became an oddball manager, Felix Magath was a gifted attacking midfielder who led Hamburg throughout the most successful era in their history. Another grafter, whose very pronounced preference for operating down the inside and outside left channels makes him a good fit here.
  • Double Ballon d'Or winner, thoroughbred athlete, excellent technician and a proper team player: Rummenigge is a potential matchwinner in any company. Factor in that he hit his peak after moving off the flanks into a two-man frontline, and that he's reunited here with his most-celebrated partner in crime Paul Breitner, and his threat is ratcheted up even more.
  • It was noted in the Dead Drafters thread regarding Lobanovsky's 70s Dynamo team that they really lacked a ruthless CF to convert their dominance into goals. Ian Rush looks a quality remedy - prolific, extremely fast, and tidy in the build up, he was also an incredible grafter.

TheReligion Tactics

3-4-3 into a fluid 5-3-2

The team set up in a functional 3-4-3 but the roles of Ze Roberto and Tassotti are ones of wing backs therefore providing a five in defensive phases. Both players had the engine and tactical awareness to fulfill these duties whilst being comfortable in both the forward and defensive areas.

The team has a heavy Italian and Serie A influence and contains multiple key proven partnerships. It also boasts players perfect for operating in such systems given the majority have been deployed there throughout their careers and have the high levels of tactical awareness to operate fluidly within them.

A solid, technical, high energy side which is not only extremely difficult to break down but possesses supreme quality at the other end of the pitch to destroy its opponents.

Starting from the back Maldini, Costacurta, Tassotti, Cheillini and Dino Baggio provide a solid Italian core. With three members of that legendary AC Milan defensive set up dubbed the best of all time, they understand each other perfectly as a unit.

In his 2000s deep lying play maker role Paul Scholes partners the combative Dino Baggio in the midfield. Scholes here controls the tempo with Baggio alongside him as the ball winner screening the defence and playing the simple passes in to the more creative outlets of Scholes and Zidane.

Further up the pitch Zidane, Del Piero and Trezequet provide the Juventus chemistry in the forward areas and plenty of goal threat. Del Piero is in his best role as secondary striker with the supreme creativity of Zidane in behind him. Trezequet, who despite not being well sought after in drafts, is in his absolute prime here and the perfect foil as the number 9. The mercurial Zidane offers an additional international link up with his French counterpart.

Del Piero and Trezequet thieved together under Lippi and later Capello. Transfermarkt has them at 39 direct goal involvements together and the pair are statistically Juve’s most prolific strike duo ever. The perfect balance and blend of pace, technically ability, strength and lethal finishing.

#teammates

Key Players

Paulo Maldini
– The best defender the world has ever seen. Made his name at LB but equally brilliant when he made the move to CB later in his career. In every area you need a football player to excel Maldini delivered. Quick, two footed, powerful engine, perfect positioning, reading of the game, timing and power. Maldini could do everything with ease and was equally a threat going forward at LB delivering accurate crossing and link up play. He is the captain of the side and lynchpin of a powerful defensive unit along side his AC Milan teammates Costacurta and Tassotti.

Zinedine Zidane – Arguably one of the best midfield players to grace the game and one of only eight players to win the Ballon d’Orr, World Cup and European Cup. He is one of the most decorated footballers in history and is the playmaker of this side. Zidane had everything in his locker and the strange ability to find space where there wasn’t any and glide past players like they were statues with relative ease. Excellent weight of pass, vision and a dangerous goal threat, he was the ultimate attacking midfield maestro and is allowed to stamp his authority on the game here by being given freedom to make things happen.

Paul Scholes - Zidane finally gets his wish to play alongside side the player he never tired of watching and described as the most complete midfielder to play the game. Here Scholes is the metronome of the side collecting the ball from deep and progressing it forward using his full range of accurate passing. Press resistant, he had supreme vision and the ability to read the game better than anyone. Let’s not forget his high work rate, stamina and ball winning abilities too. Dino provides the perfect foil next to him offering Scholes the security to move further forward as and when required.

Special Mention

Dino Baggio -
The twelfth man gets his debut and with it I present one of the most underrated Italians to play the game. Baggio excelled at aggressively breaking down play and was a powerful physical presence in the midfield. Despite not being the most gifted with the ball his distribution was reliable and his job here is reclaim possession quickly and get the ball to the creative Scholes or Zidane. Baggio had a fantastic positional sense and tactical awareness essentially boasting all the qualities needed as a high level defensive midfielder.

Ze Roberto - Gets a special mention due to how underrated he is. Not only a versatile workhorse, he was technically gifted and had a supreme tactical awareness allowing him to slot in any left sided role or operate as defensive midfielder. Ze Roberto was unique in the sense that despite these defensive attributes he was also creative and able to contribute in forward areas. This saw him used in attacking central and wing roles during in career. The ultimate all rounder.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Pat_Mustard What amount of possession did Lobanovky's sides get? I do wonder whether your crazy pressing tactic is possible unless you get a serious amount of possession.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Pat_Mustard What amount of possession did Lobanovky's sides get? I do wonder whether your crazy pressing tactic is possible unless you get a serious amount of possession.
I don't think there's any percentages available anywhere, certainly for the 1975 team that Konkov featured in, but for that earlier vintage I wouldn't think their possession percentage was particularly high at all by modern standards - they looked direct and vertical in style, and in defence especially they had players that certainly didn't look like virtuosos technically. His 1988 USSR team treated the ball more carefully, according to the Caf's Lobanovski guru @harms . Whether that was down to an evolution in his tactical approach, or simply a higher calibre of player at his disposal, I'm not sure.

harms said:
I'll concentrate on the differences between USSR 1988 and Dynamo Kiyv 1975. Lobanovsky's key approach remained the same, but there were, obviously, some tweaks from his previous tactics. For example, much more attention was focused on short passing and one-twos – the playing style remained direct and vertical, but that side was better at keeping the ball (especially under pressure). It was even more compact and in a truly totaalvoetbal fashion, everyone participated in both phases of the game, creating pressing traps and numerical advantages all over the pitch.
Again, don't take this as gospel as I'm anything but an expert on the matter, but my impression is that Lobanovski's preference was to press high but he was in no way wedded to it like, say, Bielsa or Pep when they tend towards self-destruction with it at times.

Some quotes from Dynamo and USSR defender Sergei Baltacha about their style of play:

Baltacha said:
We had the pressing game. We could apply a high press in the opponent’s half, or we could go for medium block on the halfway line. We could also drop deep, like we did in Europe if we needed a result, and play on the counter. Before the game Lobanovskyi would always clarify how we play the back. We worked on this during the week prior to the game. It depended on the opposition, their coach and where we were playing. We always pressed at home. With 100,000 fans behind us, we pressed from the off and few teams could cope psychologically.
And one emphasising the necessity of having players that were willing and able to contribute in both phases:

Baltacha said:
The philosophy was that we could play every position. I could play right-back, centre-back, midfield. It was a quality that Lobanovskyi wanted. He spoke a lot about it. It was a team effort. For example, we are defending a corner, all eleven of us (OK, maybe, ten with Blokhin left up the pitch). When we can break, the ones who are nearer the ball should be going on the counter. As soon as we got the ball, if I were closer to the centre of the pitch than Belanov or Vadik Yevtushenko, then I had to attack. We were good at this! Yevtushenko would then cover my position. If you counter-attack, you also need to think about defending. Three or four players need to think (and act) in case we lose the ball. So, a nominal forward could end up as a centre-back for 20-30 seconds...That was Lobanovskyi’s motto: you have to be universal.
An excerpt from an article on Spielverlagerung regarding his Shevchenko-led great team of the late 90s eschewing the high press to trounce Van Gaal's Barca:

Barcelona were afforded to have the majority of possession in this match, with Dynamo favoring defensive organisation in their midfield and defensive thirds over high pressing... Dynamo initiated their pressure around the half line, led by the industrious defensive work of Shevchenko and Rebrov. The midfield four demonstrated excellent understanding of when they needed to help support the strikers in their pressing efforts, or remain closer to the defensive line.
But, while we want in-game flexibility, the high press is our first port-of-call, particularly in the early stages. Here's Spartak Moscow's great left-back Lovchev describing the Dynamo press, orchestrated by my man Konkov:

Lovchev said:
So, I am the fullback with the ball, playing against Dynamo, and I roll the ball to the centre-back, a little slower as there is no one [from the opposition] in our half. If you time it, it would take about four or five seconds for the ball to get from me to the centreback. In four or five seconds sprinters run 50m, footballers 30. The moment the ball leaves the full-back’s foot, [the stopper Anatoliy] Konkov screams “TOPTAT’!” [“Flatten them!”]. Then Blokhin, the leftsided forward, runs to cut off the rightback, [Volodymyr] Onyshchenko dashes on the other side to cut off the pass to the left-back, [Viktor] Kolotov goes straight for the centre-back, who is still waiting for the ball to arrive, and Konkov moves forward to take over from Kolotov, covering yet another passing lane… they cut off all the players closest to the ball!

Pat_Mustard

Not sure if all those quote actually addressed the question adequately! I can certainly see us having more of the ball here as we look to have the more attacking, aggressive setup, but I don't think we'd be dominating possession in the modern sense ie; 65%+. Zidane and Scholes will see that TR can circulate the ball at times, and while pretty much my whole team is good on the ball it's still a direct side by instinct and design. Magath was well capable of slowing things down and taking the sting out of a game but I still think his instinct was primarily to look for the progressive, riskier pass.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Pat_Mustard

Excellent reply - that was a good read. So if I understand correctly, high press is the first port of call followed by something like a medium block with pressing when the ball is in your own half, or something like that?

Pat_Mustard

@Pat_Mustard

Excellent reply - that was a good read. So if I understand correctly, high press is the first port of call followed by something like a medium block with pressing when the ball is in your own half, or something like that?
Yep, exactly! Start the match pressing high and intensely, and maintain that unless 1) we tire (shouldn't happen too easily with this group of players) 2) the press is clearly getting bypassed leaving us too open defensively or 3) we score a couple in the early stages and can afford to sit back. That final one was a bit of a Dynamo specialty apparently, at least in home matches during their European runs:

For their method to work, Dynamo Kyiv players had to be right on top of their game. Their peaks came in cycles around with pairs of titles in 1980, 1981 and 1985, 1986. 1985-86 also brought glory in the Cup-Winners’ Cup as one team after another was blown away at the Republican stadium. “They come on the pitch, 100,000 people chanting ‘Dynamo, Dynamo’ at them, and after 15 minutes it is already 3-0. After that we just hold the ball,” said Baltacha. While there might be a slight exaggeration, European visitors were, on average, three down by half-time.

TheReligion

Abusive
I will say I do have some perfect press resistant players in my side and the ability to play quite direct with the passing range of Scholes and Zidane.

Nice team @Pat_Mustard though and good luck!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Possession was never Lobanovsky's goal, it was an adjustable setting which depended on the opponent. To be fair they also haven't always used the almost-suicidal pressing as it would be too tiresome over the course of entire season but he certainly liked for his team to be able to turn it on in the biggest games.

@Pat_Mustard has described it better and in much more detail.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Possession was never Lobanovsky's goal, it was an adjustable setting which depended on the opponent. To be fair they also haven't always used the almost-suicidal pressing as it would be too tiresome over the course of entire season but he certainly liked for his team to be able to turn it on in the biggest games
That makes sense.

TheReligion

Abusive
Would be interesting to know how people are seeing this one really.

Think my team has the personnel to not only win back possession and catch the opposition out of position, but the skill and ball playing abilities to turn that into a counter quickly.

Wouldn’t fancy any of the back four against the pace of Trezeguet or the dibbling abilities of Zidane. That’s not even mentioning the link up play of Del Piero. Robertson is a weak link.

Whilst Team Pat has some lovely forwards in general my defensive unit is more than a match led by the best defender on the pitch, Maldini and his Milan counterparts Costacurta and Tassotti.

It is a tight game for me but can’t see relentless pressing causing my team much of an issue and when the ball is turned over who better than the press resistant Paul Scholes to start picking his passes and controlling affairs.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
No brainer really.

Hate Scholes in a team without wide men. You want to use his full passing range, you need to have proper wide presence. No clue what Tassotti is doing as a wing back as well.

Pat gets my vote for the last time this draft as his opponent's team is something I simply can't vote for. From the next rounds, he loses my vote automatically for the sideways move of dropping Leandro for Amoros. Upgrading Leandro and not Robertson? Astounding.

GodShaveTheQueen

Leandro and De Bruyne would have been such a tasty partnership. His telepathy with Zico was simply amazing in those zones. Such an absolute shame :(

Feck this, I am changing my vote.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Think my team has the personnel to not only win back possession and catch the opposition out of position, but the skill and ball playing abilities to turn that into a counter quickly.
Your team is excellent, but Tassotti is an extremely odd choice for a wingback. He was a defensive fullback who did not provide much on the ofensive side and when you rely on him to be pretty much the only width provider on the right it raises an eyebrow. Not that he is fully uncapable of doing that, but there were much better options. Also, am uncertain about Chiellini in a sweeper role, he always had Bonucci to do that. When you count he played as a left back and prefers a left side of the pitch also, the whole team is starting to feel a bit loopsided.

I think you have some brilliant parts, but overall it falls short related to Mustard who is clean as baby's butt. Even mentioned Amoros is a better fit then Leandro considering the theme and there aren't much better fullbacks for Lobanovsky tactics then Robertson who has enough in his resume to stay comparable with any fullback in this scheme.

Pat is a team to beat the way he came out of the round 1, no doubt for me.

TheReligion

Abusive
Your team is excellent, but Tassotti is an extremely odd choice for a wingback. He was a defensive fullback who did not provide much on the ofensive side and when you rely on him to be pretty much the only width provider on the right it raises an eyebrow. Not that he is fully uncapable of doing that, but there were much better options. Also, am uncertain about Chiellini in a sweeper role, he always had Bonucci to do that. When you count he played as a left back and prefers a left side of the pitch also, the whole team is starting to feel a bit loopsided.

I think you have some brilliant parts, but overall it falls short related to Mustard who is clean as baby's butt. Even mentioned Amoros is a better fit then Leandro considering the theme and there aren't much better fullbacks for Lobanovsky tactics then Robertson who has enough in his resume to stay comparable with any fullback in this scheme.

Pat is a team to beat the way he came out of the round 1, no doubt for me.
Thanks for the thoughts Jim.

I think Tassotti had sufficient going forward as a full back although do agree he was more defensive minded. Obviously it’s all opinions but I don’t see where he falls short in his skill set of playing the role. My other option was using Donadoni but I felt Tassotti offered more especially coming up against Pat’s top heavy set up.

Zidane has a pretty much free role here and is roaming left and right.

The other temptation was to go Maldini, Chellini, Costacurta, Tassotti as a back four then bring in Donadoni and play a lopsided 4-2-2-2 with Zidane as a LAM.

I feel this set up brings more from the forwards though as it’s Del Piero’s best role with the playmaker just behind. This was also the Juve club set up.

TheReligion

Abusive
No brainer really.

Hate Scholes in a team without wide men. You want to use his full passing range, you need to have proper wide presence. No clue what Tassotti is doing as a wing back as well.

Pat gets my vote for the last time this draft as his opponent's team is something I simply can't vote for. From the next rounds, he loses my vote automatically for the sideways move of dropping Leandro for Amoros. Upgrading Leandro and not Robertson? Astounding.
Again unsure why Tassotti is considered unable to perform here as he was pretty much one of the first full backs to start showing the qualities of modern day.

Infact just lifted this from his wiki;

‘Although Tassotti primarily excelled defensively, he was a modern and versatile full-back who was also one of the first players in his position to be capable of being an offensive threat, due to his pace, athleticism, stamina, technique, and distribution, as well as his ability to make attacking runs, dribble and provide accurate crosses and assists from the right wing’

Some belters here

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I feel this set up brings more from the forwards though as it’s Del Piero’s best role with the playmaker just behind. This was also the Juve club set up.
It is still very good and would get you my vote against most sides, but in a game of fine margins it is something that will pop out.

Mind you, Tassotti is (and Italian defenders in general) still someone who can make it functional as he will provide enough workrate and runs on that side. But I just don't see it as optimal. Bit of a shame as that Del Piero - Trezeguet duo was a brilliant choice for this draft and in general I liked your Italian theme from the start.

TheReligion

Abusive
It is still very good and would get you my vote against most sides, but in a game of fine margins it is something that will pop out.

Mind you, Tassotti is (and Italian defenders in general) still someone who can make it functional as he will provide enough workrate and runs on that side. But I just don't see it as optimal. Bit of a shame as that Del Piero - Trezeguet duo was a brilliant choice for this draft and in general I liked your Italian theme from the start.
Thanks Jim!

I’ve really enjoyed this draft so hopefully something similar in the pipeline soon

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Wouldn’t fancy any of the back four against the pace of Trezeguet or the dibbling abilities of Zidane. That’s not even mentioning the link up play of Del Piero. Robertson is a weak link.

Whilst Team Pat has some lovely forwards in general my defensive unit is more than a match led by the best defender on the pitch, Maldini and his Milan counterparts Costacurta and Tassotti.

It is a tight game for me but can’t see relentless pressing causing my team much of an issue and when the ball is turned over who better than the press resistant Paul Scholes to start picking his passes and controlling affairs.
It's a lovely themed effort and your front 3 is great - the Del Piero, Zidane and Trezeguet trio could beat you in so many ways. Probably would have preferred to see Donadoni involved, either ahead of Tassotti to re-make the Milan flank (and then losing Ze Roberto from the other side to make space for a back 4) or as a more natural two-way wing-back in your 352. What was your thinking around a back 3 versus a back 4? Don't get me wrong, I like Zidane and Del Piero in those attacking midfielder / second striker gigs in a 3-5-2.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's a lovely themed effort and your front 3 is great - the Del Piero, Zidane and Trezeguet trio could beat you in so many ways. Probably would have preferred to see Donadoni involved, either ahead of Tassotti to re-make the Milan flank (and then losing Ze Roberto from the other side to make space for a back 4) or as a more natural two-way wing-back in your 352. What was your thinking around a back 3 versus a back 4? Don't get me wrong, I like Zidane and Del Piero in those attacking midfielder / second striker gigs in a 3-5-2.
Tbh Gio I was trying to acknowledge and combat Pats quite top heavy side so wanted to have the three. It was also to allow Maldini to step out with the ball with the extra security of Billy and Cheillini behind him.

I was really strong on getting Donadoni in to link up with Tassotti. My initial draft I added Costacurta, Tassotti and Savicevic and wanted to go 4-4-2 with;

Maldini-Savicevic
Tassotti-Donadoni
Costacurta

Pat then reminded me that I had to play Dino Baggio this round so it kind of threw my plans out of the window as I was very reluctant to play Dino without a deep lying playmaker given his limitations on the ball. That’s why I went with Scholes instead of Savicevic but admittedly it spoilt my plans and balance somewhat. I did toy with Zidane- Baggio but figured it would really limit Zizou and also hinder Del Piero as I always thought Del Piero was much better with a playmaker just behind him in his second striker off left role.

GodShaveTheQueen

Again unsure why Tassotti is considered unable to perform here as he was pretty much one of the first full backs to start showing the qualities of modern day.

Infact just lifted this from his wiki;

‘Although Tassotti primarily excelled defensively, he was a modern and versatile full-back who was also one of the first players in his position to be capable of being an offensive threat, due to his pace, athleticism, stamina, technique, and distribution, as well as his ability to make attacking runs, dribble and provide accurate crosses and assists from the right wing’
Showing some attacking tendencies is not a good enough qualification for me to be the sole width provider on a flank. Sure, put him behind a winger and ask him to support him, I shall be fine with that. In a 5-3-2, no way. He doesn't even have a peeler like Del Piero on his side to link up with as well. Dont want to sound harsh, but with Dino Baggio and Trezeguet on that side, its a non functional right hand side from an attacking point of view for me.

harms

Staff
Donadoni would've been a way better choice, especially considering how good your backline is personal-wise (although the roles are a bit weird, I'd probably play Maldini centrally).

TheReligion

Abusive
Showing some attacking tendencies is not a good enough qualification for me to be the sole width provider on a flank. Sure, put him behind a winger and ask him to support him, I shall be fine with that. In a 5-3-2, no way. He doesn't even have a peeler like Del Piero on his side to link up with as well. Dont want to sound harsh, but with Dino Baggio and Trezeguet on that side, its a non functional right hand side from an attacking point of view for me.
Zidane is in a free role as mentioned so operating across both areas

TheReligion

Abusive
Donadoni would've been a way better choice, especially considering how good your backline is personal-wise (although the roles are a bit weird, I'd probably play Maldini centrally).
Meh. Think it’s picky really but people like what they like. Tassotti offers more defensively than Donadoni and I don’t think Tassotti was as limited in offensive plays as folk here are making out.

I think focussing on that one thing doesn’t make or break the match up in my eyes and my stronger defence should have made it much closer given the attacking players on both sides.

