MSC - City vs. United

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Forget about next season, let's play him this season.

More of a pure scorer to play with Rooney/van Persie when one needs a rest or is injured.

RedRevongge

For the guys who watch the Under 21 matches regularly is Wilson perfoming at Pogba, Rossi and Januzaj levels of looking far too good for the level?

Dazzmondo

City's 4 strikers are better IMO.
They are right now, but you never know how much Welbeck and Wilson could improve. Aguero is also their only striker comparable to Wayne and Robin imo.

FromTheBench

City's 4 strikers are better IMO.
We have the better set with Cheech in those terms as he is more proven than Wilson with Rooney giving us the real edge.

But even with Wilson i'd say we have better variety.

Raw

They are right now, but you never know how much Welbeck and Wilson could improve. Aguero is also their only striker comparable to Wayne and Robin imo.
Agreed, they just have better strength in depth with their strikers and Jovetic is a real talent.

Still, Wilson and Welbeck can become great players.

Dazzmondo

For the guys who watch the Under 21 matches regularly is Wilson perfoming at Pogba, Rossi and Januzaj levels of looking far too good for the level?
Any time I saw him last season, he did look that level, yes.

Sweet Square

Yep easily I would say. As some have mentioned it's almost cheating have him play in the U21's.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Is Wilson as fast as Welbeck? He looks rapid. Maybe he can do the Robben/Welbeck role well for us up front in our 3-5-2 against the shitter teams.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Looks like he might have taken another step now. If that's the case then, yeah, he'll be too good for this level of footie.

FromTheBench

Nitpicking but Pogba never really reached those levels for our U21s despite obvious potential.

Anyway, Wilson definitely is right now. Different type of player though ofcourse.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Is Wilson as fast as Welbeck? He looks rapid. Maybe he can do the Robben/Welbeck role well for us up front in our 3-5-2 against the shitter teams.
Hard to say, but Wilson has the speed to leave defenders behind, and keep them there after he's past them, so he's fast enough.

In Rainbows

Left foot, right foot, strength, amazing composure. This guy looks like amazing poacher. Lets hope he can add something to his link-up play as well.
His link up play is great. He's able to hold up the ball with his back facing the goal really well, and he is also able to at times pick out great passes and combine well. No he's not like Rooney in that sense or Suarez, but it's still really good.

Wilson is. The difference with him and Januzaj is that Januzaj got on the ball more so he would always have an influence on the match. Wilson can have quiet games due to getting very little service. He obviously shows his class when he gets to see the ball though and him consistently scoring goal after goal (with some really impressive solo goals) makes everyone a believer in him.

If he would only score Chicharito type goals, while still scoring at the same rate as now I think there would be less hype about him, but that's not the case. He scores some brilliant individual goals that makes you think this kid is special. He's a complete striker that is only missing headers from his arsenal (not that he isn't capable of them, just that he doesn't score them often) and his technique isn't Zlatan special. But again, not having Zlatan technique for a striker isn't a negative.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Nitpicking but Pogba never really reached those levels for our U21s despite obvious potential.

Anyway, Wilson definitely is right now. Different type of player though ofcourse.
Not sure if serious? Pogba played at gear 1 most of the time for the U21's (reserves at the time, I think) and still made it look easy.

FromTheBench

He probably has better acceleration than Welbeck but Welbeck might have the edge over distances tough to tell. Wilson can carry the ball rapidly like Welbeck can't so far though.

Thing is though Welbeck is more a all round player with link up play but lacks killer instinct and goals right now. Don't expect that from Wilson that much in terms of doing the sacrificial work, as he needs to be the main lead the line striker and he'll get goals.

FromTheBench

Not sure if serious? Pogba played at gear 1 most of the time for the U21's (reserves at the time, I think) and still made it look easy.
He never dominated this level like a Januzaj or Rossi did.

He had some moments during a spell of couple of games which everyone used to gush too and showed his class definitely but then went away and faded off games except like 1/2 performances.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He probably has better acceleration than Welbeck but Welbeck might have the edge over distances tough to tell. Wilson can carry the ball rapidly like Welbeck can't so far though.

Thing is though Welbeck is more a all round player with link up play but lacks killer instinct and goals right now. Don't expect that from Wilson that much in terms of doing the sacrificial work, as he needs to be the main lead the line striker and he'll get goals.
Maybe Welbeck and Wilson would make a good pairing.

In Rainbows

Welbeck may be as fast as Wilson, but Wilson can dribble at a speed that Welbeck can't. That's what allows him to dribble from the half way line and score goals.

Sam

Lets also hope this isnt the last time Wilson puts in a match winning performance against City :drool:

Brightonian

Gutted that I had to miss this, but glad I missed some of you lads soiling yourselves in that first half. Some absolute crap written in this thread when we were 1-0 down. A group of brilliant players who have been so good together for some time now... one bad half of football, City score 1 and suddenly we're 'shit in attack', 'lacking direction at this level', 'just not good enough against this quality of opposition'. Take a look at yourselves!

For anyone who likes being proven right, the formula is so easy: be as optimistic as possible about our youngsters. I've been doing it since the Pogba-Morrison generation and it's working a treat:

- Pogba 'overrated and not good enough, we can't trust him with our midfield and have to buy quality in to replace Scholes'. Now one of the highest-rated midfielders in the world. 'Why on earth didn't we keep Pogba?!'
- Januzaj 'will be lucky to get more than a couple of LC starts next season, he might look good at U21 level but 'you lot' are underestimating the step up to senior football, he's nowhere near ready'. Probably our most dangerous attacking player last season, and regarded as pretty much the best young player in the league alongside Sterling (who was in the team who came 2nd and scored goals for fun.)
- Wilson: 'so much hype about this kid, he's clearly not on the same level as players like Pogba and Januzaj, he'll struggle when he gets a chance against full-grown men'. Scored two goals in his debut. Is so obviously ready for any level of football you want to throw at him.

