MSC - City vs. United

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I think a large part of the low goals for count can be attributed to not having an actual striker for a fair bit. Andreas played up top a few times and it was clear in those matches we had no one to put through. We passed around with no cutting edge since there was no one to stretch the backline and get in behind. Not much Joyce can do if he doesn't have a striker to choose. Will Keane also played 7 times only scoring once which you can't be too critical of as he just returned from an injury that kept him out for over a year.

There were matches I remember where the opposition would sit at the top of the box and we'd resort to long shots from Andreas because we had no striker to play through.

Walters_19_MuFc

Welbeck may be as fast as Wilson, but Wilson can dribble at a speed that Welbeck can't. That's what allows him to dribble from the half way line and score goals.
I'm not here to compare, because I'm glad we have two great talents at our disposal, but in my opinion, Welbeck is just as fast as Wilson when running with the ball when he gets going. Both very powerful players when they get going.

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
For the guys who watch the Under 21 matches regularly is Wilson perfoming at Pogba, Rossi and Januzaj levels of looking far too good for the level?
Totally different players with Rossi the only fair comparison.

Rossi's link up play was excellent and goalscoring exceptional so Wilson is definitely in that class. Rossi's runs off the ball were better and I think he was more tactically aware. Warren Joyce has already commented on Wilson's tactical naivety. However, due to Wilson's height and body shape when he fills out I think he has a chance of being better than Rossi.

Pogba was hit and miss at Reserve level but outstanding at U/18's.

Januzaj was class at Reserve level but played a completely different role…he wasn't prolific in front of goal nor has Wilson's pace so I wouldn't compare them.

Great performance from Wilson last night but he still has plenty to learn. He will get chances in the first team but will still play most of his football at U/21 level this season. Sounds about right to me.

Midnight1811

Totally different players with Rossi the only fair comparison.

Rossi's link up play was excellent and goalscoring exceptional so Wilson is definitely in that class. Rossi's runs off the ball were better and I think he was more tactically aware. Warren Joyce has already commented on Wilson's tactical naivety. However, due to Wilson's height and body shape when he fills out I think he has a chance of being better than Rossi.

Pogba was hit and miss at Reserve level but outstanding at U/18's.

Januzaj was class at Reserve level but played a completely different role…he wasn't prolific in front of goal nor has Wilson's pace so I wouldn't compare them.

Great performance from Wilson last night but he still has plenty to learn. He will get chances in the first team but will still play most of his football at U/21 level this season. Sounds about right to me.
Do you remember what Pique was like here? I was too young at the time. With Pogba, was he in the reserves in the 2010/11 season when we won the FA Youth Trophy ? Apparently he was good in that season, but his performances dropping the following. Also with Ravel, was he a 'hit-and-miss' in his seasons here?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Agreed, never understood how some people think Welbeck is technically weak when in fact his ball control is some of the best in the team.
Yes, I definitely meant in front of goal. Danny's pace is scary but he can panic when in a scoring position. James just puts the ball away. Ice cool.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Do you remember what Pique was like here? I was too young at the time. With Pogba, was he in the reserves in the 2010/11 season when we won the FA Youth Trophy ? Apparently he was good in that season, but his performances dropping the following. Also with Ravel, was he a 'hit-and-miss' in his seasons here?
Pique was quality but lacked pace.

Personally, I don't think he suited the English game so wasn't surprised when he returned to Spain. His ability was never in question.

Pogba played mostly for U/18's in 2010/11 and only started two games for Reserves. He was outstanding in that Youth team but for me Morrison was the catalyst and the stand out.

In 2011/12 Pogba was hit and miss in Reserves…he would have a good game…an average game and then a really poor game. In some games he would turn it on and in others he couldn't get into the game. He certainly wasn't a stand-out at that level.

Morrison was just class whenever he was on a football pitch…even at reserve level. He could transform a game at any moment. Best youth player I have seen since early 1990's.

Midnight1811

Pique was quality but lacked pace.

Personally, I don't think he suited the English game so wasn't surprised when he returned to Spain. His ability was never in question.

Pogba played mostly for U/18's in 2010/11 and only started two games for Reserves. He was outstanding in that Youth team but for me Morrison was the catalyst and the stand out.

In 2011/12 Pogba was hit and miss in Reserves…he would have a good game…an average game and then a really poor game. In some games he would turn it on and in others he couldn't get into the game. He certainly wasn't a stand-out at that level.

Morrison was just class whenever he was on a football pitch…even at reserve level. He could transform a game at any moment. Best youth player I have seen since early 1990's.
Yeah I see, reason I asked about Pique was I only seen him once, and that was his game against Bolton all those years ago. People always used to say, oh Fergie let Pique go, he's a real gem, but the problem was we had Vidic and Rio, and they were unstoppable.

Raas, when I read you saying that about Ravel I think, what a guy. Only if he didn't mess up his career. Was he even a ManUnited supporter whilst he was here?

FromTheBench

Evans seemed to stand out more playing alongside Pique or when they respectively played in between their loans tbh.

Infact in terms of defenders Evans was pretty much standout at every level IIRC till he made our first team and was behind Rio, Vidic.

Was viewing a Sunderland forum and majority still regard him as their best loan acquisition they can remember. Got them promoted and then helped majorly in keeping them up.

Midnight1811

Evans seemed to stand out more playing alongside Pique or when they respectively played in between their loans tbh.

Infact in terms of defenders Evans was pretty much standout at every level IIRC till he made our first team and was behind Rio, Vidic.

Was viewing a Sunderland forum and majority still regard him as their best loan acquisition they can remember. Got them promoted and then helped majorly in keeping them up.
Yeah, Evans also got a lot of stick for some reason? Don't know why since. Thankfully I wasn't one of them.

Looking at this image below is class.