Congrats @Pat_Mustard!

harms

Staff
Meh. Think it’s picky really but people like what they like. Tassotti offers more defensively than Donadoni and I don’t think Tassotti was as limited in offensive plays as folk here are making out.

I think focussing on that one thing doesn’t make or break the match up in my eyes and my stronger defence should have made it much closer given the attacking players on both sides.

Congrats @Pat_Mustard!
5-3-2 is extremely reliant on wingbacks to perform that two-way role at the absolute best level. Especially when your fullback in question doesn't have Del Piero & Zidane helping him out out wide and instead has Trezeguet & Dino Baggio... You would've gotten away with someone more defensive on the left, probably, but not on the right (although Pat's team is pretty much perfect, so maybe you wouldn't have gotten away with it either).

Tassotti had the energy to support attack when he's playing as a right fullback in a 4-4-2 — he wasn't quite a Burgnich-esque figure. But that's about the highest praise that you can give him on his attacking game.

TheReligion

Abusive
5-3-2 is extremely reliant on wingbacks to perform that two-way role at the absolute best level. Especially when your fullback in question doesn't have Del Piero & Zidane helping him out out wide and instead has Trezeguet & Dino Baggio... You would've gotten away with someone more defensive on the left, probably, but not on the right (although Pat's team is pretty much perfect, so maybe you wouldn't have gotten away with it either).

Tassotti had the energy to support attack when he's playing as a right fullback in a 4-4-2 — he wasn't quite a Burgnich-esque figure. But that's about the highest praise that you can give him on his attacking game.
I know people enjoy a bit of Lobanovski here and Pat has put it together very well so I can’t have many complaints.

I do think my side would have been comfortable in beating the high press though but it’s a game of opinions so it’s all good!

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Thanks for the thoughts Jim.

I think Tassotti had sufficient going forward as a full back although do agree he was more defensive minded. Obviously it’s all opinions but I don’t see where he falls short in his skill set of playing the role. My other option was using Donadoni but I felt Tassotti offered more especially coming up against Pat’s top heavy set up.

Zidane has a pretty much free role here and is roaming left and right.

The other temptation was to go Maldini, Chellini, Costacurta, Tassotti as a back four then bring in Donadoni and play a lopsided 4-2-2-2 with Zidane as a LAM.

Yeah, Tassotti could go forward efficiently too. Although he was more of a defensive right-back, he was not going in a gung-ho sense but had great timing of overlap and discipline in this aspect. Anyway, I think you should go with a bit more offensive rb than him since 3-5-2 relies a lot on wingback service. It would be perfect if you use Donadoni, a two-winger, in front of him.

Anyway great team with a very solid backline in Paolo, Chiellini and Billy.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah, Tassotti could go forward efficiently too. Although he was more of a defensive right-back, he was not going in a gung-ho sense but had great timing of overlap and discipline in this aspect. Anyway, I think you should go with a bit more offensive rb than him since 3-5-2 relies a lot on wingback service. It would be perfect if you use Donadoni, a two-winger, in front of him.

Anyway great team with a very solid backline in Paolo, Chiellini and Billy.
Thanks General!
Much appreciated and I’ll take on board all the feedback.

Hopefully another similar draft soon

Pat_Mustard

Congrats @Pat_Mustard!
Cheers mate and hard luck. That was a seriously impressive spine you had with Maldini, Scholes and Zidane, so much so that I went and added up your prices as I hoped you might have overspent :D.

Pat_Mustard

Leandro and De Bruyne would have been such a tasty partnership. His telepathy with Zico was simply amazing in those zones. Such an absolute shame :(

Feck this, I am changing my vote.
:lol: :(

Basically, with De Bruyne providing so much more creative impetus than Ball on that side of the pitch, I wanted more defensive security. Leandro is one of my favourite FBs, and I don't think he was poor defensively, but Amoros has massively impressed me with his quality and aggression in defensive duels. This might be unfair as it's more about the style of his teams than Leandro as an individual, but Brazil 82 were infamously lackadaisical defensively and Flamengo were far more notable for their technical brilliance rather than the speed and intensity of their game. It was enough to give me doubts about his fit for the system (I even said as much in my write up for the first match), whereas Amoros seems to fit like a glove. Robertson, annoying scrote he may be, has at this stage put together an impressive body of work in a physically demanding set up.

IMO there's significantly more overlap between De Bruyne and Leandro's qualities and zones of influence than there was between Zico and Leandro.