I was accused of 'hyping' Wilson just earlier today. It's fecking ridiculous. If you actually know what you're looking at, it's really not difficult to judge how good a senior player someone will be based on their youth performances. Obviously there are no guarantees, and you have to take the step up into account, but it's easy enough to do that when you've been watching youth teams for long enough.

And when Wilson makes it, Pearson, Harrop, Rothwell and Pereira will be next. 'Never in the same class as Pogba, Januzaj, Wilson...' You wonder if one day there'll be people on this forum writing something along the lines of 'Joe Bloggs is so overhyped on here. Doubt he's good enough for the first team. You lot like him but he's not in the same class as players who have made it like Pogba, Januzaj, Keane, Lawrence, Lingard, Wilson, Pearson, Harrop, Mitchell, Rashford, Gribbin, Gomes, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.'

Feck me. /Rant.

EDIT: Also, sorry, have to get this in at every opportunity... 'Elite Development Squad'. :lol:

Last edited:

Brightonian

When he says composure, he is refering to his decisiveness in front of goal. Welbeck has one of the best first touch in the team.
Agreed, never understood how some people think Welbeck is technically weak when in fact his ball control is some of the best in the team.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gutted that I had to miss this, but glad I missed some of you lads soiling yourselves in that first half. Some absolute crap written in this thread when we were 1-0 down. A group of brilliant players who have been so good together for some time now... one bad half of football, City score 1 and suddenly we're 'shit in attack', 'lacking direction at this level', 'just not good enough against this quality of opposition'. Take a look at yourselves!

For anyone who likes being proven right, the formula is so easy: be as optimistic as possible about our youngsters. I've been doing it since the Pogba-Morrison generation and it's working a treat:

- Pogba 'overrated and not good enough, we can't trust him with our midfield and have to buy quality in to replace Scholes'. Now one of the highest-rated midfielders in the world. 'Why on earth didn't we keep Pogba?!'
- Januzaj 'will be lucky to get more than a couple of LC starts next season, he might look good at U21 level but 'you lot' are underestimating the step up to senior football, he's nowhere near ready'. Probably our most dangerous attacking player last season, and regarded as pretty much the best young player in the league alongside Sterling (who was in the team who came 2nd and scored goals for fun.)
- Wilson: 'so much hype about this kid, he's clearly not on the same level as players like Pogba and Januzaj, he'll struggle when he gets a chance against full-grown men'. Scored two goals in his debut. Is so obviously ready for any level of football you want to throw at him.

I was accused of 'hyping' Wilson just earlier today. It's fecking ridiculous. If you actually know what you're looking at, it's really not difficult to judge how good a senior player someone will be based on their youth performances. Obviously there are no guarantees, and you have to take the step up into account, but it's easy enough to do that when you've been watching youth teams for long enough.

And when Wilson makes it, Pearson, Harrop, Rothwell and Pereira will be next. 'Never in the same class as Pogba, Januzaj, Wilson...' You wonder if one day there'll be people on this forum writing something along the lines of 'Joe Bloggs is so overhyped on here. Doubt he's good enough for the first team. You lot like him but he's not in the same class as players who have made it like Pogba, Januzaj, Keane, Lawrence, Lingard, Wilson, Pearson, Harrop, Mitchell, Rashford, Gribbin, Gomes, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub.'

Feck me. /Rant.

EDIT: Also, sorry, have to get this in at every opportunity... 'Elite Development Squad'. :lol:
Agree with you mate. It really does my nut in when the people are going on about he isn't as good as Pogba etc. and they've watched them once or twice if even that.

In Rainbows

I don't know how anyone who has watched the reserves play can not think they struggle to score goals. Last season we scored 34 goals. It's like you're offended at any criticism. It's been that way for two seasons. Part of the reason is due to loans, but the fact remains that United haven't been the best in attack. It's certainly not an overreaction based on 1 half.

Brightonian

I don't know how anyone who has watched the reserves play can not think they struggle to score goals. Last season we scored 34 goals. It's like you're offended at any criticism. It's been that way for two seasons. Part of the reason is due to loans, but the fact remains that United haven't been the best in attack. It's certainly not an overreaction based on 1 half.
First of all I'm not 'offended'. I just disagree. And second of all, I didn't quote anyone saying that we don't score many goals, because as you say that's statistically true. I quoted people saying we were not good enough, or shit at attacking (which is not the same as not scoring enough goals, and certainly not at a level where it's still more about developing the lads than winning anything.)

We don't score enough goals because, as has been the case for a couple of seasons across a couple of age groups, we have a serious striker deficit. As Willo shows again and again, he is always willing to bang goals in for fun. But when he's injured (which happened for a big chunk of last season), we generally haven't had a proper striker to replace him with. We played so many games with Pereira or Lawrence as makeshift strikers last season. Attacking well, but struggling to score without a single proper striker on the pitch.

So it's certainly not something to suddenly get hysterical about just because a fairly good City side score one goal against us when we're having a dodgy half of football.

Morpheus 7

Feck me. /Rant.

What a post! One of the best things I've read in here, well said mate.

Trizy

Doubters finally proven wrong by Wilson, shocking, never saw that coming :rolleyes: